Microsoft

3,174 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer Interview

Interviewed at Microsoft

Interview Details – applied online, and had an on-campus interview.
Interview was about 40 minutes talking about my background and
asked 1 question and related sub-questions.

Engagement Manager Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details – The whole process was handled in a very professional manner. The recruiter had initial phone screening, and then setup in-person interviews (1 whole day). He also prepped m on what to expect during the day of the interview. The interviews were 1:1 discussions, and interviewers where very open in discussions. Most of the questions were expected. I believe there were 5 or 6 candidates interviewed on the same day for that position.

Interview Question – Give me an example of a challenging situation with a client, and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer In Test Intern Interview

Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Microsoft in December 2013.

Interview Details – One on-campus interview, then one on-site all-day interview (Redmond in my case).

Interview Question – Test a bicycle.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Intern Microsoft Interview

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in January 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online, they contacted me and set up a phone interview. after that they flew me to Seattle for a day of 4 back to back interviews.

Interview Question – Every question was about trees. Know your trees!!!   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer - Contract Interview

Redmond, WA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details – 4 rounds of interview for .net developer with algorithms and .net architecture questions.

Interview Question – LinkedList with c# coding.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer (SDE) II Interview

Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details – I almost missed out because they typed my email wrong and they'd been trying to contact me for weeks. I had an on campus interview with some relatively straightforward questions. I was invited to visit on their campus. They had a nice set up with reimbursements etc, but they booked me the worst flight imaginable (I had to sleep on a bench at O'Hare). The interview went okay. I had one interview that was good and I answered questions correctly except for a brain teaser type question that I couldn't get more than a basic answer for. Another interviewer and I had a lot of trouble communicating. He saw I put Java on my resume (which I shouldn't have given how rusty I was) and kept posing his questions in Java despite my request for C/C++. The final interview had a bit manipulation/algorithms question. The interviewer said I had the most concise and efficient answer he'd seen. I also had a nice, long conversation with this guy about the company and how it's grown and other things. He, more than anything else made me want to work there.

Internship Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview

Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details – Met at job fair, had about a one hour in-person interview on my campus soon after where I wask asked about my resume and background and a few simple coding tasks concerning strings. This man was very charismatic and happy to be working at Microsoft, he was quite different from the interviewers I met in Seattle, but he did his job well and made me excited to work there.

Was later contacted for an on-site interview in Seattle. Was flown in for an overnight stay and went through 4 interviews the next day.

The first one was easy, a few operations on linked lists, although the interviewer did not seem excited or happy to be doing the interview, seemed like he just drew a short straw.

The second was worse, the interviewer seemed to have a large ego and felt the need to correct everything I said (including things like why I like programming and what my favorite project was), I just attempted to remain polite. He asked me about finding the largest consecutive sum in an array. Although I managed to put something together, I do not feel it was what he was looking for and he showed me his solution which I questioned and never got a satisfactory answer for (I was afraid to push him further because we were short on time and he seemed very firm in his ideas and I was far too nervous and tired). I don't feel he fully understood the question he asked me himself and that he just chose it from a list.

The next interviewer I had lunch with, then a few more questions such as iterative and recursive fibonacci, approaching new code, etc. He also had a piece of paper and seemed to be choosing questions from a list. He was young and personable although he seemed very tired and beaten down.

My final interview seemed to be with a higher-up manager, he was older and seemed to have more influence over Windows 8 features (he was able to point to some of the decisions he had made on the tablet interface). He was very laid back and didn't really ask anything specific. Rather, he simply asked what I liked, then discussed it, asked for some code examples. He seemed very experienced in giving interviews and somewhat jaded about it, but nothing too difficult.

Interview Question – Most unexpected was the last interview of the day. It seemed as though my interviewer had no plan at all for what to ask and just let questions develop so they took me off guard.   Answer Question

Software Development Intern Interview

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details – Did not make it past the first round of phone interviews

Interview Question – The questions were really logic based and out of the ordinary. They really just want to see how you think.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Software Development Engineer (SDE) Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a recruiter via mass email which stated there was a hiring event for the Cloud OS team. The email directed me to send a reply email with my most current resume and fill out a survey which asked general questions about my education, goals, and professional (coding/project) experience.

The same recruiter called me back within two days and we chatted briefly about my career goals. After a 30 minute (non-technical) chat the recruiter invited me to take the OTS which would be a basic skills assessment on elementary concepts such as trees, linked lists, queues, etc. "some things I may not have seen in a while."

I'm not through with the process but I wanted to get this question up before I forgot it as there were not a lot of example questions online re: the OTS. I hope it helps someone else!

Interview Questions

• You are writing a simulation for a print server. This print server can accept jobs from 3 places - network, USB, or operator. It can dispatch only one job at a time. Each input job should contain an integer t which is the time in seconds it will take to process the job. Write a multi-threaded program to simulate the server and provide some simulated load with jobs. Think, of some interesting statistics your program should emit and code them in.   Answer Question
  • Write a function that takes a string as an input and outputs an integer, e.g. turning "1234" into 1234.   View Answers (3)

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details – Submitted my resume through my school's career center. Contacted a couple weeks later to schedule a phone interview. Couldn't understand the interviewer. Was notified via email a few weeks later that I was not selected for the final round in Seattle.

Interview Question – Tell me about a challenging project you have completed   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Microsoft