Microsoft Program Manager Intern Interview Questions & Reviews

48 interviews

3.4

48 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Program Manager Intern Interview

Phone screen, on campus interviews, then on-site. Pretty standard process. Asked many questions about designing things. I thought that it was important to ask questions back.

The technical questions were fairly easy. Standard recursion questions, and tree traversing.

Final round interviews were 45 min each. There were three of them.

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in November 2013.

Microsoft is very organized and helpful in their hiring process.

Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 8 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in December 2013.

Interviewed on-campus for my 1st round.

After that, they responded after almost a 4 weeks, stating that I had been selected and was invited to the Redmond campus. They also sent a few other emails which took care of different things like transportation, accommodations (for those who need them), etc.

During this time, I wasn't informed about the team I would be interviewing with.

On the interview day, the entire process was pretty smooth and on time.

I was asked to report to the office by 11:30 AM for check in (Building 111). Once there, they took care of all our bags/ belongings and we were free to mingle with other, try out the xbox in the lounge and do other stuff.

At 11:30 AM, we were taken for a short 5 minute walk to the cafeteria, and were given $10 single-use-coupons for lunch.
    We returned to the lounge back after that and our interviews started at 1:00 PM.

The interview process:

We had 4 rounds, 45 minutes each, with a break 10 minutes in between them.

For me, all 4 were design questions.

Questions:

1. The general ones: tell me about yourself, why MSFT, etc.
    2. Design a rubix cube app for a mobile phone.
    3. Design an app for the game Boggle for a tablet.
    4. Design a university book store website.
    5. Design a To-Do list app. Choose the device and explain your choice.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Redmond, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at Microsoft in November 2013.

On-campus interview that lasted about 25 minutes. Was asked to talk about a few things on my resume, and then to write a code to remove duplicates from an array. Didn't feel very good about the coding session--my answer seemed inefficient.

Apparently they agreed that I was better at talking than I was at coding, as they asked me to fly out for the PM role. Once there, I was placed in an interview group of ~20 other candidates. One thing that was strange about our experience was that instead of the typical variable number of interviews, we were all given 4 (and told that we would be). They also guaranteed us results after lunch, which was both a relief and extra stressful.

Interview one: we chatted for a while and then talked through a problem regarding system updates and server communication (the keys to this one were asking questions that made clear what each party knew and also understanding the priorities of the different updates).

Interview two: My worst interview. Talked about solving Seattle's traffic problems (a "see how you think" kind of problem) and then had a shortest-path algorithm variant. I picked a poor approach for the latter but corrected myself with a simpler and cleaner answer before the interview was over.

Interview three: Write an algorithm to solve a NYT-style cryptogram (actually I have no idea if these are real or not--I have never heard of them). Then, design an app. Then, make money off of it (ads don't count). A really fun interview, as he and I kept building off each other's ideas.

Interview four: Design a parking lot system (with some additional specifications). The keys were A) to not overcomplicate things, as the users crave simplicity, not technology, and B) to recognize that ultimately the system isn't worth implementing from management's standpoint, since the improvements wouldn't affect productivity.

We went to lunch, and then came back to learn our fates!

Interview Questions
    • Didn't expect the cryptogram question, since it had more technical aspects than I was expecting given the first couple of interviews.   Answer Question
    They have a set salary for PM interns (which differs from that of the other intern positions), so no negotiation.

Anonymous Employee  in  Redmond, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in November 2013.

1 on-campus interview, then an onsite consisting of 4 interviews (3 with PMs, last one with a manager). If you don't make it to the 4th interview, you'll likely not get an offer. First on-campus round asked basic coding questions, and which position (PM, SDET, SDE) I was interested in. In the on-side, questions were mostly design/business/management related (how would you handle not being able to meet a deadline, design a website for X, you're the manager of X company and hear this feedback about your product, what would you do?) as well as basic algorithms. It was overall a great experience on-site, as they pay for sightseeing/etc, there are lots of other intern interviewees there. Everyone was very friendly, great company culture.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was particularly out of the blue, although I was taken aback when asked about my strenghts/weaknesses (as I usually interview for technical positions where they don't ask that type of question).   Answer Question

Took a SWE internship at Google instead

Program Manager Intern Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Microsoft.

Applied online, had one on campus interview and then flew to Redmond for 4 additional interviews.

Program Manager Intern Interview

Microsoft came to the career fair at my university. I talked with one of the recruiters there, and was offered an on-campus interview for the next day.
    The interview was supposed to be 30 minutes, but I was the last interview for the day, so we talked for about 45 minutes.
    First my interviewer asked me about my projects and experiences. Then he asked me about some technology that I liked, and ways to improve it. Somehow we got into a discussion about UI design. He asked me to design a smartphone home screen.
    I got one programming question in the end on array manipulation. It was pretty easy. I came up with a solution, and he asked me to put it into code.
    Several weeks later, I got an email about a final round interview at Redmond.

Interview Questions
    • You have an array of red balls and blue balls. Sort them in linear time and constant space so that all the red balls are in the front, and all the blue balls in the back.   View Answers (2)

Program Manager Intern Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2013.

I was contacted on LinkedIn by a Microsoft recruiter, and encouraged to apply to their summer internship program. I had a phone interview a couple weeks later. The interview consisted of some behavioral/background questions. However, most of the questions were puzzles, riddles and design questions. There were no programming questions.

Program Manager Intern Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2013.

The interviewer was very kind and definitely seemed to be on my side. If I was getting close to an answer, she would hint a bit until I caught on. There was one behavioral and technical interview, which would lead to a technical interview in Redmond.

Interview Questions
    • I didn't have to write code, but I was asked to figure out about four different ways to take in a string and remove all duplicate characters. I had to talk about the benefits and running time of each algorithm I came up with.   Answer Question

Program Manager Intern Interview

Applied at a career fair at my university. Did one round of interviews at my college then received an email telling me I was invited to Redmond for on-site interviews. Spent 9-5 at the Microsoft campus and had 4 interviews with Program Managers in the MS Office department. Gave me complimentary lunch, so that was nice.

Interview Questions
    • Several questions asking me to design software or hardware products, and a couple programming questions.   Answer Question