Microsoft

Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Service Engineer Interview

Senior Service Engineer
Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details – Got contacted by HR and took the telephonic few days later, was flown into Seattle(all expenses paid) for face to face. This is the lengthiest face to face you will find, some repetitive questions, for some reason I think Microsoft interviewers really want you to follow their chain of thought, there are 10 ways to solve a problem and would like to hear till you get to their way, the interview as such was not difficult but tedious because after 2 different hourly technical interviews your brain needs a break but it goes on and on followed by lunch interview and few more technical and hiring manager etc etc. If you really want to judge the technical skills an hour is just enough or may be two at max, no point in leaving someone brain-dead and still follow up with more interviews.

Interview Question – There was nothing difficult as such they really are not doing any rocket science, but if they are picky on some technology they will grill you on it, ex. f5 load balancers, if its on your resume better know it in and out and i dont mean load balancing methods, much beyond that. Questions such as application slowness issues through F5.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Program Manager
Redmond, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2013.

Interview Details – I was a previous intern in IT for Microsoft and elected to interview on the Products side. I bluffed that I had standing offers with other companies which expedited my interview process. On-site interview was a full day with 6 interviewers who asked many questions and answered any I had.

Interview Question – Where do you see the company and yourself in 5 years?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I negotiated a larger signing bonus of about 150%

Premier Field Engineer Interview

Premier Field Engineer

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details – 4 Rounds - Technical, Client handling skills, Management & HR. Technical got lot of deep technical knowledge.IF you love Microsoft technology you can crack it. Client handling & Management round are scenario base- Be careful what you answer :)

Interview Question – Scenario basic Question & Deep Technology questions   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Microsoft in June 2013.

Interview Details – Pretty straight forward. first interview was via phone with HR screener. Next was via phone with hiring manager. Last was a day in the office with 6 different individuals, starting with HR, then several individuals from the department/team, then the hiring manager, and lastly the "as appropriate". Offer came via HR contact, as did all negotiations, however the hiring manager also did contact me via email.

Interview Question – nothing really - pretty standard.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Software Development Engineer
Madison, WI

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in May 2014.

Interview Details – 1. Given two tree. To judge one tree is another tree's subtree.
2. Given a maze (2D matrix have some block at some position), start position and end position. To find a path.
3. Given a binary tree. Find the length of the path with maximum path sum, the path may start and end at any node.

Interview Question – Too nervous to get a solution quickly and bug free.   View Answer

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET)

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details – Interview on college campus through University Recruiting. First interview was nice and consisted of single technical coding question. Second round interviews in Redmond were more difficult and focused on data structures. Hard bu fair questions.

Interview Questions

• First round interview asked to write program that took a file of text, and then counted and stored all words from file.   View Answer
  • Given a array of integers, write code to find the max possible sum of sub-arrays. Use arithmetic progression.   View Answer
  • Given any two nodes in a binary tree, develop program that determined their highest common ancestor.   View Answer

Senior Consultant Interview

Senior Consultant

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details – Was referred by a Microsoft employee for a consulting position. After being contacted multiple times by different recruiters, MS flew me to a branch office for an onsite interview. Only one person showed up to interview me the entire day, and I was left sitting in a conference room the rest of the time. The interview with the practice leader went well, then I heard nothing for six months. After being contacted by the employee who referred me, I emailed the recruiter asking if I was still being considered. I received an apology and was told there was an internal reorg and they just forgot to tell me the position was closed.

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Software Development Engineer I

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in March 2013.

Interview Details – This was through a college recruitment. Phone interview to assess for a technical internship. Mostly behavioral type of questions. Asked some questions about my preferences in language; details about projects, what they did, any team mates that I worked with. I had to . Then a small brain teaser about dividing up some sticks.

Interview Question – Silly brainteasers that depend mostly on how well the interviewer can communicate with you. My question was paying workers with gold bar segments and you can only cut it 2 times.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Software Development Engineer II
Research Triangle Park, NC

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in June 2014.

Interview Details – The interview process first started with a recruiter who asked several questions about my current employment and what I was looking for in a job. She also gave me a high level description of the job.

Second, she arranged for a developer to call me to have a discussion which lasted in hour. During the conversation, the developer asked about my technical background and gave me 2 computer programs to write over the phone.

Next I heard from Microsoft that the phone interview went well, so they wanted to see me in person. A scheduler contacted me by email to setup the face to face interviews. The interview went from 12PM to 4PM.

I arrived at the reception and the first developer quickly took me to his office where he questioned me for 1 hour and asked me to solve a computer program on the board. I interviewed with two other developers in the same manner. I was supposed to interview with a manager, but he was on vacation

Interview Question – Describe the most challenging problem you've had and how you solved it?   View Answer

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET)
Redmond, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in April 2010.

Interview Details – Initial Call:
I was referred to a (techincal) manager internally who contacted me directly. After a a casual chat he sussed out that I would need to brush up on data structure / algorithms and would call me back in 2 weeks. I picked up my algo/datastructures textbook and read through it and worked through writing simple algorithms on paper during my commute.

Official Screener:
During my official technical screening (figuring out whether they'll fly you out to redmond or not) they asked me the standard linked list question - detect if there's a loop, etc. and then asked me to create a system to organize a bunch of objects with different classifications. I ended up coming up with a dewey decimal system. I was also asked finding the common ancestor in a binary trees.

On Campus:
I got setup with somebody from HR as my first interview. I was told I could ask her anything to help me through my interview process. I asked her some random questions like " should i not mention that my last project was using google apis". To which she replied that Microsoft respects any good technology so just because they're competing, don't be afraid to talk about it.

Tech Interviews:
1. Write a function to list all prime numbers up to a maximum. Finished it in 15 minutes and then was asked to write test cases for it. I filled up one whiteboard.
2. Non-coding - was asked to test a webpage with a single inputbox and a button.
3. Remove a character from a string. Test it.
4. Walk a binary tree, breadth first. Test it. (I ran out of time with this one)
5. My as-appropriate asked me a technical question because i didn't do so well on my last question. He asked to merge two link lists. I answered it with no troubles.

My As-appropriate walked me out and waited for a shuttle with me while telling me all the seattle spots to hit up.

HR got back to me a few days later, gave me an offer and laid out the benefits of the job.

Advice:
The interviewers are interested in solving the problem, but they're very interested in "how" you solve the problem. Talk out loud. Make sure you understand the question. Walk through an example first. Write out psuedo code, then code it for real. Organize your test cases in categories.

Interview Question – Walking the binary tree. I wasn't expecting this question and should have brushed up on my trees a bit more.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation.