Microsoft Interview Questions

Updated Apr 22, 2015
4,122 Interview Reviews

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in February 2015.

Interview

Sent in application for SDE, SDET, and IT positions in October. Near the end of January a recruiter called me to schedule a phone interview. 30 minute phone interview with an Engineer from the team I interviewed with asked basic questions:
    - How do you troubleshoot your home network?
    - How would you describe virtualization to your grandmother?
    - Questions about projects on my resume

The next week I was selected for an on-site. All expense paid trip to Redmond. Flew me in, stayed 3 days 2 nights in a sweet hotel, rental car, fancy meals, the works.

The on site interview was with 4 engineers from the same team. 45 minute interviews with each one. Most of them were simple conversations. If you make it to this round it's basically a culture fit. They didn't ask a single code question and none of those stupid "How many golf balls fit in a school bus" type questions. The whole team was really good. Less than a week later the recruiter contacted me with an offer. They're looking for people that love what they do and love to learn and grow on their own. It's the whole culture they support up there.

Interview Questions

• Design a service to automate the interaction between locked and encrypted Nokia Phones and Microsoft.   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

pretty starightforward, mostly fit questions and then some questions about your favorite tech products and why. the person was very nice and tried to put you at ease. I didn't get any brainteasers which was great.

Interview Questions

• what do you think is a tech product that is marketed particularly well and why?   1 Answer

Interview

The interviewer was very nice and I was asked a simple problem about tree traversals. Unfortunately, my mind went blank so I didn't get to the answer straight away. Ended up figuring out the principles for the solution, but didn't have enough time to code the solution.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Terrible, seemed like she did not want to be there. The questions were hard for saying no experience needed and she was not very engaging. Overall after the interview the culture of the company was not a fit for me. Great company just not for me.

Service Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

Was contacted by a recruiter, did a phone screen, then in person 5 round interview. If you make it past the first 2, you are pretty much hired. The tech questions were open and they kept grilling you on your design until you break. Everything from decision making to architecture design. What I liked is that they didn't grill you on pointless name these services, ports, etc but how you think and troubleshoot.

Interview Questions

• build a multi tenant sql server architecture
      build a HA 3 tier web application where no downtime is allowed

1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Skype interview.
    4 onsite interviews in Seattle. (Binary trees & linked list questions)
    Seriously - solve all of the problems you can find without the solutions.
    Stayed at the Marriott Hotel two nights. Flights and all taken care of.
    Recruiter was incredibly nice and supportive throughout the process.

Interview Questions

• Find a loop in a linked list and fix it.
      Set all nodes at the same depth to have a field "next" pointing to the next in the children.. (BT)

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

it was easy. Had two rounds of interviews and the questions were pretty simple. Was asked many resume related questions. I applied in the career fair of our campus and got a call within a week to attend an interview on campus. It was a 30 minute interview with questions on my resume. Later for the second round of interview i was asked to come to Seattle. Had three 45 minute interviews covering various topics like trees, hash maps, design problems, palindromes etc. Be confident and you are good to go.

Interview Questions

• Find the prime numbers in a given range?
      Find the anagram meanings of a given string from a dictionary

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in February 2015.

Interview

First round was on campus university. Then they flew me to MS for the second round at Microsoft's headquaters in Redmond. I had 4 interviews on that day of 45 minutes each. I had 15 minutes break between each of them. 3 technicals and one behavioural only. My trip to Redmond lasted 3 days including fly days.

Interview Questions

• 1. Given a sorted matrix, find an element if it exists.
      2. Given an array of integers with positives and negatives values. sort it in a way where all negative values are on the left side by keeping the relative order. Do it in place.
      3. Given an array of a stock value for each day, give an algorithm to find the maximum profit possible between a buy-day and a sale-day.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Applied at a career fair and received an on-campus interview around two or three weeks later. It was a 30 minute interview with half of it explaining your resume and projects. The other half was more technical questions.

Interview Questions

• Given two sorted lists, you had to find a solution that would merge the two in O(n) time.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Submitted resume on school website, got an on-campus interview after two weeks. The interview lasted half an hour. Interviewer asked some behavioral and technical questions, also asked about general background, if you have taken hard-core programming courses, etc.

Interview Questions

• Fixed-size array queue, what if you are running out of time to complete a project.   Answer Question