Microsoft Hardware Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Sep 16, 2014

3.3

24 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Hardware Engineer Interview

The process is very simple. By the way, this interview is in school. It should take around 30 minutes, but for me it took only around 20 minutes. It is very straight forward. Three questions are waiting for you. From the point view of today, the questions are quite simple. All about transistors and gates.

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Hardware Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft.

Interviewed on campus

Hardware Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft in September 2013.

Got an on-campus interview by submitting resume through campus job fair. Interview last for 30mins. Questions including: RC circuits, high-pass low-pass, ideal opamp gain. build latch with NAND gates.

Hardware Engineer Interview

Travel was paid for and very easy to schedule. Interview consisted of 3-4 one on one interviews with people from different teams within the division. Asked mainly technical questions, testing questions and software questions. I don't remember being asked any behavioral questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft.

It takes a long time for recruiters to get back to interviewers. I took 5 weeks before they told me they hired someone else.

Also, be ready to talk pretty much all day and not really get to eat lunch. I was pretty exhausted by the time 6PM rolled around, and I'd started at 10AM. Also, be very prepared to answer questions about your school projects.

Interview Questions
    • A single-elimination tennis tournament has n teams. How many games will be played before there is a winner?   View Answers (3)

Hardware Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

From University Career fair, I invited to interview at my school

Interview Questions
    • They gave me a RC circuit, and ask me to find rise and fall time.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

I first had an interview on campus for the hardware Engineering position. It was a very general interview where I was asked questions about experiences and course projects I'd listed on my resume. At the end of it, I was asked what kind of position within the hardware division I was interested in and I opted for Firmware/Embedded Systems.

I was called for the onsite interview. It was a five round interview process where I interviewed with people from the xbox and surface teams. I was expecting firmware type questions and most of my questions were circuit design/VLSI type questions. There were some puzzles thrown in as well. Overall, I thought the interview process was pretty simple and straight forward but they were looking to hire someone who was not looking at working on something in particular. They were looking for a well rounded Electrical Engineer who could fill the PCB design, Digital Design and Firmware Engineering roles all with ease.

I was given a transistor circuit and I was asked to find the current flowing through one of the resistors.

Interview Questions
    • Write a program in the language of your choice to shuffle a deck of cards. And how would you do it without using the rand function?   Answer Question
    • Write a Program to reverse the order of a linked list using recursions.   Answer Question
    • I was given a transistor circuit in common base mode and was asked to find the current flowing through one of the resisters.   Answer Question
    • Write a program to count the number of bits that are '1' a 32 bit integer.   Answer Question

Hardware Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Microsoft.

I submitted resume in campus career fair, got reply pretty quick. After two turns of phone interview, they couldn't place me in a fit group, I got declines.

Interview Questions
    • They asked some questions regarding logic design, data structure, your resume, nothing is hard, all quite easy as long as you are prepared.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in December 2012.

applied via college info event. wrote a nice cover letter to HR and he forwarded me a chance for phone interview.

phone interview setup with application. interview consist of Mech E asking me how i solve problems and how would I ask for help

then i waited 2 weeks and email invitation to Seattle.

4 interviews, however, i only had 3 technical and 1 HR. i realized when I only had 1 HR interview; i was on the short end?

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in October 2012.

Started the process by applying through my campus recruiting website. I was contacted by a campus recruiter for MS and was invited for an on-campus screening. The interviewer was an engineer for the Surface team, and asked me a variety of relatively basic/intermediate circuit analysis questions as well as design questions. Some questions that were asked involved a voltage clipper circuit, BJT amplifiers, and some digital logic.

A couple weeks after this interview, they contacted me for a final round at the MS headquarters in Redmond, WA. Since I lived within ~15 miles I opted to drive there myself, though they did offer plane/hotel accommodations for out of state applicants. Once I got there, I was briefed by a different recruiter who explained that I would be in 3-5 interviews with engineers from the Xbox team.

The interview process was very straightforward, and all of the engineers I talked to were extremely friendly and put me at ease. Mostly I was surprised at the lack of technical and puzzle questions throughout the interview (I got asked more technical questions during the screening). The first interviewer asked me to explain several transistor/op amp type circuits and asked detailed questions about some of my previous projects in school. The second interviewer was very laid back and asked general questions about my background and why I wanted to work there. After this, I had a lunch interview (yes, I had to answer all sorts of behavioral questions in between chews) and then met with the 4th. I guess I met expectations at this point, because my next interviewer was the hiring manager who oversaw the division. He asked me some tough questions about my background (probably to make sure I was really qualified) and then answered a lot of questions I had about the role.

About 5 days later I got a call from the recruiter saying that I got the position! The manager also sent me an email congratulating me.

Interview Questions
    • What were some design tradeoffs you have made with a project? How did you make the decision and why?   Answer Question
    Had no basis or need for negotiation. Other offers from big name companies were well below this offer.