Microsoft Intern Interview Questions

Updated Jul 18, 2015

3.1

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

I applied though the campus recruiter and did the interview. The interview was cut about 15 minutes because he was running late. Never heard back from him. In the beginning he asked me about my projects from my resume and why I did what I did for like 5 minutes then he cut me short to do a tech question.

Interview Questions

• Please implement an inquery and and outquery using an array using fifo.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft (Boston, MA) in October 2014.

Interview

I was contacted via email and invited to an on-campus interview that lasted 30 minutes long. I was given two programming questions, one related to graphs and the other related to a subarray sum problem. After a few days, I was contacted for second round interviews in Boston, all expenses paid, to be interviewed at the Microsoft Research Building. I had 4 45 minute interviews in the morning, and received an internship offer within a week.

Interview Questions

• Given a hashmap of abbreviations to a list of what the abbreviations stand for, write a program to guess new abbreviations' expanded forms (even though each letter could stand for many things) based on the mutual probabilities of the words being together in the existing abbreviation database.   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Applied online and was contacted by email to schedule a phone interview for an SDE internship. The process of getting contacted to schedule the interview to actually having the phone interview took about three weeks. The interview was approximately 30 minutes and I was asked a variety of questions such as "What is your favorite Microsoft product and what is one thing you would do to improve it?" and "What is the difference between a thread and a process?" I have to admit that I was caught off guard by a what was essentially a "Knights and Knaves" like question. If you're unfamiliar with those types of problems, I would recommend that you look over them briefly before an interview with them. Other than that, the interview seemed very standard with the typical questions about my resume.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between a thread and a process?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in October 2014.

Interview

I had one phone screening interview that of 90 minutes length. After the interview, the recruiter and scheduler contacted me to schedule the onsite interview. Microsoft took care everything about hotel reservations, ticketing airplanes, airport pickup taxi and etc. There were three technical interviews and one interview with hiring manager.

Interview Questions

• Mostly string manipulation and array related questions. I got one tree related question that needed to be used with DFS traversals.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft (Boston, MA) in October 2014.

Interview

Submitted resume at college career fair. I received an email requesting an on campus interview and signed up for a slot. The interview was routine with a technical question. He asked a lot of questions about my resume. He had me describe a project I had done in detail. Onsite was 4 hour-long interviews. Technical, behavioral, resume. Fun and positive vibe.

Interview Questions

• Details of implementations of past projects. Reverse the words in a sentence: "This is a sentence." becomes "sentence. a is This"   Answer Question

Negotiation

None

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in October 2014.

Interview

I went to all the events that Microsoft put on at my school, talking to the recruiter multiple times, and then got an interview. It was scheduled to be 30 minutes, but my interviewer said if I had time he'd prefer to do an hour so we did. He asked me two coding questions first, one being to find if there were duplicates in an array, and another to find a 2x2 square of 1's, in a 1 million x 1 million 2d array of the rest of the numbers being 0. Then he asked me a more conceptual question, that I didn't fully understand.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in October 2014.

Interview

Went straight through to the final round interview. All of the candidates met in the lobby of the recruiting building and were briefed about the process. The day consisted of three 45 minute technical interviews and lunch with a member of the team I was interviewing for. All of the interviewers went right into the technical questions without asking anything about my resume. Everyone was nice and helpful, and provided useful tips for what I could do better during my next interview. I received an email from the Microsoft recruiter on the plane home saying that the team chose to pursue other candidates.

Interview Questions

• All of the questions were standard CS problems, but each had a twist so that memorizing the solution from online or "Cracking the Coding Interview" wouldn't get you too far. Review sorting, recursive algorithms, dynamic programming, and basic string functions.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Microsoft in October 2014.

Interview

There was an on-campus interview with a technical aspect and also a behavioral aspect. The technical aspect included a couple whiteboard questions and one on how I would improve an app on my phone. The behavioral aspect included the usual questions about me but also had a question on how I would resolve workplace disputes with colleagues.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft in October 2014.

Interview

The interview process consisted of two parts. The first was a very technical interview at the school you would attend. They ask you a problem or two and see how to you work to solve it. If they like the way you think, you go to the second interview based in Washington. This interview is more behavioral so they can see where you would fit best in the company

Interview Questions

• You are given a linked list. They asked you to find a way to see if you have been over a certain node of the linked list.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in October 2014.

Interview

Went through a phone interview, and was then flown out to Redmond to interview. Campus was beautiful and so was the hotel they paid for me. Everything except the interviews themselves were amazing really, but once actually getting to an interview it was extremely difficult to understand what my interviewers wanted me to do as well as to physically understand their thick accents. Technically the questions were a split between standard algorithms questions, and more difficult algorithms questions. There were a few non technical questions, which I didn't understand (something about twitter and sentiment analysis but what the interview actually wanted for a solution was difficult to understand)