Microsoft Interview Questions

Updated Mar 28, 2015
4,076 Interview Reviews

3.3

Hardware Engineering Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in February 2015.

One round of phone interview, conducted by an Engineer in technical division. No process of background checking with HR. Just go through my resume and asked related technique questions. Followed by a few behavior questions.

Interview Questions
    • Do you wanna get a further experience which closely related to your academic background or be flexible to do something maybe not that related.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI
    Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in February 2015.

I spoke with a Microsoft recruiter at a campus recruiting event. I was then given an on-site interview the next week. The interviewer spent the majority of the time asking in-depth questions about my resume, asking me to expand upon many bullet points. He then gave me a quick technical question. Afterwards, the interviewer gave me time to ask some questions.

Interview Questions
    • Given a set of employee records, containing an id #, age, and immediate supervisor's id #, find all employees who have a supervisor in their hierarchy of k supervisors who is younger than them.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in February 2015.

I was contacted by a recruiter via email after a university career fair. We set up an appointment time and met for an on campus interview. I only had a bit more than a week to prepare and it was in the middle of midterm season, so be careful of possible timing constraints.

My interviewer was very friendly and helpful and gave me advice when I got stuck.

Interview Questions
    • Implement a stack (don't have to code from scratch) that has a getMax function.   Answer Question
    • What was your favorite project?   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft in February 2015.

I was asked for a telephonic interview first. Interviewer didn't ask anything. Just discussed about my projects and achievements with me. Than he switched to some behavioral questions. No technical questions asked. He seemed to be very optimistic and positive during the interview, but somehow I got rejection later on.

Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT
    Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in February 2015.

I had three one hour long interviews which essentially were 5-10 minutes of talking about Microsoft or my Resume/ Projects and then 40-45 minutes working through coding questions. Felt like I answered the questions well and that the interviewers were satisfied with my answers.

I found out the following business day I did not get the job offer and that "unfortunately, it is not our standard practice to share specific feedback."

Interview Questions
    • Reverse a string
      Convert INT to roman numerals
      Solve arithmetic of a string '2 + 3 * 6'

Answer Question

Software Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

This was a "hiring event" where 10 people were flown in together, met the coordinators as a group, then were each given their own room. Each candidate was interviewed by 4 Microsoft people, for 45 minutes each interview. There was a 15 minute break between interviews. Interviews were a combination of questions about your background/resume and a technical question involving coding and problem solving. At the end there was 5 minutes to ask about the job, but not a lot of detail given.

Interview Questions
    • Solve the readers/writers problem. Do it without semaphores. Back up 3 large tables where records in one table reference records in the other two, while adds, deletes and updates are going on. No SQL DB, no referential integrity, no locking.   Answer Question

Executive Producer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in February 2015.

I was contacted by Aditi (a Microsoft recruiter) about the position and submitted my resume through them. Was scheduled for a phone interview (screen) which was rescheduled last-minute as an in-person. Another candidate was waiting in the lobby with me, and we were escorted in together - which was awkward. Halfway through my interview, the hiring manager said he wanted to send me through the full interview loop.

I came back the next week for back-to-back interviews with the director of management and the project lead. Basically, my first and third interviews went great, but the second was what lost me the job. I was told by Aditi that they had passed in favor of a better candidate. However, I'm aware that MSR has (for now) decided to stop interviewing for the position altogether. I'm also aware that I came off as 'flippant' to interviewer #2. That was a surprise, and though it may be irrelevant, I've only ever heard women referred to as flippant.

Interview Questions
    • What's an example of a project you've led that you are particularly proud of?   Answer Question
    • What's your biggest concern or worry about this position?   Answer Question
    • What resources do you use to stay current with industry trends?   Answer Question
    • How would you develop content srrategy and build a strong content team?   Answer Question
    • Why are you leaving your current job?   Answer Question
    • What kind of culture are you seeking in a work environment?   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft.

The process started at my university career fair where I gave out a resume. They gave me a t-shirt

They got in touch a week later to schedule an on-campus interview at the university career services building. The interviewer asked one general thinking question (not coding) and one coding question. They also asked about my resume and research.

Three or four weeks later I was contacted by an interview scheduler to setup an interview in Redmond. Due to the holiday season, I wasn't able to schedule the interview until a month later in January. The scheduler was not my recruiter and just was setting up the travel and timing. They flew me up and back and put me up in a hotel for 2 nights / 3 days.

On their campus I first met with my recruiter in their recruiting building number 111. They informed me of which team I was interviewing with and stated that I should expect 4-5 hour long interviews (with one extended to 90 minutes to include lunch). In the recruiting building, while waiting to meet with a recruiter, you can play Xbox games, try out Windows Mobile products, and speak with a concierge who can help with sightseeing in Seattle or nightlight or transportation.

The interviews were each with someone from a different sub-team inside the group I interviewed with. Each person had me do a coding question, and some also asked algorithmic or conceptual questions (which didn't require explicit coding). Everything was on the whiteboard. I had 5 total interviews, and had time in 4 of them to ask questions of the interviewer about their team.

After the interviews I met with the recruiter again, and explained that I had immediate deadlines. They agreed to get in contact with the team and get back to me while I hung out in the lobby and relaxed. They came back and informed me that the team was very interested and would be making an offer.

The offer arrived the next day, with fairly standard compensation and bonus/stock. I ended up declining the offer.

Interview Questions
    • Describe how you would count the words in this newspaper [pointed to a physical newspaper]?   Answer Question
    • How would you search a database for a matching string ignoring certain punctuation/special characters? What pre-processing would you do?   Answer Question
    • Determine the best move for a player in a probabilistic game, with given probabilities for each outcome of each player's move.   Answer Question

Compensation was fairly standard, lower than the Bay Area, but normal when factoring in cost-of-living differences. I decided to go with a different company/team.

Intern Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Microsoft.

I applied the internship on their website. got a phone call to schedule a phone interview and fill out an application form. Few weeks later, I was told that I was rejected

Interview Questions
    • Please talk about an imperfection of other software and how do you improve it.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

Talked and submit the resume in campus recruit event, got interview invitation after few days.
    one on one on campus interview, ask about few questions of C# and one code problem, didn't answer well, got decline after the interview.

Interview Questions
    • 1. What's the difference between IEnumerable and IList.
      2. Interpret a string with different brackets and numbers and valid the string.

Answer Question