Microsoft

Average Difficulty
10 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Marketing

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details – The hiring and interview process was fairly simple. Not too difficult. Rather standard interview questions and nothing really out of the ordinary.

Interview Question – I was rather prepared for most of it. They asked to see what technical skills I could bring to the team.   Answer Question

Redmond, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft in December 2012.

Interview Details – Many other reviews and blogs online accurately describe the Microsoft interview process and interview "loops", so definitely search those to know what to expect. I submitted my resume online for a job posting I saw on Linkedin that closely matched my experience and future career interests. Two weeks after I submitted my resume, a recruiter at Microsoft contacted me by phone and asked to set up time for a phone screen. It was definitely not just a basic HR screen but a true interview where I was asked questions directly related to the skills and content knowledge required for the job, so definitely prepare for that. During the call, the recruiter told me he would definitely recommend to the hiring manager that she should speak with me. Another phone interview was then set up with the hiring manager for the next week. We had an hour conversation that was less of an interview and more about her vision for the position and how my experience and ideas would fit into that. After that I was contacted by the same recruiter and told that I would have an on-campus interview. This was rescheduled once so it took another 3 weeks before I had my in-person interview at Microsoft. I was given a schedule of 4 interviewers and ended up speaking with 5 in a very small department, so although I felt like I did very well it's still a mystery if I completed my "loop" or not. Two weeks later I was contacted by the recruiter and told I didn't get the position but to apply for others, and received a lot of positive feedback, which should have been helpful but left me feeling confused about why I did not receive an offer.

Interview Question – For my marketing-focused interview, many of the questions were related not to my own work experience but were about what I thought about current Microsoft initiatives. It's important to be really familiar with products or initiatives that the role you're interviewing for might touch as well as the rest of the company because conversations will be long and sometimes undirected, and you'll need broad knowledge to be able to stay in the conversation.   Answer Question

Redmond, WA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in February 2011.

Interview Details – A recruiter contacted me and I was put in touch with department heads. We had two interviews. One skype, one in person. They asked me a variety of questions about my experience related to marketing and through hypothetical situations at me. It was a fairly painless process and everyone was quite friendly.

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – Not the right position.

Redmond, WA

The process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in September 2011.

Interview Details – The Microsoft process is a very thorough process that takes you to campus for a series of interviews (typically an entire afternoon or morning). In my case, I had 4 back-to-back 1:1 interviews and 3 of them were behavioral "fit" interviews where the interviewers just wanted to get to know me. Three of those were with fairly senior people, one was with a more junior member of the team. My one case interview went poorly (on my part): I had been asked to prep for Marketing-style questions ("what's the best marketed product," "how would you improve X product," etc.), and the only question my case interviewer asked me was "How would you price our product?" The interviewer helped me narrow it down later, but didn't add much to clarify while I tried to think about all the different pricing issues with software products. I probably got dinged on that interview alone. Very unfortunate, since I've interned there and I love Microsoft. Lesson learned: be very sure to know exactly what group you're interviewing for, if possible.

Interview Question – How would you price our product?   Answer Question

Fort Lauderdale, FL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Microsoft in September 2010.

Interview Details – Recruiting process delivered by Microsoft HR department is the most wasting and dissapointing experience I have ever had. Microsoft have become in this heavy an inefficient dinosaur company loosing any trace of agility that once existed. You can expect many weeks to be passed between interviews with no status update sent to you from HR reps or Hiring Mgr whatsoever. My last process with them lasted 3 Months!, I went through 7 interviews, you have no more choice than just wait for days not knowing what's going on between interviews. Things that may happen:
1. You are not the selected candidate, and they can't care any less that they have you waiting in the process for long, great chances are that they won't extend to you the courtesy to at least to let you know it's over.
2. They "use" you as "the stuffing": by HR internal policies to hire a position a Minimum number of candidates needs to apply and be interviewed in every process ... You can find yourself waisting your precious time during the whole process not even having a chance right from the beginning.
3. You can be the selected candidate and be giving an offer, but again the absurd process can take forever... Not sure if it's worth.
I have seen these happening many times both from inside (Im a former MS Employee) and from outside as I explored for a while to get back in... (I know... Bad idea). At the end of the day, fortunately the fact that MS HR and lousy mgmt have wasted my time turned out the best for me, as that gave me the opportunity to look outside and find a great new job in another major IT company. Happy me.
Yes, Its true!: There's a great life after MSFT.

Interview Question – What was the worded decision you have ever made at the job. Describe about when you really screwed up at the job and the consequences   Answer Question

Redmond, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Microsoft in April 2008.

Interview Details – i was an internal candidate so my interview process was pretty short. i interviewed first with the hiring manager and then with five people from the extended team of cross-group stakeholders. the interviews were pretty standard. nothing out of the ordinary.

Interview Questions

• what is the one thing you are most proud of accomplishing at microsoft   Answer Question
  • what is the one thing you are not so proud of in your career at microsoft   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – negotiation happened through the recruiter in email. i was able to negotiate a salary and level increase.

Marketing
Dubai (United Arab Emirates)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in August 2012.

Interview Details – 3 rounds, all with marketing and peers. Fair and open discussions. The peer interview later dint make sense as one of them didn't work in my department or directly with the role.

Interview Question – None - if you are fit for the role all they ask will be easy   Answer Question

Marketing

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details – Microsoft employee passed resume along to hiring manager, who connected with HR to set me up with a 45 minute pre-screen. After passing the initial screen, I was set up with the first 3 interviews, one with a person on the team (more senior), a Marketing Director on another team who partners with them, then the hiring manager, who told me I was also going to meet with the head of the department and another Director who was a peer to her.

Each interviewer went through very different questions - the first covered job qualifications and competencies, the second covered partnering and client management and the hiring manager covered specific skills and comfort in various roles the person would have to handle. Each interviewer was very smart, frank and answered honestly about the good and bad of Microsoft. The last two interviews were mostly about fit and personality. My take is that if you are a good fit for the job and can show how you will excel and fit in with the team and the company, you will have a good time. I came away being really impressed with the interview loop, the process and particularly HR. The HR rep was just as engaging and just as passionate as the business leaders and impressed me with how much she loved the team and what they did.

It was probably one of the best interviews I've ever had. I was a little nervous after reading through reviews here, but my take is just be prepared knowing what they are about and if you show genuine interest in the company, they will notice. It also helps if you applied for a position that genuinely matches your interest/skills. I can't imagine someone who doesn't know their stuff being able to pass the rigorous questions. Each interviewer adds to their collective knowledge, but also adds to your understanding of the position, so it was a positive experience all around.

Interview Question – Why Microsoft?   Answer Question

Marketing

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in January 2012.

Interview Details – Focused on general marketing questions, non-tech related

Interview Question – Which companies do you admire for their marketing?   Answer Question

Marketing

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Microsoft in June 2008.

Interview Details – 1:1 interview loop with the hiring manager, two director level managements, GM level management, and 1 team mate. Each lasted about an hour. The hiring manager's manager was very enthusiastic after extending me an offer until I accepted. He called me at my work phone, cell phone, even at home to try to convince me to work for them.

Interview Question – Situational question about how I would handle a certian situation as a CEO of an company. Don't remember the details but it was about the product I was not familiar with.   Answer Question

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!