Microsoft Interview Questions

3,590 Interview Reviews

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

I initially had a on campus interview at my university. It was short 30 minute interview where they went over my resume and had a quick technical question.
    I heard back around 3 weeks later, mainly b/c I had a offer that was on the verge of expiring. They flew me out to the Redmond campus that same week.
    The day of the interview, I arrived on site around 8am and had a quick chat with HR. They told me which team I was interviewing for and sent me to the building for the interviews. I had 5 interviews and 1 lunch interview. This lasted until around 3PM.
    I received a call the next day and was extended an offer.

The technical questions asked:
    On-campus interview:
        remove duplicates from an unsorted array
    On-site interviews:
        implement strtok
        reverse string(ie. hello world => world hello)
        find lca for bst
        find first non repeating character in string
        given a list of characters and the function toLower, implement toUpper
        check for palindrome in string and singly linked list
        check if binary tree is bst

Interview Questions
    I did not negotiate, the compensation package was good enough

Software Development Engineer Interview

I had a campus interview first, which give a coding problem. I past this one. Then I got an onsite interview at Fargo. Four/Five round interviews. Every round I should do one or two coding questions, and talk about my projects, my working experiences, and so on.

Interview Questions
    • I failed one logic test problem at the first round, but did well in the rest round. I spend too much time on practicing coding problems. I didn't expect the coding problems are so easy. But I didn't do very well on talking about my working experiences.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft.

Applied online and was contacted by email by a recruiter designated to my university. Interviewed on my campus, about 45 minutes in length. I was asked to design an app that delivered personalized news to the user. The question, obviously, could've gone on as long as the interviewer wanted, so it became more of a conversation or discussing the features and briefly (pseudo-code) describe how I would accomplish them through a coding perspective, although I was never required to write actual code. Then was invited to interview in Seattle. The team I interviewed with there was extremely technical, and I found a disjunction between what I was expected to be able to handle, as a PM. It was extremely technical. I was asked to write 5 different programs and was barely asked questions about managing program schedules and being able to communicate details from a customer perspective, which was highly emphasized on the PM job description and during my first interview.

In the end, it was clear that the gap between my ideal PM role and that was interviewed for was too large, however I was offered a less technical role that still applied to a Computer Science major and accepted.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

Got selected for an interview with Microsoft through a career fair in college. The interview was held in my college's campus and it lasted for 30 mins. It was A technical round. No behavioral questions asked. I was asked about my previous job experience only. No other behavioral questions asked. The interviewer was pretty cool and was helpful. While solving the problem, when I was stuck, the interviewer gave me certain hints and clues to get to the solution. It was more like a discussion.

Interview Questions
    • For a given anagram find the longest palindrome in it.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

I started the process at my university's career fair. Then I had an in-person quick screening where they asked questions like "design an alarm clock for kids." Next, the company flew me out for in-person interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Most the questions are non-technical design questions like "design an elevator for a high-rise building." I did get a probability question but I fumbled with the answer so it apparently wasn't too important.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft.

It was an interview on my university campus. The interviewer just asked one question, given a sentence, reverse the order of the words in the sentence. Looking back it was a pretty simple question and he was prepared to ask a couple more questions after, but at the time I was unprepared, so I stumbled a bit and only got through the one.

Interview Questions
    • Given a sentence, reverse the order of the words in the sentence.   View Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

Applied through university recruiter, passed on-campus interview, was flown out to Redmond main campus. They put me up in a hotel and then I had four interview back to back (literally, 45 min interview, 15 min break, next round) between 8am and noon on one day. If anything, the early start and fast pace tired me out. The questions themselves were straight-forward. Just remember to take your time, think of corner cases, and test.

Interview Questions
    • One about designing a regex matcher, I just tried to fly through it and forgot corner cases/got flustered by my interviewers less-than-warm demeanor.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

An hour long telephonic interview followed by an on-site full loop with 5 interviews. One of the interviews was done by the recruiter primarily focused on past experience and testing. The rest of the interviews were technical with coding problems.

Interview Questions
    • You are provided with a rotating disk and and an unlimited supply of binary color sensors. One half of the disk is colored black and the other half is white. The problem is to determine the rotational direction of the disk.   Answer Question

Software Design Engineer (SDE) Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Microsoft.

Written Test, Online Coding test. 3 rounds of interviews. 2 were in person and 1 was telephonic. The questions were easy. But they always wanted us to improve on the solution that was given.

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) II Interview

I feel it is easy to get through the interview. They test raw intelligence using algo and DS and testing skills. They dont have SDET roles any more so they will be looking for more coding skills.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really difficult when compared to rest of the industry   Answer Question