Microsoft Premier Field Engineering Interview Questions

Updated Apr 4, 2015

4.0

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft (Charlotte, NC) in March 2015.

Interview

From the time I was contacted by the Microsoft recruiter until I took my first technical interview was about two to three weeks, which was a little longer than I expected. The interviews consisted of a technical phone screen via Lynk with two seasoned PFE's, followed by an in-person interview with the manager of the PFE group with which I was interviewing.

Both interviews went well, and the people I interviewed with were very nice and personable. I have interviewed with Microsoft before, and worked with them as a partner, and in all of my interactions I have always been impressed by the caliber of people they have and how outgoing they are.

Interview Questions

• Can you describe a situation when you would not use a clustered columnstore index.   1 Answer
  • Can you name the six properties of SQL Server tables?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Their offer was satisfactory, no negotiation needed.

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Premier Field Engineer Interview

Interview

Very easy going group, technical questions but overall very behavioral feel to the interview similar to many other company's (target, Cargill etc...). Great Company to work for and fantastic benefits

Premier Field Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

4 Rounds - Technical, Client handling skills, Management & HR. Technical got lot of deep technical knowledge.IF you love Microsoft technology you can crack it. Client handling & Management round are scenario base- Be careful what you answer :)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in November 2013.

Interview

Went to on-campus career fair and talked to a recruiter about being a PM on a product group - they collected my resume. I never applied online or through university career website, but I received an email from a recruiter to set up a phone interview with very short notice (~18 hrs). I did that, not knowing for which position I was interviewing. During the phone screen, I was told that I was interviewing for Premier Field Engineer and was given a brief rundown of the position. Phone interview was 35 minutes with behavioral questions and one brain-teaser/logic question that took the majority of the time.

I received an email about 10 days later inviting me for an on-site interview in Redmond. Four masters students and four undergrad were all interviewing for same position, all with same first round experiences. Interview day at Redmond consisted of lunch and then four consecutive interviews. First one was extremely technical, second one was situational/business sense/case-like. The other two were extremely friendly conversations where no direct interview questions were asked. I felt I did extremely well on the technical interview and fairly well on the situational one. They were very interested in how I approached both technical and people-oriented problems. They were extremely inquisitive about my thought process and methodology. The second two interviews were interesting, both with senior managers who talked to about sports, video games, hobbies, the job, Microsoft, etc. The first two interviews were intense, the second two were easy.

I received an email and call after a week offering me the position.

Interview Questions

• Brainteaser/case questions regarding both technical and situational circumstances.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Offer was non-negotiable but generous. Offer was only valid for two weeks.

Premier Field Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

There were three rounds, starting with the Recruiter who had asked some technical questions. The second round was much more technical with two Engineers. Finally, the third round consisted of an interview with two Managers.

Interview Questions

• Provide a scenario where you knew you were correct but everyone else were going down a different route and you had to reel them towards your way.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Ad offer was made the day after my final round of interviews and I negotiated for a sign-on bonus which took an extra day to get approved.

Premier Field Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in August 2012.

Interview

I was contacted via linkedIn for this job. I had to go through two technical and one non-technical interview. The two technical interview were via phone. The first was just a simple Q/A. In the second interview, I was interviewed by two PFE engineers. Please expect to be subjected to very tough questions. Make sure to understand the core concepts. I was interviewed for Active directory, hence I was asked questions from AD replication, sites and subnets etc. The questions will be asked from Easy to tough and it will keep getting tougher till you break. Be honest , if you don't know something, just tell them. The non-technical interview was face to face in charlotte, NC. I interviewed with two PFE managers. Basically they are looking for people with excellent communication skills and the humility to work with difficult customers. They are looking for smart engineers but less attitude.

Interview Questions

• Difficult questions, it depends upon each person how much experience they have. My recommendation would be to keep you core concepts strong. I was asked questions from AD replication, domain partitions, SPN's etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation

My salary was not negotiable. But I got my bonus/moving expenses covered.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft (Charlotte, NC) in December 2011.

Interview

Lots of behavioral questions. Please be prepared. Company emphases on how you can add to knowledge base by asking simple questions about popular software. Ex - What is your favourite software? How would you improve upon it? And, did you ever stand up against a manager/executive? How did it turn out?

Interview Questions

• What is your favourite software? How would you improve upon it?   Answer Question
    • Some resume based questions. Nothing too technical or detailed.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft (Richmond, VA) in February 2011.

Interview

3 phone interviews, 3 in-person interviews. The process was pretty smooth and detailed. The entire process was explained very well up front once I passed the initial phone screen. After 2 subsequent phone interviews, I received the call for the in person interviews. All expenses were paid.

Interview Questions

• I was asked a lot of questions outside of the position I was interviewing for. You were warned.   Answer Question

Premier Field Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in April 2010.

Interview

Expect lots of phone calls and emails. There are at least 2-3 interviews, but maybe more. Don't be shocked by the technical depth of the questions. Often some of the PFEs that interview you are trying to show you how smart they are. Be honest, be humble and stoke their egos.

Interview Questions

• Expect some very technical questions. For the manager interview, expect to be assessed for your "culture" and ability to handle pressure. If you show excitement, and enthusiasm it goes along way.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Look at glass door for salary range. Feel free to negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bentonville, AR

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Microsoft (Bentonville, AR) in October 2007.

Interview

My interview process started with over a dozen emails with the Microsoft recuiter. Followed by several phones calls going over my skills. Then a very detailed phone interview with someone how does the job. This one hour interview was very techincal. Several days after that I fly to Las Colinas Texas for my face to face interview. I had 3 one hour interviews setup. The first was with 4 people, the second with 2. The first two hours was technical. The third was with 2 managers for another hour.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Less than a week later the official job over came. We went back and forth 3 times over the details and I took the job ;)