Microsoft Intern Interview Questions

Updated Jul 18, 2015

3.1

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft in December 2012.

Interview

First round on campus. Second round in Redmond.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in February 2015.

Interview

I applied for a Finance Rotational internship with Microsoft through my University. I was contacted and scheduled an interview through Microsoft's own signup software. The woman who interviewed me was pretty withdrawn/unwelcoming. All she did was ask me questions and write down my answers; she seemed almost unfriendly or uninterested. None of my questions were typical behavioral questions either, even though that was what I was expecting (for example, I never got a "name a time when..."); all of the questions I was asked were very specific to certain experiences I had on my resume or unrelated and technical questions. I was also asked basic accounting questions, questions about Microsoft's own products and specific questions about my experiences. This was my first interview so I'm sure I could have prepared more beforehand but based on what I read online and what I was told from Microsoft's recruiter I was unprepared for what I would be asked. Overall, it was a good learning experience! It definitely prepared me for other interviews I've had recently.

Interview Questions

• Based on the current US markets, what are your predictions for the future economy?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft (Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in February 2014.

Interview

I have applied online. They contacted me after two weeks and told me they will contact me for interview. After around 2 months they contacted me and asked to attend in campus interview. The first round was held in my university. The interviewer was an engineer came from Seattle. It took 30 minutes. He asked me some typical programming questions and asked me to explain my resume. After around 5 days I got an acceptance email. They asked me to travel to Redmond for the final round interview. Due to delay in my Visa I went to Vancouver office for the interview. It were 4 rounds interviews. They were purely technical. They asked lots of questions in details. You need to write the program on the white board. They payed all expenses such as flight and accommodation. After several days the recruiter contacted me and gave me the offer.

Interview Questions

• The questions were so difficult and they asked in details. So you need to be well prepared.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is no negotiation.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Contacted by a recruiter for a 25-minutes phone interview. He asked questions about my projects and what had been my contribution. He also asked algorithmic theoretical questions. The recruiter was very cold and the questions were quite different from what I expected. Example: who is the best coder you know and why?

Interview Questions

• You have 3 water containers. One full of 8 liters and two of 5 and 3 that are empty. What do you do to have exactly 4 liters in the 8 and 4 liters in the 5?   2 Answers

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Copenhagen (Denmark)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft (Copenhagen (Denmark)).

Interview

On-campus interview followed up by an on-site interview. The on-campus was ok. I was asked some questions about linked-list and some algorithms to manipulate them. The on-site interview had been ok until one guy asked my hard-core questions about C/C++ (the malloc function). I guessed that was the reason that I did not pass. The next guy asked me to design the battleship game and he obviously seemed to be in a hurry so that I knew that I wouldn't get to no where at that moment.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Got selected for an interview with Microsoft through a career fair in college. The interview was held in my college's campus and it lasted for 30 mins. It was A technical round. No behavioral questions asked. I was asked about my previous job experience only. No other behavioral questions asked. The interviewer was pretty cool and was helpful. While solving the problem, when I was stuck, the interviewer gave me certain hints and clues to get to the solution. It was more like a discussion.

Interview Questions

• For a given anagram find the longest palindrome in it.   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Microsoft in September 2013.

Interview

On campus interview. Met at a career fair and interviewed the next day. Having no programming experience, I was interviewing for their Project management internship. They started off with easy questions then asked what my favorite piece of technology was. We then spent the remainder of the 40 minute interview dissecting and trying to improve that piece of technology. Be sure to know which kinds of questions to ask them during this time!

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in September 2014.

Interview

The recruiting process was simple. I've done this twice in consecutive years. Microsoft sent some engineers to my college to find job and internship applicants in September 2013 and again this September. In September 2013 they had a "mini-interview" round on campus. As I handed in my resume I was asked questions about my experience and interests. A few days later I got an e-mail invitation from a Microsoft HR contractor to do a sit-down interview. The interview happened a couple of weeks later, also on campus, with a Microsoft engineer. The interviewer was cordial but curt because interviews were 30 minutes and stacked back-to-back all day, with no time cushion between. The interviewers were mostly casually dressed as were the applicants. My interviewer asked me about my background and experience, then gave me a coding question. All other applicants I talked to were also given a coding problem, not one of those mythical non-tech brain teasers I have read about companies such as Google giving. I was applying for their no-experience-needed "explorers" internship. I told the interviewer I just started learning about arrays, so he asked me to code an array sorting function. He seemed surprised it was over my head, in spite of it being my first month in intro to C, which Microsoft knew in advance. I wasn't able to completely code the answer, but the interviewer was helpful, offering general advice on how to complete it. I got a generic rejection e-mail about three weeks later from a do-not-reply address, saying my resume would be kept on file for a year. This year I got an e-mail from Microsoft again, saying an engineer had reviewed my resume on file from last year and wanted us to do a sit-down interview. It was about the same as last year, though Microsoft was not offering the "explorer" internship anymore, just the need-experience one. My interviewer again was cordial, even friendly, and asked me similar questions to last year, followed by a new coding question that I was given a Surface tablet with an IDE (no compiler) to code with. I handled it better this year, but I couldn’t finish the code so I talked it out. He asked how to code a translator from a base-10 number system to another system. I had about 15 minutes to code it, with the interviewer at times looking at my screen and notes, and asking questions. He was being helpful but it was too much pressure for me. The interview ended with some advice on how to handle the problem and well-wishes. I got basically the same rejection e-mail from them as I did last year. Microsoft has an efficiently structured system for recruiting applicants, processing applications (through web and e-mail) and coordinating interviews. They even use an automated system to remind you of your interview after you select it through a web system. The only weakness is a mismatch between the stated job requirements and what the interviewers expect you to know. In the case of last year's interview, for example, I had to explain what the explorer internship I was applying for was because the interviewer had never heard of it, and seemingly was not prepared to ask questions on that level.

Interview Questions

• Surprisingly the interviewer this year asked me about my previous interview last year. He said he had on his computer not only the coding question I was asked before, but what my response to it was. He asked what I had learned from it. I told him that I didn't even remember the question, it had been so long. I'm sure it would have been better if I mentioned having worked on it after I went home. I was impressed that he and Microsoft by proxy seemed genuinely interested in my development.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Iowa City, IA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft (Iowa City, IA) in September 2013.

Interview

Emailed by a recruiter to set up a phone screen. Had the phone screen after two weeks, it was about 30 minutes where the interview asked a series of behavioral questions, the call ended with the interview asking if I had any questions.

Interview Questions

• Think of somebody, a friend, mentor, or professor that you regard as a good coder and why. Now, rank yourself in comparison to them if they are a 10. How would to get yourself to a 9?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Phone Interview and On site interview. Initially an aptitude test online, then the phone which moved to an onsite interview. The asked the general data structures and oop questions. They threw some curveballs as well. My mistakes came down to not asking questions about their problem. ASK QUESTIONS! They will reveal more that way, it will transform problems.

Interview Questions

• Design of an online banking application (expected to troubleshoot possible problems)   Answer Question