Microsoft Interview Questions

Updated Apr 22, 2015
4,122 Interview Reviews

3.3

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Spoke to four different project managers over the course of four hours. In each interview I was asked to design something for a specific problem. I was given lunch at the halfway point between the interviews. When not with a manager I was with a large group of potential interns. We were told they would take as many as they felt performed well. There was no maximum.

Interview Questions

• Redesign a mobile site that you use.   1 Answer

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Called in for on campus interview. Had one of the most amazing experiences, the interviewer was very nice and helpful. Even took her out for lunch after where she gives very helpful tips on my resume and work environment in future.

Interview Questions

• Given a Stack with n elements, write a method that always keeps the max of the stack?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

A applied online through their website and after 2 weeks they contacted me for Skype interview. The interview was very enjoy and took about 15 minutes. This was HR interview. We talked about resume and my background. In the end of the interview, she asked me a simple quiz question about marbles.

Interview Questions

• You have 9 balls, equally big, equally heavy - except for one, which is a little heavier. You have a pair of balance scales and how you identify the heavier ball?   1 Answer

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

campus interview
    The interviewer is a senior manager in IT consultant department in bay area. He introduced the role first and start ask interview questions. most of them are behavior questions. The interview lasts about 30 minutes

Interview Questions

• what is your favorite course? who do you think is the smartest person in the world? what is the IT trend in the coming 4 or 5 years.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Did not make it to the actual on-site interview. But I had an interview on campus where they asked situation questions such as like "when was a time..." Then usually technical questions following. Interview takes about 30 minutes.

Service Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

The internship interview process is pretty simple. THere was one phone interview. I cleared it and was called to Seattle for their on site rounds. There were 4 onsite interviews. interview run through out the day, testing not only technical skills but your patience as well ..

Interview Questions

• on site interview was open ended situational questions. Scenario based questions. which situation is more serious and which will you handle first. Questions on project.   Answer Question

Senior PR Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

The company's recruiter called me three different times to schedule a telephone appointment. Three different times, she no showed the appointments she called me for! I contacted her boss about this, who apologized profusely for my candidate experience. The original HR recruiter then contacted me the same day, and we set a fourth appointment, which she actually kept. This screen lasted about 45 minutes. After that, I was interviewed by the hiring manager. However, the position was quite a bit different than the job posting described and also what was initially--and finally--described to me by the HR recruiter. It was very much an inefficient use of my time, and I suspect, the hiring manager's time. The HR recruiter contacted me the same day as my telephone interview to tell me that I did not have enough crisis communications experience (even though I handled crises and issues for an aviation organization after 9/11). After this experience, and the ineptness I encountered, I will not consider working at Microsoft.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

I went through the college recruiting process. Microsoft was among the companies that set up stations at our computer science major recruiting fair where I signed up. The first round was on campus: lasted about 40 minutes, and was easy for a computer science major. About a week later, a recruiter emailed me to tell me that I was being invited for on-site interviews in Redmond (Seattle), WA. The recruiters are extremely fast and helpful in communicating; interestingly, Microsoft's recruiting process outdoes other companies (Google, FB etc) completely in efficiency and generosity. You're flown out to Redmond and stay in a really comfy hotel with a generous spending budget.

Now, it's good to know how on-site interviews work: you begin your day early by meeting with your recruiter, who you should befriend since they are "on your side", so to speak, and their input can matter in the decision process. Then, you have consecutive technical interviews lasting about an hour each. You don't have to do perfectly in all of them, but I had a very strong feeling that the first 2 are the most important. The first one is particularly important. If you are doing well, you will get a 4th and sometimes 5th technical interview. If you're lucky, you will afterwards get a final interview with a manager of sometimes, like in my case, a really impressive big boss type person. This big boss can basically hire you on the spot, and its pretty cool that you get to meet someone like this.

Don't forget that for Microsoft, as well as other companies, several things matter for college recruiting; your interviews, first and foremost, but also your coursework, projects, grades, internship experiences, etc. Also, knowing more math than average CS majors helps.

The next day I found out that I was getting an offer, and the next business day after that my recruiter called me with the details over the phone. Microsoft really, really wants smart new grads. The company and culture has REALLY been improving the past few years, and they want smart new grads to keep that up. Offers are actually more generous than at other competing companies.

In my case, you might really like the people you meet or have a personal connection with the big boss type person at the end, in which case your offer could potentially be for the team you actually interviewed with. In this case, you have a choice whether you want to be with that team or go back in the general "hired" pool which is distributed into teams at some later point.

Interview Questions

• Thing of a simple O(n^3) algorithm for finding the longest palindrome in a string. Now a O(n^2) one. Now a O(n log n) one.   1 Answer

ACE Marketing(First Round) Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Interviewed on campus and signed up through my school's career help website. Interviewer was nice, asked fairly technical marketing questions. Came in with my resume, she took notes on her laptop while I spoke. Microsoft sent me a lot of great interview preparation materials before my interview which was great and they definitely helped out.

Interview Questions

• Why Microsoft?
      Which product would you recommend we discontinue?

Answer Question

Negotiation

did not negotiate---just invited for second round interview.

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Very good Interview, few basic algorithms and questions from strings. Got call after career fair, and had interview the next day. Was mostly a technical round. The interviewer really helped solving the questions