Microsoft Interview Questions

Updated Mar 26, 2015
4,075 Interview Reviews

3.3

PFE, SQL Server Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Microsoft.

The telephone interview was abrupt, intense, dissmissive and condescending. it was almost as though they wanted to discourage you from working there. The interview was done via the telephone by two Microsoft employees. To end the interview, one of them said, well "I am done with this", and asked his partner if he had any other questions. After which he hung up the phone,

Director, Licensing & Business Development Interview

I was contacted by an independent recruiter. After a conversation with him, I had a telaphone interview. I was not called in for further interviews. I was impressed with the person however and he would have been the person I reported to.

Software Design Engineer (SDE) Interview

The interview process consisted of a phone interview and a trip to Seattle for 4 FTF interviews.
    I was referred by a current intern and automatically was given a phone interview.
    The phone interview was scheduled for 45 minutes but it lasted for about an hour.
    The first 15-20 minutes consisted of behavioral questions such as Why Microsoft? and Tell me about a recent project?
    The next 20 minutes was spent discussing differences between different data structures, the order notation of different methods, and various questions about computer science topics. (Complexity of insertion into BST, array vs vector, what is a critical section?)
    The last 20 minutes I was given a coding problem to do on collabedit.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

I was interviewed by an hiring representative on the Phone. Mostly questions about my projects and internship experience. There were plenty of behavioral questions and no technical questions. I talked about my internship projects and how it felt to be working in that situation and what I would change about the process if I could change anything.

There were a few questions about my classes and how I related to them. Mostly about my Data Structures and Algorithms class and how much of it I could relate to. Unfortunately its a class that I really disliked and could not say many good things about.

Interview Questions
    • What I would do differently with my internship project.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in February 2015.

It was an on-campus interview, i went in to the building and waited to be called in. My interviewer was not a native English speaker which made it hard to communicate with him. He asked me a short personal question and asked what computer programming classes I have taken so far. Then he moved on to a technical question which was sort an Array. He did not give me much guidance and said to just write it down on paper and then show it to him.

Intern Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

Referred by a friend. Then received an phone interview invitation from an engineer. The interview was fine. Coding problems like two-sum, possible paths from top-left corner to bottom-right corner, etc. Some basic machine learning questions.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI
    Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in February 2015.

On-compus interview, ask me to introduce myself. Then ask three technical problem. First is find duplicates in a string. Second is find maximum continue sum in a array of integers. Third is find duplicates in a single linked list

Engineering Service Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in February 2015.

I applied online after 1 month I got mail from hr for the phone interview the phone interview was easy. After 3 weeks I got call from hr for an onsite interview at Seattle. Now everything set to go there just waiting to finish the rest of the rounds.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly what every is there in the resume and he asked how can you search a file in the windows file system using programming language, what if the file is protected?? Now waiting for the onsite interview.   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in February 2015.

I received an email requesting that I answer a few basic math and probability questions. It was 25 minutes timed-- pretty straight forward, nothing too difficult. A week and a half later, I had a phone call with a Project Manager in CA. 30 minutes long- 3 questions. The first and second were situational, the third was a basic probability question.

Interview Questions
    • There are 6 marbles in a bag - 1 is white. You reach in the bag 100 times. After drawing a marble, it is placed back in the bag. What is the probability of drawing the white marble at least once?   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT
    Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in February 2015.

I had three one hour long interviews which essentially were 5-10 minutes of talking about Microsoft or my Resume/ Projects and then 40-45 minutes working through coding questions. Felt like I answered the questions well and that the interviewers were satisfied with my answers.

I found out the following business day I did not get the job offer and that "unfortunately, it is not our standard practice to share specific feedback."

Interview Questions
    • Reverse a string
      Convert INT to roman numerals
      Solve arithmetic of a string '2 + 3 * 6'

Answer Question