Microsoft Interview Questions

Updated Sep 16, 2014
3,458 Interview Reviews

3.3

Explorer Interview

I got a call for interview on my university campus. After I passed that one, I was flown out to Redmond for 3 rounds of interviews with people from all 3 disciplines (PM, SDE, SDET)

Interview Questions
    • I was asked about how you can test a product like excel.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Mountain View, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Microsoft.

Very fast process for me, but have heard that it went slow for some others. So varies.
    Got a phone screen with some technical questions, then an onsite within a few days, and an offer a few days after that.
    The interviews were good, lots of whiteboard coding questions but good questions, nothing stupid. Some basic sanity checks, i.e. very simple questions, some slightly more complicated (e.g. rearranging linked lists). Long day.
    If one or two interviewers give a solid thumbs down they often stop the process so they do not waste time, so if the interview is shorter than expected then expect bad news. If you make it to see the hiring manager it is a good sign.

Interview Questions
    • Honestly don't remember, but I was not stuck anywhere so there was nothing too ridiculous. But they do expect you to think of edge cases and test cases, especially for an SDET.   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate but should have. I asked for too little and got it. Research the market and ask for slightly more than you want.

MIcrosoft Explorer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft.

Initially applied online, didn't get a response for a good month or so. A recruiter reached out to me and scheduled a college campus interview that was composed of straightforward CS questions (e.g. difference between an array and linked list) and a brainteaser (which I did not get). Same recruiter followed up a couple of days later letting me know I'd been selected for on-site interviews. A week later or so I flew to Microsoft HQ in Redmond, where I had three 45-minute interviews: one focused on testing (e.g. design a remote control and how to test it), one focused on software development (focused heavily on hashing and string manipulation), and one focused on program management (e.g. how would you change a product and why). Received a call with my offer the next day.

Interview Questions
    • 1) Given 2 strings, remove every instance of every letter in the second string from the first string. Then do it without shifting letters in the first string or creating another string.
      2) What is the most efficient way of checking if a letter in the second string is in the first string in the previous problem? What if you're using all ASCII characters? What if you're using the entire Unicode character set?
        View Answer

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft in August 2013.

I was contacted by a recruiter from Microsoft, who found my profile on LinkedIn. He sent me an online test for me to take, which I passed. Then his colleagues scheduled the on-site interview in Redmond, Washington.

The interviews went well. I had a good rapport with the four interviewers. Each interview consisted of a few minutes of information questions, followed by a coding question that you have to do on a whiteboard. I answered all but one of the coding questions correctly, as far as I could tell. No matter how much you prepare, a lot of it comes down to luck -- you never know how much a question can stump you, even if the interviewer is helping you. I did study and practice some questions before the interview, but I can't say that it really made much difference.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked a question about hashing that required a clever solution that used bit shifting. I think the interviewer may have realized that it was too hard to give candidates a chance to demonstrate their skills.   View Answer
    No, I didn't try to negotiate, probably to my detriment. I wanted to leave my current job quite badly and would not have wanted Microsoft to call my bluff and stay at my previous employer.

Senior Marketing Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft in June 2013.

Great set-up and follow-up. I went through three 1-hour long interviews and then a 2 hour long interview with a GM. Interviewers were professional, personal, interested and asked good questions.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly we talked through my experiences and resume.   View Answer
    I negotiated a $5K bonus.

Account Technology Strategist Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft.

The screening process is long, expect to meet with 4-5 people over 4 hours or more. You'll meet with at least one manager during that cycle and everyone will take a different line of questioning about your background, skills and experiences. Part of the process is to see how you hold up under pressure for a prolonged time.

Interview Questions
    • Can you give an example where you had to deal with a difficult customer and what you did to overcome that?   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in July 2014.

Contacted by recruiter, whole process took about 1.5 month. After phone interview, recruiter told me I 'll have 3 rounds for onsite, but I actually got five rounds, each one for 1h... All interviewers are really nice people.

Interview Questions
    • Normal interview questions, not hard. 1. Search element in rotated sorted array. 2 Find top two biggest elements in array. 3. Inorder tree traversal (implement iterator). 4. LinkedList operation...Forget other questions, but they are all pretty easy.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 8 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in January 2013.

Felt highly disorganized. Issues with email/reminder system and several communication problems with pre-interview process. Might have been something like a bad email responsible, but either way, the experience was not good, and resulted in stressors such as "are you coming to the interview next week?" (I had no idea...), and an unfortunate surprise that I was being interviewed for SDET, not SDE, which was something I had explicitly not indicated an interest in.

There were 4 interviews. Was late to one of them thanks to the whole process starting late starting with interviewer #1... could tell this made a negative impression, but there was nothing to be done.

One interviewer really did not appreciate being asked about stack rank and took it as a sign of fear /poor work ethic, although others were more receptive.

Overall, not impressed and felt like they wasted my time, but the feeling was apparently mutual. They were very good about reimbursements and accommodations though, but I wouldn't consider interviewing there again.

Interview Questions
    • There was some sorting thing using an array. It's been a bit too long so I don't really remember. Also some test-related questions for which I was unprepared.   Answer Question

Business Sales Specialist Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Microsoft in November 2013.

I applied online but and was contact immediately for a phone screen by a contracted recruiter who was very impressed by me. He talked me through the rest of the process and started the ball rolling on the Microsoft end. I received a series of emails regarding my in-person interview with a store manager. On the day of my interview, the manager was somewhat unprepared for me (didn't have my resume, was late, didn't know I was an employee referral, etc) but I gathered that this person tends to be somewhat scattered and not focused on any one task at hand at a time. The interview went well, regardless. After I left, the employee who referred me was asked by the manager to write a letter of recommendation on my behalf to be submitted into my files. I was told I would be contacted for a 3rd interview (with the DM) in two weeks. No one called. I followed up with an email and was told that I was still being considered along with two others but that they were just busy with the holidays. I emailed my original recruiter after two more weeks (he mentioned I would be getting a survey and offered to help if I ever needed it at any time during the screening process) but he never responded to my email at all. At the end of January, eight weeks after my in-person, I received an email from a Microsoft recruiter who I had not dealt with before saying that they had decided to pursue other candidates who better fit their hiring profile.

I was told from someone internally that Microsoft has a pretty strict policy about gender equality in leadership and it was suspected that since the leadership of this particular location was heavily female, I was not being considered, regardless of my qualifications, how well I interviewed, or how well I could actually perform in the role. Ironically, the position was offered to a male, who eventually turned the position down. Microsoft never filled the position and the requisition has since been closed.

I was told I would receive a survey to complete regarding my experience within a day or two of working with my initial contracted recruiter...I received it almost 5 months later. What a joke.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were standard interview questions. The manager had extremely lofty goals...almost unrealistic...so I'm not sure if they were to get a reaction out of me but I'm always up for a challenge so I was actually pretty excited about it. More money for manager, more money for me. That's just how commissioned sales works...   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

interviewed at Microsoft in September 2013.

Contacted university recruiter, she set me up with an on-campus interview. I had an hour-long interview and was setup with an on-site where they asked me PM questions (no coding). Heard back within a few (2 to 3) weeks.

Interview Questions

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!