Microsoft Interview Questions in India

Updated Apr 16, 2015
Updated Apr 16, 2015

3.3

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at Microsoft (Bangalore (India)) in September 2014.

Interview

I got a mail from Microsoft that there are openings for the post of Associate Consultant. I needed to send resume if interested and was told if my resume got shortlisted I would be sent a link for online assessment. The requirement was 1-3 years of experience in automation testing. I applied and got call for the next round.

Round 1 : Online test consisting of 80 questions to be answered in 90 mins. It consisted of 4 sections of 20 questions each. English, logical reasoning, quants and technical- these were the four sections. The test was conducted by CoCubes.

Round 2 : Personal interview round of approx 40-50 mins. Completely technical round consisting of 2-3 coding questions wherein I had to write code and tell the test cases. I was asked testing related questions like SDLC, test case design techniques, software models like agile, waterfall etc. I was asked to implement find and replace functionality for a text editor and few other questions related to it.

Round 3 : Personal interview round of approx 40-50 mins again. This time they asked me to design test cases for real life objects like AC knob present in car. Certain questions from DBMS wherein I had to write query. Some logical questions and puzzles. 2 coding questions based on arrays and stacks.

Round 4 : Managerial interview of approx 1hour 15 mins. This round was telephonic and I was asked about my work experience and questions related to my work. Cross questions based on my replies. Basic purpose was to check my knowledge of the business process I have been working on. Then some attitute and behavioural questions.

Round 5 : HR round of approx 15-20 mins. I was asked general real life questions wherein I was given some situation and I had to provide solutions to eradicate the problem. Few questions related to my CV.

The interviewers were very friendly and did not make me feel nervous at all. Overall it was a positive experience.

Interview Questions

• Questions to write program on strings , arrays and stacks like Reverse a String, find and replace functionality in tect editor etc.   1 Answer

Interview

Applies through university.First, there was a written coding test- where there were two easy coding questions- one was if u have a rotated sorted array, write the function to find a given key in o(logn).
    In the interviews they asked questions on DS and many OS questions.
    There was:
    1) coding round
    2) write a code on paper for the given problem
    3) Technical interview 1
    4) Technical interview 2
    5) HR

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Microsoft (Hyderābād (India)) in August 2014.

Interview

Online Test conducted by Cocubes. Can be given from home.

At Microsoft Office :

1 Written Test followed by 2 Technical 1 Managerial(kind of role play and case study round) and 1 HR(kind of stress plus typical HR) interview

Technical rounds consist of 5 algorithms from DS and Algorithms(You can code in any language), approx 5-10 from OS, 2-5 que from DBMS, 5-10 From Networks and 2-5 from Testing.

Have a heavy breakfast before going to Microsoft office as it will be very long day there. Do not get irritated by long day as HR is the stress round in which people normally screw up because of high fatigue level.

Explain very clearly and in depth your past projects and your role.

Interview Questions

• Be logical and clear. You have to be very very thorough in knowledge as frequently questions like explain some term to a layman can arise. Nothing is too difficult. Just good presence of mind and logical skills with least nervousness would help crack the interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I am an entry level fresher. I got around 170 % hike so there was no scope of negotiation. Microsoft cares a lot about employees and gives lucrative compensation with best working environment. So, in short no need to worry about compensation.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Microsoft in August 2014.

Interview

A short MCQ round of 15 questions was held.Then a coding round of two questions was undertaken by us.
    Later after a few days the guys came to campus for interviews.After 2 or 3 rounds they selected the candidates. Students with good communication skills were selected after 2 round only.

Interview Questions

• Convert a binary search tree in place in a sorted doubly link list.   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft in August 2014.

Interview

There was a written test(15 MCQ ques which mainly consists of basic C questions by cocubes).50 students were shortlisted followed by coding round(2 questions).Around 25 students were shortlisted further.Then 3 interviews + HR round was there.

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in August 2014.

Interview

Interview process was good. Gave 3 round of interview in NCR and then one more round interview in Hyderabad MSD. As per me last round went good but I got -ve feedback from interviewer .What I believe there is some racism .I guess south indian does not like north Indian guys . Moreover I do not know what they were looking for .

In real scenario when you make project plan you get feedback from all stakeholders to get the duration of each activities and based on that you come up with schedule and budget but in interview it should be the common sense that all duration are based on assumption taken by PM.

I guess they want people to create exact project plan in 3 hours .

Interview Questions

• made project plan on system.This was not difficult but when you making alosne then most of the things are o assumption based.   2 Answers

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Microsoft (Hyderābād (India)) in August 2014.

Interview

The process was quite simple. I had applied through college placement department. Initial round was aptitude, this was an online round.Those who cleared this round were intimated about the second round which was online coding round consisting of two questions which were quite simple. Those who cleared this were shortlisted for third round which was a written coding round,consisted of one simple question. They were not concerned if you could solve the problem but were curious to see as to what logic was a person using. Some candidates from the second round were directly sent to the fourth round. The fourth and fifth rounds were technical interview. All rounds were elimination rounds. Last was the HR round.

Interview Questions

• All questions were quite average. Not too tough and not too simple. All demanded presence of mind and out of the box approaches.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft (Patiala (India)) in August 2014.

Interview

The process was conducted by our university. First there was a objective round in which questions related to all the fields were asked, but mainly were from C,C++. Then there was a coding round. Tree and graph based questions were asked.

Interview Questions

• Group fly round was the most unexpected in which all the candidates provided the same answer but without any specific reason some were short listed   Answer Question

Interview

Had a written test consisting of DS and algo questions.
    Then there were four rounds of technical interviews. During the interview all questions were related to DS and algo. Nobody asked me questions related to my previous projects.
    Additional One interview was in Hyderabad. It was taken by the director of our division. he asked one simple technical question and then explained me about he roles and responsibilities.

Interview Questions

• One or two design questions.
      Remaining all were on DS and algo e.g. BST, linked lists, practical implementation of these concepts.
      Some were on the OS basics.

Answer Question

Negotiation

Did not negotiate as they were offering much higher than my expecation.

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview

Application

interviewed at Microsoft in August 2014.

Interview

Process was at collage or university. (aug 2014)
    1st round had 15 technical questions (output once mostly)
    2nd round 2 codes 65 min