Microsoft Intern Interview Questions

Updated Jun 20, 2015

3.1

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Coimbatore (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Microsoft (Coimbatore (India)) in August 2014.

Interview

There was a coding test, followed by a technical interview. The coding test consisted of some aptitude-style questions and a couple of programming problems. Those who performed well in the coding test were allowed to sit for the technical interview. To me, it seemed as though the process was good overall, but I had the bad luck to sit with a poor interviewer. He seemed to expect only a particular answer and rejected other answers.

Interview Questions

• I want to send a message to my friend in another country. I can only write it on a piece of paper and send it to my friend via a messenger. No other channel of communication is possible. I can only send one message. How do I prevent the messenger from reading the message?   Answer Question
  • My website is unable to bear increasing loads. I have optimized it as much as I can. I don't have any money. How can I handle this situation?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Amsterdam (Netherlands)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft (Amsterdam (Netherlands)) in May 2015.

Interview

The procedure was very long and is still ongoing. First, I applied on Microsoft's website for internships in the Netherlands. Directly after I had to take a test, which I passed and the confirmation of that was sent to my email. After the test, there was a video interview, which was a very strange experience, since you are basically talking to the computer and there is noone at the other end.

After the video interview, there was the Skype interview, in which a very nice HR person located in the UK asked me some questions. A day or so after I received an email I passed this stage as well. I am still waiting for an invitation to come for the last part of the application procedure, so for the actual interview.

Interview Questions

• Was there ever a moment that you disagreed with somebody more experienced than you? If yes, what was the result of that?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bangalore (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft (Bangalore (India)) in September 2014.

Interview

Microsoft IDC came to my college to hire Summer Interns 2015
    There were many rounds such as :
    1st Round - Online 30 min/30 ques
    Mostly C/C++/OS etc were asked. the questions were of average difficulty.

2nd Round - Online Coding 1hour/2 ques
    In this round, 2 questions were given to be solved on an online compiler and submitted.
    Both from data structures.

3rd Round - Telephonic
    Behavioral questions + Test-cases + Technical

4th Round - Face to Face
    Data Structures + Algorithms (2 questions)

Interview Questions

• A singly linked list : 1->3->0->5->4->0->9->10->NULL
      Output Should be : 4->9->19->NULL
      i.e, remove all zeros and sum between each zeros

1 Answer
    • Given a tree and a key, delete every node whose value is the same as that of the key.The key will be in the leaf only or if not a leaf then both the left and right sub-tree have all the same value.   1 Answer
    • Given a tree and a value. Check if two have exist such that their sum is equal to the given value.   1 Answer
    • Use a data structure and store numbers in sorted order. Complexity should be log n (wanted to see the approach)   1 Answer
    • Remove duplicates from a string but don't change the order.   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Auckland (New Zealand)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft (Auckland (New Zealand)) in April 2015.

Interview

I was asked a couple of behavioural questions, followed by a technical question. The interviewer was quiet for most of the interview while I wrote code on paper. I did not get any reply after the interview.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in October 2014.

Interview

I was contacted for an on-campus interview by email. It was my first technical interview, so I was not as well prepared as I could have been, but frankly I expected more out of the interviewer. The interviewer was late for the scheduled slot and made me reschedule to a slot later in the day. At the end of the interview, the interviewer bluntly let me know that I was ill-prepared for the interview and lacking in technical knowledge, which I slightly disagree with considering I'm currently employed and have gotten many interviews since the first.

Interview Questions

• I don't remember the exact question but it was something about linked lists that is similar to such problems in Cracking the Coding Interview   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Belgrade (Serbia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft (Belgrade (Serbia)) in May 2015.

Interview

Process took over two months. After submitting CV and cover letter, I was invited to do paper test. There were 5 programming (binary search, trees, matrices, etc.) and 2 math questions (probability and calculus). Among more than 100 students, 10 were selected to do face to face interview.

Interview Questions

• Given a binary tree. Print the greatest element for each path from root to leaves.   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Microsoft (Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)) in May 2014.

Interview

i applied online as part of seeking for placement for university, was then invited to complete an online assessment which were questions that i assume determined personality traits etc, then completed an automated video interview with general questions about microsoft, teamwork etc

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Delhi (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Microsoft (New Delhi (India)) in September 2014.

Interview

It was fun yet nerve-wracking. The interviewers were nice and communicative. I strongly recommend asking the interviewer a couple of questions to show your interest and enthusiasm. Also stay cool and above all, don't lie. If you don't know the answer don't beat around the bush, try to logically find it but don't blabber.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Microsoft in May 2015.

Interview

Microsoft held an programming competition on my university, and later asked the competitors to send their resumès. Two or three weeks later I received an email to a website in order to schedule an interview on skype. The first part of the interview was purely behavioral, and the rest some design questions.

Interview Questions

• How would you count the number of occurrences of a word in a large amount of text files?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

It was just a screening phone interview. All questions were non-technical. They mainly wanted to know about my experiences and projects. The interviewer was very nice and just wanted to have a casual chat to see if I'm a good candidate for the technical interview.

Interview Questions

• Describe the biggest technical problem you faced in any of your projects and how did you solve it?   Answer Question