Microsoft Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 26, 2014
3,425 interviews

3.3

Product Advisor Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in August 2014.

3-step process- phone interview,open-house/group interview, then a 1:1 interview with store manager. I passed to phone interview and plan on attending to open house next week.Phone interview was very easy. Just explaining how your skills and experiences would benefit Microsoft and what pay you desired.

Interview Questions
    • Have not been asked a difficult question thus far. However, I am just in the beginning of hire process. Phone interview was very easy. Just explaining how your skills and experiences would benefit Microsoft and what pay you desired.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Questions on Data structures, algorithms, coding etc. some puzzles also. More than the solution the approach to solving a problem is important and talking your solution through convincingly. Answers to coding questions must have test cases, exception handling, readable code with comments, and also be able to satisfy most input sets.

Interview Questions
    • must be able to explain the thought process behind solution well.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Redmond, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2011.

Fairly straightforward - like any other company. A phone screen - followed by 5 rounds on site.
    Questions were of the following nature: Design a cache subsystem, spiral order printing of a matrix, regex implementation for * and ?, Binary Tree rotation question, How do you implement shuffle in a media player and how to know if a graph is bi-partite.

Senior Program Manager Interview

2 phone interviews. 5 onsite interviews. The whole process took 1 month. Microsoft is very efficient with their recruiting process and they kept me informed throughout. All the people I met knew their stuff and had an interesting conversation with them. They were friendly.

Interview Questions
    • We are a world class team with each member best in their area. What do you bring to the table that is world class?h   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in February 2014.

I handed in my resume during the career fair, and 3-4 days later, I received an e-mail, which asked me to sign up an 1-1 interview. The recruiter came to my school and interviewed me at career service. I was kind of nervous during the interview since it was my first technical interview.

Interview Questions
    • Common interview questions. The technical one is "reverse words in a string". She also asked me if I like or dislike any Microsoft products and why.   Answer Question

Build Engineer Interview

I interviewed through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in August 2013.

The process took about two weeks. I was brought to the site for a white board interview. Interviewed with three different people, one after the other. Each person interviewed me for about one hour and I was told to write some code.

Interview Questions
    • I had to solve a problem that involved arrays. The best implementation (O efficiency) for the problem was the use of hash tables.   Answer Question
    I negotiated with the vendor company and it went well. Sometimes, the worst thing one could do is not to try.

Product Advisor Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Microsoft in August 2014.

The interview is one of the most creative I've been through. It consists of an open house followed by a one on one interview. The open house consists of information about the company and all the details of the position, followed by an introduction of yourself and a partner. Next is a group interview process. If you do well enough and they like you you will be called back for a one on one interview. The one on one interview didn't really feel like an interview it felt like a conversation instead which was great. Overall great experience.

Interview Questions
    • What is your favorite thing about Windows 8 or any other Office Program?   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in August 2014.

The recruiter had a quick chat with me before arranging for a technical interview for evaluating my problem solving/algorithms/programming skills. The technical interview was conducted over phone and collabedit. I was given a programming problem (to be solved in the language of my choice). I used JavaScript to write the solution. The interviewer pointed out the need for optimization and gave some hints. I quickly figured out a fairly optimized code.

The interviewer didn't sound too impressed with my performance. As the problem was fairly simple, he probably expected me to write a perfectly optimized code on the first shot. In my opinion, I exhibited the ability to discuss and think through solutions, rather than being well-versed in solving a certain class of problems.

There is no telling what works.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected or particularly difficult. What is really hard is that the transparency is one way. You give your answers and you will never get to know what the interviewer was expecting to hear.   Answer Question

Software Engineer II Interview

Most efficient and professional interview loop I have ever seen. Was flown in from across the coast on a direct flight and was provided accommodation in a 3* hotel over night. They paid for my cab, lodging and also paid for a day of sight seeing in seattle. All in all a great experience for the entire day.

Interview Questions
    • Write an algorithm to check if 2 rectangles are overlapping given their left and right edge coordinates   Answer Question
    No negotiation as I was a fresh graduate student

Research Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in March 2014.

A manager contacted me from MSFT and informed me that they are looking for research interns. I had two interviews. One coding interview and one data science interview. The coding interview was not very challenging however the data science interview was hard!
    I got an e-mail about a week after my last interview with an offer.

Interview Questions
    • I cannot disclose any explicit information about the questions. However I can suggest people who are interviewing for data scientist-like positions to do a quick review of popular statistical techniques and be prepare to answer questions like "So why this method work?" or "Can you sketch a proof of why this method work?". Be creative and do not be afraid to answer questions with out-of-box thinking. There are many good sources online for interview questions for data scientists. You can review the most common questions in a day. So do it! It'll pay off.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. The salary and benefits are very generous.

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!