Microsoft

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Getting the Interview

3,171 candidate interviews

Program Manager Interview

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details – Contacted at uni to apply for program management positions. Recruiters were very friendly and prompt to reply. Scheduled an initial video chat with one of the PM leads at Microsoft. Interviewer did not seem friendly / pleased to be doing the interviewing. Chatted about their role then dove into quite tough questions. Felt on the back foot most of the interview. Questioned how I would tackle some of the more complex problems they are currently facing as a team (e.g. how I might improve Bing Search). Couple of technical puzzler style questions (bit more algorithmic than "why are manholes round"), which were a bit unexpected for a PM role. Would recommend being familiar with the entire Microsoft range and not accidentally mentioning any competitors (probably obvious, but being uncomfortable with acknowledging the elephant in the room of Google Search was a bit unexpected).

Interview Question – You have a 5-sided die. You need to produce a uniform random number between 1-7. You can re-roll the die as much as you need. How do you achieve this?   View Answer

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview

Interview Details – online resume submission, telephonic, on-site

Interview Question – Most question were moderate to difficult.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Interviewed at Microsoft

Interview Details – Initial on campus screening. I was given a coding question to solve in a language of my choice (something like break a string into an array of its letters as characters. then I was asked the following question: "if you had to design a tv remote control with only 2 buttons, what would the buttons do?" We spoke about that for 10 minutes or so and then answered my questions about the company and internship program.

Interview Question – if you had to design a tv remote control with only 2 buttons, what would the buttons do?   Answer Question

Technical Sales Interview

Interviewed at Microsoft

Interview Details – Submitted resume online and was given an acknowledgement message of receipt. They said " we will retain your details in our system so that we may contact you again as we move through our candidate consideration process." I never heard back from them for the position I applied for.

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview

Interviewed at Microsoft

Interview Details – One of the recruiter approached me via linkedin, i had hit-around-bush chat with him just to get to know my background. then there was a formal technical interview. After that there was another one lasting for an hour. Then i was invited to the onsite interview in ireland. Unfortunately other things turned up i had to give up the chance

Interview Question – all normal questions on book, algorithms, data structures etc.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interviewed at Microsoft

Interview Details – applied online, and had an on-campus interview.
Interview was about 40 minutes talking about my background and
asked 1 question and related sub-questions.

Design Verification Engineer Intern (XBOX Team) Interview

Interview Details – Phone Interview and 1:1 interviews

Interview Question – FIFO, LIFO in Verilog   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Interviewed at Microsoft

Interview Details – Had a 30 min phone interview mainly about my coursework and project. Its been almost 4 weeks now and I have not heard from them regarding my result. I have emailed the HR about 5-6 times and she has not even answered once. This puts a big doubt about Microsoft's hiring process. It appears that they do not value people's time. With the HR not replying, I do not know how to know my result. I have not had such an experience with any other company.

Interview Question – Nothing unsual   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interviewed at Microsoft

Interview Details – Simple interview, no surprises. Its a big corporate, so everything you would expect from the standard interview process, including personality, interests, strengths, technical questions. A fair amount of questions were asked about previous employments and projects, employment history and so on. Expectations were a big part of the process. Read about any cliche corporate interview, and its all here.

Interview Question – What are your expectations for the job?   Answer Question

Software Development Intern Interview

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details – Did not make it past the first round of phone interviews

Interview Question – The questions were really logic based and out of the ordinary. They really just want to see how you think.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Microsoft

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!

Microsoft Videos

Microsoft – Why Work for Us?

What do you want in a job? Do you want more than a paycheck? At Microsoft, you can discover potential you didn’t know you had, push your limits, turn your ideas into reality and make a real impact on the industry and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Microsoft interview questions and advice. All 3,171 interview reviews posted anonymously by Microsoft employees and interview candidates.