Microsoft Interview Questions

4,290 Interview Reviews

3.2

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in March 2015.

Interview

There were two stages: rounds 1 and 2. The first round is done on the university campus, where they get to know you and assess your skills. I applied after a coding competition held on campus. This interview involved one technical question and some questions about my history. The interviewer simply wanted me to gush about who I am and what I'm proud of.

Round 2 was a very different experience. This round they bring you to the Redmond campus for a set of interviews, I was flown out from Ottawa. There will be 3-5 interviews, depending on constraints. The interviewers all ask at least 1 technical question, and generally these questions cover your entire skillset. It's difficult if you're nervous, but if you go in with a good mood and no expectations you can get through fine.

Interview Questions

• Design a function that takes in 2 strings representing numbers and adds them together as if they are numbers, and outputs the result as a string. You cannot assume the number is any containable size (i.e. the value represented could be larger than long long long long etc.).   1 Answer
    • Reverse a linked list   Answer Question
    • Encode/decode two strings into one string, and back to two   Answer Question
    • Design a notification system to be used by clients to deliver content to customers.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

One one one interview. Interviewer was super-friendly. It was more like having a casual conversation with one of the industry's best guys. He told me a lot about the industry culture and life at Microsoft. Microsoft interviews can be a great learning experience and can motivate you further.

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in March 2015.

Interview

The interview questions and structures were pretty standard when compared to other companies that I also interviewed with, such as Apple, Facebook, Google, Walmartlabs, etc.. It included a screener, phone interviews and onsite interview. Interestingly though, Microsoft's screener was an online test of basic math and probability. In terms of the logistic of the process, I got a little confused for having to deal with multiple recruiters within Microsoft. However, they were all friendly, prompt and reasonably helpful.

Questions asked include my education and research background, statistics, basic probability, machine learning and coding. Interviewers came from different background and are experts at what they do, so be prepared for questions that require some well thought out answers.

Microsoft is pretty generous for their onsite interview, so you will have a good time (not the best though, Adobe offered $100 daily meal reimbursement =p ).

Overall, the experience was great. It was quite different than the impression of a middle age corporation that I had in mind before I went to the interview. Employees there are young and enthusiastic in their work, at least for the team I interviewed for. Management also seems to be ambitious in what they want to achieve (in a positive way).

Interview Questions

• I am not allowed to disclose their questions, here is a short one that has the similar flavor to what I had: How do you solve the L2-regularized regression problem? (and many follow up questions)   1 Answer

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

There was career fair in the school and I was attending there. In MS booth, I found the appropriate position and drop my resume. Several days later, I got the email to assign the phone screening interview. I got several questions about OOP concept and sort algorithms. And then I got the email from MS and they said they want to invite me for the on site interview in Seattle. there are 3 interviewer for on site interview.

Interview Questions

• 1st interviewer asked about the Data structure question like Linked list and queue and binary tree. and he request to code queue and circular queue. and 2nd interviewer ask me Least Recently Used (LRU) Cache questions. And I did not know about it so he explained me how it works and he ask coding. 3rd interviewer asked me about the function pointer in C/C++ and how Java language can work like function pointer in C/C++. Does Java capable to pass the parameter using "call by reference" or "call by value"? How Java can pass the address of object?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Submitted my resume at University event and got called into the first round of on-campus interviews. Sat in a small room with an engineer and asked me some behavioral questions -- like the most interesting things I've done in class or any interesting problems I've solved on projects. Then moved onto the technical questions with me coding on notebook in front of him at the table.

Interview Questions

• Simple string manipulation questions. Then about how I would test it.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in March 2015.

Interview

Got the first round of interview through campus recruiting. Heard from them less than a week telling me that I was selected to an on-site. 3 weeks later, an interview scheduler contacted me and settled me with a detailed schedule quickly. During the final interview, I stayed on the main campus a whole day (from 10am to 4pm) interviewing with 4 different people from the team. All of them were nice and challenged my solution in a good way. The recruiter was also very nice. He gave me the offer on next day's morning and explained in so much detail about the compensation, which made me really excited. I accepted the offer right away.

Interview Questions

• What was the most interesting/challenging bug that you fixed? Describe the process.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

The interviewer spent 70% of the time going over my resume and asking me behavioral questions, which didn't really leave that much time for the technical question. While answering the technical question the interviewer was completely silent the entire time and didn't really offer much detail when I asked for clarification.

Interview Questions

• Given an array of numbers how would you determine all the numbers that repeated more than once?   1 Answer

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

It was really interesting interview process. There were 5 conversations in 1x1 format plus 1 extra, so 6 total. Mostly we talked about my experience and around it. Each interviewer asked certain area of my experience in deep details. So you have to refresh you memory.

Interview Questions

• Reverse string.
      Implement ntoa.
      Get number of ones in a M bit variable.
      Design and implement message passing for multiprocessor system (were given some specific hardware restrictions)
      Design and implement malloc/free for some specific requirements.
      Design embedded RTOS and implement scheduler, task switching and interrupt handler.

Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

The recruiter contacted me on LinkedIn and scheduled to set up an interview at a later date. The interview was telephonic with the recruiter which lasted half an hour. They asked everything that was on my resume and some behavioral questions as well. The interview was rushed through and was completed within 30 mins.

Interview Questions

• What would you go back and change about your project?
      What is your biggest accomplishment till date?
      What is the difference between between C++ and Python?
      9 Balls Puzzle.

1 Answer

Senior Marketing Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Unfocused and disjointed. Interviewers did not show up or were late. Conversation ranged from industry trends to complaining about their roles. Interviews happen at different buildings on campus which is nice as you see more of the organization. Same questions were asked repeatedly. Was left with feeling that group did not really know what role would produce. People were genuinely nice. Know your business and relate it to Microsoft's as much as possible.

Phone call from recruiter led to phone call from hiring manager led to one day interview loop on campus, but since people did not show up, there were several follow-up calls.

Interview Questions

• What do you think Microsoft should do to better compete in the marketplace?   Answer Question