Microsoft

3,169 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Network Architect Interview

Redmond, WA

I applied through other source and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2013.

Interview Details – They flew me in and put me up in a hotel (not great and not shabby either) and paid for a rental car and reimbursed me for meals etc. -- that was smooth and I appreciate that they have done that before and they did it fairly well compared to other instances. On the day of the interview, I was met by the recruiter, who gave me some background and then sent me with the first of 4 interviewers, all were cordial and gave me their full attention, clearly looking for good technical discussion. I was cut loose after the 4th interview, after lunch, and as I was preparing to get back in the car and drive to the airport, I was called back for another 4 interviews with as many people -- apparently this is par for the course -- the final folks don't waste their time if the first four don't think you are worth it. Makes sense. It was a good, interactive conversation amongst peers and that was better than the stump-the-chump routine some places have.

Interview Question – If you were able to solve any one problem to do with the technical architecture underpinnings of the Internet, which one would you pick and why?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – It was done in email, and consisted of some back and forth about relocation benefits and a small increase in base salary after denying a bigger one (traded for a signing bonus).

Operations Manager Interview

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in April 2010.

Interview Details – Normal for Microsoft, phone screen, hr screen, and a full day of interviews (6) with each taking 1 hour, plus an informal lunch interview. Outcomes are normally decided fairly quickly with it taking up to one week. Often interviews are taking place with other candidates and the group decides on the group of candidates together, HR is on top of things and can generally answer most questions within a few hours,

Interview Question – Some times logic questions are used to try and see how you reason but these are normally not the critical questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Some negotiation possible but not much

Service Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Microsoft in January 2014.

Interview Details – Applied for position back in November. I was notified by email to schedule for a phone interview in January. Phone interview was mostly behavioral. Was notified a little over a month later that I didn't get the position.

Interview Question – Nothing was really difficult. Asked about knowledge of virtualization, networking, and scripting languages.   Answer Question

Systems Engineer Interview

Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Microsoft in March 2014.

Interview Details – Overall, Microsoft has a great recruiting program, with a seemingly big budget. Overall experience was great and very well organized, but recruiter seemed flaky and standoffish. The big disappointment for me was being turned down after being interviewed by a person that doesn't understand what Denial of Service attack is, and what is the difference between Denial of Service and Distributed Denial of Service Attack.

Interview Question – Know your Linked List algorithms.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Microsoft in March 2014.

Interview Details – The interview process was a great experience. My initial interview was an on campus interview where we discussed some of the information on my resume as well as the infamous why Microsoft question. We touched a little on coding, basic algorithm and implementation stuff followed by some design talk which is where I think I did the best. The following day I received an email saying I was scheduled to be flown out to Washington for final round interviews. I was asked to provide several options for interviews. My initial onsite interview was cancelled due to a conflict and had to be rescheduled. Over the next few days I was asked to correspond with Microsoft Staffing to reschedule. My interview was then moved to the following week. Microsoft put me up in a really nice hotel and offered me a stipend for food while I was there. On my interview day I met with a recruiter who gave me an overview of what to expect throughout the day. She then placed me on a shuttle to my first interview. I had a series of 4 interviews the last 2 significantly better than the first 2. After completing all of my interviews I was taking back to where I had began the day where I received a parting gift. A few days later I received the email that I would not be getting the offer. The overall experience was really good though no complaints.

Interview Question – I struggle with a technical question during my first interview that asked something along the lines how would you create and implement database that deals with multiple servers?   Answer Question

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Interviewed at Microsoft

Interview Details – Initial on campus screening. I was given a coding question to solve in a language of my choice (something like break a string into an array of its letters as characters. then I was asked the following question: "if you had to design a tv remote control with only 2 buttons, what would the buttons do?" We spoke about that for 10 minutes or so and then answered my questions about the company and internship program.

Interview Question – if you had to design a tv remote control with only 2 buttons, what would the buttons do?   Answer Question

Marketing Manager MBA Intern Interview

Bellevue, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft in March 2011.

Interview Details – Microsoft came to Wharton campus to do first round interviews. Having also been on the other side of the table, I can tell you this process is pretty random. They do no have a good system for choosing interviewers, so you sometime get completely untrained people. Once, they even sent undergrad hires who'd worked at Microsoft for one year (these are 23 year olds with no prior work experience) to interview MBAs. This system has problems. They try to give interviewers a few questions to ask, but they're extremely high level and there are no suggestions for good or bad answers. Basically, getting through the first round is completely random.

They then flew me out to Bellevue for the second round interview. The interviewers are the hiring managers. They each interview the candidates they were most interested in and then they kind of debate over who get whom. The mentality seems less to be that you need to be hired into Microsoft in general, but more like each individual manager is looking for his/her employee. Your strategy for getting through this round is to find one or two managers to who will want you the most rather than focusing on pleasing everyone. This is not an interview where you need everyone's approval to be hired into a group. Each manager is kind of out for themselves (although they do discuss and you can lose the job if one manager hates you while another manager loved you).

Interview Question – Everything they ask is really straight forward. Name a product that you think is marketed well. Name a product that you think is marketed poorly.   View Answer

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview

Interviewed at Microsoft

Interview Details – online resume submission, telephonic, on-site

Interview Question – Most question were moderate to difficult.   Answer Question

Sales Director Interview

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in May 2013.

Interview Details – Hired on the spot after a long sales interview. campus tour

Interview Question – Why are you interested in this position at this company?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2013.

Interview Details – Was contacted after a career fair. Was asked a basic question on string reversal. Got a reject in 2 weeks with no additional information as to what they didn't like.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Microsoft

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!

Microsoft Videos

Microsoft – Why Work for Us?

What do you want in a job? Do you want more than a paycheck? At Microsoft, you can discover potential you didn’t know you had, push your limits, turn your ideas into reality and make a real impact on the industry and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Microsoft interview questions and advice. All 3,169 interview reviews posted anonymously by Microsoft employees and interview candidates.