Microsoft Program Manager Interview Questions

3.3

284 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft.

Applied online and was contacted by email by a recruiter designated to my university. Interviewed on my campus, about 45 minutes in length. I was asked to design an app that delivered personalized news to the user. The question, obviously, could've gone on as long as the interviewer wanted, so it became more of a conversation or discussing the features and briefly (pseudo-code) describe how I would accomplish them through a coding perspective, although I was never required to write actual code. Then was invited to interview in Seattle. The team I interviewed with there was extremely technical, and I found a disjunction between what I was expected to be able to handle, as a PM. It was extremely technical. I was asked to write 5 different programs and was barely asked questions about managing program schedules and being able to communicate details from a customer perspective, which was highly emphasized on the PM job description and during my first interview.

In the end, it was clear that the gap between my ideal PM role and that was interviewed for was too large, however I was offered a less technical role that still applied to a Computer Science major and accepted.

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Microsoft.

Internal transfer request after completing a few stretch assignments on the PM team. Process began with an informational interview where I was encouraged to formally apply. Formal interview loop was a set of 6 back-to-back interviews with members of Dev, PdM, Services, and Test teams (most of whom I knew, one that I didn't know well). The role was for a product I had been working on for a number of years, but had been acquired by Microsoft two years prior to the interview. General consensus from Microsoft leaders was that my product group was inferior in all aspects, and that came out very clearly in the interview process.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to design a network topology for a specific use case. I'm still not sure why since the role was specific to a data analytics engine - why not ask me to propose a design for some improvement to the data platform?   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Applied through a referral, had a phone interview then flew out to seattle for on-site. Very well organized hosting and interview process. Really made me feel valued. Took a lot of trouble to ensure that the visiting experience was good, organized a tour of seattle, had a rental car, comfortable hotel, led me smoothy from interview to interview on campus. Even sent a gift basket in the mail after I got home. Very professional and gave me a really good impression of the company on the whole.

Interview Questions
    • All fairly standard product questions: What is a non-high-tech product you love? Talk about an app you really like and how you'd improve it.   Answer Question

Accepted another offer.

Program Manager Interview

I didn't pass the on-campus screen. Interviewer was nice and helpful, but question is hard. I think what they really want to see is how you think through the question.

Program Manager Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

Initial application and interview through campus recruiting. They do several rounds of recruiting, so be patient, they might not call you up for an interview right away. Onsite interview afterwards which consists of several interviews with different people, and potential teammates and team leads.

Interview Questions
    • Everything was pretty standard for a PM position. Started off with behavioral questions. Mostly asked for implementations of a specific system. They are looking for creative and detailed-oriented people.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Microsoft in September 2014.

I was contacted through LinkedIn by one of the University Recruiters . Then they set up a short 30 minute interview for me at the university . I felt I did very well in the interview . There was one coding question and about 5 design questions. I was asked to design a chair for the future .

Interview Questions
    • There was not any unexpected question all questions were pretty standard.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Station, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Station, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in August 2014.

Got recommended by a friend. Resume was "shortlisted" and got a phone interview. Really enjoyed the phone interview and thought it went very well, except for the last question. The interview lasted about 45 minutes.

Apart from smalltalk and giving me time to ask questions, the interviewer asked me three "thought experiment" type questions. For PM position, two of these were general critical thinking, and one (the hard one for me) was programming.

Critical thinking questions involved designing a kitchen for a handicapped user and testing a frisbee before releasing it for sale. These were very open ended.

I'll mention the programming question below:

Interview Questions
    • What is the most efficient way to add an element to a circularly indexed array.   View Answer

Program Manager Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

Setup through University Recruiting.

One on campus interview. Interviewer asked me what I am passionate about and asked me to design an app for it on paper.

Next Onsite. It will be 8 hours long and 5 rounds. Two junior level PMs, one engineer, and two exec level PMs.

Asked me to design systems on whiteboards and pointed out edge cases, which I had to address in the design. Last interview with the top exec and was very pleasant conversation about why I wanted to be a PM then design a product problem.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really. Even if it comes up. Stay calm and take a moment to think about it. Always think back to the user and you'll be good.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Mostly tested on capability to think through. Hardly evaluate a person on specialized areas (unless that job is meant to be that way). They do ask situational questions to see whether u have the maturity to handle it. There is no right or wrong in many of these questions.

Interview Questions
    no. it is a preset package when I came into Microsoft.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied in-person – interviewed at Microsoft.

None, I had worked on the team before and the hiring manager knew what to expect. He also had very specific tasks in mind and needed help asap. I think my language skills came into play as this was a China project. I speak Mandarin natively.