Microsoft

Updated Dec 21, 2014

3.1

195 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Intern Interview

Met with a recruiter during an on campus career day and dropped off my resume. Got contacted about a week later for an on-campus interview. The interview was a short, about ~45 minutes with the first 20 minutes going over my resume, experiences, and other behavioral questions. The last part was a single technical question and going over my solution. The question will be very very easy if you know your stuff or just read CTCI. After that interview I got flown out to Seattle and interviewed at the Bellevue Bing Office. It was a entire day of interviews, I had 4 including a lunch interview. Two interviews were very similar to the first, but with harder technical questions. Two interviews were purely behavioral. Heard back about a week and a half later (mine was quicker than what others may have experienced since I had other offers on the table already).

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Intern Interview

Contacted after I sent in a resume. Process was very quick (just couple days). Interview occurred about a week after initial email to set up the interview. At conclusion of our interview, they said a more technical interview should follow.

Interview Questions
    • Largest project I've worked on, designing tech for children, and my process to solve a problem   View Answer

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

Got selected for an interview with Microsoft through a career fair in college. The interview was held in my college's campus and it lasted for 30 mins. It was A technical round. No behavioral questions asked. I was asked about my previous job experience only. No other behavioral questions asked. The interviewer was pretty cool and was helpful. While solving the problem, when I was stuck, the interviewer gave me certain hints and clues to get to the solution. It was more like a discussion.

Interview Questions
    • For a given anagram find the longest palindrome in it.   View Answer

Intern Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in November 2014.

I was contacted by a recruiter over the summer and I gave them my resume. Didn't hear back until around Novemberish where I was told I would be interviewing for a Software Developer job.

Had my phone interview the following week, nothing crazy, no technical questions. Just a resume review and a few behavioral questions relating to both how I handle team situations as well as my thought process when coding. Was contacted a week after saying they would like to fly me in for an onsite interview.

The trip was great. Everything was paid for including hotel, food, transportation. I didn't spend a dime in my time at Redmond.

The interview process was stressful but not ridiculous. The recruiters did their best to ease our stress and make us enjoy our time at Microsoft. I had four interviews with 15 minute breaks in between. The interviewers were nice and seemed like they really were invested in us. The technical questions were fairly challenging but not so crazy that I wasn't able to come up with a solution in a reasonable amount of time.

Interview Questions
    • Given a sorted array, write a function that will create a binary search tree from the array.   View Answer

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

I applied though the campus recruiter and did the interview. The interview was cut about 15 minutes because he was running late. Never heard back from him. In the beginning he asked me about my projects from my resume and why I did what I did for like 5 minutes then he cut me short to do a tech question.

Interview Questions
    • Please implement an inquery and and outquery using an array using fifo.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in October 2014.

I was contacted via email and invited to an on-campus interview that lasted 30 minutes long. I was given two programming questions, one related to graphs and the other related to a subarray sum problem. After a few days, I was contacted for second round interviews in Boston, all expenses paid, to be interviewed at the Microsoft Research Building. I had 4 45 minute interviews in the morning, and received an internship offer within a week.

Interview Questions
    • Given a hashmap of abbreviations to a list of what the abbreviations stand for, write a program to guess new abbreviations' expanded forms (even though each letter could stand for many things) based on the mutual probabilities of the words being together in the existing abbreviation database.   View Answer

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

Applied online and was contacted by email to schedule a phone interview for an SDE internship. The process of getting contacted to schedule the interview to actually having the phone interview took about three weeks.

The interview was approximately 30 minutes and I was asked a variety of questions such as "What is your favorite Microsoft product and what is one thing you would do to improve it?" and "What is the difference between a thread and a process?"

I have to admit that I was caught off guard by a what was essentially a "Knights and Knaves" like question. If you're unfamiliar with those types of problems, I would recommend that you look over them briefly before an interview with them.

Other than that, the interview seemed very standard with the typical questions about my resume.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in October 2014.

I had one phone screening interview that of 90 minutes length.

After the interview, the recruiter and scheduler contacted me to schedule the onsite interview.

Microsoft took care everything about hotel reservations, ticketing airplanes, airport pickup taxi and etc.

There were three technical interviews and one interview with hiring manager.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly string manipulation and array related questions. I got one tree related question that needed to be used with DFS traversals.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in October 2014.

Submitted resume at college career fair. I received an email requesting an on campus interview and signed up for a slot. The interview was routine with a technical question. He asked a lot of questions about my resume. He had me describe a project I had done in detail. Onsite was 4 hour-long interviews. Technical, behavioral, resume. Fun and positive vibe.

Interview Questions
    • Details of implementations of past projects.
      Reverse the words in a sentence: "This is a sentence." becomes "sentence. a is This"

Answer Question
    None

Intern Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in October 2014.

Went straight through to the final round interview. All of the candidates met in the lobby of the recruiting building and were briefed about the process. The day consisted of three 45 minute technical interviews and lunch with a member of the team I was interviewing for. All of the interviewers went right into the technical questions without asking anything about my resume. Everyone was nice and helpful, and provided useful tips for what I could do better during my next interview. I received an email from the Microsoft recruiter on the plane home saying that the team chose to pursue other candidates.

Interview Questions
    • All of the questions were standard CS problems, but each had a twist so that memorizing the solution from online or "Cracking the Coding Interview" wouldn't get you too far. Review sorting, recursive algorithms, dynamic programming, and basic string functions.   Answer Question