Microsoft

3,795 Interview Reviews

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

I initially had a on campus interview at my university. It was short 30 minute interview where they went over my resume and had a quick technical question.
    I heard back around 3 weeks later, mainly b/c I had a offer that was on the verge of expiring. They flew me out to the Redmond campus that same week.
    The day of the interview, I arrived on site around 8am and had a quick chat with HR. They told me which team I was interviewing for and sent me to the building for the interviews. I had 5 interviews and 1 lunch interview. This lasted until around 3PM.
    I received a call the next day and was extended an offer.

The technical questions asked:
    On-campus interview:
        remove duplicates from an unsorted array
    On-site interviews:
        implement strtok
        reverse string(ie. hello world => world hello)
        find lca for bst
        find first non repeating character in string
        given a list of characters and the function toLower, implement toUpper
        check for palindrome in string and singly linked list
        check if binary tree is bst

Interview Questions
    I did not negotiate, the compensation package was good enough

Finance Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft.

I applied to a finance job with Microsoft in Europe. I was very interested the position as it sounded very good, and I have friends working at Microsoft so I know the organization. Two of these friends wrote an internal recommendation for my application, and we spent some time completing Microsoft internal referral forms with why they thought I was suitable for the job and why my experience and background were relevant for the position.

We never received a feedback on what was the status of this candidature, and in one occasion my friend asked, the answer was very ambiguous even though by other sources we had learnt that they were probably looking for someone with more seniority. Two months later I just received a non-reply mail from Microsoft recruiting saying they were not proceeding with my application. I doubt they ever started.

In the last months I have applied to other technology companies (Google, Twitter) through their employee's referral programme and they have taken the time to consider and give feedback to the candidate and to the person doing the referral. From my experience Microsoft don't seem to do so.

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft.

I applied through university career fair in mid-September and got the first-round interview in late-October.

The interviewer asked me two questions. Both of them are not hard and I have seen both of them before. The first one is maximum subset sum and the second one is to write a program to transpose a matrix. I answered them correctly and quickly. The interviewer then asked me if I have seen similar problems before because he thought I answered them "Too quickly and correctly". I didn't want to lie to him so I told the truth that I really saw them before. He said nothing.

A few days later, I received an email saying I performed excellently in the interview but the quota of internship for my university is full. I am not sure if Microsoft is only comforting me or he really thinks highly of me. But the fact is, I was rejected.

Project Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft.

one round of school interview through recruiter, one phone interview general questions about background, one on-site interview: it included back to back interviews, 1-1, with different group members, each one about one hour. they responded in 1 day. very positive experience with challenging questions, even if you do not get the offer.

Interview Questions
    • there are so many challenging questions that you have never heard of. the goal is to check your problem solving skills   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Microsoft.

The process is clearly outlined by them - submit your resume, if the resume gets through you have a short 30 minute interview (mine was on campus), and then if you pass that you go to Seattle and have a full day of interviews there.

Interview Questions
    • Design a popup modal for people from different cultures   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

The screening process was seamless. I had a few different calls to talk about my experience and the HR team in Washington then planned for me to come into the Cambridge office.

On the day of the interview I was placed into a room sandwiched between other candidates. I assume we were placed this way for the ease of the interviewers to bounce from room to room, but the day was a little chaotic not knowing who would be in next (you receive an itinerary beforehand - but be prepared to speak to more people than you anticipate with the provided schedule). Be prepared to speak to your experience - like, from beginning to end. "Tell me about your work history and experience."

The HR team is very quick to respond and provides an update even if you did not get an offer. I followed up for any constructive criticism to take away from the experience and it seems that they were looking for someone with more sales experience than account management.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us how you overcame a difficult obstacle/how was it handled?
      Tell us about your work experience.
      Why Microsoft?

Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

I reached out to them via a campus recruiter. Heard back quickly. Scheduled a quick phone call interview, which was mostly behavioral. Asked a few basic questions such as heap vs stack and java vs C++. Then heard back a month later that they were not interested.

Interview Questions
    • Was asked how many bits needed to represent 100,000 in binary   Answer Question

Explore Microsoft Interview

Microsoft came to our campus career fair. I gave the campus recruiters my resume and had a phone interview later that week. Interview questions cycled through software engineer, test, and PM roles. Three weeks later I had an in-person interview offer.

About a month later I was flown out to Washington for several in-person interviews. I was given an offer within a week. Definitely the best recruiting team I've seen. I enjoyed the whole process. They really go out of your way to make it a great experience.

Interview Questions
    • Given an ascending sorted array of ints, write an algorithm to push all the duplicates to the back [1,2,2,4,5,5] --> [1,2,4,5,2,5]   Answer Question
    Incredible offer for an intern, no need to negotiate.

Cambridge Foundry Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

1 30 minute on campus interview followed by a 4 hour on site interview. The 4-hour interview was really 4, 45 minute interviews with 15 minute breaks in between. 3 of the interviews were technical, because I was applying for a Developer position, and 1 was non-technical. All of the questions were pretty standard. Have you ever worked as part of a team? Tell me a good and bad experience that you've had as part of a team. The technical questions were also pretty easy. Convert the letters in an excel spreadsheet to numbers (base 26). 2 questions about binary trees as well. My advise, don't forget null, and show up on time, and it shouldn't be too bad.

Interview Questions
    • Make sure you know about Binary Trees/Binary Search Trees. They're very important.   Answer Question

Solution Sales Profressional Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

1 round: on campus - talked about my experience, why sales, why Microsoft, how my skills are relevant for the job
    2n round (final) at MS location; 4 interviews; why MS, why sales, give me an example when you convinced a team, solved a big problem, etc/ Walk me through your resume, tell me more about the last job you did; how did you do it...