Microsoft Program Manager Intern Interview Questions

3.4

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Charlotte, NC).

Interview

On campus interview, phone interview follow up.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in January 2013.

Interview

First on-campus interview, I was asked to talk about past experiences. Then on-site interviews with 3 people. First one asked me a design question and the second interviewer asked me a coding question. The third interviewer just talked about the company and my past experiences and we did the interview during lunch time.

Interview Questions

• Design a clock service which can be connected with wifi and internet.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in January 2013.

Interview

Phone Screen followed by four interviews in Redmond. First three went well and got to the hiring manager. The fourth one went well too, I thought. Got an email a few days later telling me that I was to be offered the position. On the day the offer was supposed to come, the recruiter called me and told me there was either a mistake made or the hiring manager changed his stance since she last checked. Thus, I was not offered the position. Then I was told that they were flying me back out for interviews with another team. I waited two weeks and sent emails, but then received an email back saying that they had filled all their PM positions for the summer. Heartbroken was an understatement as the company was very high on my list of places where I would want to intern over the summer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

The first interview was at my college. I was brought in to a room. I was asked pretty standard questions: Name a piece of software you used and didn't like. How would you change it? Redesign a whiteboard. Write me a program that tells me if a number if a power of two or not. I then got a flyout to their Redmond campus. There, I had five interviews. The first focused on my experience on teams and as a leader: Tell me about a time you were the leader of a team and succeeded. Tell me about a time you were the leader of a team and failed. My second interview was more technical: Tell me about how C# helps you implement a singleton. Describe the difference between a deadlock and a race condition. Design a class structure for a birthday party. My third interview was over lunch. My interviewer and I talked a lot about the new Twitter app on the iPhone. He asked me what I liked about it and what I didn't like. When we went back to his office, he asked me: Redesign the checked bag experience at an airport. I forget my fourth interview. My fifth interviewer asked me about software I like, and drilled my hard about why I liked it. I talked about why I like the Windows Phone interface, and she had me thoroughly analyze why I like it.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you were a leader and were unsuccessful.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Offers are non-negotiable. The offer is awesome.

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in December 2012.

Interview

I had a longer review written but glassdoor would not process my request so this one will be shorter. Submitted by resume to a recruiter who came to my school, had a phone interview, and received an email three days later to fly to Seattle, three weeks after receipt of the email. The recruiter was very helpful in ensuring I had the exact flight I wanted. The recruits are put into a medium-sized room, with some distracting things (the original MS Surface, the new MS Surface, Xbox 360, etc.). There are four 45 minute interviews with 15 minute breaks in between. The interviewers come out at the same time, call your name, and take you to their interrogation rooms. After the interview, you go back to the room with the other recruits and sit there nervously playing Xbox for 15 minutes until the next interview. The interview questions weren't particularly difficult, certainly easy enough to do in a proper setting for a programming project. Even though I don't get nervous during interviews, however, it is still difficult to do these questions in front of a whiteboard to the interviewer. It was hard to properly articulate my entire thought process, especially if I noticed I made an error or a broad assumption earlier on. Overall it was a very good experience. The recruiters were professional, very helpful with travel arrangements, and microsoft pays for the flight, taxi, hotel, and food (submit reimbursement for food later on). I was happy to get to go to Seattle as I had never been out west before, and most importantly I know I can ace the FT interview next year.

Interview Questions

• Given a 4x4 grid of letters, find every possible word. Design a doggy door.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in October 2012.

Interview

I got on the email list of a college recruiter - was recommended by classmates for the position. Decided to apply online, heard within the week that they'd like a phone interview. I had a half-hour conversation with a recruiter that consisted of basic HR questions (are you eligible to work in the US, etc.) and one PM-type question. I was then invited to come to Redmond for an on-site interview. Met with four Program Managers over the course of the day, got asked lots of questions about my background and how I viewed the design process. Microsoft paid for everything - airfare, hotel, rental car, food during the stay, etc. Found out a week later that I had an offer from them.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Internship - the package was generous enough, no need to negotiate.

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in October 2012.

Interview

I was shortlisted for on-campus interviews after talking to a recruiter at a career fair. They paid for everything for my days out there. The day of the interview I spoke with a recruiter and 3 program managers. The first was over lunch, but do not think the lunch interview is soft. I took about two bites of my lunch before receiving 2 design questions, an estimation question, and an algorithms question in quick succession with the interviewer repeatedly saying "you're out of time we're moving on." I had to run over to my next interview because we ran over during lunch. This was basically a single design question in a room with a giant whiteboard. After that, I had about an hour downtime to walk around before my final interview with a senior guy on the team. This was again in a room with a big whiteboard.

Interview Questions

• We're redesigning McDonald's so that you order at your table (which are now touchscreens). Design the touchscreen.   Answer Question
    • Design a spice rack for the blind.   Answer Question
    • How many Ultimate Frisbee players are there in the United States?   Answer Question
    • Write the algorithm for the paintbucket tool in MS Paint.   Answer Question
    • Design a "share with" tool for Sharepoint to suggest potential recipients.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Boston, MA) in October 2012.

Interview

Microsoft has came to my university in job fair. I gave my resume at that time and received a call from recruiter after a week about on campus interview. I had no idea how that interview will go so I prepared only basics and went for interview. Interviewer was big, tall guy with beard. He greeted me in and asked me seat. He picked up my resume and started asking questions from resume. And what are your future goals. why you want to join microsoft, i had six sigma skills mentioned in my resume so he asked me about those also. After that he asked me " how will you design a bathroom for a blind guy?" and that went for rest of the interview for about an hour. I have received a mail after a week saying that your profile right now do not match with our requirement we will call you for new openings

Interview Questions

• What do you think about microsoft products and name any change that you want to make?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Microsoft (Durham, NC) in October 2012.

Interview

I stated that I was applying for the Program manager internship at the beginning and told him about my experience in creating android apps for a Hospital. The whole interview was basically spent on how the android app was developed, the user it was developed for and the players that were involved. It was basically a thorough interview about my experience with the android product and then the interviewer moved on to such questions as what are applications that you microsoft making in the future? or What part of your experience will be most valuable to Microsoft?

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I am still waiting to hear back from them.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Microsoft (Atlanta, GA) in September 2012.

Interview

My resume was requested via email. Then I was told that I had an on-campus interview.