Microsoft

Updated Nov 16, 2014

3.1

14 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Marketing Interview

Was recruited by my school. There were on campus interviews for the position which I applied through our career website. I also had an internal referral from someone I know who works there. The first round was on campus and it wasn't bad at all. Make sure you know what marketing generally is and how to use segmenting, targeting and position to sell a product. Make sure you think about what products are marketed well too and know generally about MSFT products.

Final round I was flown out to Seattle. It was 6 back to back interviews with different divisions of MSFT marketing. Thought I did well, there was one guy who really grilled on some technicalities. Other than that, it was a laid back process and the people were really nice. Didn't end up getting but enjoyed my experience!

Interview Questions
  • If you had to pick a MSFT product and expand it to another market, how would and where would you do it?

The guy who grilled interviewees really hard also asked how do you design a piano for blind people? Thrown off by that one.

Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Marketing Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft.

I had a total of 5 interviews across 2 interview rounds. The first round was on the phone and included hypothetical case questions that asked what strategies would help for some situations (ex. taking market share from a leading competitor). The second round was in Redmond, and I had 4 interviews there- mainly behavioral questions were asked.

Interview Questions
    • How would you convince other college students to switch to Windows products?   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft.

The hiring and interview process was fairly simple. Not too difficult. Rather standard interview questions and nothing really out of the ordinary.

Interview Questions
    • I was rather prepared for most of it. They asked to see what technical skills I could bring to the team.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in December 2012.

Many other reviews and blogs online accurately describe the Microsoft interview process and interview "loops", so definitely search those to know what to expect. I submitted my resume online for a job posting I saw on Linkedin that closely matched my experience and future career interests. Two weeks after I submitted my resume, a recruiter at Microsoft contacted me by phone and asked to set up time for a phone screen. It was definitely not just a basic HR screen but a true interview where I was asked questions directly related to the skills and content knowledge required for the job, so definitely prepare for that. During the call, the recruiter told me he would definitely recommend to the hiring manager that she should speak with me. Another phone interview was then set up with the hiring manager for the next week. We had an hour conversation that was less of an interview and more about her vision for the position and how my experience and ideas would fit into that. After that I was contacted by the same recruiter and told that I would have an on-campus interview. This was rescheduled once so it took another 3 weeks before I had my in-person interview at Microsoft. I was given a schedule of 4 interviewers and ended up speaking with 5 in a very small department, so although I felt like I did very well it's still a mystery if I completed my "loop" or not. Two weeks later I was contacted by the recruiter and told I didn't get the position but to apply for others, and received a lot of positive feedback, which should have been helpful but left me feeling confused about why I did not receive an offer.

Interview Questions
    • For my marketing-focused interview, many of the questions were related not to my own work experience but were about what I thought about current Microsoft initiatives. It's important to be really familiar with products or initiatives that the role you're interviewing for might touch as well as the rest of the company because conversations will be long and sometimes undirected, and you'll need broad knowledge to be able to stay in the conversation.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft in September 2011.

The Microsoft process is a very thorough process that takes you to campus for a series of interviews (typically an entire afternoon or morning). In my case, I had 4 back-to-back 1:1 interviews and 3 of them were behavioral "fit" interviews where the interviewers just wanted to get to know me. Three of those were with fairly senior people, one was with a more junior member of the team. My one case interview went poorly (on my part): I had been asked to prep for Marketing-style questions ("what's the best marketed product," "how would you improve X product," etc.), and the only question my case interviewer asked me was "How would you price our product?" The interviewer helped me narrow it down later, but didn't add much to clarify while I tried to think about all the different pricing issues with software products. I probably got dinged on that interview alone. Very unfortunate, since I've interned there and I love Microsoft. Lesson learned: be very sure to know exactly what group you're interviewing for, if possible.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in February 2011.

A recruiter contacted me and I was put in touch with department heads. We had two interviews. One skype, one in person. They asked me a variety of questions about my experience related to marketing and through hypothetical situations at me. It was a fairly painless process and everyone was quite friendly.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you had to manage a team with conflicting personalities.   Answer Question
    • How do you manage your clients expectations?   Answer Question

Not the right position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in September 2010.

Recruiting process delivered by Microsoft HR department is the most wasting and dissapointing experience I have ever had. Microsoft have become in this heavy an inefficient dinosaur company loosing any trace of agility that once existed. You can expect many weeks to be passed between interviews with no status update sent to you from HR reps or Hiring Mgr whatsoever. My last process with them lasted 3 Months!, I went through 7 interviews, you have no more choice than just wait for days not knowing what's going on between interviews. Things that may happen:
    1. You are not the selected candidate, and they can't care any less that they have you waiting in the process for long, great chances are that they won't extend to you the courtesy to at least to let you know it's over.
    2. They "use" you as "the stuffing": by HR internal policies to hire a position a Minimum number of candidates needs to apply and be interviewed in every process ... You can find yourself waisting your precious time during the whole process not even having a chance right from the beginning.
    3. You can be the selected candidate and be giving an offer, but again the absurd process can take forever... Not sure if it's worth.
    I have seen these happening many times both from inside (Im a former MS Employee) and from outside as I explored for a while to get back in... (I know... Bad idea). At the end of the day, fortunately the fact that MS HR and lousy mgmt have wasted my time turned out the best for me, as that gave me the opportunity to look outside and find a great new job in another major IT company. Happy me.
    Yes, Its true!: There's a great life after MSFT.

Interview Questions
    • What was the worded decision you have ever made at the job. Describe about when you really screwed up at the job and the consequences   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Microsoft in April 2008.

i was an internal candidate so my interview process was pretty short. i interviewed first with the hiring manager and then with five people from the extended team of cross-group stakeholders. the interviews were pretty standard. nothing out of the ordinary.

Interview Questions
    • what is the one thing you are most proud of accomplishing at microsoft   Answer Question
    • what is the one thing you are not so proud of in your career at microsoft   Answer Question
    negotiation happened through the recruiter in email. i was able to negotiate a salary and level increase.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in HarbourFront (Singapore)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in HarbourFront (Singapore)

I applied online – interviewed at Microsoft.

There were at least 6 rounds of interviews, ranging from the team members to the Business team staff and HR.

Besides the usual questions of work experience, business successes & failures, one business team leader asked for a self description in 3 words and why those 3 words were chosen.

All in all, the interviews were very professionally handled in an above board manner.

Marketing Interview

They were very friendly. I got lost on the way to the interview and got walked to the office by friendly people on campus! Was very short. It felt as though they had a lot of hiring options.