Microsoft

Getting the Interview

3 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Redmond, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details – I am currently an junior in EE at Caltech.

I had been an Explore intern the summer before, so I was able to use my campus recruiter contacts to help initialize an interview process quite early in october. Being an explore intern before, however, didn't really give any more advantages than that. I had only done basic software and the position I was looking for was in hardware (which was my real interest and passion).

The interview process was longer than that of the Software positions. Instead of 3 back to back, we had 4 -5 interviews back to back. All of us were placed in a large conference room and people were just being called out one by one. The most competitive school that other candidates were from, that I can remember, was Carnegie Mellon and possibly UC Berkeley. It might have just been that I was at a very early interview round.

Each interview was from someone of different team from popular products. The questions very different as well ,ranging form basic analog, and Digital, to basic signal processing. There were no software questions.

Interview Questions

• Given a blackbox, how would you convert a pulse signal into a sinusoidal output?   View Answer
  • Write a finite state machine for a soda machine that takes only returns 5, 10, and 25 cents.   View Answer
  • Some op amp configuration question. Wasn't TOO BAD, if you remember the basics   Answer Question
  • Class A amp with BJT. Asked about characterizing the bias, small-signal gain, etc. Basic fundamentals   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No neg :P

Mountain View, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details – I filled in the application through college career fair and got the feedback in 3 weeks. One guy in XBOX team interviewed me. It's easy questions over all until I failed on the latch question because it was not the usual way I made a latch.

Interview Questions

Mountain View, CA

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details – On site at Mountain View, California. Before onsite there was an on campus interview which was mainly behavioral. The onsite interview was with the Xbox team. Consisted of 5 interviews with different people but not necessarily from the same team. Questions ranged from verilog coding for Fibonnacci wo some operating system concepts

Interviews for Top Jobs at Microsoft

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!

Microsoft Videos

Microsoft – Why Work for Us?

What do you want in a job? Do you want more than a paycheck? At Microsoft, you can discover potential you didn’t know you had, push your limits, turn your ideas into reality and make a real impact on the industry and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Microsoft Hardware Intern interview questions and advice. All 3 interview reviews posted anonymously by Microsoft employees and interview candidates.