Microsoft Program Manager II Interview Questions

Updated Jul 17, 2015

3.6

Program Manager II Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

It was not too bad. The process took about 3 weeks from A to Z. We managed to agree to a feasible salary in three negotiation iteration. Many people had similar experience when they were first hired to the company.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in June 2013.

Interview

Interviewed with 5 people none in person all were over the phone as the most of the team located outside of the Puget Sound. The questions they asked were pretty basic since it was an internal move.

Interview Questions

• Why do I think I am qualified for the role?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Bellevue, WA) in March 2012.

Interview

A recruiter reached out to me with a program manager opportunity on her team. She asked if I would be interested in a technical phone screen with the hiring manager. One week later, I spoke to the hiring manager and he described the opportunity and asked about my background. The meeting was scheduled for 60 minutes but we talked for 90. Great conversation. Recruiter called me back one week later and mentioned the team was interested in having an in-house interview. The position needed to be filled quickly so the onsite interview was scheduled for the following week. On the day of the interview - I was scheduled for 4, one on one interviews (HR, dev manager, Sr. PM, and Group Manager). The first being the HR manager who asked typical HR questions. The second interview was with the development manager who focused on my technical background and had me solve a problem the team was actively working on. I then met with the hiring manager who I had previously spoken to. I answered a few design questions on the white board before heading to the cafeteria for lunch. My last scheduled interview was with the group manager who was very personable and wanted to know my work experience/background and wanted to know my reason for wanting to work with Microsoft. Near the end of the 60 minutes, the group manager looked at his email and let me know I had one more interview that day. He escorted me down to the reception area and I would meet with another person in 90 minutes. Turns out it was the Division Manager, I guess things were going well. After the interview, I was lead to the lobby and told I would hear from HR within 5-10 days. Overall, the team had a great dynamic and were very outgoing and encouraging. They were very eager to answer questions and tell me the great benefits of working with Microsoft. The HR manager called me back within 3 days and offered me the job.

Interview Questions

• What's my favorite website? What do I like about it? How would I improve it?   Answer Question
    • Describe something within my career that I was most proud of? What did I learn from the process? How would I have made it better?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in November 2011.

Interview

The interviewer is very friendly, he asked two questions, one is problem solving and the other is design problem: 1. what is the angle between minute hand and hour hand when time is x hour and y minute. 2. Design the expedia for airport. These are all traditional interview questions and the second round for the PM intern position is on-site interview at Seattle headquarter. Microsoft is a very generous company!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in April 2011.

Interview

Since I was in Europe I had four online meetings via Lync. The first three were with the Program Manager Leads and they gave me a real world problem that could be solved in different ways. I had to go through the process to get to a solution. That included asking questions to stakeholders, brainstorming and coming up with a solution. It was fun to do the interview.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No room for negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in April 2009.

Interview

I had 6 interviews, 5 during the first day and then a last one called "as appropriate". The last one means you basically passed the interview process and get a chance to get to know the GM of the unit to ask some though questions (both ways). The questions during the interview ranged from behavioral skills to technical details. It wasn't uncommon to talk about past experiences and challenges, reasons to join the group, design scenarios and coding challenges. Overall I felt the interview very professional and timely.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Yes. Microsoft has deep pockets and has a very wide range of negotiation possibilities (stock awards, signing bonus, salary, etc)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in December 2008.

Interview

Phone screen with the recruiter was primarily around scheduling. Interview was the standard day long affair with a good hour and a half spent waiting in the lobby due to scheduling problems. I find that to be fairly tacky, I'd never allow it for my candidates, but that is how Microsoft does things. Interviews were fairly easy, some design questions which are typically won by having a good stream of ideas and the ability to defend some of the ideas (I don't think most interviewers consider it a bad thing if you reject one of your own ideas). Interviewers would sometimes throw random analytical problems at me as a response to something I'd said. For example, we were talking about ordering of search results and he asked out of the blue how many possible orderings there were of a list of n search results (hint: n!). Microsoft interview feedback is all sent immediately upon completion of the interview so the following interviews sometimes touched on information in the previous ones (also: it is important to do well on the first few because their hire/no-hire suggestions will influence following interview results).

Interview Questions

• design an experiment to optimize the quality of search results on a google-like search engine.   Answer Question

Negotiation

After reviewing their salary curve (it has been leaked on line) and talking to people currently employed there, I decided the salary was as good as I'd get so asked for a higher signing bonus which they agreed to within hours. Perhaps I should have asked for more.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in August 2008.

Interview

The interviews over the phone and face to face were smooth, but quite tiring. I had 5 interviews face to face in Redmond, and I was asked technical (pseudo code) and program management questions. I talked with developers, testers, and PMs. The interviewers were very friendly, and were able to feel relaxed, helping me to answer questions more clearly.

Interview Questions

• How would you make other people on different teams to follow a schedule that you set, knowing that they don't report to you, and have different priorities?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I found out that you cannot negotiate extra vacation days, since I was told it is company policy. Not sure if that was just in my case, since some other folks told me that they were able to get more days.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in August 2008.

Interview

It was good. i did a phone interview with the hiring manager and we decide to setup VTC (Video Telecom Conference) and I finished the interview remotely with the hiring manager, a test lead , 2 senior level manager

Interview Questions

• If give you 1 million $ and ask you to change 1 thing for search, what would you do?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (New York, NY) in November 2007.

Interview

Three interviews scheduled ahead of time with a list of names and titles given in advance. At the end of the third interview I was told there would be a fourth and final interview. Each interview lasted about an hour and it helped to have some snacks and soda throughout the day for stamina. Lot's of general program manager'ish type questions and it helped that I read The Zen of Program Management in advance to answer these. Not too many logic or case study type questions.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Received an additional $5,000.00 after holding back a few days on accepting the offer.