Microsoft

Updated Dec 15, 2014
3,777 Interview Reviews

3.3

Program Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Microsoft.

I got a referral and had an on-campus interview. The interviewer was very nice and surprisingly didn't ask anything about my resume.. He asked me to design an interactive interface inside a taxi. So we discussed different scenarios. It was fun.

Human Resources Summer Interview

On campus interview; all behavioral questions; two rounds of interview: first round was on campus with two sessions, 30 mins for each session; second round was onsite visit consisting of 4 interviews

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation when you dealt with an incompetent manager.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

I applied online, and heard back in about a week. The first email was setting up an initial, behavioral phone interview and filling out some paperwork on what position I was interested in, along with what level of programming I wanted to do (i.e. Low Level, Application, Front End). Phone interview was within 2 weeks of that email. They asked non-technical questions to get an understand of how you think. Did not get any follow up interviews.

Director Marketing Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

The process starts with "informational" interviews where you are vetted, either by HR or the hiring manager. If you are chosen as a finalist you will go through an "interview loop" with a half dozen or so people. If the hiring manager is on top of it, he/she will have a strategy where each of the interviewers is asked to explore (aka: drill down) on a particular area of expertise, as well as a specific core value. (This is the company core values, such as integrity, transparency, etc..) They will ask for examples of how you've dealt with different situations, including examples of things that did not go well and how you responded. They will ask about strengths and weaknesses. They are usually prepared and in the majority of cases are friendly (and many are as nervous as you are). It's more important to demonstrate how you think than what you actually did. Do your homework and be prepared. After each interview, the interviewer is supposed to post their "hire" or "no hire" recommendation for the rest of the upcoming interviewers, with comments to explain your rating, as well as instructions for the next interviewer, e.g. "drill down on the candidate's experience with people development and collaboration skills". People are inconsistent in this process and so you won't know if the next interviewer did or did not see comments from the prior interview. Assume they did and if there's something you want to clarify that you thought didn't go well, do it. E.g. "I would like to clarify my comments to the prior interviewer regarding my experience with ABC. In addition to 1, and 2, I also did 3 and 4 which may have more relevance to this role." There is always the "as appropriate" interview which generally is the GM or VP (depending on the level you're interviewing for) whose valuable time isn't given to candidates that are not likely to make the cut. If you get the "as appropriate" interview, you're doing well!

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected: "When you look at your core circle of friends, are they from school, work, organizations, or other activity?" I'm really not sure if they were allowed to ask this, but I was certainly not prepared for such a question.   Answer Question
    You can negotiate within parameters. There will be a salary range and you can explore the top level. Signing bonuses are available, ask for it. Remember to negotiate vacation for senior level positions. Discuss what "level" the position is and cover the criteria for the next level to see if you're actually there and could be bumped a level at the outset, or add a clause to get an interim level-bump after six months (if the annual review period is further away).

Software Engineer II Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Microsoft.

Someone at Microsoft referred me. They emailed me to set up a date and time for a phone interview. I thought it was going to be purely behavioral, turns it out was also going to be technical. My interviewer was Indian. Had a thick accent so it was hard to understand her sometimes. Had to ask her to repeat several times.

Interview Questions
    • differences between linked and doubly linked list? remove duplicates from array?   View Answer

Intern Interview

Contacted after I sent in a resume. Process was very quick (just couple days). Interview occurred about a week after initial email to set up the interview. At conclusion of our interview, they said a more technical interview should follow.

Interview Questions
    • Largest project I've worked on, designing tech for children, and my process to solve a problem   View Answer

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

Got selected for an interview with Microsoft through a career fair in college. The interview was held in my college's campus and it lasted for 30 mins. It was A technical round. No behavioral questions asked. I was asked about my previous job experience only. No other behavioral questions asked. The interviewer was pretty cool and was helpful. While solving the problem, when I was stuck, the interviewer gave me certain hints and clues to get to the solution. It was more like a discussion.

Interview Questions
    • For a given anagram find the longest palindrome in it.   View Answer

Photo Editor Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

I did my interview over the phone, I submitted a test, editorial test, and three interviews. It was very down to earth and pleasant. I felt valued all throughout the process.

Interview Questions
    • Why did you chose the photos you chose from the test when everyone else chose differently?   View Answer
    Honestly, I was offered more than I was expecting, so there really wasn't a negotiation!

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft in November 2014.

I went to an informational session and received an email from a recruiter about a week later. I scheduled an on-campus interview which was a one-on-one with someone at the Seattle office. I was told I would hear back a couple weeks later from the recruiter.

Interview Questions
    • Reverse the letters of words in a sentence. Then, reverse the sentence.   View Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in November 2014.

I applied at my college's career fair and got an email a week later letting me know that I could schedule my interview the following Tuesday. The interviewer was extremely nice and just asked me about my past experiences then asked me what I was surprised was a very easy coding question that I answered quickly in python. It has been two days and I am now waiting for a reply.

Interview Questions
    • Imagine you have a string and you want to return False if there are repeat characters in this string, what are the fastest and most space efficient ways to do this. (I clarified and he only wanted to return False if there was a repeat letter or number)   View Answers (2)