Microsoft

Updated Dec 9, 2014

3.3

302 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft in February 2007.

I had joined MS as a contractor and was working for this team for about 3months when they offered me the job. I did have to go through a grueling interview day - I was interviewed by 6 people. In between each interview I was taken back out to the lobby of the building and told to wait for the next interviewer. I learned later that they confer with eachother after each interview with a hire or no hire decision. If you make it past the third interview without a hitch chances are you have the job. I was asked questions like: why should I bother to hire you? What do you think is your biggest failure at a previous job?

Interview Questions
prety one sided. They made an offer that was $17,000 a year more than I had hoped for so I took it.

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in January 2007.

All details were meticulously planned by the recruitment department. The company also provided 3 day paid stay to check out the city during the on-site.
    There was 1 on-campus interview, followed by one day of intense on-site interviews about 3 weeks later. On site, I had 1 HR interview, 4 behavioral+design interviews, 1 high-level interview with a director, and a wrap up with HR at the end of the day. Advice for PM interviews would be to be structured, methodical and always be prioritizing. Also have a good breakfast, because you would be talking throughout the day. Tips for extra points: think outside-the-box for solutions, and don't be shy to use the whiteboard to illustrate your flow of thought. Also, it would be a good idea to brush up on algorithms and your team project leadership stories.
    Expect a response about a couple of weeks after the on-site interview.

Interview Questions
    • How would you go about designing a better vending machine for coke?   Answer Question
    • What is one functionality you would love to have in a tech device (phone/laptop etc)? How would you design this functionality? What are the considerations you would take into account during this design.   Answer Question
    Wanted the job, so I didn't negotiate. There is a bit of wiggle room for entry level positions, especially if you have competing offers. Benefits are usually not negotiable, so you can ask for a better sign-on bonus, or a higher starting salary. Another aspect that can be negotiated is taking $$ instead of moving rembursement.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in February 2009.

First round was on campus. Dealt with why I wanted to work at Microsoft. Was too much focussed on technical aspects. Was expected.
    Second round, after 2 months I get to know that there are few vacancies and whether I want 2 continue the interview process. I said yes and I was flown to Seattle for whole day interview. Interviewed with about 6-8 people, 2 teams whole day from 9am to 4 pm. If you make it through 2 rounds then only you get third round.

Within 2 days I was told that I am selected.

Interview Questions
    • What would you improve in Windows Vista? It was more focussed towards design since my position was a PM.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Microsoft in November 2010.

Talked to a recruiter at a career fair and gave them my resume. They referred me for an on-campus interview, which consisted of 45 minutes of a variety of questions (i.e. How would you design an alarm clock for a blind person? What is the most challenging programming problem you've recently faced? What is one technical product you really like and how would you improve it?), none about my resume. Next step was a 3-day/2-night trip to Seattle, very well arranged, met a lot of employees (new and veteran) who were giving advice and experience about working with the company. Interviews consisted of 4 hours of 1:1 interviews with 4 very bright interviewers, each with different questions, some regarding resume/experience, some regarding design of a software product, some regarding technical concepts.

Interview Questions
    • Name one software/computer product that you currently use and how you would improve it.   View Answer
    • Design an app for an iPad that will order me a Papa John's pizza.   View Answer
    • 1) What is a product that you think is perfect?
      2) How could you improve it?
      3) Ok, show me specifically what that would mean: design the user interface.

View Answer
    Every intern makes the same salary; it's non-negotiable. It is easily double any other internship pay I've seen/heard of, so negotiation isn't really necessary.
    I'd advise others to seriously consider the offer -- I wasn't that interested in the company until I visited and talked to a lot of people there. MS literally gets 50,000 applications a month, so if you get an offer, it says something about you; think about how it will look on your resume.

Program Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Microsoft in May 2009.

Microsoft is interesting. There is always a hiring loop that typically consists of at least 4 people. The last person will always be an as-needed and won't be identified until after you've gone through your loop. Sometimes, there are 2-3 loops that you'll need to participate in depending on the job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Microsoft in October 2011.

Five interviews and a final interview with human resources. Questions about the whole Application Life cycle management, manage teams, presentation skills, experience about creating new thinks.

Interview Questions
    • Create Hotmail from scratch, since inception to developement   Answer Question
    Don't accept the first offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in October 2011.

Interviewed on campus and immediately flew out for onsite interviews

Interview Questions
    • Question on battery life and hardware in Windows-OS computers   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in January 2013.

The hiring and interview process were top notch. Each interviewer I encountered was very knowledgeable and challenged my abilities. Also, my recruiters were all extremely helpful in providing me with additional resources to help me prepare for the interviews. I cannot say enough positive things about the experience I had.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions that I encountered were out of the ordinary but all were very challenging and required a variety of skills to complete (data structure knowledge, customer apathy, etc.)   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Copenhagen (Denmark)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Copenhagen (Denmark)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in January 2010.

Interview loop with 5 managers and peers from all disciplines interacting in future job. In general question asked about past expeirience. Situational questions 'what if' from area of Project Management.

Interview Questions
    • Conduct a thinking process about mathematical formula to calculate number of minutes on traditional clock with given time.   Answer Question
    Company was very flexible with providing relocation package and compensation

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyderābād (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyderābād (India)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in October 2010.

From the very beginning the interview was mostly around problem solving capabilities be it around designing solutions for retail or some complex puzzle or algorithm. I underwent 5 rounds of interviews that lasted almost full day including breaks.

Interview Questions
    • I did not know about Program Management role and the hiring manager could not fully articulate it. I realised, if hiring manager is having such a hard time explaining, it must be a challenging role.   Answer Question
    Not much of negotiation. I moved from US and didn't know the local market in India therefore just accepted the position.