Microsoft Program Manager Intern Interview Questions

3.4

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in April 2010.

Interview

First round was a phone interview through university recruiting (behavioral questions). Got the results within two weeks that I made the cut. Then the long wait began... Months later, I finally got another call for the second round on-site interview in Redmond, WA. In Redmond, they got me a rental car and nice hotel. Very beautiful city... I had a total of 4 interviews. The first was non-technical, but the rest were technical. So be prepared to code. The people working there were nice and they seem to have flexible work schedules.

Interview Questions

• A situation of a technical problem encountered years ago, and figure out a way to solve it.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in October 2012.

Interview

I was shortlisted for on-campus interviews after talking to a recruiter at a career fair. They paid for everything for my days out there. The day of the interview I spoke with a recruiter and 3 program managers. The first was over lunch, but do not think the lunch interview is soft. I took about two bites of my lunch before receiving 2 design questions, an estimation question, and an algorithms question in quick succession with the interviewer repeatedly saying "you're out of time we're moving on." I had to run over to my next interview because we ran over during lunch. This was basically a single design question in a room with a giant whiteboard. After that, I had about an hour downtime to walk around before my final interview with a senior guy on the team. This was again in a room with a big whiteboard.

Interview Questions

• We're redesigning McDonald's so that you order at your table (which are now touchscreens). Design the touchscreen.   Answer Question
    • Design a spice rack for the blind.   Answer Question
    • How many Ultimate Frisbee players are there in the United States?   Answer Question
    • Write the algorithm for the paintbucket tool in MS Paint.   Answer Question
    • Design a "share with" tool for Sharepoint to suggest potential recipients.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 9+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

On campus University Recruiting:
    Talked to the recruiter about my experience in web design and the projects I've worked on, he took my resume.

Invited to on campus interning information talk:
    Gave me information about each of the positions and made me select which I wanted to apply for - I picked Program Manager.

On University campus round 1 interview:
    The interview was heavy on Object Oriented Programming and Data Structures.

On Redmond Campus round 2 interview:
    The interview was from 9am until 4pm and I was interview by 4 different people of increasingly higher rank(position) each time.
    *Advice - during each break they will ask if you want coffee, always say yes. You need to stay excited and alert. Take this as an opportunity to have a good time and show them how excited you are to be there. Don't let yourself get tired or cranky. They will beat you down at the end, don't give up and don't ever get angry.

Interview Questions

• He asked me if I were to design windows, as in like the file explorer windows and image windows, what data structure would I use.
      He asked me how would clicking windows work.
      He then asked me what if I had countless number of these windows, how would my implementation need to change.
      He then asked me how to measure the Big-O of my data structure and some other efficiency questions.
      *Advice - talk to them through the process, use sudo code (the less time you waste on syntax the better cause they don't care), ask them lots of questions to clarify what they want.

Answer Question
    • Programming questions: I was asked to make a simple function. Then I was asked to make another function that is not so simple.
      *Advice, use the easier function to solver the larger general problem that also solves the harder function.

Answer Question
    • Out of the box questions: I was asked to make a calendar out of 2 6 sided cubes.
      *Advice, Think as out of the box as possible, walk them through your ideas and solutions, draw pictures if possible. Ask questions!

1 Answer
    • Design question (more specific to pm): He talked to me for a bit when the topic of github came up, he then asked me "Come up with 5 ways that you would make github better." Everytime I came up with something he would try to conquer me and make me feel like my idea is ridiculous and that it probably won't work. They will look for holes and they will ry to make you cave in and give up on your ideas.
      *Advice, it is very hard to come up with design ideas but try thinking about Microsoft products and what goals they achieve to see if you can incorporate them in your ideas. DON'T GIVE IN, just cause they are questions you and trying to make you cave in doesn't mean your idea is bad, stand your ground but use reasons to defend your ideas. Draw pictures.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in November 2013.

Interview

Microsoft is very organized and helpful in their hiring process.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in October 2012.

Interview

I got on the email list of a college recruiter - was recommended by classmates for the position. Decided to apply online, heard within the week that they'd like a phone interview. I had a half-hour conversation with a recruiter that consisted of basic HR questions (are you eligible to work in the US, etc.) and one PM-type question. I was then invited to come to Redmond for an on-site interview. Met with four Program Managers over the course of the day, got asked lots of questions about my background and how I viewed the design process. Microsoft paid for everything - airfare, hotel, rental car, food during the stay, etc. Found out a week later that I had an offer from them.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Internship - the package was generous enough, no need to negotiate.

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in November 2011.

Interview

I submitted my Resume at a Career Fair and got contacted by a recruiter to do a phone screen. That was all business as usual. I then got invited out to the Microsoft campus to do a series of interviews (I was told between 3-5 for intern interviews). All expenses paid, etc.

Overall pretty solid. Third interview was the hardest and I think is the one that prevented me from getting an offer.

Fourth interview asked me a lot of questions related to vision/the future which I thought was interesting. Unfortunately, she only gave me a little over half the time of a regular interview because she had to go to a meeting or something. Unfortunate and frustrating because I felt rushed and don't think I was able to fully make up my lackluster performance from the third interview.

Interview Questions

• Design app to let students say what classes they've attended that week   Answer Question
    • Retirement home gets 100 tablets. What do you do with them?   Answer Question
    • Design "find a person" website to find Ellis Island immigrants   Answer Question
    • What does a college dorm look like in 10 years?   1 Answer
    • What big thing do you want to be involved in at Microsoft?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft (Bellevue, WA) in November 2011.

Interview

Had an on-campus interview that was essentially all fit, got an on-site through that. On-site interview was with Windows group, 4 back to back. Was asked coding questions in 2 of them, including one about writing a program in C++ to do matrix multiplication.

One interviewer was extremely rude, ridiculing my answers to all of his fit questions and giving me an extremely vague coding question about how to program an elevator control unit. Got upset when I asked him for details about the specs.

Interview Questions

• Write me a program to perform matrix multiplication of two square matrices   Answer Question
    • Design and code for me an elevator control unit   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft (Seattle, WA) in December 2011.

Interview

First interview was on-campus. Asked:
      - tell me about yourself
      - design a dictionary (what structure/methods would you use)
      - what's your favorite Microsoft product / what do you use the most
      - what are three things you'd improve on it.
    Second round flew to Seattle for Four Interviews in one-day: (all ambiguous design questions)
      - design a Mobile App for a workout facility that improves client engagement
      - design a real-time App that pulls in data, but has a small bandwidth connection
      - design an algorithm to find every word in a 4*4 box (like words with friends)
      - design a website that sells tickets (front & back end)

Interview Questions

• design an algorithm to find every word in a 4*4 box (like words with friends)   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in December 2011.

Interview

After the on-campus interviews, I was selected to take part in an on-campus interview. They flew me out to Redmond and provided hotel and food costs. There were a couple dozen other people interviewing that day at the same time, though best I could tell everyone was interviewing with different groups within Microsoft. I interview with the Office group.

As the position was a Program Manager, I got asked mainly design-related questions. I interviewed with four people: three managers and one PM. Whiteboards were provided to show my thought processes and work; the interviewers were more interested in hearing me work through the problem than if I reached the "right" solution, though I'm sure that's still important. Each interview was about an hour long, and there was a little downtime between them.

I had issues (apparently) with seeing the big picture when designing a solution and had a tendency to get hung up on details that are unimportant during design.

I was not offered a position at the end of it, though the experience was overall very positive. The whole process took about 6 hours, and was mentally exhausting.

Some of the questions I was asked:
    1. Design a tablet app I would use in the kitchen.
    2. Describe the most complicated technical problem you've faced.
    3. Pick a piece of software with a UI problem, and how you would solve it.
    4. Describe in as much detail as possible what happens between when a user submits a URL to a web browser and that page is displayed.
    5. Design a GPS system for 16 year olds.

Interview Questions

• Design a tablet app I would use in the kitchen.   1 Answer
    • Describe the most complicated technical problem you've faced.   Answer Question
    • Pick a piece of software with a UI problem, and how you would solve it.   Answer Question
    • Describe in as much detail as possible what happens between when a user submits a URL to a web browser and that page is displayed.   1 Answer
    • Design a GPS system for 16 year olds.   1 Answer

Program Manager Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in February 2011.

Interview

The difficulty of the coding/technical question(s) will depend on what position you are applying for and what round of interview it is.

Overall, Microsoft asks very ambiguous questions to see what you will say. The first interview seemed much more qualifications based than behavioral based. Was 30 minutes long.