Microsoft

Average Difficulty
6 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Redmond, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Microsoft in April 2011.

Interview Details – Eight calls over six weeks with recruiter and hiring manager. One day of interviews with six people in Redmond. Offer made same day.

Interview Question – None - to be honest despite a large number of people the questions were straightforward   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Negotiated salary up a little and stock up a little. NOTE - decline the relocation - tax implications are so bad and fees are so padded you are actually better off paying for it yourself.

Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft in January 2008.

Interview Details – The gateway is usually a recruiter then the hiring manager. Afterwards there is a loop with 4-5 people. Each usually has a different role in the evaluation.

Interview Question – Nothing special   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I took what they gave me. It was above and beyond what I'd ever earned.

Redmond, WA

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Microsoft in January 2008.

Interview Details – First round is with 3 individuals who can then vote 'no' and then no further interviews are conducted.

Interview Question – If you had to sell a new TV model to the world, what is your market size by geography? To determine this #, I had to know the approximate population of the world in each region (Asia, North America, Europe, India, etc). I barely could recall the population of the world at that time! (I've since committed it to memory) ;-)   Answer Question

Redmond, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft in March 2008.

Interview Details – Straightforward and unexpectedly easy. 4 interviewers with one "as appropriate" at the end. All packed into one day. I received my offer the next day.

Interview Question – Nothing stands out as difficult . . . typical questions included what failures have you had, examples of dealing with complexity and ambiguity, scenario-based questions, strengths and development areas. Best question was "what do you stand for?"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Yes, I was able to secure much more stock than originally offered.

Very Difficult Interview

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in August 2009.

Interview Details – Microsoft is very thorough and has a lot of hiring experience. They added over 50,000 employees in 2000-2010, and even though recently they have had lay-offs they are still hiring. I found the process to be pretty straight-forward and clear. They are, of course, a big company. So sometimes the communication can break down. For example, recruiters are reassigned due to re-orgs and applications get dropped. This is normal, you just have to stay on top of it. You need to bring your A-game into the interviews and be very prepared, knowing all the details about the group and company. Even if you think you've done your homework, keep going. You've probably not uncovered all the minute details that affect your interviewer.

Overall, a great company with a solid recruiting team.

Interview Question – You've recently joined a business group that is struggling to deliver an online service. The product team says everything looks good and doesn't know why the service is failing. You have two weeks to figure it out. What do you do?   View Answer

Redmond, WA

The process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in March 2009.

Interview Details – Process was very straightforward with them scheduling a series of 6 one hour interviews. Each interviewer drilled into a particular topic and is was clear that the earlier interviewers were giving the later ones areas to probe.

After the interview, the process of getting to an offer took a couple weeks. They had another candidate they preferred and did keep me hanging while they tried to close this person first.

Interview Question – Why would you want this job when it is in an area where Microsoft has a poor track record of success?   View Answers (2)

Interviews for Top Jobs at Microsoft

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Microsoft Marketing Director interview questions and advice. All 6 interview reviews posted anonymously by Microsoft employees and interview candidates.