Microsoft Program Manager Interview Questions

3.3

271 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Sunnyvale, CA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in June 2013.

standard process, be ready to answer many hypothetical questions. Be ready to answer questions around microsoft products, not services :( Hiring process is fast that way, salary negotiations only took a week for me.

Interview Questions
  • some questions are technical and you dont expect them in the product management.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Program Manager Interview

interviewed at Microsoft in September 2013.

Contacted university recruiter, she set me up with an on-campus interview. I had an hour-long interview and was setup with an on-site where they asked me PM questions (no coding). Heard back within a few (2 to 3) weeks.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft in November 2013.

Had an interview on undergraduate school campus and then was flown to seattle for an on campus interview. While in seattle, they had put me in the wrong group so I was being interviewed by test/developers who were not prepared to ask PM questions. But over all all of the interviewees were very nice and easy to talk to which was good.

Interview Questions
    • How would you design an algorithm for an elevator control system   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft.

Setup through University Recruiting.

One on campus interview. Interviewer asked me what I am passionate about and asked me to design an app for it on paper.

Next Onsite. It will be 8 hours long and 5 rounds. Two junior level PMs, one engineer, and two exec level PMs.

Asked me to design systems on whiteboards and pointed out edge cases, which I had to address in the design. Last interview with the top exec and was very pleasant conversation about why I wanted to be a PM then design a product problem.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really. Even if it comes up. Stay calm and take a moment to think about it. Always think back to the user and you'll be good.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Mostly tested on capability to think through. Hardly evaluate a person on specialized areas (unless that job is meant to be that way). They do ask situational questions to see whether u have the maturity to handle it. There is no right or wrong in many of these questions.

Interview Questions
    no. it is a preset package when I came into Microsoft.

Program Manager Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in January 2014.

I Applied through campus recruiting. Was contacted through a recruiter afterwards who then set up a date for the phone interview. The phone interview was very relaxed and didn't get very technical. The last question was a brain teaser.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2013.

I was a previous intern in IT for Microsoft and elected to interview on the Products side. I bluffed that I had standing offers with other companies which expedited my interview process. On-site interview was a full day with 6 interviewers who asked many questions and answered any I had.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you see the company and yourself in 5 years?   View Answer
    I negotiated a larger signing bonus of about 150%

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied in-person - interviewed at Microsoft.

None, I had worked on the team before and the hiring manager knew what to expect. He also had very specific tasks in mind and needed help asap. I think my language skills came into play as this was a China project. I speak Mandarin natively.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Microsoft in March 2014.

The interview process was a great experience. My initial interview was an on campus interview where we discussed some of the information on my resume as well as the infamous why Microsoft question. We touched a little on coding, basic algorithm and implementation stuff followed by some design talk which is where I think I did the best. The following day I received an email saying I was scheduled to be flown out to Washington for final round interviews. I was asked to provide several options for interviews. My initial onsite interview was cancelled due to a conflict and had to be rescheduled. Over the next few days I was asked to correspond with Microsoft Staffing to reschedule. My interview was then moved to the following week. Microsoft put me up in a really nice hotel and offered me a stipend for food while I was there. On my interview day I met with a recruiter who gave me an overview of what to expect throughout the day. She then placed me on a shuttle to my first interview. I had a series of 4 interviews the last 2 significantly better than the first 2. After completing all of my interviews I was taking back to where I had began the day where I received a parting gift. A few days later I received the email that I would not be getting the offer. The overall experience was really good though no complaints.

Interview Questions
    • I struggle with a technical question during my first interview that asked something along the lines how would you create and implement database that deals with multiple servers?   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft.

I was an FTE for several years and now an external doing an informational interview. Pretty sad and disappointing to know the process is so broken. Had heard negative stories from others but didn't believe it until I became an external again. They simply do_not respond to you if they aren't moving forward with you. Not even a courtesy email. I wish they put some feedback process in place to check on these vendors-recruiters' work. They leave bad impression, which is totally against their hiring principles.

Interview Questions

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!