Microsoft

Relevance Date Difficulty

Explore Intern Interview

Explore Intern
Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details – I had a phone interview, then an on-site interview. All the phone interview questions were non-technical (e.g. tell me about a CS project you are working on, what kind of leadership challenges have you had), and the on-site interview consisted of three technical interviews.

Interview Question – What is the best way to generate the fibonacci sequence.   Answer Question

Redmond, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details – I was flown to Redmond for an initial dinner with a couple of former explorers. It helps to talk with them about the interview process and ask them what they look for. I had three interviews the next day with a PM, SDE and SDET.

Interview Question – Dress casual and I was pretty much asked to code in two rounds. They want you to learn from interview to interview so make sure you show that you are growing as you progress through the day.   Answer Question

Redmond, WA

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Microsoft in February 2012.

Interview Details – I didn't apply - I just dropped my resume off at the Campus Career center and Microsoft contacted me a few months later, asking for a phone interview. The phone interview went great - basically probed to see how I solved problems, rather than to see how much experience I had - and I was invited to Redmond for in person interviews. It was great - they flew all the Explorer candidates out, gave us a nice hotel to stay in, and party buses to and from Microsoft campus. We had three interviews that day: one with a PM, one with an SDE, and one with an SDET.

Interview Question – One of the people I talked to asked what I like to do in my free time. I should have expected this question but I didn't... and didn't know how to respond.   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in November 2012.

Interview Details – I talked to them at my career fair and they called me for a 15 minute phone screening about 3 weeks later. They arranged a flight out to Redmond to interview onsite.

I was a freshman and hadn't taken many programming classes, so I think they made the questions particularly easy. They asked me PM and dev questions, though I can't remember if I was asked much about test. For PM, I had to design an ATM for kids, and for dev, I had to write fizz buzz and a program to reverse a string.

2 days after the interview, I was called with the offer - though I know some others had to wait longer for their offer.

Interview Question – Writing fizz buzz was unexpected because I thought that would be too easy. I never wrote it before (you should tell your interviewer if you already know a question), and I made a small mistake - my interviewer pointed out there was a problem somewhere and seemed satisfied when I found it and fixed it.   Answer Question

Redmond, WA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details – Applied online in early September, got an email about an interview around November and after a brief phone interview was flown out to Redmond for 3 short interviews. The interview process is very easy and friendly, in one day you talk to three different employees. The explorer program is great and you get to try all 3 roles, PM, Dev, and Test, while you are interning. It is meant for freshman and sophomores so the interview is easy and all rounded (design questions with a few coding questions).

Interview Question – What is a feature about Microsoft Word that you do not like? How would you fix it?   Answer Question

Interviewed at Microsoft

Interview Details – They were very nice about it! First round is a phone call with the recruiter. No technical questions, just fit questions. Then, they flew me out for three days in Redmond. Three rounds of interviews, one for each discipline. Be sure to ask questions and the interviewer will guide you through the thought process.

Interview Question – Design a vending machine for a blind person.   Answer Question

Explore Intern Interview

Explore Intern
Redmond, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in February 2011.

Interview Details – Process began with a friendly phone interview with a recruiter (non-technical and mostly program-management related). Series of 3 on-site interviews, including one with a dev manager that mixed technical and product design questions. Technical and coding questions were fairly straightforward data structures & algorithms questions. Interviewers were very friendly and generally enthusiastic when answering questions about the company.

Interview Question – How would you design an elevator for a school in which certain floors are restricted to students?   View Answer

Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in February 2013.

Interview Details – Was called about a month after submitting my resume at my school's career fair. Had a non-technical phone screen asking me about a couple of my projects and found out after a couple of days that I would be flown out to the headquarters in Seattle.

I had three interviewers, one by a senior PM and the other two by software engineers. The PM interview asked me some broad design questions and the other two delved into sketching user interfaces and coding on a whiteboard.

Interview Question – From a hardware perspective, how would you implement the kinect?   Answer Question

Explorer Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details – First, I had a phone interview with a recruiter. I was asked just general questions as well as several questions on how I worked in a team.
 I was then contacted a few weeks later to travel to Washington for the next round of interviews. They were interviewing about 40 people at once for the explorer program. I was taken through three 30 minute technical interviews - one with a SD and two with SDETs

Interview Question – Pretend I know nothing about technology and describe what the internet is to me   Answer Question

Interviewed at Microsoft

Interview Details – screening in person then fly out interview

Interview Question – How to test a vending machine (I know this is a simple problem, but I'm not familiar with the test discipline)   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Microsoft

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Microsoft Explorer Intern interview questions and advice. All 10 interview reviews posted anonymously by Microsoft employees and interview candidates.