Microsoft

Updated Jan 29, 2015

3.3

304 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Program Manager Interview

Applied through a referral, had a phone interview then flew out to seattle for on-site. Very well organized hosting and interview process. Really made me feel valued. Took a lot of trouble to ensure that the visiting experience was good, organized a tour of seattle, had a rental car, comfortable hotel, led me smoothy from interview to interview on campus. Even sent a gift basket in the mail after I got home. Very professional and gave me a really good impression of the company on the whole.

Interview Questions
  • All fairly standard product questions: What is a non-high-tech product you love? Talk about an app you really like and how you'd improve it.   Answer Question

Accepted another offer.

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Program Manager Interview

I didn't pass the on-campus screen. Interviewer was nice and helpful, but question is hard. I think what they really want to see is how you think through the question.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in October 2014.

Applied during university career fair. Got a fast response and had a on-campus interview the next week.
    First-interview:
    -Asked about projects
    -Some behaviour questions
    -How to find the number of occurrences of an integer in a shorted array?
    Got an invitation to the on-site interview the week after. Flew to Seattle about three weeks later. Everyone in my group had 4 interviews, so don't worry if you don't get more in the afternoon.
    -There is a projector that can project images all 4 walls in the room and it is able to recognize gestures. Design an application that can benefit from this.
    -Design a smart watch
    -Implement a function that returns a boolean of whether two rectangles overlap.
    -Implement a function that returns whether two strings are identical. One of the string can have '*' which means 1 to infinite random characters can be in between and '#' means only one character in between. For ex: abcd vs ab#d --> true, abcd vs abcbcd --> true
    -Why do you want to work in Microsoft?
    -What is your favourite product and how will you improve it?
    -Name a time there was a conflict during a group project and how did you resolve it?
    -What do you think about Windows 8? How would you improve it?

Interview Questions
    • Implement a function that returns a boolean of whether two rectangles overlap.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in October 2014.

Great Experience. Had one phone interview, one interview on my college campus and the final interviews in Seattle. The phone interview had some technical questions and the interviewer used collabedit. Overall a great experience. Microsoft takes care of everything.

Interview Questions
    • The technical questions were pretty standard. The design questions were interesting and challenging.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

Initial application and interview through campus recruiting. They do several rounds of recruiting, so be patient, they might not call you up for an interview right away. Onsite interview afterwards which consists of several interviews with different people, and potential teammates and team leads.

Interview Questions
    • Everything was pretty standard for a PM position. Started off with behavioral questions. Mostly asked for implementations of a specific system. They are looking for creative and detailed-oriented people.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Microsoft in September 2014.

I was contacted through LinkedIn by one of the University Recruiters . Then they set up a short 30 minute interview for me at the university . I felt I did very well in the interview . There was one coding question and about 5 design questions. I was asked to design a chair for the future .

Interview Questions
    • There was not any unexpected question all questions were pretty standard.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in September 2014.

I was recruited by this team (I did not actually apply for the job) and after about 4 phone screens, they flew me out for an onsite. The phone interviews vs in-person are FAR different. I was kept in a tiny meeting room for EIGHT HOURS without a break during the onsite. This was super stressful and after answering virtually the same questions for hours, it is hard to gauge how things are going. I think they could really do with a less intense interview process, particularly if the candidate is one the hiring team actively recruited.

Interview Questions
    • The most unexpected questioning was from a female manager who wanted my specific experiences with sexism and misogyny in the workplace. She asked me many variations along this line of questioning.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft in September 2014.

I applied the position through campus career fair and got a phone interview one week later. The 30-min phone interview went through my previous projects and asked me to design a smart chair.

Program Manager Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in September 2014.

I filled out an online application and a few weeks later was called for an on campus interview. Interviewer asked about my resume and then was asked to complete a design question. They seem to ask about the obscure parts of my resume and that was unexpected. They were interested in creativity in my design and the ability to defend it. I was then asked to interview in Redmond which haven't done yet.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Station, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Station, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in August 2014.

Got recommended by a friend. Resume was "shortlisted" and got a phone interview. Really enjoyed the phone interview and thought it went very well, except for the last question. The interview lasted about 45 minutes.

Apart from smalltalk and giving me time to ask questions, the interviewer asked me three "thought experiment" type questions. For PM position, two of these were general critical thinking, and one (the hard one for me) was programming.

Critical thinking questions involved designing a kitchen for a handicapped user and testing a frisbee before releasing it for sale. These were very open ended.

I'll mention the programming question below:

Interview Questions
    • What is the most efficient way to add an element to a circularly indexed array.   View Answer