Microsoft

Updated Jan 29, 2015

3.3

304 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Program Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

Was interviewed for position in Mobile communications but misunderstood my background to be from mobile phone design as opposed to mobile network design. Had to recover from the situation with grace without making the interviewer look foolish

Interview Questions
  • Expected a different background and experience than mine   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Microsoft.

Was referred by a friend. Got an on campus interview went around 30 minutes. I am a mechanical engineer and I was asked general questions about my CV and projects that I've worked on, coding that I have done and how i managed some of my projects

Program Manager Interview

Networked with a PM at a Professional Development Night hosted by SWE. Followed up with her with a thank you note and she responded saying she forwarded my resume to my universities recruiter. Few weeks later got an invitation to an on campus interview. Waited about 3 weeks after the interview until I got invited back for a final round interview in Redmond. Have yet to hear back!

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Microsoft.

I got a referral and had an on-campus interview. The interviewer was very nice and surprisingly didn't ask anything about my resume.. He asked me to design an interactive interface inside a taxi. So we discussed different scenarios. It was fun.

Program Manager Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

Pretty straight forward - they had a few technical questions and a few product focused questions. Consisted of one interview on campus and then 4 interviews during the onsite. Didn't felt like it was overly challenging or unexpected.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft.

Applied online and was contacted by email by a recruiter designated to my university. Interviewed on my campus, about 45 minutes in length. I was asked to design an app that delivered personalized news to the user. The question, obviously, could've gone on as long as the interviewer wanted, so it became more of a conversation or discussing the features and briefly (pseudo-code) describe how I would accomplish them through a coding perspective, although I was never required to write actual code. Then was invited to interview in Seattle. The team I interviewed with there was extremely technical, and I found a disjunction between what I was expected to be able to handle, as a PM. It was extremely technical. I was asked to write 5 different programs and was barely asked questions about managing program schedules and being able to communicate details from a customer perspective, which was highly emphasized on the PM job description and during my first interview.

In the end, it was clear that the gap between my ideal PM role and that was interviewed for was too large, however I was offered a less technical role that still applied to a Computer Science major and accepted.

Program Manager Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in November 2014.

Had interview at university and then 4 rounds of interviews on campus
    a lot of design questions
    some minor coding/algorithm questions
    they really want to see how you think and design
    use the white board alot
    be ready to back your answers even if they push you
    think through edge cases

Program Manager Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

I started the process at my university's career fair. Then I had an in-person quick screening where they asked questions like "design an alarm clock for kids." Next, the company flew me out for in-person interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Most the questions are non-technical design questions like "design an elevator for a high-rise building." I did get a probability question but I fumbled with the answer so it apparently wasn't too important.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Microsoft.

Internal transfer request after completing a few stretch assignments on the PM team. Process began with an informational interview where I was encouraged to formally apply. Formal interview loop was a set of 6 back-to-back interviews with members of Dev, PdM, Services, and Test teams (most of whom I knew, one that I didn't know well). The role was for a product I had been working on for a number of years, but had been acquired by Microsoft two years prior to the interview. General consensus from Microsoft leaders was that my product group was inferior in all aspects, and that came out very clearly in the interview process.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to design a network topology for a specific use case. I'm still not sure why since the role was specific to a data analytics engine - why not ask me to propose a design for some improvement to the data platform?   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft.

Met recruiter on campus event and at another college's hackathon. After the career fair, I got an email setting up the on campus interview. It was a 30 minute 1 on 1 interview with a couple questions.