Microsoft

Average Difficulty
4 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Redmond, WA

The process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in February 2012.

Interview Details – Process was pretty straight forward. The team I interviewed with was in the games division. First interview was with teh manager. He asked a couple light technical questions, which I did well on. He handed me off to the next guy who was very technically savvy. I choked, and he was less than tactful. The point of this review: Be prepared. I wasn't and was quickly exposed. Prepare to answer high-level questions and the be prepared to whiteboard and answer some deeper questions. Prepare!

Interview Question – Given a very large existing network with thousands of external connections, how would you add an additional few hundred connections?   View Answers (2)

Dallas, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in February 2009.

Interview Details – I was interviewed on college campus and then they invited me for a office visit where I got a technical interview, then met the manager for the final interview. Be ready for trouble shooting questions and answer following the question: If Bill Gates is sitting across this table, why would he hire you?

Interview Question – How would you deal with an agry customer?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Redmond, WA

The process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in June 2011.

Interview Details – Got an email from Contracting recruiter about the Network Engineer position. Next week later, I got a P2P interview at Redmond. It was pleasant; arrived early so I can walk around. Finally, met with he interviewer - cool guy.
Told him about my limited dev. and testing skills from the Get-Go, more involved in Cisco IOS CLI and network configuration.
Asked me very, easy questions like - if my VOIP call dropped, what happened? how to backup running-config's on router? how would you troubleshoot a router if ICMP is turned off.

About the last question: who would be stupid enough to turn ICMP off? After he said that, I already knew the Interview was a waste of time and probably the Interview was to only make it seem like he was "busy."

Interview Questions

• how would you troubleshoot a router if ICMP is turned off.   View Answers (3)
  • Using my linksys router - VOIP call shuts down, all of a sudden.
    (Presuming all other ports are working).
      View Answer

Redmond, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2010.

Interview Details – Microsoft's network engineering team does a fast, efficient, day long (five hours) team interview. You may well meet three other candidates there for the same round of interviews in a different order. In my case, the people I interviewed with asked a variety of intelligent questions - it was a good technical interview without any of the legendary MS questions. Watch yourself at lunch. On the whole, expect a thorough interview about networking with intelligent people and leave the rest for the fit.

Interview Question – explain the ospf adjacency process.   Answer Question

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!