Microsoft

Updated Dec 11, 2014

3.4

33 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Product Manager Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft.

Was greeted by a flustered looking man. I asked what he did at Microsoft and he started talking for a good ten minutes about how he was a software engineer in video. Interviewer made poor eye contact, and was not friendly at all.

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Product Manager Interview

Pretty standard process: first 2 behavior questions, why PM, why MS; then a simple tech questions on data structure; then a question on schedule delay; then a product design problem

Product Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in July 2014.

I was contacted by a recruiter towards the end of their summer internship period. I was recommended for a full time position by a friend in that program. Describing my skills as broad and focused on logistics and teambuilding, I was told that I would be given a screening interview over the phone. I was told to fill out a questionnaire beforehand. About two weeks later, I was on the phone with a fellow working as a software engineer. I figured something was wrong as soon as he started asking me the same basic information as I had previously filled out on my questionnaire. Soon, it was a full software interview, including opening an online document so that he could see me code. Seeing as I was not marketing myself as a software engineer, and specifically had an interest in working with a hardware group, the questions caught me off guard and I was completely unprepared. The questions were all pretty straightforward coding questions that I could've gotten with my typical coding warm up.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

Was asked to meet in person after the first interview

Interview Questions
    • Nothing about the interview was unexpected. I would however recommend to not overstate anything on your resume and be prepared for behavioral questions.   Answer Question

They could not match another offer i received

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in November 2012.

Long and arduous. Old-fashioned and difficult to understand what people did in their roles - lots of overlap. Getting to interview took years

Interview Questions
    • there is a car park - how do you design a system to advise drivers how many spots are free?   Answer Question
    Not too bad. MSFT offered (at the time) sign on bonus and help with residency. Health care was to notch at that time.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in September 2012.

As a non-technical undergraduate student from a non-target school, I had to reach through my network to get connected to a Recruiter. The recruiting process is broken down as follows:

Overview:
    1. First-Round Phone Interview
    2. Notified About Second Rounds in Redmond, Washington
    3. Dinner Reception (Night Before Interviews)
    4. Interview "Super Day" at MSFT Campus
    5. Results

I. First Round Phone Interview :
    Several generic behavioral questions regarding teamwork, time management, conflict resolution, and explaining a technical concept. The phone interview also included several "Case-like" questions that analyzes the candidate's logic, critical thinking, and analytical abilities. Depending on the division one is applying for, the interviewer will ask you more role-specific questions (a la "How would you market the Xbox differently" if you're going for that team).

II. Second Round Notifications:
    You get a nice email from Microsoft that you'll be flown out to Washington. Great experience! They put you up in a great hotel, get a rental car for you, and take care of all your general food expenses :]

III. Dinner Reception:
    Meet and mingle with newly hired "Microsofties" over some great food. Learn about their experiences and show that you're a sociable and normal person!

IV. Interview "Super Day"
    Your day starts at 7:00am. Four hour-long interview rounds in a row. You get to meet some incredible people that love their jobs! They're really nice and make the interview rounds as pleasant as possible. *Warning* They might throw a stress interviewer to see how you sweat!
    The interview rooms are well-decorated, but are incredibly close in proximity so you can overhear the other interviewers. Pro Tip: Focus on YOU and not your competition :]

V. Results
    They said that we'd hear back "within a week." I flew out on Wednesday, interviewed Thursday, and got my offer by Monday.

Interview Questions
    • "What is a product that you think is marketed well?"   Answer Question
    • "If you were to market 'said' product, how would you do it differently?"   Answer Question
    • "If you were to market the Microsoft brand on-campus, how would you do that?"   Answer Question
    • "How would you calculate the market value of the Segway market in the United States of America?"   Answer Question
    Non-negotiable :[
    Regardless, they made me an amazing offer I couldn't refuse :]

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in September 2012.

I never even applied to this job; I just expressed interest to a recruiter I met at a career fair. She then emailed me to set up an on-campus interview after filling out a really easy questionnaire. I thought I bombed the on-campus interview but was given an on-site interview. I thought I aced the on-site interview but then got rejected from an offer. I still enjoyed the process.

Interview Questions
    • How would you market the Windows 8 pre-packaged product?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in January 2012.

it consisted of an initial phone interview with a recruiter and subsequently I was flown to Seattle for a full day of interviews (around 5 or so) with the team I was interviewing for. As the day progressed the interviews were with higher up employees and more difficult questions were asked.

Interview Questions
    • A logic question that was asked in my final interview having to do with how curves are done in classes.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft in October 2011.

This was an on-campus interview which lasts only 30 minutes. It started with non-technical question like "Why do you wanna apply for this position", "Which programming language do you feel most comfortable with"... The the interviewer came to the technical part by asking my project experiences, OOP features, interaction experience with customers. It ended with a typical interview question, elevator design.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in February 2011.

After submitting my resume, I got contacted for a phone interview (I don't live in the Redmond area). The phone interview was with an HR person and lasted about 45 minutes. There wer typical behavioral questions (tell me about a time when..), and also a few marketing questions about products that I thought were marketed well, how I would improve those products. There was also a question about designing an alarm clock for the blind.

A few weeks later I received an email saying I made it through to the 2nd round. I went to the campus in Redmond as part of an interview day. There were 4 interviews scheduled for everyone participating in that day (all within the group I was applying for), each one lasting from 45 minutes to an hour with short few-minute breaks in between. All the interviewers were nice, but each interview was very different. They were all people that worked in the group that I was applying for (not HR).

My first interview was behavioral (tell me about a time when...), and asked very typical questions about why I wanted to work at Microsoft. It was very conversational, and it felt more like we were just talking about my resume, my skills, and my interests, rather than a formal interview.

The second interview was a case interview. My interviewer drew out a real Microsoft business problem on the white board and asked me questions about how I would approach the problem, what other information would I need, and what action I would recommend. After saying a few things, I got stuck, but my interviewer guided me along towards different areas to consider. In the end, there was something important that I had missed and my interviewer let me know what that was. There were also a few random questions like, describe a process to me as if I were a 7 year old child. I didn't think I did well in this interview, but it couldn't have been that bad because later I got the offer.

The third interview was very focused on marketing (I was applying for a marketing position). I was asked about products that were marketed well and poorly. I think it was crucial to use a framework in answering this question (marketing mix), but again, the interview was very conversational, and my interviewer guided me in certain directions when I ran out of things to say about a certain product. There were also questions that tested creativity like, what are all the ways you could market ping pong balls if they could no longer be used for ping pong?

My last interview was the least structured. My interviewer basically let me have the entire hour to ask any questions I had about Microsoft. The interviewers talk to each other after each interview, so maybe I had already gotten a "Yes" from the first 3? Even though I only had a few questions to start with, as we talked, it became conversational so I asked additional questions based off the ongoing conversation. I think this was to gauge my interest in Microsoft and show that I knew enough about it to ask intelligent questions.

Some people in my group got called back for a 5th interview, and we all thought that a 5th interview meant that you did well (and only 4 interviews meant you were cut), but that turned out to be untrue, since I only had 4 interviews and I got an offer. To prep for the interviews, I would just prepare for business cases, marketing cases, research the company, research your group, and show your interest in technology and in Microsoft.

Interview Questions
    • There is a business unit within a large software company (Microsoft) that has X revenue, their expenses are increasing, their competitors are creating lower cost products, and their suppliers are putting pressure on costs from the supply side (there were a few other circumstances I don't remember). What would you do? What other information would you need? What questions would you ask?   Answer Question
    • How else could you market ping pong balls if ping pong itself became obsolete? (List many, then pick one and go into detail)   Answer Question
    • What was the hardest qusetion you were asked in the interview loop today?   Answer Question
    • Think of any process that you are familiar with (doesn't have to be software related) and explain it to me as if I were a 7 year old child.   Answer Question
    • What is a product you think is marketed well? How would you improve the marketing for it?   Answer Question
    One of the first things my recruiter said to me when I got the offer was that it was not negotiable at all. I actually received a better offer from another company, but ended up choosing Microsoft because of the culture and company reputation. I think they know they have that going for them.