Microsoft Network Engineer Interview Questions

2.8

4 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

The process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in February 2012.

Process was pretty straight forward. The team I interviewed with was in the games division. First interview was with teh manager. He asked a couple light technical questions, which I did well on. He handed me off to the next guy who was very technically savvy. I choked, and he was less than tactful. The point of this review: Be prepared. I wasn't and was quickly exposed. Prepare to answer high-level questions and the be prepared to whiteboard and answer some deeper questions. Prepare!

Interview Questions
  • Given a very large existing network with thousands of external connections, how would you add an additional few hundred connections?   View Answers (2)

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

The process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in June 2011.

Got an email from Contracting recruiter about the Network Engineer position. Next week later, I got a P2P interview at Redmond. It was pleasant; arrived early so I can walk around. Finally, met with he interviewer - cool guy.
    Told him about my limited dev. and testing skills from the Get-Go, more involved in Cisco IOS CLI and network configuration.
    Asked me very, easy questions like - if my VOIP call dropped, what happened? how to backup running-config's on router? how would you troubleshoot a router if ICMP is turned off.

About the last question: who would be stupid enough to turn ICMP off? After he said that, I already knew the Interview was a waste of time and probably the Interview was to only make it seem like he was "busy."

Interview Questions
    • how would you troubleshoot a router if ICMP is turned off.   View Answers (3)
    • Using my linksys router - VOIP call shuts down, all of a sudden.
      (Presuming all other ports are working).
        View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2010.

Microsoft's network engineering team does a fast, efficient, day long (five hours) team interview. You may well meet three other candidates there for the same round of interviews in a different order. In my case, the people I interviewed with asked a variety of intelligent questions - it was a good technical interview without any of the legendary MS questions. Watch yourself at lunch. On the whole, expect a thorough interview about networking with intelligent people and leave the rest for the fit.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in February 2009.

I was interviewed on college campus and then they invited me for a office visit where I got a technical interview, then met the manager for the final interview. Be ready for trouble shooting questions and answer following the question: If Bill Gates is sitting across this table, why would he hire you?

Interview Questions

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!