Microsoft

Getting the Interview

30 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Redmond, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Microsoft in November 2012.

Interview Details – Long and arduous. Old-fashioned and difficult to understand what people did in their roles - lots of overlap. Getting to interview took years

Interview Question – there is a car park - how do you design a system to advise drivers how many spots are free?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not too bad. MSFT offered (at the time) sign on bonus and help with residency. Health care was to notch at that time.

Redmond, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details – Was asked to meet in person after the first interview

Interview Question – Nothing about the interview was unexpected. I would however recommend to not overstate anything on your resume and be prepared for behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – They could not match another offer i received

Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in January 2012.

Interview Details – it consisted of an initial phone interview with a recruiter and subsequently I was flown to Seattle for a full day of interviews (around 5 or so) with the team I was interviewing for. As the day progressed the interviews were with higher up employees and more difficult questions were asked.

Interview Question – A logic question that was asked in my final interview having to do with how curves are done in classes.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Redmond, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft in September 2012.

Interview Details – I never even applied to this job; I just expressed interest to a recruiter I met at a career fair. She then emailed me to set up an on-campus interview after filling out a really easy questionnaire. I thought I bombed the on-campus interview but was given an on-site interview. I thought I aced the on-site interview but then got rejected from an offer. I still enjoyed the process.

Interview Question – How would you market the Windows 8 pre-packaged product?   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in September 2010.

Interview Details – 3 rounds of interviews, all were pretty easy. The interviewers asked questions like:
Why do you want this job
Why Microsoft
What do you think about [specific division you're applying to]'s [specific problem]? How would you solve it?

I got a few macro-level questions about the industry and company strategy, but that probably varies by position.

Interview Question – Asked specific questions about high level tech trends & things in the news   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – One back and forth, and done. They are more flexible on levels than they are on salary from what I've noticed. Always go with the levels -- managers change so often that you can often request a pay increase in 6 months or so. However, if you're stuck in a lower level and already making the max pay, it's much harder to jump levels.

Redmond, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in September 2012.

Interview Details – As a non-technical undergraduate student from a non-target school, I had to reach through my network to get connected to a Recruiter. The recruiting process is broken down as follows:

Overview:
1. First-Round Phone Interview
2. Notified About Second Rounds in Redmond, Washington
3. Dinner Reception (Night Before Interviews)
4. Interview "Super Day" at MSFT Campus
5. Results

I. First Round Phone Interview :
Several generic behavioral questions regarding teamwork, time management, conflict resolution, and explaining a technical concept. The phone interview also included several "Case-like" questions that analyzes the candidate's logic, critical thinking, and analytical abilities. Depending on the division one is applying for, the interviewer will ask you more role-specific questions (a la "How would you market the Xbox differently" if you're going for that team).

II. Second Round Notifications:
You get a nice email from Microsoft that you'll be flown out to Washington. Great experience! They put you up in a great hotel, get a rental car for you, and take care of all your general food expenses :]

III. Dinner Reception:
Meet and mingle with newly hired "Microsofties" over some great food. Learn about their experiences and show that you're a sociable and normal person!

IV. Interview "Super Day"
Your day starts at 7:00am. Four hour-long interview rounds in a row. You get to meet some incredible people that love their jobs! They're really nice and make the interview rounds as pleasant as possible. *Warning* They might throw a stress interviewer to see how you sweat!
The interview rooms are well-decorated, but are incredibly close in proximity so you can overhear the other interviewers. Pro Tip: Focus on YOU and not your competition :]

V. Results
They said that we'd hear back "within a week." I flew out on Wednesday, interviewed Thursday, and got my offer by Monday.

Interview Questions

• "What is a product that you think is marketed well?"   Answer Question
  • "If you were to market 'said' product, how would you do it differently?"   Answer Question
  • "If you were to market the Microsoft brand on-campus, how would you do that?"   Answer Question
  • "How would you calculate the market value of the Segway market in the United States of America?"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Non-negotiable :[
Regardless, they made me an amazing offer I couldn't refuse :]

Redmond, WA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in June 2008.

Interview Details – I worked in the same role as a contractor for 4 months. I was originally hired to support someone in her role. The first day I started as a vendor she left on medical leave, the manager who hired me quit, and a peer of mine was advanced to manager. The new manager also left on paternity leave so I was left with no support group at all. I did not have network access or an email address yet and just sat in the contractor room for 6 weeks with nothing to do and no one to report to.

Fortunately just before the hiring manager left I convinced him to send the Help File of the product I was to be involved in. He had to send it to my personal email account.

Within a month I rewrote it as I had a technical writing background. Within the next few months I delivered several solid Business Requirements Docs and the pushed me through a hiring loop to become an FTE (Full-Time Employee). I was the only person to go through the loop which I had heard was against their policy but I accepted the position and excelled in this roll until a re-org moved me unexpectedly to another position I didn't really want.

Interview Question – No real questions as they just pushed me through.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I tried to begin at a higher level but they stuck with the original offering which I accepted.

Redmond, WA

The process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in May 2008.

Interview Details – I had a one day interview consisting of 4-5 interviewers. If you do well with the team members, you will have a final interview with a GM level interviewer. During the whole time, the team is giving you a yes or no rating as they interview you. There was also a lunch interview but don't be fooled and get too comfortable. Standard interview questions with a few of those out of the box thinking questions.

Interview Question – How many pin pong balls can you fit into a warehouse?   Answer Question

Redmond, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft in July 2010.

Interview Details – Applied online, said I knew someone who worked there (true.) Lots of questions about why I had returned to Seattle after being gone many years. Was not asked the typical 'trick' Microsoft questions you find online. It seemed they really wanted experienced people who knew content (writing, grammar, etc) and throwing developer-type trick questions at interviewees was not the way to get a good hire. I showed several writing samples, etc. It was a positive experience, but I found another job before they offered me anything.

Interview Question – Why did I want to be a content editor, (more of an individual contributor) rather than a senior-level content manager?   View Answer

Cleveland, OH

The process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2011.

Interview Details – This was an on-campus interview which lasts only 30 minutes. It started with non-technical question like "Why do you wanna apply for this position", "Which programming language do you feel most comfortable with"... The the interviewer came to the technical part by asking my project experiences, OOP features, interaction experience with customers. It ended with a typical interview question, elevator design.

Interview Question – How do you design the elevator for an apartment   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Microsoft

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!

Microsoft Videos

Microsoft – Why Work for Us?

What do you want in a job? Do you want more than a paycheck? At Microsoft, you can discover potential you didn’t know you had, push your limits, turn your ideas into reality and make a real impact on the industry and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Microsoft Product Manager interview questions and advice. All 30 interview reviews posted anonymously by Microsoft employees and interview candidates.