Microsoft Interview Questions in London, England

Updated Feb 13, 2015

3.3

Talent Sourcer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Microsoft in February 2015.

I only completed the first stage of the process - a telephone interview, which I felt went well, however I was informed 3 days later that I did not have as strong enough experience as other candidates. The person who interviewed me was lovely, and she gave me a thorough and in depth description of the role and her vision for the team. I would still love to work for this company and will continue to apply for suitable roles in the future.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Microsoft in October 2014.

Attended an event at my university, handed in my CV and 2 days later I received an email inviting me to an interview.

Interview was mainly technical. In the first 15 minutes I discussed a project I had done, then I had a 30 minute technical question and the last 15 minutes were behavioural (Why Microsoft, why SDE, etc.).

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft.

I had a one on one interview with two people from Microsoft. The first part was technical, the interviewer asked me to code a function which would reverse the order of words in a string, and then I had to optimize the solution and consider edge cases, etc... The second interviewer asked me about my projects, my studies, etc...

Interview Questions
    • Give me a program and what you would do to make it better?   Answer Question

Student Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in April 2014.

I applied for the MACH UK Student Internships program, on the Game Production, Art, Design & User Research track. I first applied in January 2014 through the online application. This involves you filling in your educational background, three short essay questions, and a CV submission. This stage focuses on why you are a good hire for Microsoft, and what you have done to stand out from your peers as a student.

After this I was invited to complete a pre-recorded video interview. The format for this is short interview questions from the hiring team, which you then record your answers to. There are eight questions in total. These cover a range of topics about Microsoft, business sense, leadership and teamwork. Around half of the questions will be related to your chosen track (for me they were about game design, artistic achievements and user experience design.)

Next was the live Skype interview. This covered many of the same topics as the previous two steps. It took about 25 minutes, and there was the chance to ask questions and find out more about the internships and the timelines for the application. As I was applying for the 'art' sub-track I was asked to submit a portfolio after this interview.

Finally I had my in-person interview in April 2014. This took place in London at the studio, with two of the current employees. We went though my application, and I was then asked to talk about my career path to this point, my work and my motivations. This interview was an hour long, and was very informal. I received my offer a week after the interview.

One thing to note is that the Skype interviewer, for example, will not have seen your pre-recorded interviews and may only have read your CV. So make sure your CV is good and don't worry about repeating yourself if the same question comes up in two different stages!

Interview Questions
    • What has been your greatest artistic achievement to date?   View Answer
    There was not much negotiation, as this is an internship position.

Student Intern - Technical Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in March 2014.

Online Numerical test: Not difficult, but I did lots of tests from assessmentday.co.uk beforehand.

Video Interview: pre-recorded questions. The questions were quite unusual, many people fail at this stage. I was expecting to fail as well, but I guess I wasn't as bad as thought. Make sure you know about cloud, windows features, etc. Competency questions about when you helped others, how you discover issues, how you'd prepare if you had to change jobs in less than 3 days, when you analysed data to discover an issue. To prepare, make sure you have lots of examples prepared of any skill they could throw at you.

Skype interview: Typical competency questions (where do you see yourself in 5 years, etc), test knowledge of Microsoft products, your passion for working at Microsoft (Why Microsoft? why this internship?). The purpose of the interview is to work out what you are passionate about, and based on that they will try to assign you to a role suitable for you. For example, I mentioned that I was quite passionate about the program manager role, and the guys for HR really helped me get it. It's very important to know what you would like to do in your role, and what products you would like to work on and communicate that during the interview, but try to be flexible at the same time.

Technical Phone Interview: Not difficult, but make sure you know about Agile (know about user stories, user features, etc.), User-Centered Design (know about Scenarios, Personas, thinks you'd learn in HCI modules), they asked me about a piece of technology I am passionate about and how I'd improve it. Also, some brain teasers such as convert 20 to hex (I actually messed up that question, but they were fine with it, most important try to explain how you'd go about solving it), how many numbers can be represented in 4 bits. They also had a number of role specific questions, to test your understanding of the role. For every question be prepared for follow-up questions.

Assessment Centre: 2 parts, competency and technical. The competency interview will include the exact same questions from the video interview, only more. The technical interview will test your basic programming skills (code to reverse a string, palindromes etc.). Its quite easy, but I suggest doing some mock white-board interviews with a friend, rehearse debugging on the white-board, explaining your code before you write it, etc. To prepare, checkout first exercises from careercup book. For PM role, good communication skills while you write the code are very important. For program managers, the technical interview also includes a creativity exercise (e.g. design a remote, design an alarm clock for blind), make sure you ask questions to identify requirements, prioritise requirements. At the end you they will ask you if you think your design is good, and this is where I could have done better - I wasn't very confident in my design.

Telephone Interview with your prospective manager (optional): If you have the assessment centre with a different team to the one you'll be working with, you might need to go through a telephone interview with your prospective manager. I wound't call it an interview, more like a chat where the manager is trying to get familiar with your technical experience, your knowledge of programming languages and other computer science related concepts.

Other tips:
    - Make sure you're nice to HR, they have quite a lot of say in the interview process, and they are very helpful.
    - If you don't hear from them in a while, it's worth writing them an email, but don't be annoying - don't write too many emails. They will read it, but probably you won't get a reply via email. Still, it serves as a reminder that you're still interested. I did that, and got scheduled for an interview a week later.
    - Apply to other places, the interview process is very long, so it's best to have a back-up plan if things don't work out

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

interviewed at Microsoft in February 2013.

I went through the standard application process to get hired as an intern at Microsoft. First there was the application process, clearing which you're invited to an online test sourced from SHL. Passing the test you'll be invited for a telephone interview. After which you have the assessment centre.

Interview Questions
    • I personally didn't find anything unexpected. The questions tested the competency rather than my technical skills.   Answer Question

Software Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Microsoft in February 2013.

Initial Phone + Screening for HR questions

Interview Questions

Software Development Engineer Software Engineer and Software Development Engineer In Test Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in December 2012.

I take the interview in London office, but the hiring team is from (windows phone)Redmond and Skype, I had a telephone interview at first and soon after 1 week, I was invited to the on-site interview.
    I went there at morning at 8, and I had 4 turns of interview, the first 3 is similar with 3 different team leader at MS, two of them were from Test and one from development, I was asking some project experience in every turn and some testing question in 2 test interviews. Write code in whiteboard is required in all 3 turns, which were not very difficult. The last one was to see my coding skills and let me code on the computer about the stack.

Interview Questions
    • How to test a telephone exchange server?
      How to test a sensor on the bicycle?
      How to design a traffic prediction sensor on the cross?

Answer Question

EMEA Business Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in December 2011.

Clear communication about the process but long and many interviews with plenty of people. Decision making about the hiring is not always clear (who decides etc)

Interview Questions
    Negotiation about perks, base salary

INternatoinal Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in April 2009.

First round of interviews - five interview sessions with individuals in back to back meetings in the same office, an hour for each interview, all looking to check on certain areas of the job profile, personality and skill set.
    Second round – presentation on an industry matter for a hour with questions to a group of 5 people from within the organization.
    Third round – senior management in two sessoins, phone and face to face meeting sesssoins.

Interview Questions
    • Presentation on the future of advertising - 30min to present, 20 min questions.   Answer Question
    Long!!