Microsoft

Relevance Date Difficulty

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Mechanical Engineer
Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft in November 2012.

Interview Details – It all started with me giving out my resume at the campus career fair. After a month or so, I got set up for an interview call with a manager, which went quite well. Most questions were conceptual like use of DOE, whether I like to work as a team or as an individual and so on.

After the interview went well, I was asked to appear for an on-site interview. The accommodation and travel arrangements were very well taken care off. On the d-day, I met with 4 different team managers.

On the first round, the manager asked me to compare between ipad and surface, the casing, and certain projects that I have worked on.

Second round, I again explained certain significant projects that I had done over my past experience, but since I had worked as a design engineer, I couldn't answer much on the QA side (cp, cpk, minitab).

The third round was funny in a way that the interviewer inquired about my projects, then said that I'd be a very good fit for a particular group in the organization. Till then, all the interviewers were very articulate in understanding and were also prodding me on coming up to the right approach. It was very good till then.

On the fourth round, my interviewer was a particularly inarticulate person switching continuously between various concepts and technologies. It din't matter to me that he was constantly switching between stuff, but him being inarticulate and non-responsive towards my answers bothered me a bit.

All in all, the process made me think a lot on my foot often and was a bit tiring too (4 back to back interviews in 5 hours time). Also, its well known that microsoft HR DO NOT give any interview feedback. So its better not to be expected.

Interview Question – Is aluminum (ipad cover) more corrosive or less corrosive than magnesium alloy (surface casing)?

Lots of basic geometry, simple mechanisms (simply supported and cantilever beams), etc.

Bit of characterization methods
  Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Mechanical Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft in November 2011.

Interview Details – Initial communications with Microsoft began at a campus recruiting event. I submitted my resume to be considered for general hardware positions, and I got an on campus interview.

The first interview was good, and actually very fun. I was asked open-ended questions about products and their development, my passion for Microsoft, etc.

About two weeks later I was notified via email from one of the recruiters that I had made it to the final round. While travel arrangements were set up, I had a phone interview with an engineer. They asked about past experiences related to the field, and then the bulk of the conversation centered on two technical questions that hit on key principles in mechanical engineering. I did well on those, and then the conversation concluded.

Weeks later, I came to Seattle with many other recruits from different universities around the country. Hotel, transportation, food - all of these things were taken care of. On the day of interviews, I spoke with 4 different engineers from multiple groups, with a little bit of a break between each one. The first two were heavy on challenging my ability to brainstorm and think about lots of different aspects of a problem. The third interview was geared about half toward some past work experience and half on technical questions. The fourth was very technical and difficult. There were some concepts and equations that I hadn't seen for years since early engineering classes that I was expected to remember and apply on the spot. It seemed they were really trying to draw out knowledge of fundamental principles and their applications.

After all the interviews, I was pulled aside by one of the recruiters and informed that I would not be getting an offer at that time. I was assured that this was not an insult to my intelligence but just that there wasn't a good match at the moment with my particular skill set. Unfortunately, that was the limit of feedback I received - apparently it is company policy not to give any sort of interview feedback. Overall it was a great experience - I learned a lot, got to see Seattle, and met some great people in the process.

Interview Question – Describe a technical problem from your experiences and describe how you went about solving it.   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response
Interviews for Top Jobs at Microsoft

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!

Microsoft Videos

Microsoft – Why Work for Us?

What do you want in a job? Do you want more than a paycheck? At Microsoft, you can discover potential you didn’t know you had, push your limits, turn your ideas into reality and make a real impact on the industry and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Microsoft Mechanical Engineer interview questions and advice. All interview reviews posted anonymously by Microsoft employees and interview candidates.