Microsoft Program Manager Interview Questions

Updated Mar 15, 2015
Updated Mar 15, 2015

3.3

Program Manager Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

Got an email for an on campus interview after career fair. The interview was in 2 parts: programming and design. He was comfortable with C and not too much with Java, the language I was comfortable in. He even asked me to program in notepad since he didnt have a java ide. The question involved pointers and memory management but in java, the JVM handles it for you so I was unable to answer. For the design question I found it hard to understand what he wanted but after asking for clarification it went pretty smooth. In the end, the interviewer was very helpful and understanding.

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Program Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Microsoft.

I got email from University recruiter offered me a phone interview, the interview is pretty straight forwarded, it was a great experience. I was offered a on-site interview later that week.

Interview Questions
    • What is the difference between managed vs. unmanaged code. Tell me about one of your projects, what type of problem did you face, how did you solve it.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in February 2015.

30-minute on-campus interview. Some tips that I could've known
    -Be prepared to answer questions about a specific Microsoft product. What is its user base? Who uses the product? How does it profit? How can it be better?
    -Know what the PM does WELL. Are you able to recite is roles? Why it is needed?

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a course in which you had a large coding project. In terms of large amounts of code.
      Tell me about another.
      How does that tie back to the program manager?
      Tell me everything you know about the program manager position.
      What are the differences between the PM and TD?
      Why does Microsoft have program managers?
      What is an application you know well and tell me about it as if you were a program manager.
      Why would Microsoft purchase Skype? What is its value?
      Why would Skype create Skype?
      Who are Skype’s competitors?

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Microsoft in January 2015.

Had a brief 30 minute interview on campus where I was given some coding and design problems. A few months later I was flown out for a final interview in Redmond. The day of interviews went from 9:00AM to 6:00PM and consisted of five interviews (and a lunch interview). I enjoyed talking with my interviewers and Microsoft goes to great lengths to ensure a pleasant experience for candidates.

Interview Questions
    • I've been asked to not repeat the interview questions however I will say that they were designed on the spot and tailored to circumstances which we discussed. Some questions were impossible scenarios and didn't have an answer. They are looking to see how you think and your confidence in your answers. Anything on your resume is fair game so ensure you truly know what it says you do.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

Was interviewed for position in Mobile communications but misunderstood my background to be from mobile phone design as opposed to mobile network design. Had to recover from the situation with grace without making the interviewer look foolish

Interview Questions
    • Expected a different background and experience than mine   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in January 2015.

Great experience for a university student! Everything started when Microsoft came to campus with some current employees and they explained the roles. Then we had an on-campus interview which determined if you were flown out to Redmond for 3-5 interviews. The entire process was paid for by Microsoft and even if you don't get an offer you still have an amazing all-expenses paid trip to Seattle!

Interview Questions
    • Design questions, make sure you are able to determine requirements for a problem   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in December 2014.

In the first campus interview they asked me resume based questions. I got a mail that I have been selected after a week. However after around 3 weeks they said that they were no more hiring Program managers. But again after 2 weeks I heard about my final round of interview. Then I got selected for on campus interview at the Redmond office where I had 4 rounds. I had very comfortable stay in the hotel arranged by Microsoft. It was a great experience all together. They were very friendly and I had a great time discussing my answers during the interviews. My suggestion would be do brush up data structure concepts as they are xpecting the program mangers to have good coding knowledge.

Interview Questions
    • In the first 2 rounds they asked behavioral questions and design question like elevator. One was a technical round where they asked me a sorting question which I typically failed to answer.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Microsoft.

Was referred by a friend. Got an on campus interview went around 30 minutes. I am a mechanical engineer and I was asked general questions about my CV and projects that I've worked on, coding that I have done and how i managed some of my projects

Program Manager Interview

Networked with a PM at a Professional Development Night hosted by SWE. Followed up with her with a thank you note and she responded saying she forwarded my resume to my universities recruiter. Few weeks later got an invitation to an on campus interview. Waited about 3 weeks after the interview until I got invited back for a final round interview in Redmond. Have yet to hear back!

Program Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Microsoft.

I got a referral and had an on-campus interview. The interviewer was very nice and surprisingly didn't ask anything about my resume.. He asked me to design an interactive interface inside a taxi. So we discussed different scenarios. It was fun.