Microsoft Interview Questions

3,553 Interview Reviews

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in State College, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in State College, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in October 2014.

I first gave my resume at the career fair now after two weeks Microsoft is back on campus to interview. The interviewer was nice. He first asked me about my past projects/behavioral questions then moved on to ask me two technical questions. The whole interview was 30 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • 1. If there is a new integer in a binary tree data structure called height which would specify the level for each node. Implement a function that would populate the height at each node.
      2. Given a value, display it in binary.
        Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in October 2014.

For Summer Internship. First stage of interview conducted on my college campus with a standard technical question: find the sum of scores of every sub-array axb within array NxN.

Second stage was conducted in Seattle, four interviews all 1:1 with breaks in between. Some asked coding questions, other more conceptual problem solving questions but usually relating to job-related tasks.

Interview Questions
    • I was given a Binary Search Tree problem, where you were to search the tree and determine if it was indeed a Binary search tree. However, the interviewer ignored me the entire interview and proceeded to spend the entire time perusing Yahoo groups, only glancing up a few times and to state at the end he wasn't satisfied with my solution.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in October 2014.

I was contacted via email and invited to an on-campus interview that lasted 30 minutes long. I was given two programming questions, one related to graphs and the other related to a subarray sum problem. After a few days, I was contacted for second round interviews in Boston, all expenses paid, to be interviewed at the Microsoft Research Building. I had 4 45 minute interviews in the morning, and received an internship offer within a week.

Interview Questions
    • Given a hashmap of abbreviations to a list of what the abbreviations stand for, write a program to guess new abbreviations' expanded forms (even though each letter could stand for many things) based on the mutual probabilities of the words being together in the existing abbreviation database.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I cleared my campus interview and came down to Bellevue. The interview process started at 7.30AM. With 4 rounds of interview each 45 min. I found 3 of them to be pretty simple but the last one was very hard :/. I interviewed at the Bing office.

Interview Questions
    • longest subsequence of a string, how to check if a tree is a BST. queue using stacks, Area of overlapping between 2 squares, Count the number of spaces in a sting, remove a node from the linked list, etc   View Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft in October 2014.

on-campus interview. I tendered my resume at the career fair and had a good talk with the recruiter. They replied in about 2 weeks to invite me to on-campus interview. The interviewer only gives you 30min to crack a not-so-easy coding question that has many corner cases and pitfalls. Product design question was also asked.

Interview Questions
    • parse a string of arithmetic expression that could contain all sort of garbage. Many edge cases to consider. Follow up is a phone feature design question.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in October 2014.

I applied online in August and got an phone interview. We talked about my past experience and I was given a simple brain teaser and a design question. Mostly focused on my work/project experience.

Waited 4~5 weeks and then they told me they want to fly me out to Redmond to do onsite interviews.
    Travel + hotel all booked by their travel team. I was attending a conference in a different city the week before my interview but it was no problem for them to adjust my flight for my convenience.

Everything was really nice, they do really take care of their employees and potential ones as well.

On the interview day, I woke up around 6 and went out to the lobby of the hotel around 6:45 am , there were other people who are also waiting to get picked up by Microsoft. We arrived at the building where interviews are held. Breakfast at 7:30, mingle with other interviewees, and then interview started at 8. Each 45 minutes long with 15 min breaks in between. Lunch at noon, we all headed to the "Commons" (or whatever they call it) it's the main area of the campus. Where we ate was giant food court style, all sorts of food available. etc.
    After lunch, we headed back to the interview building and they told us some logistics of what's next. 1.5 days later, I got an email asking when I'll be available to "chat" and the next day, my recruiter called and said I got the position.

One thing I want to say is that, Redmond + Bellevue is dominated by Microsoft buildings and it seems that you get a lot of respect if you are an Microsoft employee. They even have a "Microsoft employee only" counter at the Seattle airport. Blew my mind... Also, these cities or towns....they are brand new and also their environment is really nice, trees and mountains everywhere with fresh air and etc.

Interview Questions
    • NDA, but nothing difficult. get ready to talk about every past work experience/projects. They are looking to hire someone innovative and a team player. I didn't get any questions related to any Microsoft products which was surprising. The company is going through a lot of changes (for good I believe) and just show them your logic solving questions...mostly importantly, have fun doing it, get to know the interviewers.   Answer Question
    They offered a lot more than the avg stat on this site. the avg here it says $6,600 ~ $6,800/month but I got offered more than that.. (< $7,500 though). I was gonna negotiate considering I had offers from other companies but I heard the number and it was way too good to negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Microsoft in October 2014.

I applied on the college job board and got an email from the recruiter a couple days later for some positions and signed up for an interview time for the next week. Got to the on-campus interview and talked a bit about my prior experience and internships, why Microsoft, and then what I wanted to do to change the world. Half-way through the 30 minute interview the interviewer asked me a coding question that I promptly failed after writing meaningless loops for a recursion problem.

Overall I felt like I had a tough interview question and a tough/apathetic interviewer. He started checking his phone once I started writing on the whiteboard and clearly seemed more focused on getting the interviews done on time so he wouldn't be late for the next ones.

Interview Questions
    • Given a 2D array with increasing integers, find a way to traverse clock-wise and print the outside of the matrix first, and then the second layer, until the center values.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Pretty standard process: first 2 behavior questions, why PM, why MS; then a simple tech questions on data structure; then a question on schedule delay; then a product design problem

Program Manager Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

Initial application and interview through campus recruiting. They do several rounds of recruiting, so be patient, they might not call you up for an interview right away. Onsite interview afterwards which consists of several interviews with different people, and potential teammates and team leads.

Interview Questions
    • Everything was pretty standard for a PM position. Started off with behavioral questions. Mostly asked for implementations of a specific system. They are looking for creative and detailed-oriented people.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview

My recruiter called me at the expected time and gave me 4 questions:
    1. What was your most difficult technical problem and how did you handle it?
    2. How would you design a kitchen timer?
    3. Simple for-loop coding question.
    4. What does good design mean to you?