Microsoft Manager Interview Questions

3.4

14 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Microsoft in October 2012.

store manager

Interview Questions
  • if you were building a dream team from your old company, who wouldn't you take with?   View Answer
minimal

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Microsoft in February 2010.

The hiring and interviewing process was well run, with the internal recruiters doing a good job of briefing me.

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about Microsoft's culture? Why do you want to join Microsoft? What s your passion?   View Answer
    Could negotiate relocation package and signing bonus

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft in November 2009.

I had an initial phone screen by HR and was then called on-site at Redmond. I had a full day of interviews and met with around 7 people individually. The interviews were of average difficulty and highly technical. I got to know about a week later that I wasn't getting the offer. I"m still not sure why.

Interview Questions
    • Give me an example where you have had to defy your boss when you knew he was wrong, and still delivered the requirement?   Answer Question

Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in November 2013.

First was a phone interview with the hiring manager. The interview was in a pleasant and open style which allowed for having a real conversation. I was briefed on the timeline following the interview. Afterwards, when they couldn't keep their own schedule, I was informed with the reason why.

I was then invited to a new interview with the executive. Again, pleasant and very open discussion. Both interviews was using the behavioral interview techniques.

Shortly after I was informed that I had made a positive impression and that they would setup a meeting with a stakeholder (internal "customer") and arrange a meeting at my location. They spent the period checking references.

After the whole process I was given some feedback, which I think is valuable to share. What made a very positive impression was that I seemed to be very honest in my responses. Too many people try to be too prepared for any question to be able to give the "right" response and that is easy to see through. Another thing was that in the discussions and through my questions, apparently I had shown that I had done good research on the position (use Linkedin!!). It enables more meaningful discussions. So do your research and connect it with your own experience.

Interview Questions
    I was presented with a package, which was according to my expectations and competitive vs market so no reason to negotiate.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

The process was quick based upon a reference from an existing employee. After a couple of telephone interviews I was invited to spend a day at their office for in person interviews. I met with the hiring manager, key stakeholders and HR.

Interview Questions
    Negation phase was quick with a couple of back and forth exchanges pertaining to terms. No movement on vacation allocation.

Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

all day panel

open and well handled

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in October 2012.

Phone screen with Recruitment, 2 face to face interviews and one phone interview. Was a new role, so my questions specific about the JD, weren't responded to with any detail. Felt like it was still being defined

Interview Questions
    • Standard behavioural questions about experiences with influencing, working in matrix, managing priorities   View Answer
    They had completely disregarded my expectations and experience I brought with me, felt like ameuters

Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Microsoft in December 2011.

2-on-1 face to face (hiring mgr + HR in the same room). Very thorough, intense, professional. A lot of questions on "how would you do [xyz]".

Interview Questions
    • How do you motivate different groups with different work cultures to work towards the same corporate goals?   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tokyo (Japan)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tokyo (Japan)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in September 2011.

Technical Screening by an out-side company using Web based conference system.
    Then interview by the hiring manager.
    It would have been followed by interviews by employees who would be my subordinates, but I couldn't get there.

Interview Questions
    • What would you tell to your subordinates on the first day of the job.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at Microsoft in May 2011.

I have over 18 years of professional experience that is directly related to the position and I was no longer considered to be a viable candidate for a middle management position because I did not complete my college education. There is lots of value in completing one's college education. However, there is also value in 18 years of direct professional experience in lieu of a college degree. Afterall, Bill Gates (Co-Founder/Chairman of Microsoft) did not complete his college education......Microsoft of all companies, should recognize that individuals with all types of professional work experience and education can contribute to the success of the organization.