Microsoft Interview Questions

Updated Sep 28, 2014
3,487 Interview Reviews

3.3

Software Development Engineer Interview

I had a campus interview first, which give a coding problem. I past this one. Then I got an onsite interview at Fargo. Four/Five round interviews. Every round I should do one or two coding questions, and talk about my projects, my working experiences, and so on.

Interview Questions
    • I failed one logic test problem at the first round, but did well in the rest round. I spend too much time on practicing coding problems. I didn't expect the coding problems are so easy. But I didn't do very well on talking about my working experiences.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Microsoft.

Initial application and interview through campus recruiting. They do several rounds of recruiting, so be patient, they might not call you up for an interview right away. Onsite interview afterwards which consists of several interviews with different people, and potential teammates and team leads.

Interview Questions
    • Everything was pretty standard for a PM position. Started off with behavioral questions. Mostly asked for implementations of a specific system. They are looking for creative and detailed-oriented people.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview

My recruiter called me at the expected time and gave me 4 questions:
    1. What was your most difficult technical problem and how did you handle it?
    2. How would you design a kitchen timer?
    3. Simple for-loop coding question.
    4. What does good design mean to you?

Technical Account Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Microsoft.

Applied a couple of months and totally forgot I even applied. June 2014. Got an email mid August scheduling initial phone interview. No updates for a couple of weeks then an email for phone interview (30 - 45 minutes). Had the interview and thought it went well. Waited over a month no follow up. Sent follow up / Thank you email right after interview and not even a word. The phone interview itself showed I knew more in my 13 years than the TAM I interviewed with who only had about 3 yrs experience....it was a good knowledge exchange.

I do have to say I observed some arrogance on the part of the interviewer (after-all they're Microsoft). It may be a great company but honestly I'm not impressed.

Whole process took about 3 months. Thankfully they were just one of many options I had on the table. Had to pass on the opportunity.

Interview Questions
    • All the questions were straight forward. Just one about a system platform that I felt was interesting.   Answer Question

They came across as being arrogant and childish over the fact that they're "Microsoft".

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Athens, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Athens, GA

I applied via the Microsoft College recruiting website and also attended a information session which was held at my University. The first stage of the interview process was a basic on campus interview which lasted for about 30-35 minutes and consisted of mainly behavioral questions. Currently, I'm waiting to hear back for the second round.

Marketing Interview

Was recruited by my school. There were on campus interviews for the position which I applied through our career website. I also had an internal referral from someone I know who works there. The first round was on campus and it wasn't bad at all. Make sure you know what marketing generally is and how to use segmenting, targeting and position to sell a product. Make sure you think about what products are marketed well too and know generally about MSFT products.

Final round I was flown out to Seattle. It was 6 back to back interviews with different divisions of MSFT marketing. Thought I did well, there was one guy who really grilled on some technicalities. Other than that, it was a laid back process and the people were really nice. Didn't end up getting but enjoyed my experience!

Interview Questions
    • If you had to pick a MSFT product and expand it to another market, how would and where would you do it?

The guy who grilled interviewees really hard also asked how do you design a piano for blind people? Thrown off by that one.
        Answer Question

Account Technology Strategist Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft.

Microsoft is not an easy place to get into. The process is best if you have a contact inside of Microsoft that can be your advocate to get into the interview loop. Once that happened I was then contacted to be part of what is called 'finals day' which is basically a series of interviews that can last 1-2 hours long and usually entails 3-5 interview sessions. They are a mix of basic behavior questions as well as some deep technology questions to show you know the field / you know the tech and can think broad and big. Culture at Microsoft is pretty awesome - the ability to learn is endless it seems. 1 / year training in redmond at 'techready' is awesome and overwhelming at the same time.

Interview Questions
    • No real unexpected questions from an interview perspective   Answer Question
    For me I was told vacation is not negotiable, and sign on bonuses really don't exist. I negotiated salary pretty well and was satisfied with the result. I would ask about the pay mix (base and variable percentage mix as I saw some differences among some) so this may be an area to negotiate as well.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Microsoft.

Sent in resume during career fair. Soon got a email to set up on campus interview within a few days. Asked a few questions about previous projects and a few technical questions.

Marketing Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Microsoft.

I had a total of 5 interviews across 2 interview rounds. The first round was on the phone and included hypothetical case questions that asked what strategies would help for some situations (ex. taking market share from a leading competitor). The second round was in Redmond, and I had 4 interviews there- mainly behavioral questions were asked.

Interview Questions
    • How would you convince other college students to switch to Windows products?   Answer Question

Hardware Engineer Interview

The process is very simple. By the way, this interview is in school. It should take around 30 minutes, but for me it took only around 20 minutes. It is very straight forward. Three questions are waiting for you. From the point view of today, the questions are quite simple. All about transistors and gates.

Interview Questions

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!