Microsoft

Average Difficulty
48 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Bellevue, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in April 2014.

Interview Details – My initial interview was at my university's campus and lasted approximately 30 minutes. My interviewer was 20 minutes late.. He asked me two questions: 1) What is the biggest technical challenge that you are proud of overcoming? 2) How many elevators do you need for a building (after asking some questions, the building is 40 floors - first 10 floors are retail, the next 20 are corporate, and the top 10 are residential)? 4 weeks later, I finally heard from an interview scheduler that I've made it to the final round interview in Redmond, WA. I had a pending offer so they worked with me to get up there as quickly as possible. They covered everything including airfare, rental car, food, and lodging so that was nice. On interview day, I first spoke with my recruiter for less than 10 minutes. I was rushed to the Bellevue office because of the time it took to get there. I ended up hanging in the waiting room for 30 minutes before I was called. The first interviewer asked me a few questions about my resume and then two technical-ish questions. First one was how would I improve the elevator and the second was to write a program to find the area of the intersection of two rectangles. I didn't have any breaks in between any of my interviews. The second interviewer asked me detailed questions about a project on my resume. He then gave me a scenario with a manager, a dev team, and a customer group. The manager wants me, the PM, to increase revenue by $1mil however way I can. The customer wants to increase by $2mil but they will provide resources. The dev team says that they can do $1mil but it won't be immediate. How do you handle the situation? I guess the main point was to notice that the $2mil is actually not better than $1mil because they will be providing more workers than the dev team would've. I didn't make that realization so that probably is where I lost the position. The next interviewer was late by about 15 min (so I guess I did get some break). We ate lunch and just talked about what I like about Bing and what I don't like and random stuff like what I do for fun. We then went back to his office and talked about things on my resume. He then asked me how I would improve the elevator there. They seem to really like questions about elevators. He then told me that I was done for the day and could head back to the recruiting building. I knew at that point I didn't get it since I only got 3 interviews. They got back to me the next day via email that I didn't get it. Overall, it was a good experience and I hope to try again for full-time in the future.

Interview Question – You are given two rectangles. Write a program to find the area of the intersection.   Answer Question

Redmond, WA

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in February 2014.

Interview Details – One phone screen, and then onsite interview in Redmond. Phone screen was fairly basic, we just went over resume and a brainteaser. Redmond interviews were four one-on-ones. A mix of design questions, resume review, behavioral questions, coding questions, and just general chatting. Heard back the day after the onsite interview.

Interview Question – Write a program to print out the first n primes.   View Answers (2)

Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in January 2014.

Interview Details – 30 mins on campus interview with an engineer, who asked 1 technical question (algorithms) and a product design question. On-site interviews: 4 separate interviews with different program managers within one group, much less scary than I thought it was going to be. The interviews want to see how you think, and they don't expect you to come up with the right answers right away.

Interview Question – Design an elevator system.   Answer Question

Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Microsoft in January 2014.

Interview Details – I applied through my school's career website in October. In mid-December, I received an email from a recruiter for a phone interview. This interview lasted about 30 minutes and consisted of behavior questions and a few technical/critical thinking questions. Overall, the interviewer was very nice and helpful throughout the questions which made the interview go well. Since the holiday season was very close to my phone interview date, I had to wait a little longer to get results, at least that's what they said. During the second week in January, I received an email congratulating and saying that I will move onto the final round of interviews. I was then informed that I would be going out to Redmond in a week later for the on-site interviews.

With just a little bit of information from me, they were able to book the trip for me and I did not have much to do. Once in Redmond for the interviews, we met with our recruiters and they introduced themselves to us. We were then taken by a concierge to The Commons to eat lunch around 11:30. He also showed us a little bit of the campus. After eating lunch, we were guided to explore a little more before we went to the Company Store. We had to be back to the first building by 1 for the start of interviews. Once back, individual people came out to get us for a 1 on 1 interview. Each interview was about 45 minutes with 15 minute breaks in-between where you can play Xbox, use a Surface, snack, or relax on the couch. Half way through, we got a longer break to relax or do whatever.

After all of the interviews concluded, we were told that we would be notified within the next week if we were offered a position.

They pay for your meals and fun activities too! So have fun!

Interview Question – What are the 3 concepts of a Program Manager? (I didn't know the specific words he was looking for, but I had the concepts) Everything else was manageable.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Since it's an internship, no negotiations. But it's a GREAT offer anyways.

Program Manager - Intern Interview

Program Manager - Intern

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details – Microsoft visited my school campus during the career fair. I spoke to them and said I would like to be considered for the Program manager internship. I had a campus interview where I was asked to design a product review system for an online seller like Amazon, Ebay etc. I just had to come up with unique ideas and defend it. Second round was at Redmond. It was an all day process. Had a total of 4 rounds. First round guy asked me a tech question: write a program to find out the angular difference between hour and minute hands of the clock for a particular time. Second guy asked me to design a inventory management system. Third guy asked me to design a GPS system embedded within a car and the fourth guy asked me to design a system that managed customer issues more effectively.

Interview Question – This was the most trickiest part, I never felt any question was the toughest as all of them were open ended. Infact, it was only the first question in which I fumbled a bit because I wasn't really counting on my tech skills for this position. The second time, I feel I slipped a bit was I was thinking on how to implement a GPS embedded within a car and the interviewer said 'keep talking.. keep talking'. other then that I felt it was a smooth interview.   Answer Question

Madison, WI

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Microsoft in September 2013.

Interview Details – Visited their booth at the career fair at first and contacted by the recruiter to schedule the interview on campus and it was about 45 mins long. The engineer seems not very friendly tho and asked me about 2 behaviour question and 2 technical question

Interview Question – how to swap two bits in the linked list and how to sort an array of integer with linear complexity   Answer Question

Program Manager Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details – 1. Behavioral questions
2. Write code to determine if a given string is a palindrome

Microsoft took more than a month to get back to me saying I wouldn't be considered for further interviews

Redmond, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2013.

Interview Details – I attended an information session given by my university's Microsoft recruiter. I met her afterwards, gave her my resume, and was informed a few months later that I was to be scheduled with a preliminary interview. I met with a gentleman for 45 minutes and he asked me fairly easy questions: how would I reverse a string, how would I design a high-level game, and just to talk about my leadership experience. After that, I received an email informing me that I would be flown to Redmond and accommodated for a few days while I had an onsite interview at the Microsoft HQ. The experience was incredible - the campus is gorgeous and the people were brilliant. I was interviewing for the OCS team in Office, and met with three different interviewers throughout the day. Each interview, typically, lasted around 45 minutes and had me answering one design question and a shorter, more abstract algorithm question. The questions weren't too tough, but I could've done better. Just more things to learn!

Interview Question – Make a better movie theatre kiosk.   View Answer

Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft in January 2013.

Interview Details – First on-campus interview, I was asked to talk about past experiences. Then on-site interviews with 3 people. First one asked me a design question and the second interviewer asked me a coding question. The third interviewer just talked about the company and my past experiences and we did the interview during lunch time.

Interview Question – Design a clock service which can be connected with wifi and internet.   View Answer

Stanford, CA

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2013.

Interview Details – I submitted my name at an on-campus job fair, and later followed up by applying online. I was contacted via email within 2 weeks about scheduling an in-person, on-campus interview. The on-campus interview was with an experienced software engineer, and was scheduled to last 30 minutes. It lasted a little longer than that (35 minutes?).

Interview Questions

• 1. Tell me about yourself and why you'd like to work at Microsoft.   Answer Question
  • 2. If you know what time it is, write an algorithm that would tell you the smallest angle between the minute and hour hand on a clock.   Answer Question
  • 3. (I had mentioned an interest in Wikipedia.) Wikipedia has been in the press lately, because they're accusing some editors of writing biased articles for payment. How would you detect those edits/editors?   Answer Question
  • 4. How would you design a traffic app that gave directions, and also used information about the cost of tolls, the cost of carpool lane fines, and the likelihood of getting a ticket/carpool lane fine?   Answer Question

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!