Microsoft

3,728 Interview Reviews

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

I initially had a on campus interview at my university. It was short 30 minute interview where they went over my resume and had a quick technical question.
    I heard back around 3 weeks later, mainly b/c I had a offer that was on the verge of expiring. They flew me out to the Redmond campus that same week.
    The day of the interview, I arrived on site around 8am and had a quick chat with HR. They told me which team I was interviewing for and sent me to the building for the interviews. I had 5 interviews and 1 lunch interview. This lasted until around 3PM.
    I received a call the next day and was extended an offer.

The technical questions asked:
    On-campus interview:
        remove duplicates from an unsorted array
    On-site interviews:
        implement strtok
        reverse string(ie. hello world => world hello)
        find lca for bst
        find first non repeating character in string
        given a list of characters and the function toLower, implement toUpper
        check for palindrome in string and singly linked list
        check if binary tree is bst

Interview Questions
    I did not negotiate, the compensation package was good enough

Software Development Engineer Interview

interview process can be found everywhere in the internet. 1 on campus interview, and 4 rounds onsite interview. I've finished all questions perfectly I think. But received the rejection letter two days later. So confuse. I don't like this interview experience. Not because I didn't receive the offer. Because I don't find the way to improve myself. I really want to know where the problem is.

Interview Questions
    • all question are not very difficult, but they are interest   Answer Question

Technical Account Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

I applied to the position online and they requested a phone interview within a month. The interview was pretty straight forward and had no technical questions. It lasted for just half and hour and part of the time was spent talking about the position and the interviewer's experience with Microsoft. That left only about 15 minutes worth of behavioral questions and general running through my resume.

I heard back about 2 weeks after this phone interview and was not invited for an on-site interview.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected. Just basic questions about my resume and some behavioral questions.   Answer Question

TAM Interview

4 one hour interviews. Just wants to see if you are the right fit for the company. One of the presentations was a presentation on any topic you want to present on.

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

Had 5 45 minute interviews back to back with 15 minute breaks in between. The interviewers talk to each other while you are taking a break before the next one comes to get you. Mix of personality/behavioral and "What would you do in this scenario..." questions. Very laid back interviewers dress is casual and you can just act like you're having a normal conversation... while also writing code on a whiteboard.

Interview Questions
    • Question about Data encryption over HTTPS websites and he drilled really deep asking questions like how secret and private keys work, how the secret key is shared, and how encryption of data actually takes place on websites.   View Answer
    not much negotiation as it was for an internship

Explore Microsoft Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

First I went to a Microsoft interest meeting at my college and learned about the program and handed them my resume at the end of the presentation. About a week later they emailed me saying that they would like to interview me over the phone. The phone interview lasted around 30 minutes and it felt more like a friendly conversation than an intimidating interview. The rep asked me questions like "What's your favorite piece of software or hardware and why" "Explain to me how a computer works" "How would you test a water bottle" "How do you stay up to date with new technology" "Tell me about a coding project that you have worked on". After feeling it went well, I received another email about a week later telling me that they would like to fly me out to their main Redmond campus in Seattle, WA. They paid for the flight, a two night stay at the Westin, and for any other expenses like food and taxi travel. When I got there there was a dinner social where you got to meet other candidates and previous explorer interns who now work at Microsoft full time. The next day we were bussed out to the campus and ate lunch in their massive food court and then it was time for the interviews. There are three interviews, one that's more software development oriented, one that's more PM, and one that's more development and testing. The interviews are extremely laid-back. The interviewers are just trying to find out if you are a good fit at Microsoft and you are not competing with the other candidates. If you can just have a conversation with the interviewers, you will be fine. There were three whiteboard coding questions. One was to sort an array of integers. Another was to combine and sort two arrays into a single bigger array. Be sure to have a coding project to talk about, whether it's something you did at a previous internship or a personal coding project. You need to show them that you are extremely interested in technology. I received an email at the end of the same week saying that I got the position. Overall, it was an amazing experience, and even if I didn't get the internship position, I still learned a lot on my short trip to Microsoft.

Interview Questions
    • You have a sorted array A length m and a sorted array B length n. Insert array elements in order into an array C with length m+n.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

I had my first interview on campus. The interviewer was great and friendly, and asked me whether I wanted to interview for software dev or product manager, but when I was unsure he interviewed me for both. I got a return interview and we'll see how that goes, but the on-campus was really manageable.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me to implement a stack and design a clock.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Microsoft.

Met college recruiter at schools job fair. Talk about how I got interested into Computer Science which got me an interview. The recruiter was very nice and actually cared about my story and generally wanted to hear it.

At the interview, I got a lot of help from the interviewer on the questions but I was just too nervous to think straight and was still a beginner at CS. Could have passed the interview if just brushed up on basics.

Interview Questions
    • Two behavioral questions.
      Describe about a recent software application you used and how would you improve it.

If Microsoft got into the soda vending machine business, how would come up with a paradigm shift for it?

Tech question:
      Given an array of customer ids, find out if a costumer called more than once. No data structures, other than arrays.
        Answer Question

Solution Specialist Interview

60 day process. 2 phone screens and 1 face to face. Not much more to add. Did have a lot of follow up emails from manager asking to consider their offer.

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Microsoft.

Didn't get very far. Just finished the first interview. I thought it has gone well, but apparelrntly not. Screener is very time focused, and the whole process is very streamlined. There's no question that they're looking for the best people.

Interview Questions
    • You are given two buckets. One holds 3 gallons and the other holds 5 gallons. Have do you make 4 gallons of water?   Answer Question