Microsoft

Updated Feb 24, 2015
Updated Feb 24, 2015

3.1

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in November 2014.

Went to my university's career fair and handed them my resume. They then proceeded to contact me for an onsite at my school. Super efficient and fast response. In retrospect, the interview was not difficult -- I was just poorly prepared.

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft in February 2015.

First I was asked about my past projects and the associated experiences. They specifically wanted to know how I overcame a situation in which I got behind on my project. They also asked about what I would have done differently had I known what I know now. Then they asked a simple programming question.

Interview Questions
    • Given an array of n consecutive numbers from m, not necessarily in order, there is one number that is omitted. Write the code that would return that missing number.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Microsoft.

Did not make it to the actual on-site interview. But I had an interview on campus where they asked situation questions such as like "when was a time..." Then usually technical questions following. Interview takes about 30 minutes.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft in January 2015.

A very warm and welcoming experience. I was called for on site at the head office in Seattle. nitially had a on campus interview at my university. It was short 30 minute interview where they went over my resume and had a quick technical question.
    I heard back around 3 weeks later, mainly b/c I had a offer that was on the verge of expiring. They flew me out to the Redmond campus that same week.
    The day of the interview, I arrived on site around 8am and had a quick chat with HR. They told me which team I was interviewing for and sent me to the building for the interviews. I had 5 interviews and 1 lunch interview. This lasted until around 3PM.

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft in January 2015.

Applied for a Game Programming Internship through my university at a career fair. The interview was a 30 minute on-campus interview. Was first asked questions related to my resume. Then he asked me to merge two sorted linked lists. The interviewer was really nice and there was no rush throughout the interview process.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft in November 2014.

Gave my CV during career fair. Was called for an on campus interview. 45 mins long. The procedure took too long. started with basic hr questions followed be technical and design questions. Would suggest to prepare on complexities, hashmaps, linkedlist, ternary tree.

Interview Questions
    • How would you design google search engine. Questions to do with ternary tree.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in January 2015.

I submitted my resume with a recruiter at an on-campus hiring event and was contacted with an invitation to on-campus interviews about a month and a half later. The on campus interview was fairly tough and very technical with a very intimidating guy who didn't seem very interested in the work I had done, but turned out to be very pleasant to interview with.

Didn't hear back for another month until I was contacted with details for a final round interview in Vancouver in January. This was probably the toughest interview I've experienced so far, I was asked questions about data structures and algorithms individually by 3 different engineers for 45 minutes each. The questions were tough and I had a difficult time reading my interviewers, but overall it was definitely a very rewarding experience.

Interview Questions
    • Print out the values of a balanced binary tree starting from the lower right and moving horizontally then upwards.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in November 2014.

Interview process consisted of one on-campus interview, which was primarily behavioral and an onsite interview in Redmund. The onsite interview was very challenging and technical given my experience, so I did not do well. Advice to future candidates: PREPARE!!. 4 interviews total, each lasting 1 hour and topics ranged from statistics to electrical engineering.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft in December 2014.

Talked through the phone, asked behavioral questions and one technical question. Interviewer was a developer himself so the conversation went smooth. We talked about my programming languages preferences, and he decided to go in depth with C.

He asked me trivial questions about memory management and garbage collection, explain a computational concept to a youngling, and then we talked a lot about their work environment. The interview was very positive and relaxed overall.

Interview Questions
    • Given 9 marbles that look the same but one weights slightly more, and a scale you can only use twice, how can you find out which marble is the heavier one?   View Answer

Intern Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Microsoft.

I have applied in November. The first round interview is in February, I have received email one week before the interview. It is a group interview and all are university students.