Microsoft

Microsoft Marketing Manager Interview Questions

3.1

21 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

- Applied online
- Contacted by recruiter via email
- Phone interview (Recruiter) to filter out candidates
- Recruiter scheduled a series of in-person interviews with six people
- Six in-person interviews scheduled, with the last two being the hiring manager and the General Manager
- After my final interview, the recruiter contacted me and said I received a "thumbs up" from all of the interviewers

Interview Questions
  • What was the most ambiguous situation you've experienced on the job? How were you able to find a resolution? (Didn't find the questions tough. I actually went in prepared for a "how to move a mountain" type question)   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft in December 2011.

Quick interview with recruiter from outsourced company. She had little understanding of the position she was interviewing me for and just ran down a checklist of requirements. I never heard back, the only requirement I did not meet was years experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in April 2011.

The first step was applying online, after which point about 2 weeks passed before I was contacted by a recruiter requesting a first phone interview. The first contact via phone was with the recruiter herself, which lasted roughly a half hour and was very high-level, general interest and experience questions.

After the initial interview via phone, I was contacted roughly one week later requesting a single phone interview with the hiring manager. The hiring manager phone interview was then scheduled about 1 week later, and in between the recruiter was quite adequate at contacting me and answering questions. The hiring manager phone interview was very much like the recruiter phone interview with some technical questions but more intensive and formal overall.

I was contacted a couple days after the hiring manager phone interview with news that the team was interested in having me come in. The soonest available date was about 2 weeks out, so I had some time in between where I did not hear much from the team at Microsoft. Finally, I was sent a packet of information via email to fill out before the in-person interview, and was given instructions.

The day of the interview was quite grueling. I met with 5 different people not including the recruiter, and each person seemed to test/focus on a different facet of my experience, skills, or personality. The first person I really clicked with: we talked over lunch about my experience, why I was interested in the role, and what I thought I could bring to the team. The second person was much more technical and asked specific task questions including abstract ideas and problem solving cases that might come up in the role I was applying for. This was the most difficult interviewer by far! The third person was a younger manager on the team, and he asked some experience questions and questions seeming to aim at personality traits as well as some technical questions - however, nowhere near as technical as the second person. The final person in the loop was brought in at the last minute and she was a senior manager on the same team. This person did not take notes or have a schedule to her interview, but asked difficult questions and was kind of 'cold' in general.

Looking back, I am glad I had the experience to interview, but I do understand why I did not get the job. At Microsoft, it is not enough to be a fast learner, you really need to be able to hit the ground running and if you do not fit the role 100% you will not get an offer. I had probably a 90% fit and they did not want to waste time ramping me up on the final 10%.

Interview Questions
    • If I were to give you $5 billion to run media online for Hotmail, how and where would you spend it and why? In this scenario, you are trying to reach 5 billion acquisitions (meaning a CPA of $1).   Answer Question
    • I want to justify changing the format of a particular display ad on MSN Messenger. Do you think this change of creative is a good idea? Why or why not? How would you go about measuring the success, or lackthereof, of this change?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft in April 2011.

Interviewed with a Senior Product Manager, casual interviewer, but serious about your answers

Interview Questions
    • tell me about a marketing campaign that you like.   View Answer
    • why Microsoft? How would you introduce/market a product to compete against the product you mentioned (in question above)?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in October 2010.

Interviewed at career fair with hiring manager. I was forwarded to the hr department of the group I would be hired into. After being introduced I had a brief call with the hr person. I believe this was a personality screening. I then interviewed with the hiring manager. The process went cold after that. I would like a "No" at least.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft in July 2010.

I spoke with the hiring manager, after the previous 5 techies that HR had identified for her all told her to talk to me. That she needed someone with my skills. I interviewed one on one with the hiring manager. Then same day another hour long interview with 3 other managers in the office and had a written offer by 5:30pm

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied online – interviewed at Microsoft in December 2009.

Long interview process but the hiring process went pretty quickly.

Interview Questions
    • How would you go about estimating how many manholes their are in Manhattan streets?   Answer Question
    It went quickly

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Microsoft in March 2009.

I had 3 phone interviews with various people on the team which was followed by formal inteviews which consisted 6 interviews- some were follow ups from the phone interviews. The last one judges for "fit" within company and culture. Interviews were relatively easy - maybe because I knew what I was doing and was well prepared. I enjoyed the fit discussion - got an offer a few days later and accepted.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in September 2008.

The recruiters at MS are great, and very encouraging. however, It seems like the hiring teams / managers are extremely prejudiced against outside hires --- if you were really smart you'd already be working here. They expect an amazing amount of pre-knowledge of the MS way of going to market.

I am not sure why they bother to bring in outside candidates when their overwhelming preference is to hire from within.

Some interviewers were very disengaged --- you know in the first 10 mins that this interviewer is going to ding you -- because of something!!?? And your left to guess what that something is the whole plane ride home.

Interview Questions
    • What is the worst business or career decision you ever made and what did you learn from it?   View Answer
    • What do you have passion for ?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in July 2008.

The interview process was ok with the Sr Manager of Digital Marketing himself calling to set up the interview. The interview lasted for an hour, was more of a pressure interview where they would ask a series of questions with an aim to gauge how much a candidate can take. I did pass the test, but finally didnt get the offer as they didnt want Masters candidate for the position..Wish they had decided before the process

Interview Questions
    • It's Friday afternoon and you are neck deep in a client deliverable, right then your boss asks you to finish another deliverable. Which one will you choose and why ?   Answer Question