Microsoft Interview Questions

Updated Jul 27, 2015
4,367 Interview Reviews

3.2

Finance Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

The first round interview was on campus. It was 45 minutes in length. Very conversational, and the interviewer only asked 2~3 questions. I think the interviewer already decided whom he likes even before the actual interview takes place. I think he really likes my background, so he didn't ask difficult questions that he asked my other friends who also interviewed with him.

Interview Questions

• What is the one thing that you would change about Microsoft?   Answer Question

Marketing Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

referral by friend, take two week to get an on-site interview. 1 to 1 interview, interviewer very nice and ask for some solutions about team-work. Spent 5 days to prepare about interview, study MS market products, background, financial report.

Interview Questions

• Q: what's your most passion for this position ? Why ?   Answer Question
    • Q: Why you wanna work with MS, your career plan for 5 years. ?   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Interview

Got the interview at their campus recruitment event. A plesant Microsoft employee who is an alum of my school talked to me a bit about my interests, experiences and signed me up for an interview 2 weeks from the date.

Interview Questions

• Given two rectangles, check if they intersect? He also asked me if I have seen the question before to which I replied I had but that I had not tried solving it.   2 Answers

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft (Dallas, TX).

Interview

I received two phone interviews. The next process involved a trip to the Microsoft tech center in Dallas, Texas. This appears a common practice at Microsoft where they invite potential candidates to sit down through several interviews. I received five interviews that day.

Interview Questions

• How would you go about implementing a multi-site implementation of AX?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

I initially had a on campus interview at my university. It was short 30 minute interview where they went over my resume and had a quick technical question. I heard back around 3 weeks later, mainly b/c I had a offer that was on the verge of expiring. They flew me out to the Redmond campus that same week. The day of the interview, I arrived on site around 8am and had a quick chat with HR. They told me which team I was interviewing for and sent me to the building for the interviews. I had 5 interviews and 1 lunch interview. This lasted until around 3PM. I received a call the next day and was extended an offer. The technical questions asked: On-campus interview: remove duplicates from an unsorted array On-site interviews: implement strtok reverse string(ie. hello world => world hello) find lca for bst find first non repeating character in string given a list of characters and the function toLower, implement toUpper check for palindrome in string and singly linked list check if binary tree is bst

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I did not negotiate, the compensation package was good enough

Producer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

Screening call, flight to WA, sequential interviews up the chain until someone says no. The destroyer: hr sent me paperwork with instructions. The instructions? Wrong. Wrong building, wrong contact. When I called the HR contact (who was supposed to meet with me first and go over what to expect), I was connected to someone in Israel with the same name. Luckily, the person from Israel called back and explained. When I finally got to my first interview, I was admonished for being late. I survived 2 more, but no further. Very disappointed.

Strategy Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

2 phone calls, one 45 minutes, the other 30 minutes, follow up interview with team in person. Pretty standard topics regarding my professional experiences, aspirations, the makeup of the team, and what it's like to work at Microsoft. Interviewed with a person actually in the role, and after pushing him about what he did on a day to day basis, he (seemingly reluctantly) admitted "mostly spreadsheets and powerpoints."

Interview Questions

• What do you think the main profit drivers are for the Xbox division?   2 Answers

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in May 2015.

Interview

This was an internal interview process, so it started with an informational with the hiring manager (~1hr discussion around what the team does, what my current responsibilities were, and why I was interested in the position). Next, there were 3 technical interviews, all about an hour long. Finally, there was a interview with the Engineering Director for that group - that lasted 1.5 hours, and we discussed why I thought I would be a good fit for that team.

Interview Questions

• Imagine a random distribution of water droplets spread across the whiteboard, design an algorithm to create the maximal enclosed area by connecting the water droplets with lines.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in May 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by HR on linkedin. Though I was not very much interested, I decided to give a shot. I had first phone interview, and followed by 5 interviews on campus.

Interview Questions

• 1) How would you sort large files. On campus questions 1) 2 Sum problem 2) loop in list, and detect start of it 3) Design Tic Tac Toe 4) Hr type interview.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft (San Diego, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

The process was on the phone first, then in person 3 times. The interviewer decided that we should cycle through the teams that are hiring to see if I'd be a good fit for any of them. Each team was unique enough to offer different questions into difference technologies.

Interview Questions

• There were more abstract estimations than I expected. The whole how many windows in NYC type questions were rampant, almost to a point where I was questioning the interviewer.   Answer Question