Microsoft Interview Questions

Updated Sep 16, 2014
3,458 Interview Reviews

3.3

Software Development Engineer Interview

I had a campus interview first, which give a coding problem. I past this one. Then I got an onsite interview at Fargo. Four/Five round interviews. Every round I should do one or two coding questions, and talk about my projects, my working experiences, and so on.

Interview Questions
    • I failed one logic test problem at the first round, but did well in the rest round. I spend too much time on practicing coding problems. I didn't expect the coding problems are so easy. But I didn't do very well on talking about my working experiences.   Answer Question

Product Advisor Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in August 2014.

3-step process- phone interview,open-house/group interview, then a 1:1 interview with store manager. I passed to phone interview and plan on attending to open house next week.Phone interview was very easy. Just explaining how your skills and experiences would benefit Microsoft and what pay you desired.

Interview Questions
    • Have not been asked a difficult question thus far. However, I am just in the beginning of hire process. Phone interview was very easy. Just explaining how your skills and experiences would benefit Microsoft and what pay you desired.   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Microsoft.

I had a total of 5 interviews across 2 interview rounds. The first round was on the phone and included hypothetical case questions that asked what strategies would help for some situations (ex. taking market share from a leading competitor). The second round was in Redmond, and I had 4 interviews there- mainly behavioral questions were asked.

Interview Questions
    • How would you convince other college students to switch to Windows products?   Answer Question

Hardware Engineer Interview

The process is very simple. By the way, this interview is in school. It should take around 30 minutes, but for me it took only around 20 minutes. It is very straight forward. Three questions are waiting for you. From the point view of today, the questions are quite simple. All about transistors and gates.

Program Manager Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Microsoft in November 2012.

I applied for a summer internship as a program manager at the on campus job fair. I got an on campus interview. About two weeks after this interview I got the good news that I had passed it and was moving on to interviewing at Seattle. They told me to expect an email soon. I received an email about coordinating the times. I sent a response. A week later the scheduler sends an email asking for a response. I told her I had responded and she replied saying she had found the email. Because of this the whole process got delayed and me and the scheduler kept going back and forth with available days until I get a surprise call from a Microsoft recruiter asking if I had any questions for my interview tomorrow. I was still in San Diego. I had not received anything about an interview date or confirming it. It ended up being their mistake and eventually the scheduler told me that the positions had been filled for that year and to try again next year. It was so disappointing because it was my third time interviewing with them and it was my first time I got invited up to Seattle and because of their mistake I didn't even get a chance to try.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to come up with a design that would allow my smartphone to act as a remote control for the TV   Answer Question

Technical Duty Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bellevue, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in May 2014.

Two Phone interviews, was not picked up for an on site interview. First phone screen with an HR rep, second phone screen with a hiring manager. The timing of the second interview was unexpected, so I wasn't as well-prepared as I wanted to be. Had to actively follow up to determine that I hadn't been selected for the on site interview.

Interview Questions
    • Asked what I could offer to the company to make them want to keep me around for 10 years.   Answer Question

Public Relations Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Redmond, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in September 2010.

The interview process is daunting but straight forward. You are hired not only on your ability to do the job you've applied for, but also your potential to make a long-term contribution to the company. The 5-7 personal "gauntlet" interviews process can prove very intense for some.

Interview Questions
    • There are psychological as well as technical questions depending on the role. Being able to articulate success from previous experiences is very important. Also being able to share market insights helps prove you have more to offer than just job skills.   Answer Question
    Don't think about just salary, bonus, vacation time, benefits all add up to a monetary value.

Senior Operations Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Redmond, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in May 2014.

I was previously a consultant with the team that hired me so I did not go through the traditional recruiting process. I submitted my resume directly to the hiring manager after she reached out and then she had the recruiter set up the interview loops.

Interview Questions
    • As a consultant, I was always willing to say "yes" to all the project requests that were thrown my way so I could delight my client. As an FTE, I would be asked to take on work that we are not resourced for or do not align to the overall business strategy - how do you challenge the requesting party, especially when they manage your team's budget?   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate a signing bonus.

Intern Interview

Got an interview opportunity from career fair on campus and the interview was also held on campus. There were two questions. Both were pretty straightforward and the interviewer was very patient in explaining all the questions I had. My first code missed out a lot of corner cases. The interviewer was nice enough to point those out for me. I was able to correct them afterwards but still no luck for the next round.

Interview Questions
    • Write a function to return words in a string.   View Answer

Hardware Interview

Applied through website of Microsoft, took about 2 weeks for setting up an oncampus interview. He is an alumni at my school and mostly asking about computer architecture, then asking about a whole bunch of technical companies and what they do.

Interview Questions

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!