Microsoft

Employer Engaged

Microsoft Program Manager Intern Interview Questions

3.4

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft in December 2011.

First interview was on-campus. Asked:
  - tell me about yourself
  - design a dictionary (what structure/methods would you use)
  - what's your favorite Microsoft product / what do you use the most
  - what are three things you'd improve on it.
Second round flew to Seattle for Four Interviews in one-day: (all ambiguous design questions)
  - design a Mobile App for a workout facility that improves client engagement
  - design a real-time App that pulls in data, but has a small bandwidth connection
  - design an algorithm to find every word in a 4*4 box (like words with friends)
  - design a website that sells tickets (front & back end)

Interview Questions
  • design an algorithm to find every word in a 4*4 box (like words with friends)   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft in December 2011.

After the on-campus interviews, I was selected to take part in an on-campus interview. They flew me out to Redmond and provided hotel and food costs. There were a couple dozen other people interviewing that day at the same time, though best I could tell everyone was interviewing with different groups within Microsoft. I interview with the Office group.

As the position was a Program Manager, I got asked mainly design-related questions. I interviewed with four people: three managers and one PM. Whiteboards were provided to show my thought processes and work; the interviewers were more interested in hearing me work through the problem than if I reached the "right" solution, though I'm sure that's still important. Each interview was about an hour long, and there was a little downtime between them.

I had issues (apparently) with seeing the big picture when designing a solution and had a tendency to get hung up on details that are unimportant during design.

I was not offered a position at the end of it, though the experience was overall very positive. The whole process took about 6 hours, and was mentally exhausting.

Some of the questions I was asked:
    1. Design a tablet app I would use in the kitchen.
    2. Describe the most complicated technical problem you've faced.
    3. Pick a piece of software with a UI problem, and how you would solve it.
    4. Describe in as much detail as possible what happens between when a user submits a URL to a web browser and that page is displayed.
    5. Design a GPS system for 16 year olds.

Interview Questions
    • Design a tablet app I would use in the kitchen.   View Answer
    • Describe the most complicated technical problem you've faced.   Answer Question
    • Pick a piece of software with a UI problem, and how you would solve it.   Answer Question
    • Describe in as much detail as possible what happens between when a user submits a URL to a web browser and that page is displayed.   View Answer
    • Design a GPS system for 16 year olds.   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in November 2011.

I submitted my Resume at a Career Fair and got contacted by a recruiter to do a phone screen. That was all business as usual. I then got invited out to the Microsoft campus to do a series of interviews (I was told between 3-5 for intern interviews). All expenses paid, etc.

Overall pretty solid. Third interview was the hardest and I think is the one that prevented me from getting an offer.

Fourth interview asked me a lot of questions related to vision/the future which I thought was interesting. Unfortunately, she only gave me a little over half the time of a regular interview because she had to go to a meeting or something. Unfortunate and frustrating because I felt rushed and don't think I was able to fully make up my lackluster performance from the third interview.

Interview Questions
    • Design app to let students say what classes they've attended that week   Answer Question
    • Retirement home gets 100 tablets. What do you do with them?   Answer Question
    • Design "find a person" website to find Ellis Island immigrants   Answer Question
    • What does a college dorm look like in 10 years?   View Answer
    • What big thing do you want to be involved in at Microsoft?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft in November 2011.

Had an on-campus interview that was essentially all fit, got an on-site through that. On-site interview was with Windows group, 4 back to back. Was asked coding questions in 2 of them, including one about writing a program in C++ to do matrix multiplication.

One interviewer was extremely rude, ridiculing my answers to all of his fit questions and giving me an extremely vague coding question about how to program an elevator control unit. Got upset when I asked him for details about the specs.

Interview Questions
    • Write me a program to perform matrix multiplication of two square matrices   Answer Question
    • Design and code for me an elevator control unit   Answer Question

Intern Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft in March 2011.

Microsoft was present at my campus career fair. After a brief discussion with one of the employees present there. I was asked to submit my resume and in a few days i received a call for an interview. My interview was scheduled a week later and I appeared for two rounds. The first was analytical and the second was coding skill based. The interveiw was very comfortable but I lost oit due the lack of sufficient syntax knowledge.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in January 2011.

Submitted my resume/cover letter through campus recruiting in late fall, which led to a 30-45 min on-campus interview a few weeks later (definitely go to any info sessions beforehand--they're invaluable). This interview consisted mainly of a technical portion where the interviewer poses a typical programming exercise (string reversal, palindromes, etc) and you write the code and walk him through your process. You also discuss what roles/areas you may be suited for or interested in at MS.

A few weeks after the round 1 interview, was invited to do a second round in Redmond. They flew me out in January and put me up in a hotel for 2 nights. On the day of my interview, I met with a recruiter who briefed me on my schedule for the day.

I had 2 morning interviews with PMs, which consisted of open-ended design questions, like how would you design a sprinkler system or a catering website. They want to know your thought process and how you come to certain decisions. If you get yourself stuck, they'll help you out.

I had a lunch interview, which was behavioral, with questions on how to deal with a team that is divided on a security issue, what you would do if you made a wrong call on that issue, etc.

I met with the hiring manager briefly in the afternoon. We chatted mostly about my computer science curriculum. She was initially scheduled as my last interview, but decided to have me meet with one of her senior devs. This was another design interview, but more closely related to the work they were doing. Mostly questions regarding information that you could infer from someone's Facebook profile.

Finally, I met up with my recruiter again to wrap up. The entire day took me from 7am-6pm, as there were some delays between interviews. I received a call from my recruiter with the offer 2-3 weeks after the on-site.

Interview Questions
    I didn't have any leverage to negotiate with, so I took what they gave me. They treat their interns very well though, so I'm not complaining.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in December 2010.

For the on-site interview in Redmond I interviewed during one of the mass-interview days for the Windows/Windows Live group. I was interviewed by 4 employees. One was behavioral and the other three were mostly design questions. No programming. My group was given a campus tour and stayed in a hotel for 2 nights. Microsoft pays for food, transportation, etc. I found out the results on the same day.

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft in April 2010.

First round was a phone interview through university recruiting (behavioral questions). Got the results within two weeks that I made the cut. Then the long wait began... Months later, I finally got another call for the second round on-site interview in Redmond, WA. In Redmond, they got me a rental car and nice hotel. Very beautiful city... I had a total of 4 interviews. The first was non-technical, but the rest were technical. So be prepared to code. The people working there were nice and they seem to have flexible work schedules.

Interview Questions
    • A situation of a technical problem encountered years ago, and figure out a way to solve it.   View Answer

Program Manager (Intern) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in November 2009.

Contacted by MSFT after submitting a resume online (during their recruiting process at my university). After stressing in all of their contact with me (both in hiring presentations and in personal communications) that the program manager position was well-suited to someone with little to no programming experience but a high degree of technical skill (hardware, software, OS, network - I'm a student manager in tech support at school), my interview essentially consisted of one question. A programming question. The interviewer insisted I explain how to write a piece of code in "your language of choice" despite discussing with him two minutes prior that I had very little programming experience.

The question would have been easy if I had recently done any programming, but I hadn't. (In fact, Python, which is the only language in which I have dabbled, apparently doesn't even make use of linked lists). The entire interview consisted of the interviewer talking about himself for 15 minutes, going over my resume in under 5 minutes, and one programming question for 5 minutes. Nothing like what I had expected.

Interview Questions
    • Please write or describe in words how to remove every other entry in a linked list, in the programming language of your choice.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in June 2008.

I sent in my resume via my university's internship office. I waited 2 weeks before they first contacted me. First they did a phone interview consisting of one soft-question (about a past project) and a few technical questions. I was presented with data on a Live NetMeeting session and had to identify the relationship between data items, and later code a procedure that processes data according to the given relationship. After the phone interview I waited around 4 days before they contacted me again for an on-site interview. I already had another offer that I had to respond to, so they were kind enough and made special arrangements to speed-up the process on their end. I interviewed with 4 people from the team I would be working with from 1st level PMs & devs to the product unit manager. Only one person asked behavioral questions, while everybody else asked mostly background questions.

Interview Questions
    • What did you learn from your work on X? Did anything go wrong? What did you do about it and what did you learn?   Answer Question
    Salary is non-negotiable for internships, but I had an offer for a similar position from a major telecom and that might have helped in making the decision to hire me.