Microsoft Product Management Interview Questions

2 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Product Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Microsoft in January 2007.

I worked at MSFT for 8 years. I went thru all day interview process twice. Once for an MBA internship and once for a fulltime gig. While at MSFT, I managed a team of 8-10 product managers for most of my time there. I was constantly interviewing others for positions on my team while there. Some thoughts for interviewing for marketing positions

1) Passion. Absolutely mandatory to show passion for technology. Often it is less abotu absoute knowledge and more about passion and ability to ramp. Your first PC, what you like about your ipod, why smartphones will change the world, etc. Pick your story and use it during the interview. Become familar and direct questions back to where you are comforatble.

2) Structured Thining. MSFT is a place of grayness often. It is up to you to figure things out. Having frameworks and strucuture to thinking is key. It will help you address unkown or new challenges - at work and in the interview process.

3) Metrics. Like any big company, metrics are key. MSFT is just figuring this out relative to your big marketing companies like P&G. Show how you think about metrics - markeshare, revenue, new accounts, etc. Use metrics to show your past expereinces and projects

Interview Questions
  • Case questions. You will probably get them.   View Answer
  • How you would change a specific product.   View Answer
Hard to negotiate. Lots of frameworks that folks need to work within. Understand the level system there and shoot for higher levels - all compensation trickle off of the level.

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Product Management Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft in July 2008.

Interview loop,pretty standard. Lots of situational interviewing.

Interview Questions
    • Focus on key skill areas, like communications, collaboration, intellectual horsepower, etc.   Answer Question