Microsoft

3,775 Interview Reviews

3.3

Product Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Microsoft in January 2007.

I worked at MSFT for 8 years. I went thru all day interview process twice. Once for an MBA internship and once for a fulltime gig. While at MSFT, I managed a team of 8-10 product managers for most of my time there. I was constantly interviewing others for positions on my team while there. Some thoughts for interviewing for marketing positions

1) Passion. Absolutely mandatory to show passion for technology. Often it is less abotu absoute knowledge and more about passion and ability to ramp. Your first PC, what you like about your ipod, why smartphones will change the world, etc. Pick your story and use it during the interview. Become familar and direct questions back to where you are comforatble.

2) Structured Thining. MSFT is a place of grayness often. It is up to you to figure things out. Having frameworks and strucuture to thinking is key. It will help you address unkown or new challenges - at work and in the interview process.

3) Metrics. Like any big company, metrics are key. MSFT is just figuring this out relative to your big marketing companies like P&G. Show how you think about metrics - markeshare, revenue, new accounts, etc. Use metrics to show your past expereinces and projects

Interview Questions
    • Case questions. You will probably get them.   View Answer
    • How you would change a specific product.   View Answer
    Hard to negotiate. Lots of frameworks that folks need to work within. Understand the level system there and shoot for higher levels - all compensation trickle off of the level.

Services Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in January 2009.

Microsoft has gotten a lot better at interviewing candidates. 10 years ago it was a bloodbath and if you could make the candidate leave, cry or whatever, that was a sign that you broke them and avoided a bad hire. Today the process is much more mature but still extremely tough. Microsoft has a highly competitive work environment so expect to be very challenged during your interview. NEVER say you are expert in anything....they'll find a real expert and make you look like a fool. NEVER embellish your resume, this will negate the process.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if you were out with a client, they drank too much and started tearing down the company, saying bad things about our executives, products etc.   View Answers (2)
    Negotiation room is slim. If you can somehow get yourself a higher salary, you'll be place in a higher level and it'll make your first year a killer....you'll be swimming with sharks.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Microsoft in March 2007.

The process is long and tiring. First there was the screening at my university. This included a few logic questions (geometry, etc.) with a Microsoft engineer. Then a few weeks later came the onsite interview which consisted of 1 on 1 interviews with ~6 engineers going from 8am to after 5pm. Questions there ranged from the purely syntactical (recursively reverse a singly linked list) to more design oriented (designing a radar system to keep track of bowies and their distances from an island, etc.).

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft in February 2007.

I had joined MS as a contractor and was working for this team for about 3months when they offered me the job. I did have to go through a grueling interview day - I was interviewed by 6 people. In between each interview I was taken back out to the lobby of the building and told to wait for the next interviewer. I learned later that they confer with eachother after each interview with a hire or no hire decision. If you make it past the third interview without a hitch chances are you have the job. I was asked questions like: why should I bother to hire you? What do you think is your biggest failure at a previous job?

Interview Questions
    prety one sided. They made an offer that was $17,000 a year more than I had hoped for so I took it.

Senior Marketing Manager Interview

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in April 2008.

The marketing and sales managers I interviewed with were all very well prepared and professional. HR, however, made repeated mistakes in logistics that had me unintentionally missing some of the most important interviews. The HR dept. used a contractor who didn't even have a phone so that when confusion arose there was no one to call. I felt I was being tested on my emergency research skills.

Interview Questions
    • I was often asked how I would expect to handle my relative lack of experience in large companies. In retrospect, I almost think this could have been asked more, as it has turned out to be a huge part of the challenge of the new job!   View Answer
    Negotiation process was particularly good as the recruiter was very knowledgeable, flexible and respectful. I was able to negotiate my relocation package, stock options, and bonus.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in January 2007.

All details were meticulously planned by the recruitment department. The company also provided 3 day paid stay to check out the city during the on-site.
    There was 1 on-campus interview, followed by one day of intense on-site interviews about 3 weeks later. On site, I had 1 HR interview, 4 behavioral+design interviews, 1 high-level interview with a director, and a wrap up with HR at the end of the day. Advice for PM interviews would be to be structured, methodical and always be prioritizing. Also have a good breakfast, because you would be talking throughout the day. Tips for extra points: think outside-the-box for solutions, and don't be shy to use the whiteboard to illustrate your flow of thought. Also, it would be a good idea to brush up on algorithms and your team project leadership stories.
    Expect a response about a couple of weeks after the on-site interview.

Interview Questions
    • How would you go about designing a better vending machine for coke?   Answer Question
    • What is one functionality you would love to have in a tech device (phone/laptop etc)? How would you design this functionality? What are the considerations you would take into account during this design.   Answer Question
    Wanted the job, so I didn't negotiate. There is a bit of wiggle room for entry level positions, especially if you have competing offers. Benefits are usually not negotiable, so you can ask for a better sign-on bonus, or a higher starting salary. Another aspect that can be negotiated is taking $$ instead of moving rembursement.

Account Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft in February 2008.

1:1 phone interview with the manager first. Then a 5 hour phone/face to face interview with various groups across the company. Each interviewer was different and some were unprepared, did not have my resume or the phone number to reach me at their offices. HR asked basic questions about your background, skills. Marketing asked questions about experience with marketing - and how you would help them with their position. Definitely read and know those thought questions about how to move Mt Fuji- I was asked several of those questions.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me how you would do my ( marketing/engineering) job and do it better?   View Answer
    • You have to reach and not go over 700 lbs on this scale. Everything can only be weighed one time. One group of products has already passed, but you have another set that has to be weighed without going over. How will you do this and please diagram it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in February 2009.

First round was on campus. Dealt with why I wanted to work at Microsoft. Was too much focussed on technical aspects. Was expected.
    Second round, after 2 months I get to know that there are few vacancies and whether I want 2 continue the interview process. I said yes and I was flown to Seattle for whole day interview. Interviewed with about 6-8 people, 2 teams whole day from 9am to 4 pm. If you make it through 2 rounds then only you get third round.

Within 2 days I was told that I am selected.

Interview Questions
    • What would you improve in Windows Vista? It was more focussed towards design since my position was a PM.   View Answer

User Experience Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in September 2007.

One of the most brutal interviews I've ever participated in. Seven interviews in a 6 hour time period. Every second I was present, I was being interviewed. Advice: don't let down your guard, even at lunch you are being screened for compatibility and fit with overall team. Microsoft has a very casual environment so don't overdress for the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you look for inspiration?   Answer Question
    • How do you manage to work with a team member that you aren't necessarily getting along with?   Answer Question

Summer Finance Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in November 2009.

There was an on-campus interview that lasted about 30 minutes. Mostly behavioral questions. The second interview was a full day. The day started out with a presentation followed by 4 1 hour interviews that ranged from entirely behavioral to entirely technical. After our interviews they took us to lunch, gave our group a mini tour, and sent us on our way.