Microsoft Program Manager Interview Questions

Updated Sep 27, 2014

3.3

275 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Program Manager Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Microsoft.

Initial application and interview through campus recruiting. They do several rounds of recruiting, so be patient, they might not call you up for an interview right away. Onsite interview afterwards which consists of several interviews with different people, and potential teammates and team leads.

Interview Questions
  • Everything was pretty standard for a PM position. Started off with behavioral questions. Mostly asked for implementations of a specific system. They are looking for creative and detailed-oriented people.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  College Station, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Station, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in August 2014.

Got recommended by a friend. Resume was "shortlisted" and got a phone interview. Really enjoyed the phone interview and thought it went very well, except for the last question. The interview lasted about 45 minutes.

Apart from smalltalk and giving me time to ask questions, the interviewer asked me three "thought experiment" type questions. For PM position, two of these were general critical thinking, and one (the hard one for me) was programming.

Critical thinking questions involved designing a kitchen for a handicapped user and testing a frisbee before releasing it for sale. These were very open ended.

I'll mention the programming question below:

Interview Questions
    • What is the most efficient way to add an element to a circularly indexed array.   View Answer

Program Manager Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft.

Setup through University Recruiting.

One on campus interview. Interviewer asked me what I am passionate about and asked me to design an app for it on paper.

Next Onsite. It will be 8 hours long and 5 rounds. Two junior level PMs, one engineer, and two exec level PMs.

Asked me to design systems on whiteboards and pointed out edge cases, which I had to address in the design. Last interview with the top exec and was very pleasant conversation about why I wanted to be a PM then design a product problem.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really. Even if it comes up. Stay calm and take a moment to think about it. Always think back to the user and you'll be good.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Mostly tested on capability to think through. Hardly evaluate a person on specialized areas (unless that job is meant to be that way). They do ask situational questions to see whether u have the maturity to handle it. There is no right or wrong in many of these questions.

Interview Questions
    no. it is a preset package when I came into Microsoft.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied in-person - interviewed at Microsoft.

None, I had worked on the team before and the hiring manager knew what to expect. He also had very specific tasks in mind and needed help asap. I think my language skills came into play as this was a China project. I speak Mandarin natively.

Program Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft.

I was an FTE for several years and now an external doing an informational interview. Pretty sad and disappointing to know the process is so broken. Had heard negative stories from others but didn't believe it until I became an external again. They simply do_not respond to you if they aren't moving forward with you. Not even a courtesy email. I wish they put some feedback process in place to check on these vendors-recruiters' work. They leave bad impression, which is totally against their hiring principles.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft.

Did the interview process for my internship, got an offer, did my internship, and got an offer to join as FTE at the end. The process was clear but dealing with HR folks has been quite cumbersome. Way too many people in the HR process!

Interview Questions
    • Since I was interviewing for a Program Manager role, all the questions rotated around software development management (read the "Mythical Man Month" book!), explaining products that I like and don't like (why I like it, why I don't, how I would change, what is good, etc). People were very nice and the interviewing process was very pleasant.
      Communication and social skills are a must for PMs, so if you like to work alone in front of your computer, that's not for you.
        Answer Question
    Since I was coming straight from the internship and college, the HR didn't want to negotiate. I insisted and talked with my hiring manager...doubled my hiring bonus! Don't be shy!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Microsoft in March 2014.

The interview process was a great experience. My initial interview was an on campus interview where we discussed some of the information on my resume as well as the infamous why Microsoft question. We touched a little on coding, basic algorithm and implementation stuff followed by some design talk which is where I think I did the best. The following day I received an email saying I was scheduled to be flown out to Washington for final round interviews. I was asked to provide several options for interviews. My initial onsite interview was cancelled due to a conflict and had to be rescheduled. Over the next few days I was asked to correspond with Microsoft Staffing to reschedule. My interview was then moved to the following week. Microsoft put me up in a really nice hotel and offered me a stipend for food while I was there. On my interview day I met with a recruiter who gave me an overview of what to expect throughout the day. She then placed me on a shuttle to my first interview. I had a series of 4 interviews the last 2 significantly better than the first 2. After completing all of my interviews I was taking back to where I had began the day where I received a parting gift. A few days later I received the email that I would not be getting the offer. The overall experience was really good though no complaints.

Interview Questions
    • I struggle with a technical question during my first interview that asked something along the lines how would you create and implement database that deals with multiple servers?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft.

-Lots of people to meet with, sometimes feels more like a formality than actually working with them
    -Questions are somewhat random, coming across as "just because we can ask you"

Interview Questions
    Somewhat flexible on base salary and signing bonus

Program Manager Interview

Two rounds interview, first is 30 minutes campus interview and then informed for a onsite interview in Redmond after two weeks. Questions were related to the resume and past experience, not too hard.

Interview Questions

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!