Microsoft Interview Questions

3,560 Interview Reviews

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

I initially had a on campus interview at my university. It was short 30 minute interview where they went over my resume and had a quick technical question.
    I heard back around 3 weeks later, mainly b/c I had a offer that was on the verge of expiring. They flew me out to the Redmond campus that same week.
    The day of the interview, I arrived on site around 8am and had a quick chat with HR. They told me which team I was interviewing for and sent me to the building for the interviews. I had 5 interviews and 1 lunch interview. This lasted until around 3PM.
    I received a call the next day and was extended an offer.

The technical questions asked:
    On-campus interview:
        remove duplicates from an unsorted array
    On-site interviews:
        implement strtok
        reverse string(ie. hello world => world hello)
        find lca for bst
        find first non repeating character in string
        given a list of characters and the function toLower, implement toUpper
        check for palindrome in string and singly linked list
        check if binary tree is bst

Interview Questions
    I did not negotiate, the compensation package was good enough

Software Development Engineer Interview

I had a campus interview first, which give a coding problem. I past this one. Then I got an onsite interview at Fargo. Four/Five round interviews. Every round I should do one or two coding questions, and talk about my projects, my working experiences, and so on.

Interview Questions
    • I failed one logic test problem at the first round, but did well in the rest round. I spend too much time on practicing coding problems. I didn't expect the coding problems are so easy. But I didn't do very well on talking about my working experiences.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft.

Applied online and was contacted by email by a recruiter designated to my university. Interviewed on my campus, about 45 minutes in length. I was asked to design an app that delivered personalized news to the user. The question, obviously, could've gone on as long as the interviewer wanted, so it became more of a conversation or discussing the features and briefly (pseudo-code) describe how I would accomplish them through a coding perspective, although I was never required to write actual code. Then was invited to interview in Seattle. The team I interviewed with there was extremely technical, and I found a disjunction between what I was expected to be able to handle, as a PM. It was extremely technical. I was asked to write 5 different programs and was barely asked questions about managing program schedules and being able to communicate details from a customer perspective, which was highly emphasized on the PM job description and during my first interview.

In the end, it was clear that the gap between my ideal PM role and that was interviewed for was too large, however I was offered a less technical role that still applied to a Computer Science major and accepted.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

Got selected for an interview with Microsoft through a career fair in college. The interview was held in my college's campus and it lasted for 30 mins. It was A technical round. No behavioral questions asked. I was asked about my previous job experience only. No other behavioral questions asked. The interviewer was pretty cool and was helpful. While solving the problem, when I was stuck, the interviewer gave me certain hints and clues to get to the solution. It was more like a discussion.

Interview Questions
    • For a given anagram find the longest palindrome in it.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

I started the process at my university's career fair. Then I had an in-person quick screening where they asked questions like "design an alarm clock for kids." Next, the company flew me out for in-person interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Most the questions are non-technical design questions like "design an elevator for a high-rise building." I did get a probability question but I fumbled with the answer so it apparently wasn't too important.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

30 mins campus on-site interview. Like normal campus interview, interviewer first introduce what his group do in Microsoft. And then, he asked some normal behavior questions like what is the most difficult project in your resume. Then technical part is quite simple question about linkedlist

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft.

It was an interview on my university campus. The interviewer just asked one question, given a sentence, reverse the order of the words in the sentence. Looking back it was a pretty simple question and he was prepared to ask a couple more questions after, but at the time I was unprepared, so I stumbled a bit and only got through the one.

Interview Questions
    • Given a sentence, reverse the order of the words in the sentence.   View Answer

Associate Consultant Interview

Gave my resume at a recruitment event. They contacted me for an interview, which consisted mostly of behavioral questions and clarifications of things on my resume. It seemed like it went quite well, so I was a little surprised to not hear back. I guess since it was recruitment season they had a lot of applicants.

Software Development Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Microsoft.

University recruiting. Contacted by recruiter via email. First round interview. It was conducted at my university. First question was a standard "tell me about yourself". Afterwards, I was expecting more technical questions. Instead the interviewer asked me what Microsoft products I liked and hated, and to explain why. The last question was a basic brain teaser that wasn't too bad. I would recommend that for the 1st round interview, expect more behavioral than technical questions.

Interview Questions
    • What Microsoft products I like / hate and to explain why.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft.

Met recruiter on campus event and at another college's hackathon. After the career fair, I got an email setting up the on campus interview. It was a 30 minute 1 on 1 interview with a couple questions.