Microsoft Interview Questions in Los Angeles, CA

3.2

14 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Solution Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft.

Took several attempts to connecting with HR and LinkedIn associates working at Microsoft. The office environment and the people working there are awesome.

Interview Questions
    • For me, there was hardly any questions about my skill set. It was more of a conversation about my experience and working knowledge, which I thought was very clever. It doesn't intimidate you. Just helps you relax and be yourself.   Answer Question

The opportunity was very exciting but I later found out that team is going to relocate to another city that is too far to commute to. The recruiter is has promised to keep me in mind for future opportunities closer to my home.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2013.

3 oncompus interviews. Questions are easy to answer, but I am not familiar with C++ and low level OS stuff, I am strong at Java....Ask me about bit level operations, Math questions and design stuff. No chance to make it onsite. Easy problems include: Given a triangle, output how many edges are of same length. Given a string of only 0s and 1s, find the maximum length of equal number continuous 0s and 1s, such as 111000, 00001111.

Interview Questions
    • Did not expect math problems. They gave me a expression and let me find as accurate as possible the Lower Bound and Upper Bound. Bit level problems are also difficult to me.   View Answer

Technical Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Irvine, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in February 2013.

Initial phone interview was with a recruiter. Second phone interview with another technical account manager. Third interview was onsite to role play meeting with a fake client. Panel consisted of five employees; two managers and three technical account managers. One hour timed PowerPoint presentation provided by Microsoft. The last half hour was an open discussion. Last interview was by phone with national director.

Interview Questions
    Not much room to negotiate; great benefits package. Research average salary.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Microsoft in February 2013.

It's a first round on campus interview, the invitation was sent 1 week in front, you can select one section (30 minutes) in two days. The recruiter is very nice, discussed the resume and ask some general questions. Also ask you to describe a difficult situation you met before and how did you solve it . After that you can select one position you interested, then you will be asked some related questions. I chose project manager, so only one design question was asked.

Software Development Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Pomona, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pomona, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in November 2012.

On campus interview with a project manager. Talked about his experience moving from sales to software development to project management, asked typical interview questions (hardest project, teamwork problems you've had, etc.) No technical questions, although it seems like this changes from place to place. The interviewer indicated that he was not the one who decided on an outcome, but there's no way to tell for sure.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult, just typical interview questions. If you're good at interviewing, you'll get past this part, if you aren't, then you won't. It doesn't seem like they looked at resumes / experience very much. I was expecting at least one technical question, but there were none.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  UCLA, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in UCLA, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2012.

Met at the career fair. Nice person. Asked me about interests. Called me for onsite. I was a sencond year fall quarter student when i joined. Bombed the interview. Will try again.
    Q asked : Hashmap, Interface, Abstract class

Software Development Engineer In Test Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in September 2012.

Microsoft was on campus and took resumes, although they say you can either apply online or hand them the resume's personally. They did not schedule an interview until I applied online. Although I did not even qualify for the second round, they had the second round of interviews, the very next day again on campus.

Interview Questions
    • Remove all duplicate words from a string of words. Not just the duplicate but all the instances of the duplicates need to be removed.   View Answers (3)

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2011.

The interviewer went over the position and what he requires. It then went on to be a fairly technical interview.

Interview Questions
    • What were the toughest decisions you had to make in your role as a Team leader and what consequences did you think they would have ? However once you carried out the decisions what consequences did they actually have   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in September 2011.

I applied online for the position and was contacted by the hiring manager. We had a telephone interview discussing my qualifications and I was invited to meet with him for a 1:1 onsite. Our 1:1 interview lasted one hour, and it was very clear during our conversation that my professional qualifications exceeded his own work experience. I was also surprised that the manager disclosed that he had received HR training in how to interview and hire the "right candidate" (A good indication of a lack of his management experience).

I left the interview knowing that my time and expenses spent were basically a loss. I heard nothing further from this individual. I really expected more of Microsoft. Certainly this is not their normal process in hiring talent .

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Pasadena, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pasadena, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in March 2011.

I first submitted my resume on the Microsoft website.
    2-3 weeks later I got an email from a MS recruiter asking me to fill out an application and then go on-line to take some skills test. I did all these things and a couple days later I got another email from the recruiter stating that they were going to setup a phone screen interview.
    After a few more email volleys, my phone screen interview was setup.

The actual phone screen consisted of the following type of questions:

(see questions below)

Overall, I thought I aced this interview. Indeed I was right, because a week later, I was contacted by the Microsoft recruiter who said I would be flying out to Los Angeles to interview in person with a group working on Microsoft's newest SQL 2008R2 hardware solution.

PS - Microsoft takes care of you when you travel. Geez! These guys paid for the flight, the rental car, and up to $75 bucks a day on incidentals. The hotel was 4.5 stars!! I got a room with king bed with a nice view. Awesome!

The actual interview was interesting:
    I showed up in the lobby and was greeted by my first interviewer. He was very short with his speech to me. I felt a sense of arrogance about him and that he saw 500 of me a day (basically I was a nuisance that he had to deal with before he got to get back to his real work).
    We sat down in his office and he asked me a few questions about where I was from, how was the flight, and then he got up from his chair and erased some stuff on the whiteboard and proceeded to ask me the following 3 questions:

(see brain teaser questions below)

After answering the 3rd brain teaser question, this guy said that our time was up and so he took me back to the lobby where I and another person on his team went to lunch. At lunch the guy just let me ask questions about the job, the role I was interviewing for and the project that they were working on. After arriving back to the office from lunch, they sat me in a small conference room where I waited for 45 minutes before the next person to interview arrived.

The next person asked me the following questions:

1) Tell me about yourself in 2 minutes. I want an elevator pitch version of you.

2) He then asked me to describe a project I had done while I worked at Cisco. He saw that on my resume, so he asked me to eleborate a bit on it.

3) Next, he gives me a pen and asks me to walk to the whiteboard. I thought I was going to write code, but instead he tells me this:

Pretend I am your best friend. Pretend also that I have A LOT of money, and that at times I have so much of it, I don't know what to do with it. I make my money by coming up with different investment ideas and my latest idea is "parking structures." I have come up with this idea that parking structures in big cities aren't being run efficiently and that there was an opportunity to make some money in this market. I am asking you to take this idea of mine and come up with some ideas about how you could potentially research this hunch of mine, figure out what people really want when it comes to parking garages, what are some of the flaws in current parking structures that people don't like and design a parking structure that takes these flaws into consideration and eliminates them in its design.

After drawing and writing on the board whilst sweating bullets for the next 30 minutes, he says that he is satisfied with my answer and asks me to ask him about any questions about the position. We spend about 5-10 minutes with me asking questions and him answering. He then says that he is really impressed with my answers and that most people to whom he gives this question never make it to where they are talking about design and the different approaches.

Next, we shake hands and he walks out. About 5 minutes later, the frist guy I met, who asked all those brain teasers walks in. By this time I know that he is the main boss of this group that is working on this brand new Microsoft SQL server hardware solution that sells for no less than $3 million dollars a pop.

He sits down in front of me in the conference room and says, "You aren't a good fit for this role. I don't want to waste any more time today so I'm going to escort you out."

...and that was it.

Good luck! ;p

Interview Questions
    • Brain Teaser #1 -

You are on a game show. Pretend I am the game show host. Now, pretend that I am showing you 3 curtains and I am also telling you that behind 2 curtains are goats and behind the remaining curtain is a car. He then draws 3 boxes on the board and labels then 1, 2, and 3. Now he tells me to pick a curtain. I pick curtain number 3. Now he says, "Okay. I'm going to tell you now that curtain #1 contains a goat (and he tells me this as he crosses off curatin #1). I'll give me a chance to change your answer to curtain #2 or stick with curtain #3.

What do you do and why?
        View Answer
    • Brain Teaser #2 -

Implement an algorithm in pseudo-code that outputs the angle between the hour hand and minute hand of an ordinary clock at any moment in time. (You are not allowed to hardcode anything. The algorithm must use formulas that you come up with yourself to translate the hours to degrees and the same for the minutes). For example, if the minute hand is exactly at 12, you cannot hardcode 12 = 0 degrees.
        View Answer
    • Pretend you are in a factory that produces cones. There is a conveyor belt in a factory that moves these cones from 1 machine to another. The operations manager of this factory tells you that they could increase the efficiency of their factory if the cones were delivered facing the exact same way from 1 machine to the other. Basically, the cones today are getting delivered in what ever angle they happened to fall into once the first machine completed its task (some are standing up, others facing left, others facing right, etc...)

Develop a process that will take these cones and arrange them all to face LEFT before they are inputted into the 2nd machine.
        Answer Question

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!