Microsoft Interview Questions

4,120 Interview Reviews

3.3

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft (San Diego, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

I had a good ranking in the Microsoft College Code Competition and got the interview. Microsoft's recruiting is really slow. They gave me the interview very late, and now it has been 3 weeks since the interview, I haven't heard a thing from them. I may choose other company at the end.

Interview Questions

• Asked me to introduce my pertinent experiences. After that there was a very easy coding question. Give you an array, find the two numbers that are closest to each other. Return the smallest pair if there are more than one solutions.   1 Answer

Product Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied for this position in November on a whim - I don't have the best luck with online applications, so I didn't expect anything to happen.

But amazingly enough, in late January, I received an email from a Microsoft recruiter informing me that they wanted to set up an initial phone call. Having had some dismal luck with job hunting, I was overwhelmed and excited.

The 30-minute phone call was set up a couple of weeks later with the same recruiter. She asked me a good mix of questions, including some behavioral questions and a case question. They give you a lot of resources to study from and I took advantage of it, and I think this definitely helped with the phone call.

It took them some time to figure out the headcount for this program, so they were able to get back to me about the on-site interview about a month later.

Microsoft does an amazing job taking care of its candidates. They'll fly you in the day before your interview and you also have the option of either leaving the day of or the day after. They encourage you to get a feel for Seattle, but if you're going to work at Microsoft for a couple of years, you'll need to like where you're living.

The day started at 9 a.m., and one by one, each candidate (half of us were intern candidates, the other half were full-time candidates), was pulled into a separate room by a recruiter. They briefed us about the day, asked us about any other offers we had and sent us on our way.

From what I've heard (and read) on Glassdoor, if you make it past lunchtime, it's usually a good sign. I had two hour-long interviews before lunchtime, had lunch with a recent ACE Marketing hire and had three more hour-long interviews afterwards. I had a great feeling and followed up with each person I interviewed to thank them.

Nearly two week later, I heard back from my onsite interview recruiter saying that I got the job! After I read over their compensation package (which is very generous), I accepted.

Interview Questions

• How would you go about create a campaign for Office 365?   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft (Miami, FL) in March 2015.

Interview

I was initially contacted by a Microsoft recruiter via LinkedIn. After a brief exchange of emails, I had a telephonic interview scheduled roughly 2 weeks after initial contact. The interview itself was pretty straight-forward and mostly behavioral, although there was an emphasis on explaining past projects in detail. The interview concluded with the "9 Marbles Brain Teaser" question. After about 4 weeks, I received a followup email.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in March 2015.

Interview

Got a phone interview 1 week after submitting my resume. It was not going too well since I had a hard time answering on technical questions, but since I told about my own projects in my free-time it turned out to be worth the final-round interviews on-site. They even paid for the flight and hotel.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between a thread and a process? (Operating systems question)   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in March 2015.

Interview

I had one phone interview that wasn't too bad!

Question:
    1. One with difficulty like implement strncmp or strcat, etc...
    2. One that seemed easy but with a twist.

Onsite:
    4 interviews in total

Questions:
    Know your algos and data structures and you will be fine. Interviewers are comfortable and give tips to help!

Didn't do well on my last interview, which I think was the deciding factor for me to not get hired.

Premier Field Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft (Charlotte, NC) in March 2015.

Interview

From the time I was contacted by the Microsoft recruiter until I took my first technical interview was about two to three weeks, which was a little longer than I expected. The interviews consisted of a technical phone screen via Lynk with two seasoned PFE's, followed by an in-person interview with the manager of the PFE group with which I was interviewing.

Both interviews went well, and the people I interviewed with were very nice and personable. I have interviewed with Microsoft before, and worked with them as a partner, and in all of my interactions I have always been impressed by the caliber of people they have and how outgoing they are.

Interview Questions

• Can you describe a situation when you would not use a clustered columnstore index.   1 Answer
    • Can you name the six properties of SQL Server tables?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Their offer was satisfactory, no negotiation needed.

Service Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in March 2015.

Interview

It took approximately a month from the time I submitted my resume online until a recruiter emailed me back with instructions on how to proceed. My interviews took place five days after I was contacted. I met with three service engineers, one program manager and the "as appropriate". I was informed the same day, unofficially, that I was hired, however it took another week before I got the official offer.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to read the output of a network packet exchange and explain what I was seeing   1 Answer

Negotiation

The offer was better than I expected and negotiation was necessary

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

Interview

I went to the career fair then got contacted for campus interview. This interview was pretty chill and questions were easy. Then they flew me over to Seattle and I had 5 in person interviews. I thought I did well but got rejected. First three interviews were technical heavy while next two consist of some behavioral and design questions. I learned alot even though I did not get an offer.

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in March 2015.

Interview

The interview questions and structures were pretty standard when compared to other companies that I also interviewed with, such as Apple, Facebook, Google, Walmartlabs, etc.. It included a screener, phone interviews and onsite interview. Interestingly though, Microsoft's screener was an online test of basic math and probability. In terms of the logistic of the process, I got a little confused for having to deal with multiple recruiters within Microsoft. However, they were all friendly, prompt and reasonably helpful.

Questions asked include my education and research background, statistics, basic probability, machine learning and coding. Interviewers came from different background and are experts at what they do, so be prepared for questions that require some well thought out answers.

Microsoft is pretty generous for their onsite interview, so you will have a good time (not the best though, Adobe offered $100 daily meal reimbursement =p ).

Overall, the experience was great. It was quite different than the impression of a middle age corporation that I had in mind before I went to the interview. Employees there are young and enthusiastic in their work, at least for the team I interviewed for. Management also seems to be ambitious in what they want to achieve (in a positive way).

Interview Questions

• I am not allowed to disclose their questions, here is a short one that has the similar flavor to what I had: How do you solve the L2-regularized regression problem? (and many follow up questions)   1 Answer

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

After applying to the company through University of Waterloo's job network, I was contacted for an interview outside of school. Two 45min interviews back to back by senior employees at the Tokyo branch.

Interview Questions

• How would you decide which player wins in poker?   Answer Question
    • Make a function to remove all duplicate chars from a string, sort it, and then return the new string.   Answer Question