Microsoft Interview Questions

4,121 Interview Reviews

3.3

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

I initially had a on campus interview at my university. It was short 30 minute interview where they went over my resume and had a quick technical question.
    I heard back around 3 weeks later, mainly b/c I had a offer that was on the verge of expiring. They flew me out to the Redmond campus that same week.
    The day of the interview, I arrived on site around 8am and had a quick chat with HR. They told me which team I was interviewing for and sent me to the building for the interviews. I had 5 interviews and 1 lunch interview. This lasted until around 3PM.
    I received a call the next day and was extended an offer.

The technical questions asked:
    On-campus interview:
        remove duplicates from an unsorted array
    On-site interviews:
        implement strtok
        reverse string(ie. hello world => world hello)
        find lca for bst
        find first non repeating character in string
        given a list of characters and the function toLower, implement toUpper
        check for palindrome in string and singly linked list
        check if binary tree is bst

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I did not negotiate, the compensation package was good enough

Senior Technical Evangelist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Initially had interview with a Microsoft Recruiter. Once they determined my qualifications I was then directed to do an interview with another Senior Technical Evangelist. After that, I was required to do 3 more interviews with Management. I received an offer 4 days after this. The entire process took a few weeks.

Interview Questions

• Why do you consider yourself a technical expert on the matter?   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

The overall conversation with Microsoft was quick and smooth. I got an interview after an online test on basic probability and statistics knowledge. Then I was invited to a technical interview with an analyst.

Product Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Interview process was very straightforward. I was referred by an employee and also had to apply online. Shortly after, I was interviewed by two managers back to back outside of the store. They asked few tech questions and mainly focused on how you work as a team member and what sales experience you have. I believe they require a year of sales experience. Be ready to discuss the experiences in your resume and times of conflict you had with team members and how you resolved the issue.

Communications Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

I submitted via the web site. Received a call a month later with recruiter who put forth a hard sell. Literally began talking salary (specific numbers), benefits and perks immediately. I had a call with a hiring manager a week after that and was scheduled for a Loop Interview on campus a month later.

My loop interview itself went really smoothly. I felt very comfortable primarily because I had prepped so hard the weeks leading up to it. So nothing unexpected there.

I got a call with a verbal offer the very next day. Only it wasn't for the job I'd interviewed for and the compensation package was significantly less than what I'd been quoted over the phone and spent hours discussing in my loop. The recruiter emphasized that they needed an answer sooner rather than later. I pushed back and asked for specifics -- mainly How is this role different day-to-day?

I got two lines back - essentially confirming the responsibilities would be different. No elaboration.

I followed up again and heard nothing.

So I went directly to the hiring manager. Never heard back. But did get an email from the recruiter the next morning withdrawing the offer. Saying they decided to go in a different direction. None of my questions about what I would be doing day-to-day were ever answered.

I am incredibly disappointed in the entire process and after all of that work and hard sell up front.

Beware the bait and switch. Know your worth.

Interview Questions

It was complete bait and switch situation. I interviewed for one job and was offered another with no explanation of the difference in day-to-day between the two.

Software Developer II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in April 2015.

Interview

Phone screen, 1st Interview- Design Questions, 2nd- OOPs, 3rd- Binary Tree and Palindrome, 4th String traversal, 5th (Hiring Manager)-Meeting booking

Interview Questions

• Design elevator, OOPs concepts with an example, Data Structure- Print Binary Tree layers in sequence, Find consecutive occurrence of a character in a string, Design calendar booking system to not to allow booking more than 3 overlapping meetings and the lowest possible interval is a milisecond.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Got an email for an on campus interview after career fair. The interview was in 2 parts: programming and design. He was comfortable with C and not too much with Java, the language I was comfortable in. He even asked me to program in notepad since he didnt have a java ide. The question involved pointers and memory management but in java, the JVM handles it for you so I was unable to answer. For the design question I found it hard to understand what he wanted but after asking for clarification it went pretty smooth. In the end, the interviewer was very helpful and understanding.

Interview Questions

Interview

Sent in resume, got a phone call that was very high-level and just asking things like am I allowed to work in US, etc. Then I was sent info to set up a technical lync interview with the project lead. This was enjoyable and fairly relaxed. You type code in whatever language you want. I think they like to see your thought process and they will help you if you talk through it and ask questions.

Interview Questions

• Reverse a linked list. Implement and evaluate expected runtime of bogoSort.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

I applied through college career site and they contacted me through email. I had to fill out an application form they sent me through email, and one question asked me if I was in the process of interviewing another company and the name of the company. However, I didn't give out the name, instead I just vaguely explained what they do.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through your work on portfolio.
      What team are you interested in at Microsoft?
      What type of technology are you interested in?

1 Answer

Director of Strategy & Portfolio Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

Interview was structured , loop (4 people from different perspectives such as people skills, technical skills etc.. and 5th person was interview lead & decision maker). All day interview, overall good experience.

Interview Questions

• What are some investment criteria you've applied in the past?
      How large was your portfolio of investments?
      Did you have a framework for making investment decisions?
      What is the best approach you've used to help leaders align corporate strategies to IT strategies?

Answer Question