Microsoft

Average Difficulty
3,411 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Development Engineer

I applied online - interviewed at Microsoft in February 2010.

Interview Details – standard questions about 5 hours. The interview process is not painful and some whiteboard coding and algorithm discussions. The hiring manager is very nice and discussed a lot about the team.

Interview Question – something about image processing which i have no experience   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Program Manager

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details – Mostly tested on capability to think through. Hardly evaluate a person on specialized areas (unless that job is meant to be that way). They do ask situational questions to see whether u have the maturity to handle it. There is no right or wrong in many of these questions.

Interview Question – Data structure question on B-Trees.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no. it is a preset package when I came into Microsoft.

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

Senior Software Development Engineer
Redmond, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in June 2010.

Interview Details – It takes 2 weeks, the hiring process is standard, nothing out of ordinary. They flew me up there from bay area in sf ,ca. The questions mainly are technical question, which is pretty simple. Most of managers dont remember some of the stuff themselves. But be prepare with some of ur projects and technical terms and process.

Interviewed at Microsoft

Interview Details – This is a phone interview, and It is about 30 minutes long.
There are some technical questions and basic data structure questions.Then there is a question about the course project I have done and some extended topics.

Interview Question – I applied online and set me a 30 min on phone interview. There are two data structure questions and some other questions about course projects I have done.   View Answer

Very Difficult Interview

Senior Business Development Manager Interview

Senior Business Development Manager

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Microsoft in February 2010.

Interview Details – HR will contact you via a phone. You can arrange the best time for the inteview. You will have the first interview with HR to go over Microsoft Culture and working ethics. And then you will be interviewed by very technical person for tech questions and keep moving the next stage as long as you answer them correctly.

Interview Question – What are your actions when the vendor you're dealing with has a long relationship with a leadership team?what are the top 3 things to consider to develop business globally?   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer In Test Interview

Software Development Engineer In Test

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details – Campus Interview. 30 mins
MSFT also hosted interview prep session on campus before interviewing candidates, take advantage of it.
Behavioral question: describe the most difficult task you have overcome, or most annoying bug you resolved in projects.

Interview Question – Technical Question : Remove duplicate entries from a single link list   Answer Question

Explorer Interview

Explorer
Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft in November 2013.

Interview Details – I had a really positive interview experience. I gave my resume to the recruiter at our school's tech fair. I was called for a follow-up basic behavioral interview. Two months later, I was flown to Seattle to interview with a lot of other Explorer potential candidates. They treat you really nice (think king-size hotel room), taxi vouchers, limos to the interview site, and big food stipends)

I had 3 interviews: 1 PM, 1 Dev, 1 Test. Got my results in a couple days!

Interview Question – How would you redesign the file system?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much to negotiate. They had a very good offer (salary, stipends, benefits, etc).

Software Development Engineer

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details – I applied from college and set me a 30 min on campus interview. It is a one to one person interview. Asked me to talk a database project. He gave me a pen and some scratch papers to tell the detail and asked me some basic SQL questions.

Interview Question – Just some basic questions nothing expected   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer (SDE) Interview

Software Development Engineer (SDE)
Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in May 2014.

Interview Details – Contacted by recruiter through school. Had a simple HR screening interview before onsite. Onsite had 4 interviews, questions were mostly algorithmic.
Interview questions:
1. Given an unsorted array of numbers from 1-n with a number missing, find the missing number.
2. Given a dictionary and a function that returns if a work is in the dictionary, create a function that takes a non-space delimited string and outputs the same string with words separated by spaces.
3. I forget the 3rd one.
4. Given a matrix of 1s and 0s, replace every value in a column or row with 0 if 0 is in it.

Interview Question – Given a dictionary and a function that returns if a work is in the dictionary, create a function that takes a non-space delimited string and outputs the same string with words separated by spaces.   View Answer

Technical Writer Interview

Technical Writer
Redmond, WA

I applied online and interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details – After a 30 minute phone interview, I was asked to come in for an 8-hour interview in Redmond. I was interviewed by 6 people on the team and even interviewed during lunch. I found out later on that they were really looking for a programmer/writer so that they could get away with paying a dev the pay of a tech writer.

Interview Question – The most difficult was when a programmer came in to interview me and asked me to read code on the board. I am a technical writer, so I didn't read code.   Answer Question