Microsoft Marketing Manager Interview Questions & Reviews

21 interviews

3.1

21 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Marketing Manager Interview

I interviewed through other source. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in July 2007.

Had an inside contact, GM level that helped get my foot in the door. Interviewed by 5 different people, no trick questions, actually was pretty easy. I ended up working with all the people who interviewed me and they were very cool. Microsoft is a good corporation to work for, good pay and benefits, but they definitely make you work hard to earn them.

Interview Questions
  • What kind of programs have you worked on before?   Answer Question
  • What do you think about ring tones as incentives?   View Answer
Wasn't able to negotiate much, but the salary and benefits were great so I was happy with the offer.

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Employee  in  Redmond, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in February 2008.

The recruiter found my resume and called me and I had a phone screen. After that I spoke to the hiring manager and he asked me to fly out to Redmond HQ for an interview. I met with the recruiter, then two members of the team and was finished by 1pm. The interview seemed "off". My questions were met with irritation and if this was some sort of stress test, have a good day. I did not fit in well with the team and was not surprised that I was not offered the job.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if the GM had planned for 500K of a marketing campaign, but the other team members decided not to proceed with it? How would you tell the GM that his marketing intiative will not take place.   View Answer
    • How do you communicate?   View Answer

Market Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Microsoft in July 2007.

structured, different aspects of compatibility with the team, knowledge of the industry, etc were tested

Interview Questions
    ask for more money, they always offer lower end of their potential offer

Anonymous Employee  in  Redmond, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in September 2008.

The recruiters at MS are great, and very encouraging. however, It seems like the hiring teams / managers are extremely prejudiced against outside hires --- if you were really smart you'd already be working here. They expect an amazing amount of pre-knowledge of the MS way of going to market.

I am not sure why they bother to bring in outside candidates when their overwhelming preference is to hire from within.

Some interviewers were very disengaged --- you know in the first 10 mins that this interviewer is going to ding you -- because of something!!?? And your left to guess what that something is the whole plane ride home.

Interview Questions
    • What is the worst business or career decision you ever made and what did you learn from it?   View Answer
    • What do you have passion for ?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bellevue, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I interviewed in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in April 2008.

I was a vendor in the same department as where I was interviewing. As such the interview was a little odd as I was talking with people I had been working with for the last 8 months. I feel having contracted before (on essentially the same work) gave me a huge advantage for the job since the real “interview” happened in the months prior.

I interviewed with five different people and knew more about the nature of the work and department then any of them (again, because of my experience as a vendor). The interviewers included a wide variety of directors that I would be working with as well as one GM from another marketing org who was a stakeholder of the position with no reporting relationship. All of them asked mostly general interest, personality, and culture type questions as well as discussing their individual department strategies. The GM simply wanted to know how me switching from vendor to fte would affect him and said he had already given my recommendation prior to the interview. The hiring manager was really the only resource with a vision for how the role should function and he spent much of his interview communicating this (which was very helpful).

Again, I feel my real “interview” happened through my work and successes in the same department as a contractor. As this organization has a fairly significant contractor budget they very commonly take a “try before you buy” approach where they hire contractors who demonstrate real capability. This also gave me excellent visibility in to the culture and work environment in advance so by the time I was hired on I already knew exactly what to expect, had no surprises at all, was fully ramped up, and had a ton of work from day one. Despite what I was told, the interview process felt more like a formality than anything else and I believe they altered the FTE position specifically so they could hire me into it.

Interview Questions
    • What makes a good manager   View Answer
    • How do you handle a disagreement between yourself and a high level stakeholder in another department   View Answer
    I wasn’t able to successfully negotiate any salary increase with either the recruiter or hiring manager. This is partly because the initial offer was pretty fair (I had a hard time providing evidence or industry data showing I should be getting more). Also I had the disadvantage of them knowing exactly what I was making via my Microsoft contract (they held my existing contract and knew what percentage my company was paying me).

Marketing Manager Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft.

Very quick process, first stage HR telephone call to run through past career experience, achievements and CV. Second stage interview 4 days later was with three Senior Group Managers. HR emailed a presentation title and outline content I was to present in my second interview. I was being asked to present something that I knew Microsoft was not ready to launch. So I changed the presentation to what was required to make sure the launch was successful. HR called 2 days after the interview with a job offer

Interview Questions
    • Was told that I should have followed the given presentation outline...I explained why I had changed it and the benefits of presenting my presentation instead.   Answer Question
    Quick and efficient

Marketing Manager Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Microsoft in November 2009.

First round was standard behavioural questions, then had to put together a sample marketing campaign and present it, and then strange "Microsoft" questions to assess your thinking

Marketing Manager Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft.

I had on campus interview with Microsoft. The interviewer was very friendly and nice. It was a good mix of behavior questions and specific business aspects of Microsoft. The interviewer expects that the candidate is very familiar with Microsoft's marketing strategies and practice.

Marketing Manager Interview

Interviewed with 5 people in an 'interview loop" - one after the other. Interview questions were very direct and to the point asking about experience and how I would handle certain situations. I was often asked to describe a situation and how I handled it - with specific examples.

Interview Questions
    • Why I should be hired given that I lacked direct experience in the technology industry.   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Microsoft in August 2010.

Positive coordination by staffing; spent the entire day interviewing separately with a new person each hour. Did not get informed that I did not get the position by anyone even though I made it through to the as appropriate manager.