Microsoft

Getting the Interview

257 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Microsoft in March 2014.

Interview Details – The interview process was a great experience. My initial interview was an on campus interview where we discussed some of the information on my resume as well as the infamous why Microsoft question. We touched a little on coding, basic algorithm and implementation stuff followed by some design talk which is where I think I did the best. The following day I received an email saying I was scheduled to be flown out to Washington for final round interviews. I was asked to provide several options for interviews. My initial onsite interview was cancelled due to a conflict and had to be rescheduled. Over the next few days I was asked to correspond with Microsoft Staffing to reschedule. My interview was then moved to the following week. Microsoft put me up in a really nice hotel and offered me a stipend for food while I was there. On my interview day I met with a recruiter who gave me an overview of what to expect throughout the day. She then placed me on a shuttle to my first interview. I had a series of 4 interviews the last 2 significantly better than the first 2. After completing all of my interviews I was taking back to where I had began the day where I received a parting gift. A few days later I received the email that I would not be getting the offer. The overall experience was really good though no complaints.

Interview Question – I struggle with a technical question during my first interview that asked something along the lines how would you create and implement database that deals with multiple servers?   Answer Question

Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details – Did the interview process for my internship, got an offer, did my internship, and got an offer to join as FTE at the end. The process was clear but dealing with HR folks has been quite cumbersome. Way too many people in the HR process!

Interview Question – Since I was interviewing for a Program Manager role, all the questions rotated around software development management (read the "Mythical Man Month" book!), explaining products that I like and don't like (why I like it, why I don't, how I would change, what is good, etc). People were very nice and the interviewing process was very pleasant.
Communication and social skills are a must for PMs, so if you like to work alone in front of your computer, that's not for you.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Since I was coming straight from the internship and college, the HR didn't want to negotiate. I insisted and talked with my hiring manager...doubled my hiring bonus! Don't be shy!

Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in April 2010.

Interview Details – Takes a while to get the process started, but they will pay for your travel to HQ and take care of you while you're there. Interviews are generally a series with up to 5-6 people on the team you're interviewing for (not just other PMs) and are not centralized.

Questions are a mix of design and technical questions, to see how well you'd work with engineers on the team. PMs are generally very creative and energetic people, so these interviews are usually quite fun.

Interview Question – Write a basic spell checker function that checks strings for typos against a dictionary.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiation is close to impossible if you're coming straight from college.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Redmond, WA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2011.

Interview Details – Was already Contracting for the same team so was very different. As I knew the role in and Out

Redmond, WA

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details – -Lots of people to meet with, sometimes feels more like a formality than actually working with them
-Questions are somewhat random, coming across as "just because we can ask you"

Interview Question – -Brain teasers   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Somewhat flexible on base salary and signing bonus

Redmond, WA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Microsoft in November 2012.

Interview Details – I had 3 interviews, one was by phone one at my university and the third was on-site

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected, all the questions were experience related. I had 6 interviews and thought I got the job. But then I dont know what happened. and I got declined   Answer Question

Interviewed at Microsoft

Interview Details – Two rounds interview, first is 30 minutes campus interview and then informed for a onsite interview in Redmond after two weeks. Questions were related to the resume and past experience, not too hard.

Interview Question – General question   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Mountain View, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft in January 2013.

Interview Details – The hiring and interview process were top notch. Each interviewer I encountered was very knowledgeable and challenged my abilities. Also, my recruiters were all extremely helpful in providing me with additional resources to help me prepare for the interviews. I cannot say enough positive things about the experience I had.

Interview Question – None of the questions that I encountered were out of the ordinary but all were very challenging and required a variety of skills to complete (data structure knowledge, customer apathy, etc.)   Answer Question

Interviewed at Microsoft

Interview Details – The interview was reasonably good. The interviewer first asked some details about me. Then, he proceeded with a design question. The question was design an alarm clock for a laptop. And that was all the interview.

Interview Question – There were no unexpected questions in the interview.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Bellevue, WA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Microsoft in January 2014.

Interview Details – Applied Online

Phone screen with outsourced recruiter - Generic questions, and he had no details about the position.

Phone screen with hiring manager - Gave more background about the position, went fine, but I still felt like they had no idea who or what they wanted

Email later that day for in-person, noticed the position title had changed

In-Person - Spent 15 minutes with recruiter and found out I was the last candidate to interview. Awesome. This was followed by 15 minute break, then 3 back to back meetings, all of whom asked the same generic behavioral questions. "Tell me about a time when you had to escalate" or "Tell me about a time you had to ask for more time to deliver a project". First interviewer was on time, next two were 15 minutes late each (no, they weren't meeting, that happened at the conclusion of the block, they were just late). They each spent an inordinate amount of time taking notes, as if that was their bigger focus than the actual interview.

Interview Question – Seriously, none. The behavioral style is great, but it's also predictable.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Microsoft

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!

Microsoft Videos

Microsoft – Why Work for Us?

What do you want in a job? Do you want more than a paycheck? At Microsoft, you can discover potential you didn’t know you had, push your limits, turn your ideas into reality and make a real impact on the industry and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Microsoft Program Manager interview questions and advice. All 257 interview reviews posted anonymously by Microsoft employees and interview candidates.