Microsoft Interview Questions in Mountain View, CA

Updated Feb 6, 2015

3.2

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Microsoft.

Very fast process for me, but have heard that it went slow for some others. So varies.
    Got a phone screen with some technical questions, then an onsite within a few days, and an offer a few days after that.
    The interviews were good, lots of whiteboard coding questions but good questions, nothing stupid. Some basic sanity checks, i.e. very simple questions, some slightly more complicated (e.g. rearranging linked lists). Long day.
    If one or two interviewers give a solid thumbs down they often stop the process so they do not waste time, so if the interview is shorter than expected then expect bad news. If you make it to see the hiring manager it is a good sign.

Interview Questions
    • Honestly don't remember, but I was not stuck anywhere so there was nothing too ridiculous. But they do expect you to think of edge cases and test cases, especially for an SDET.   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate but should have. I asked for too little and got it. Research the market and ask for slightly more than you want.

Hardware Quality Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

5 interviews with various levels of interviewers (engineers, directors, gms..). I loved the interview process because it was not the typical behavioral stuff. The conversations were pretty laid back, which I liked. We talked about some technical topics (mechanical, electrical) and my interests. The least senior person that interviewed me asked me some brainteaser type questions. They weren't too hard. I really liked the people that I met and the culture, which seemed pretty non-bureaucratic.

During the interview process they took us to a nice dinner and treated us really well. I enjoyed the recruiting process.

Interview Questions
    • How did you get hired for your previous job (internship) without having experience?   View Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Microsoft in May 2014.

Recruiting agency contacted me for this job and I was interviewed on Skype.It was 30 minutes interview which was technical.The manager asked few technical questions and it was kind of conference call on Skype as other team members were also listening.

Software Development Engineer In Test Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in February 2014.

I applied as a PM but they set an interview for an SDET position. Interview process was great though. Had a phone interview with a recruiter where we talked about my classes and projects that I've done. The recruiter was really nice and friendly. They flew me up to Mountain View a couple of weeks later. The first interviewer asked me to write atoi() and merge two sorted linked lists, which I did correctly. My interviews went downhill afterward though...

Interview Questions
    • Write a function to count the number of sentences in a grammatically-correct English paragraph.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer/Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in January 2014.

2 on-campus, 1 on-site interview

No negotiation

Account Technology Specialist (ATS) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in October 2013.

Phone screen followed by phone tech review - fairly easy. Flew me into Mountain View campus for 6 hours, interviewed with other ATSs - 2, 45 minutes, then interviewed with 2 account managers. All interviews 1:1 and 45 minutes in length.

My resume is more of a marketing document not a chronically history of my career (22 years), so interviewers got a bit stuck with trying to connect the dots. I would have rather had all interviewers at once instead of rehashing the same topic - my history.

They asked why do I want to work for MSFT since my own consulting company is so successful. I stated I wanted to have a greater impact on society. They asked the same question again and again which gave me the impression they were not making an impact on society nor happy with their role. Who knows.

Lunch provided. Some travel expenses paid. Had 90 minute break between interviews which sucked. Hard to carry interest after sitting in a room alone for 90 minutes. Two positions where open, maybe three. After not getting the job I was told that they are only going to fill one o f the positions and the person given the offer had more sales experience which is fine. My background is more technical / solution architect and the role appears more like hand holding enterprise clients then designing or even project management. Seemed like a shallow role.

PS: LinkedIn was highly leveraged by both myself and the interviewing team.

ASIC Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft.

Many back to back 1 hour interviews with different people from different departments.

Senior User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Microsoft in May 2013.

The biz guy came to interview and ask real-projects that they are working on for free consulting.
    Because he's biz guy, he only ask biz question for a candidate who applied to designer position

Interview Questions
    • What should we do in order to be profitable against competitors?   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview with recruiter about current position, salary and few techincal questions.
    Phone interview with Engineer at Mountain View Office. They ask you to write code. Questions are simple but expect to have all corner cases covered when testing.

Interview Questions
    • Find if given number matched sum of two elements in sorted array.   View Answer

Hardware Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

I filled in the application through college career fair and got the feedback in 3 weeks. One guy in XBOX team interviewed me. It's easy questions over all until I failed on the latch question because it was not the usual way I made a latch.

Interview Questions
    • blocking and non-blocking assignments in verilog.   Answer Question
    • using 2 to 1 mux to build some gates   Answer Question
    • using verilog to build a latch. only modify the condition, not the content within always@.   Answer Question