Microsoft Interview Questions

Updated Sep 26, 2014
3,485 Interview Reviews

3.3

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Microsoft.

After my graduation, I posted my Resume at Microsoft's global career website, HR contacted and scheduled phone screen that was an hour long, I was invited for onsite interview full loop, the onsite loop involved first some information exchange with HR person, then I was approached by would be manager, he welcomed at the reception and sent over to another member on the team to be interviewed, I had 3 interviews back to back and one of them has been a lunch interview, then I met the would be manager (a test lead) again for the fourth interview, all first four interviews were whiteboard sessions, and we also chatted on my resume, past experience, general questions like where do see yourself in five years from now, etc etc. All the programming questions were on data structures and algorithms and core CS concepts. My fifth interview was with hiring manager (a Test manager), he also sent me to board for another whiteboard session, then asked me various test questions, like give test cases for testing the keyboard, coffee mug, MS Paint, then he started over resume and asked me questions on my research assistantship experience and projects that I completed there. All the interviewers were very respectful, between each interview they asked me if I cared for a drink. It ended up very happy and memorable experience, I was offered the job!

Interview Questions
    • Should we ship the product that has known bugs and issues?   View Answer

Product Advisor Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Microsoft in August 2014.

The interview is one of the most creative I've been through. It consists of an open house followed by a one on one interview. The open house consists of information about the company and all the details of the position, followed by an introduction of yourself and a partner. Next is a group interview process. If you do well enough and they like you you will be called back for a one on one interview. The one on one interview didn't really feel like an interview it felt like a conversation instead which was great. Overall great experience.

Interview Questions
    • What is your favorite thing about Windows 8 or any other Office Program?   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Microsoft.

This was a technical interview that I met with the person in his office.
    He was nice, greeted me and asked a few questions about what I did in my previous jobs. While solving the problem, he helped me with some small hints or questions. I felt more like brainstorming with a work friend rather than being interviewed, which was nice. In the end he thanked and told he is going to let the lead know and they are going to follow up with me with details.

Interview Questions
    • Given a database, where we know some portion of data (e.g. say 20%) is accessed more than the other portion of the database by the client. We have a frontend that client requests data from. Design a data structure that will increase the efficiency of access of objects. And we know that we can only hold on to n elements in memory.   View Answers (3)

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in August 2014.

The recruiter had a quick chat with me before arranging for a technical interview for evaluating my problem solving/algorithms/programming skills. The technical interview was conducted over phone and collabedit. I was given a programming problem (to be solved in the language of my choice). I used JavaScript to write the solution. The interviewer pointed out the need for optimization and gave some hints. I quickly figured out a fairly optimized code.

The interviewer didn't sound too impressed with my performance. As the problem was fairly simple, he probably expected me to write a perfectly optimized code on the first shot. In my opinion, I exhibited the ability to discuss and think through solutions, rather than being well-versed in solving a certain class of problems.

There is no telling what works.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected or particularly difficult. What is really hard is that the transparency is one way. You give your answers and you will never get to know what the interviewer was expecting to hear.   Answer Question

Content Developer Interview

I was employed at Microsoft for many years. I have interviewed once as an external applicant, and at least 20 times as an internal candidate. I was also an As Appropriate interviewer (AA), in that I was trained to be the final interviewer who's interviewing specifically for Microsoft potential. I've interviewed and hired many people over the years. I hope this information helps. :)

Expect one or more standard phone screens followed by an invitation for on-site interviews. I don't know much about the phone screen process since I was a product group manager and not part of the initial recruiting. In my experience, the best way to prepare for a Microsoft interview is as follows:

1. Create a table with the elements of the job description in one column, your level of competence with that requirement in the second column, and a specific example of when you applied that skill in the third. Have one row for each requirement, each responsibility, and for any other qualities mentioned in the job description.

2. Write a two or three sentence answer to the question: Why do you want to work at Microsoft?

3. Be clear about what you have learned. Where have you failed? What did you learn from that and how did you apply that knowledge to a subsequent situation?

4. Write two to three sentences about what your unique contribution has been to each position you've held. This is referred to as your "super power." Are you the person who finds flaws in the plan? Are you the person who has big ideas? Are you the one person who's not afraid to disagree? Find your thing and lead with it.

Microsoft wants its employees to be self-critical and willing to grow. You will need those skills in order to succeed as much as you need technical or professional skills.

I've seen other posts with more details about the process, so I won't repeat them. Just be honest about yourself. You don't need to dredge up and reveal the worst things about yourself, but you should be willing to expose who you really are, where you need and want to grow, and what your unique contribution to the company or group might be.

Interview Questions
    I didn't negotiate and realize now I should have.

Attorney Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Redmond, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft.

Microsoft's in-person interview process is a series of 1:1 discussions with people of different levels within the organization that you are applying to. All aspects of the day are included in the interview process, including the semi-casual lunch that you will have. Throughout the day, people who interviewed you write comments about you into an online tool so that others interviewing you can better focus their questioning to areas of interest. In addition, interviewers also indicate whether they think you are a "hire" or "no hire". While it won't be on your interview schedule, there is an "as appropriate" interview at the end of the day, which is based on whether interviewers are suggesting that you be hired. So if you get an interview at the end of the day that's not on your schedule you should take that as a good sign, although not a guarantee of an offer.

I did not negotiate.

Program Manager Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft.

Setup through University Recruiting.

One on campus interview. Interviewer asked me what I am passionate about and asked me to design an app for it on paper.

Next Onsite. It will be 8 hours long and 5 rounds. Two junior level PMs, one engineer, and two exec level PMs.

Asked me to design systems on whiteboards and pointed out edge cases, which I had to address in the design. Last interview with the top exec and was very pleasant conversation about why I wanted to be a PM then design a product problem.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really. Even if it comes up. Stay calm and take a moment to think about it. Always think back to the user and you'll be good.   Answer Question

Software Design Engineer (SDE) Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft.

Phone screen by recruiter and then on site interview. On site interview was a set of 4 interviews. Last interview is usually with a hiring manager. I had 1 technical question in each interview. The phone screen is more behavioral. The technical questions were moderate difficulty. Make sure you are explaining your thought process.

Interview Questions
    • Question difficulty level similar to the ones in Cracking the code interview.   Answer Question
    Non negotiable.

MBA Interview

At least 4 different interviews, mostly behavioral, a few case-like questions. I did not have an "instigator" interview where someone tried to push me, but I have heard that can happen. One of my interviews was over lunch which was interesting, to try to be impressive while eating Pho at The Commons.

Interview Questions
    • To talk through a go to market strategy for a new product   Answer Question
    There is a standard offer for MBA interns, negotiating wasn't really an option

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft.

1 HR interview that included behavioural questions in addition to ligh technical questions, followed by 3 onsite interviews. 2 interview were focused on coding, and the third was purely testing.