Microsoft

Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Contractor Interview

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Contractor
Hyderābād (India)

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in June 2010.

Interview Details – 4 interviews on same day
we can write logic in any programming language, but writing on paper or white board is required (no computer)
there is a no single correct answer, just if you are giving a solution or not, and if you are improving it or not is the thing which is seen.

1st interview - general programming questions - single tech interviewer, asked about 10-15 questions oops concepts, c++, small programmings questions, and question on how to store many data types in 1 type (in c# there is a type called object which is base for all data types/classes)

2nd interview - senior programmer - answer was required to be written on white board, it was very difficult, but he dint care about the syntax, but he just cared about the logic, gave a solution, improved it, in the end he asked what did u learn from this interview outcome? i said, may be i can come to the optimal solution directly if i take a little more time.

3rd question - management - very cool guy - just 2 to 3 questions, very logical ones, question was 2 people are circling a very large circle, when will they meet? i failed to answer this, but he felt i was ok which is correct, the problem here is i assumed they both were circling at a constant speed so they wudnt meet, for example, if they were at different speed (one is faster) then at some point in time they wud meet, so simple, the speed = distance / time like formula will tell when they will meet assuming circle is of some circumference (distance here) u will get the time since u can assume some different speed & same distance for both.

i think thats it passed, worked for about 3+years.

Interview Question – question on how to store many data types in 1 type   View Answer

Negotiation Details – this was a contractor position, my company wud have agreed some payment for me.

Microsoft IT Interview

Microsoft IT

Interviewed at Microsoft

Interview Details – Focus is on logic and algorithm rather than language of programming.
You need to be confident and show passion towards the company.
There was an aptitude round followed by a 1hr of coding round.
Then there were 3 technical PIs and last was the HR round.

Interview Question – Questions were asked on dbms, networking and main focus was algorithms and logic.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern
Hyderābād (India)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Microsoft in August 2013.

Interview Details – Written Test, Online Coding, F2F

Interview Question – About Database querying.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) V Interview

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) V
Hyderābād (India)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in December 2013.

Interview Details – Applied directly. Recruiter sent document that contains links for interview preparation, links suchas careercup...etc. Recruiter followup through phone and e-mails to check if I am ready to take interview. After a month of sending interview preparation material, interview scheduled. Interview happened through skype. Interviewer has Windows 8 OS in his laptop and do not know how to use skype with Win 8, use suchas chat, talk and browse, it is bit different in Win 8. Asked to write program on online "collabedit". I have close to 15 years experience, interview technique would have been different.

Interview Question – Writing a efficient program within given time. Unless you are mug up you won't clear   Answer Question

Operations Analyst Interview

Operations Analyst
Hyderābād (India)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Microsoft in April 2012.

Interview Details – The interview consists of 7 rounds + one HR

Explain Raid 0,1 and 5 and 6

Sp_who2 fields

Perfmon counters for OS health

AWA switch in SQL

Difference between 32 bit and 64 bit operation system

Give me a scenario where you proactively acted to avert an outage in your current role.

A website loads slow for the first 10 minutes , how do you troubleshoot this issue.

IIS log format and common Http error codes is a must read

What is TCP three way handshake. ?

What is the difference between ASP and ASP.net, what are the advantages of ASP.net . ?

Any experience with ASP.net programming.?

What is UDP and TCP?

Draw detailed IIS architecture. ?

What is the difference between Incident management and problem management ?

Lots of scenarios were given to asses situational troubleshooting.

Interview Question – Given a chance what would you do to make Hyderabad a world-class city.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Not much scope for negotiating

Software Development Engineer Interview

Software Development Engineer
Hyderābād (India)

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in December 2011.

Interview Details – Interview Details:
One written exam at campus, 20 MCQ and 4 coding questions.
4 rounds of Technical Interviews followed by HR at MSIDC

Interview Question – every questions were difficult and unexpected ;)   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Program Manager
Hyderābād (India)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2010.

Interview Details – From the very beginning the interview was mostly around problem solving capabilities be it around designing solutions for retail or some complex puzzle or algorithm. I underwent 5 rounds of interviews that lasted almost full day including breaks.

Interview Question – I did not know about Program Management role and the hiring manager could not fully articulate it. I realised, if hiring manager is having such a hard time explaining, it must be a challenging role.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much of negotiation. I moved from US and didn't know the local market in India therefore just accepted the position.

User Experience Designer Interview

User Experience Designer
Hyderābād (India)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details – 4-5 rounds, extempore design problems to solve, look for creative out of box solution, method and intellectual horse power

Interview Question – design for blind   View Answer

Negotiation Details – much above market average

Associate Consultant Interview

Associate Consultant
Hyderābād (India)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details – 2 telephonic rounds , 1 round coding at MS Office, 1 round for discussion about the written code

Interview Question – Most of the questions were normal, but in code review discussion, they were looking for generic and maintainable code.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Software Development Engineer
Hyderābād (India)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in August 2009.

Interview Details – I was interviewed on the phone and then invited to Hyderabad for more interviews. All the usual software questions ( data structures et al ).

I was asked to write bubble sort in the third interview. I wrote it and was immediately dismissed as wrong. I walked through the code and was dismissed again. The interview said that in bubble sort, the numbers bubble to the top. He made hand signs showing a supposed bubbling action. I have yet to stop laughing.

I felt serious regional feelings in this interview - apparently he had flown down from Redmond and recently settled back in Hyderabad. I am from a different part of India - trying really hard not to connect any regional stuff.

Interview Question – Nothing really - all the normal stuff.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Microsoft

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Microsoft interview questions and advice in Hyderābād. All 98 interview reviews posted anonymously by Microsoft employees and interview candidates.