Microsoft

3,894 Interview Reviews

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

I initially had a on campus interview at my university. It was short 30 minute interview where they went over my resume and had a quick technical question.
    I heard back around 3 weeks later, mainly b/c I had a offer that was on the verge of expiring. They flew me out to the Redmond campus that same week.
    The day of the interview, I arrived on site around 8am and had a quick chat with HR. They told me which team I was interviewing for and sent me to the building for the interviews. I had 5 interviews and 1 lunch interview. This lasted until around 3PM.
    I received a call the next day and was extended an offer.

The technical questions asked:
    On-campus interview:
        remove duplicates from an unsorted array
    On-site interviews:
        implement strtok
        reverse string(ie. hello world => world hello)
        find lca for bst
        find first non repeating character in string
        given a list of characters and the function toLower, implement toUpper
        check for palindrome in string and singly linked list
        check if binary tree is bst

Interview Questions
    I did not negotiate, the compensation package was good enough

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

I went through the college recruiting process. Microsoft was among the companies that set up stations at our computer science major recruiting fair where I signed up. The first round was on campus: lasted about 40 minutes, and was easy for a computer science major. About a week later, a recruiter emailed me to tell me that I was being invited for on-site interviews in Redmond (Seattle), WA. The recruiters are extremely fast and helpful in communicating; interestingly, Microsoft's recruiting process outdoes other companies (Google, FB etc) completely in efficiency and generosity. You're flown out to Redmond and stay in a really comfy hotel with a generous spending budget.

Now, it's good to know how on-site interviews work: you begin your day early by meeting with your recruiter, who you should befriend since they are "on your side", so to speak, and their input can matter in the decision process. Then, you have consecutive technical interviews lasting about an hour each. You don't have to do perfectly in all of them, but I had a very strong feeling that the first 2 are the most important. The first one is particularly important. If you are doing well, you will get a 4th and sometimes 5th technical interview. If you're lucky, you will afterwards get a final interview with a manager of sometimes, like in my case, a really impressive big boss type person. This big boss can basically hire you on the spot, and its pretty cool that you get to meet someone like this.

Don't forget that for Microsoft, as well as other companies, several things matter for college recruiting; your interviews, first and foremost, but also your coursework, projects, grades, internship experiences, etc. Also, knowing more math than average CS majors helps.

The next day I found out that I was getting an offer, and the next business day after that my recruiter called me with the details over the phone. Microsoft really, really wants smart new grads. The company and culture has REALLY been improving the past few years, and they want smart new grads to keep that up. Offers are actually more generous than at other competing companies.

In my case, you might really like the people you meet or have a personal connection with the big boss type person at the end, in which case your offer could potentially be for the team you actually interviewed with. In this case, you have a choice whether you want to be with that team or go back in the general "hired" pool which is distributed into teams at some later point.

Interview Questions
    • Thing of a simple O(n^3) algorithm for finding the longest palindrome in a string. Now a O(n^2) one. Now a O(n log n) one.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

Referred by a friend. Then received an phone interview invitation from an engineer. The interview was fine. Coding problems like two-sum, possible paths from top-left corner to bottom-right corner, etc. Some basic machine learning questions.

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

Talked and submit the resume in campus recruit event, got interview invitation after few days.
    one on one on campus interview, ask about few questions of C# and one code problem, didn't answer well, got decline after the interview.

Interview Questions
    • 1. What's the difference between IEnumerable and IList.
      2. Interpret a string with different brackets and numbers and valid the string.

Answer Question

Retail Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Microsoft.

The start of this interview began with a phone interview after completing the application. The next step would be the group panel interview which consisted of about two hours, afterword one of the panel interviewers will follow-up for a personal one on one interview. The entire process was great, the phone segment was a little long with some of the same questions be structured differently so take note of this. I didn't nail the interview but I have applied again for more positions within the company as my interest is still very high within this field.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was; which secondary company would you'd work for.   Answer Question

Hardware Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

On campus recruiting event for hardware engineer at Microsoft.

Got an email from the HR regarding the on-campus interview and signed up for a 30 minutes time slot.
    Interview was mostly on the resume, past experience, project experience, intern experience with a focus on the technical side. Fairly simple and easy.

Interview Questions
    • What was the most technical job you have worked on?   View Answer

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview

Campus interview at my university. 30 mins interview which asked my resume and some technical questions. Asked me link list question which is easy, and reverse string, check string palindrome .

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft.

First interview on campus. Very easy nothing hard just questions about your resume. Second interview they flew me up to Texas and had an interview at their office. 4 interviews, was there 12 to 6. They like to ask a lot of situational questions and put you in a spot where you can't think quick enough to see how you would handle the pressure.

Interview Questions
    • They asked to prepare a 20 min presentation couple of days before the interview.   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineering Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft.

Applied online through for the position and was contacted by a recruiter about a month later saying that they wanted to do an oncampus first round interview. The interview was with a ME and was mostly technical with a couple questions like "why microsoft" etc.

Heard back later in the week that they wanted to fly me up to Seattle for a final round interview. They flew me out and I had 4 interviews in 4 hours (1 hour each) all morning. All of the interviews were mostly the same (about 30 minutes of technical questions and 30 minutes for personality questions and my own questions about Microsoft). Pretty standard mechanics of materials and thermal design questions

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

Easy interview, contacted by recruiter and set up interview. Interview was relaxed, one on one with a guy. Asked me to write code, asked me about resume. I don't think the first round is supposed to be very hard but I messed up on one of the technical questions.