Microsoft

Updated Jan 27, 2015
3,888 Interview Reviews

3.3

Program Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

Was interviewed for position in Mobile communications but misunderstood my background to be from mobile phone design as opposed to mobile network design. Had to recover from the situation with grace without making the interviewer look foolish

Interview Questions
    • Expected a different background and experience than mine   View Answer

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in January 2015.

It was a phone interview. The interviewer rushed me through a 30 minute interview asking a combination of technical and behavioral questions such as how to build a queue from two stacks, Boxing, encapsulation, how to build a battleships game. He also asked what the most complex question I have had to solve is and how I tackled it. I hardly had time to ask any questions at the end.

Interview Questions
    • what the most complex question I have had to solve is and how I tackled it   Answer Question

Explore Microsoft Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in January 2015.

I know whoever reading this is probably nervous about your interview, and I tell you this: don't be. The only thing that's stopping you from doing well is yourself - and I know that that's super cliched, but it's true. Don't let your nerves get in the way, you're going to do fabulous!

Some info about me: I'm a sophomore at Stanford, a woman, and a soon-to-be CS major.

I applied online by submitting my resume. After a couple weeks of waiting, I decided to contact my recruiter and ask if he needed any more materials from me. He then scheduled a phone interview about a week later. The questions asked in the phone interview were mostly behavioral - tell me about yourself, why did you get into computer science, what is your favorite software/hardware project, what would you change about it, etc.

Then, I was sent an email the next morning telling me that I was invited for final round interviews in January. I was flown up to Seattle in January for a 3-day trip, all expenses paid. I went to a mixer with the recruiters and fellow interviewees on Monday and went back to my free room in the Westin (oh my god). I was assigned to the morning round of interviews and was driven to the Microsoft campus at 8:00 AM. I had three 1-hour interviews with fifteen minute breaks between. I spent the fifteen minute breaks eating free food and playing Halo 4 on the Xbox in the wait room.

I was incredibly, incredibly nervous. I had never done a technical interview before. My first interviewer was a super cool guy and I talked to him about my interests, projects on my resume, and etc before he asked me a technical question. My second interviewer and I basically became best friends. I had to design an app, explain what data structures I would use, and code up some algorithms. We spent a lot of time just talking about life and his experiences, however. My third interviewer asked me to implement an ArrayList, which took about 10 minutes to do, before we spent the rest of the time talking and hanging out - talking about Microsoft culture, what to expect as an intern, etc.

Honestly, if you can have a conversation with your interviewers and show how much you want to work there, you will be fine. The technical questions are not hard. I came into the interviews unbelievably nervous and came out super relaxed, with the emails of my interviewers in my pocket. They were such incredible people to talk to and the recruiting team was great. 100% couldn't have asked for a better experience for my first interview/recruiting process.

I flew back to school the next day. A couple of my friends who had come to interview at Redmond received word back before I did. About a week later I received an email telling me that it had taken a little longer to get back to me because my interviewers have decided to offer me an Software Development Internship rather than an Explore Microsoft one. What a plot twist.

Tl;dr: Don't worry. You're going to be fine. Brush up on your coding skills (I used Cracking the Coding Interview), practice your behavioral questions. Let them know how much you want to work there - and enjoy your 3 day stay in Seattle. Even if you don't get the job, you're going to learn so, so much.

Interview Questions
    • 1. Describe how you would implement an ArrayList (three ways), but discuss the drawbacks/efficiency of each.
      2. Implement atoi();
      3. Design your favorite app.

Answer Question
    Unbelievable offer, no negotiations.

Design Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in January 2015.

The process started with an email from my university's recruiter, who asked if I would be interested in interviewing for an internship at Microsoft Foundry in Cambridge, Boston. I had given my resume to them at the career fair a few months before. We decided on a time for a phone screening in the next few days, which went really well as he was great and made it into a friendly conversation. He then asked me what position I'd be interested in interviewing for (I chose design).

A month or so later, I traveled to Boston for my interview. Microsoft paid for everything. The other interviewees and I gathered in a room overlooking the Charles with the two recruiters who were managing our group. Throughout the day food was provided for us in that room, including fruit and desserts. For the designers, we started with a 15-minute panel where we each (individually, in a room separated from the other designers) presented a project we had worked on to three interviewers. They were all really nice and didn't make it stressful at all.

Then I had three 45-minute interviews, with short breaks in between (depending on the timing of other interviews). The first I had was with a guy working on the Office team. We talked a bit about my resume, why I wanted to do design (as I'm a CS student), and then he asked me to design the next Microsoft Band (v2, basically). I made good use of the whiteboard, tried to get a sense of the intended user and the current Microsoft Band, and then went off thinking of features that would be useful to them.

During the next interview, I talked with the interviewer about the Foundry, talked about working in teams and what I thought of it, and finally he asked me how I would redesign a website or software I know very well. I chose reddit, and talked about making it more visual, not losing the current audience, etc. I felt with this interview even more than the others that the whole conversation was about my thought process without directly asking design questions.

The last interview, I think, went best for me because the guy was so upbeat and friendly. I got to talk about some of my experience at hackathons, some more about my resume, and he then asked me to design a microwave for kids. Same process as before; try to figure out the user (and, this time, the customer). I focused a lot on safety and how the child would actually interact with the microwave.

In all the interviews, when it came time for me to ask a few questions of my own I would always ask what that interviewer actually did in the company, and went from there. All in all, it was a very positive (though tiring) experience, and everyone was exceptionally friendly.

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Microsoft in January 2015.

Just Putting in the onsite interview questions
    I had five rounds , In all interviews i had to talk about my projects and a coding question
    Searching in a sorted array
    Reverese words in a sentence

Software Engineering(Explorer Program) Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

Got an interview through the career fair at my university. Interview was completely behavioral and they followed up within two weeks. The interviewers were both software engineers at the Seattle office and they were very willing to answer the questions that I had. Overall a great experience for my first interview as a freshman.

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft.

I applied online. Got interview appointment in 3 weeks. I did interview over phone interview. First questions on your projects, then coding questions. The phone interview lasts for 30 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • There were some basic data structure like implementing merge as in merge sort and reversing a string etc. One behavioral question on "why do you choose microsoft". Interviewers were very nice and good experience. was my very first tech interview.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineering Interview

I visited their booth at my University's career fair and then got an on-campus interview about 1 and a half months later. The on-campus interview was a short 30 minute interview where I got asked questions about linked lists: How would you determine if there is a cycle in a linked list? How would you find the head of the cycle i.e. where the cycle starts? How would you find the kth element from the end of a linked list? Then about 2 weeks later I got an invitation for interviews on-site and about 3 weeks after that I flew out to Redmond. I had 4 interviews on-site which had behavioral questions and also coding questions like: How would you test a phone (your simple 20 year old phone)? Give test cases for some functions whose implementation is not know i.e. blackbox testing. The people there were great and I really liked their campus.

Interview Questions
    • Given a linked list with three fields: a data field, a next field and a random pointer field (which is a field that points to null or to an element in the linked list) write a function to return a copy of the linked list without destructively modifying the original linked list   View Answer
    I didn't negotiate because they were offering me a lot already.

Account Executive Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft.

If you make it to the finals process; you can expect a series of interviews; typically the hiring manager will have 3-4 candidates in the loop. You can expect to have 3-4 interviews during the session. (Some could be remote via Lync conference). The goals of the interview team will be to determine if they have a "hire". Once the determination is made the team will individually stack rack the candidates and see if they can determine consensus. It is typically the hiring managers final decision, unless the GM has an active interest in the position.

No Negotiation...

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft.

I applied through university career fair in mid-September and got the first-round interview in late-October.

The interviewer asked me two questions. Both of them are not hard and I have seen both of them before. The first one is maximum subset sum and the second one is to write a program to transpose a matrix. I answered them correctly and quickly. The interviewer then asked me if I have seen similar problems before because he thought I answered them "Too quickly and correctly". I didn't want to lie to him so I told the truth that I really saw them before. He said nothing.

A few days later, I received an email saying I performed excellently in the interview but the quota of internship for my university is full. I am not sure if Microsoft is only comforting me or he really thinks highly of me. But the fact is, I was rejected.