Microsoft

Getting the Interview

5 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Redmond, WA

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details – fyi-Microsoft does not recruit from my campus
1. resume drop: over the summer
2. found out that I made first round in September, which is a 45 minute phone interview. Not too tough, a lot of behavioral, one case-type question which wasn't that bad (about project valuation).
3. found out that I made the superday, which was in early November. The superday was weird. Three 45 minute interviews back to back. Pretty bad interview experience honestly. One of the interviewers hardly talked. Second interviewer literally asked me why I wouldn't want to work at a place like Apple. Third interviewer was the best, super nice, and it was the technical interview. All in all three interviews, two behavioral and one technical.

Learned a week later that I didn't get the position, no feedback at all, and took longer than they said to get back to me.

all in all, a pretty bad interview experience

Interview Question – Describe your biggest failure   Answer Question

Finance Intern Interview

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details – Applied online for a summer position in finance and got an email to schedule a phone interview just a few weeks after. The interviewer wasn't particularly friendly and there were a lot of technical questions and very little behavioral. I wanted to ask a lot of questions at the end but I was cut off because she said she was under a tight schedule.

Interview Question – You are given nine balls, one of which weighs less than the rest. You
are also given a traditional two-sided scale. How many times do you
need to weigh balls to determine which is the lightest one?
  View Answer

Interviewed at Microsoft

Interview Details – Phone interview first and then a face-to-face interview in the office

Interview Question – Most difficult one would be:" How did you improve your customer service?" (I told them I was running a small business)   Answer Question

Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in March 2012.

Interview Details – Initially I was contacted to arrange a phone interview.

The phone interview was very casual, simply running through my CV and they asked about a time when I had dealt with a situation where I had a disagreement with somebody. Before the interview was over they hinted that I had been successful. This all took about 20 mins.

The following week I was sent a confirmation email that I was through to the face to face interview (Final round). On the day I met with the Western Europe Financial controller. For the first 15 mins, I was talked through where the role fit in to the whole organisation. I was given a few details of the day to day job and was told that if I did the role well, there was potential to be offered a full time contract. Following this I was asked to run through my CV and was asked some competency/ behavioural questions. The whole thing took about 45 mins. If I am honest it was a very simply and basic interview with no questions designed to catch anyone out. Having said that, there were few probing questions so you really had to sell yourself.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you had to deal with somebody who was assertive?   Answer Question

Finance Intern Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in February 2012.

Interview Details – Very simple interview. Was asked about my resume and my motivation for applying to work at Microsoft. No technical questions. Was asked a brainteaser and given a pad of paper to work through solving it. Interviewer was very pleasant and asked if I had any questions. Dress was meant to be casual. Was vaguely told to hear back from them in about three weeks.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work at Microsoft?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Microsoft

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!

Microsoft Videos

Microsoft – Why Work for Us?

What do you want in a job? Do you want more than a paycheck? At Microsoft, you can discover potential you didn’t know you had, push your limits, turn your ideas into reality and make a real impact on the industry and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Microsoft Finance Intern interview questions and advice. All 5 interview reviews posted anonymously by Microsoft employees and interview candidates.