Microsoft Principal Program Manager Interview Questions

2 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Principal Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in January 2013.

The process started from a recruiting company which found me and thought I had a good skill set from linkedIn. Two interviews with recruiters and then two phone interviews with Microsoft internal. Each about a week apart. Full onsite interview was scheduled for a few weeks later. The entire day lasted 8-9 hours at the headquarters in Redmond. 6 individual interviews all were one on one. Good mix of technical questions and program management questions. Many repeating questions on how to deal with other groups that need to interact with. Lots of program management technique questions. A lot of examples asked and make sure to have plenty of detail to give. Most of the folks dig into things until they get what they want. Some questions will last 20 minutes. Know your technical area that you are trying for. Even if it is a management position you will be expected to know quite a bit about the technical piece. The day went very well overall. I got to the last interview which was not scheduled. I was told it went well and felt the same way. Left feeling like an offer would come. Never heard from them again so it was very strange. I felt like I nailed most of the interview and knew the areas very well. I have no idea what else they could have been looking for. I would love to have understood what drove that decision.

Interview Questions
  • Asked about scenario's in terms of tests failing in production and how to handle it with lots of revenue on the line and also how to communicate to team and to senior executives about the issue.   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Principal Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, OR

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in April 2009.

It was an internal transfer. I knew several people on the hiring team, but I still had to go through a full interview process. I got grilled on both business and technical skills, as well as soft skills like communications and cross-group collaboration. When I got the job, I needed all those skills, so the broad range of questions was justified.

Interview Questions
    • A programming question; something to do with calculating all the prime numbers between 0 and n.   View Answer