Microsoft

Interview Question – Estimate the market size for ms word   Answer Question

Summer Intern Interview

Summer Intern
New Delhi (India)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at Microsoft in November 2013.

Interview Details – First aptitude round on university level, then two or three interview rounds inclusive of HR rounds.

Interview Question – Overlays in Operating System   View Answer

Software Development Engineer In DEV (SDE) II Interview

Software Development Engineer In DEV (SDE) II

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details – Scenario based questions.
Technically good
Long waiting for communication

Interview Question – The question on SDLC process was tough to convince as there was major gap how IT in MS operates and outside market .   Answer Question

Bangalore (India)

I applied through college or university and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in June 2009.

Interview Details – In total 6 rounds of interview for a college hire (like me). Questions were on latest market trends, your projects, basics of networking.

Interview Question – technical questions   Answer Question

New Delhi (India)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in November 2009.

Interview Details – Telephonic rounds followed by personal round and hands on tests

Interview Question – Was not a surprise for me.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate looking at brand

Partner Technical Consultant Interview

Partner Technical Consultant
Calcutta (India)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 7 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in May 2011.

Interview Details – Usually comprises of 5-8 rounds of interview which has initial 3-4 technical rounds (for technical roles). Since my role was for technical consultant for Microsoft development platforms, questions were specific to the same. It was around July 2005.
I was asked in depth on .NET in particular, OOP concepts, framework basics, coding practices. I was also asked on SQL Server.
I was again did an internal transfer from one group to another within Microsoft in 2011. Then I had 2 technical and 1 combined manager and director round

Interview Question – There were few difficult questions, but more than a correct answer, we look for the approach the candidate is following. How logical/analytical is that. For example I remember a SQL query to find 5th highest number. With SQL Server, it was pretty much simple, using TOP on ordered data.
However the managerial round interviews is Microsoft is what stands out in my opinion. These rounds actually tests the personality of the candidate, based on scenario questions. Again there is no right/wrong answer for such personality questions.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was not much of negotiation for me, as I joined in early stage of my career with low salary. So, what I got was much higher than what I was getting.

Enterprise Technology Strategist Interview

Enterprise Technology Strategist

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details – i had 13 rounds and with long process for each round.
no-nonsense questions

Interview Question – they seem to expect that laterals be aware of the trends that microsoft is conversant with...   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Excellent. I got nearly what i dreamt of

Software Development Engineer In Test Interview

Software Development Engineer In Test
Bangalore (India)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Microsoft in March 2012.

Interview Details – The interview process is moderately tough. The interview is completely oriented towards problem solving questions only, no technology related questions and they expect you to write the code for the problem with all the kind of testing angles keeping it in mind, in short the code should be runnable and productizable as it is. The interview mail tells clearly what they are looking in a candidate I followed their instruction very religiously and I felt it helped me a lot to get offer. For example they say "Don't assume things, ask questions when not clear", it happened to me during the interview, initially they will ask questions with less clarity, so here you need to bring out all the assumptions you are doing etc, you can even ask hints also if required they will help you. Basically their goal is to understand is this guy thinking in right direction and with little help is he able to solve problems ????

Interview Question – How do you test a telephone   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations, they offered if it ok accept it, otherwise they say this is final then it is you call to accept or not.

Vellore (India)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2012.

Interview Details – It was a campus recruitment for intern position. First round was online round consisting of aptitude questions, software engineering and c output questions. Then shortlisted candidates were interviewed (tech + HR). Then final result was declared.

Interview Question – Just data structures questions were asked and only approach to the question was asked.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Software Development Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in December 2012.

Interview Details – 3 technical interviews and one final manager interview - data structures and algos were asked

Interview Question – dynamic programming questions are often asked   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Microsoft