Microsoft Interview Questions

Updated Sep 10, 2014
3,450 Interview Reviews

3.3

Software Development Engineer Interview

I had a campus interview first, which give a coding problem. I past this one. Then I got an onsite interview at Fargo. Four/Five round interviews. Every round I should do one or two coding questions, and talk about my projects, my working experiences, and so on.

Interview Questions
    • I failed one logic test problem at the first round, but did well in the rest round. I spend too much time on practicing coding problems. I didn't expect the coding problems are so easy. But I didn't do very well on talking about my working experiences.   Answer Question

Product Advisor Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in August 2014.

3-step process- phone interview,open-house/group interview, then a 1:1 interview with store manager. I passed to phone interview and plan on attending to open house next week.Phone interview was very easy. Just explaining how your skills and experiences would benefit Microsoft and what pay you desired.

Interview Questions
    • Have not been asked a difficult question thus far. However, I am just in the beginning of hire process. Phone interview was very easy. Just explaining how your skills and experiences would benefit Microsoft and what pay you desired.   Answer Question

Senior Operations Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Redmond, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in May 2014.

I was previously a consultant with the team that hired me so I did not go through the traditional recruiting process. I submitted my resume directly to the hiring manager after she reached out and then she had the recruiter set up the interview loops.

Interview Questions
    • As a consultant, I was always willing to say "yes" to all the project requests that were thrown my way so I could delight my client. As an FTE, I would be asked to take on work that we are not resourced for or do not align to the overall business strategy - how do you challenge the requesting party, especially when they manage your team's budget?   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate a signing bonus.

Intern Interview

Got an interview opportunity from career fair on campus and the interview was also held on campus. There were two questions. Both were pretty straightforward and the interviewer was very patient in explaining all the questions I had. My first code missed out a lot of corner cases. The interviewer was nice enough to point those out for me. I was able to correct them afterwards but still no luck for the next round.

Hardware Interview

Applied through website of Microsoft, took about 2 weeks for setting up an oncampus interview. He is an alumni at my school and mostly asking about computer architecture, then asking about a whole bunch of technical companies and what they do.

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Microsoft.

Talked to Microsoft at the university career fair. The day before the interview there was a little session with the interviewers which was pretty helpful. Had a 45 minute technical interview the next day on campus.

Interview Questions
    • Reverse the words in a sentence.

For example, "Have a nice day" becomes "day nice a Have"
        View Answer

Technical Writer/RTG Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Redmond, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in July 2014.

I was referred to this role by a staffing agency. The process with this manager was very easy. She had been on the job for 2 months before bringing me on-board, so she was still learning the ropes herself. I was hired with only one interview. She proved to be an uncommunicative manager, and one whom I wouldn't recommend. I don't think she had much of a handle on what the job would entail for a writer. She is nice and pleasant to work with though.

Interview Questions
    • There really weren't any difficult questions. The hiring manager asked some general questions about my background and skills, without explaining much about the role.   Answer Question

Premier Field Engineer Interview

Very easy going group, technical questions but overall very behavioral feel to the interview similar to many other company's (target, Cargill etc...). Great Company to work for and fantastic benefits

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview loop with 5-6 people. Several design and implementation questions.Design questions revolve around features and problem solving. Implementation questions revolve around data structures. You will be asked the same type of questions over and over again.

Interview Questions
    • Finding an edit distance between two strings   View Answer
    Just remember to play hardball. Microsoft is not a technical leader in any space right now. So, you can make them feel unwanted for you to get a great deal.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Questions on Data structures, algorithms, coding etc. some puzzles also. More than the solution the approach to solving a problem is important and talking your solution through convincingly. Answers to coding questions must have test cases, exception handling, readable code with comments, and also be able to satisfy most input sets.

Interview Questions
    • must be able to explain the thought process behind solution well.   Answer Question

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!