Microsoft Program Manager Intern Interview Questions

Updated Apr 28, 2014

3.4

48 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Microsoft in November 2013.

On-campus interview that lasted about 25 minutes. Was asked to talk about a few things on my resume, and then to write a code to remove duplicates from an array. Didn't feel very good about the coding session--my answer seemed inefficient.

Apparently they agreed that I was better at talking than I was at coding, as they asked me to fly out for the PM role. Once there, I was placed in an interview group of ~20 other candidates. One thing that was strange about our experience was that instead of the typical variable number of interviews, we were all given 4 (and told that we would be). They also guaranteed us results after lunch, which was both a relief and extra stressful.

Interview one: we chatted for a while and then talked through a problem regarding system updates and server communication (the keys to this one were asking questions that made clear what each party knew and also understanding the priorities of the different updates).

Interview two: My worst interview. Talked about solving Seattle's traffic problems (a "see how you think" kind of problem) and then had a shortest-path algorithm variant. I picked a poor approach for the latter but corrected myself with a simpler and cleaner answer before the interview was over.

Interview three: Write an algorithm to solve a NYT-style cryptogram (actually I have no idea if these are real or not--I have never heard of them). Then, design an app. Then, make money off of it (ads don't count). A really fun interview, as he and I kept building off each other's ideas.

Interview four: Design a parking lot system (with some additional specifications). The keys were A) to not overcomplicate things, as the users crave simplicity, not technology, and B) to recognize that ultimately the system isn't worth implementing from management's standpoint, since the improvements wouldn't affect productivity.

We went to lunch, and then came back to learn our fates!

Interview Questions
  • Didn't expect the cryptogram question, since it had more technical aspects than I was expecting given the first couple of interviews.   Answer Question
They have a set salary for PM interns (which differs from that of the other intern positions), so no negotiation.

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in November 2013.

1 on-campus interview, then an onsite consisting of 4 interviews (3 with PMs, last one with a manager). If you don't make it to the 4th interview, you'll likely not get an offer. First on-campus round asked basic coding questions, and which position (PM, SDET, SDE) I was interested in. In the on-side, questions were mostly design/business/management related (how would you handle not being able to meet a deadline, design a website for X, you're the manager of X company and hear this feedback about your product, what would you do?) as well as basic algorithms. It was overall a great experience on-site, as they pay for sightseeing/etc, there are lots of other intern interviewees there. Everyone was very friendly, great company culture.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was particularly out of the blue, although I was taken aback when asked about my strenghts/weaknesses (as I usually interview for technical positions where they don't ask that type of question).   Answer Question

Took a SWE internship at Google instead

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in November 2013.

Microsoft is very organized and helpful in their hiring process.

Program Manager Intern Interview

Applied at a career fair at my university. Did one round of interviews at my college then received an email telling me I was invited to Redmond for on-site interviews. Spent 9-5 at the Microsoft campus and had 4 interviews with Program Managers in the MS Office department. Gave me complimentary lunch, so that was nice.

Interview Questions
    • Several questions asking me to design software or hardware products, and a couple programming questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Stanford, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stanford, CA

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2013.

I submitted my name at an on-campus job fair, and later followed up by applying online. I was contacted via email within 2 weeks about scheduling an in-person, on-campus interview. The on-campus interview was with an experienced software engineer, and was scheduled to last 30 minutes. It lasted a little longer than that (35 minutes?).

Interview Questions
    • 1. Tell me about yourself and why you'd like to work at Microsoft.   Answer Question
    • 2. If you know what time it is, write an algorithm that would tell you the smallest angle between the minute and hour hand on a clock.   Answer Question
    • 3. (I had mentioned an interest in Wikipedia.) Wikipedia has been in the press lately, because they're accusing some editors of writing biased articles for payment. How would you detect those edits/editors?   Answer Question
    • 4. How would you design a traffic app that gave directions, and also used information about the cost of tolls, the cost of carpool lane fines, and the likelihood of getting a ticket/carpool lane fine?   Answer Question

Program Manager Intern Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2013.

I was contacted on LinkedIn by a Microsoft recruiter, and encouraged to apply to their summer internship program. I had a phone interview a couple weeks later. The interview consisted of some behavioral/background questions. However, most of the questions were puzzles, riddles and design questions. There were no programming questions.

Program Manager Intern Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2013.

The interviewer was very kind and definitely seemed to be on my side. If I was getting close to an answer, she would hint a bit until I caught on. There was one behavioral and technical interview, which would lead to a technical interview in Redmond.

Interview Questions
    • I didn't have to write code, but I was asked to figure out about four different ways to take in a string and remove all duplicate characters. I had to talk about the benefits and running time of each algorithm I came up with.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2013.

I attended an information session given by my university's Microsoft recruiter. I met her afterwards, gave her my resume, and was informed a few months later that I was to be scheduled with a preliminary interview. I met with a gentleman for 45 minutes and he asked me fairly easy questions: how would I reverse a string, how would I design a high-level game, and just to talk about my leadership experience. After that, I received an email informing me that I would be flown to Redmond and accommodated for a few days while I had an onsite interview at the Microsoft HQ. The experience was incredible - the campus is gorgeous and the people were brilliant. I was interviewing for the OCS team in Office, and met with three different interviewers throughout the day. Each interview, typically, lasted around 45 minutes and had me answering one design question and a shorter, more abstract algorithm question. The questions weren't too tough, but I could've done better. Just more things to learn!

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Madison, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Microsoft in September 2013.

Visited their booth at the career fair at first and contacted by the recruiter to schedule the interview on campus and it was about 45 mins long. The engineer seems not very friendly tho and asked me about 2 behaviour question and 2 technical question

Interview Questions
    • how to swap two bits in the linked list and how to sort an array of integer with linear complexity   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 9 months - interviewed at Microsoft.

On campus University Recruiting:
    Talked to the recruiter about my experience in web design and the projects I've worked on, he took my resume.

Invited to on campus interning information talk:
    Gave me information about each of the positions and made me select which I wanted to apply for - I picked Program Manager.

On University campus round 1 interview:
    The interview was heavy on Object Oriented Programming and Data Structures.

On Redmond Campus round 2 interview:
    The interview was from 9am until 4pm and I was interview by 4 different people of increasingly higher rank(position) each time.
    *Advice - during each break they will ask if you want coffee, always say yes. You need to stay excited and alert. Take this as an opportunity to have a good time and show them how excited you are to be there. Don't let yourself get tired or cranky. They will beat you down at the end, don't give up and don't ever get angry.

Interview Questions
    • He asked me if I were to design windows, as in like the file explorer windows and image windows, what data structure would I use.
      He asked me how would clicking windows work.
      He then asked me what if I had countless number of these windows, how would my implementation need to change.
      He then asked me how to measure the Big-O of my data structure and some other efficiency questions.
      *Advice - talk to them through the process, use sudo code (the less time you waste on syntax the better cause they don't care), ask them lots of questions to clarify what they want.
        Answer Question
    • Programming questions: I was asked to make a simple function. Then I was asked to make another function that is not so simple.
      *Advice, use the easier function to solver the larger general problem that also solves the harder function.
        Answer Question
    • Out of the box questions: I was asked to make a calendar out of 2 6 sided cubes.
      *Advice, Think as out of the box as possible, walk them through your ideas and solutions, draw pictures if possible. Ask questions!
        View Answer
    • Design question (more specific to pm): He talked to me for a bit when the topic of github came up, he then asked me "Come up with 5 ways that you would make github better." Everytime I came up with something he would try to conquer me and make me feel like my idea is ridiculous and that it probably won't work. They will look for holes and they will ry to make you cave in and give up on your ideas.
      *Advice, it is very hard to come up with design ideas but try thinking about Microsoft products and what goals they achieve to see if you can incorporate them in your ideas. DON'T GIVE IN, just cause they are questions you and trying to make you cave in doesn't mean your idea is bad, stand your ground but use reasons to defend your ideas. Draw pictures.