Microsoft Program Manager Interview Questions & Reviews

269 interviews

3.3

269 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2010.

College campus screen (30 minutes) followed by a loop of interviews in Redmond (4 interviews, 1 hour each). The last interview was with a group manager, who didn't ask any questions and was more trying to sell the role.

Interview Questions
  • Describe a project that you worked on that was complex, and explain the complexity. (after explaining) what was one thing that you would do differently about the design?   Answer Question
Had some say in terms of what areas I was interested in working on, but other than that I didn't get any real idea of what I'd be doing until day 1 on the job.

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I interviewed online - interviewed at Microsoft.

The process was entertaining but scripted. I found all questions and answers online that allowed me to breeze through their ridiculous questions like "how many bathrooms are in Seattle" and other stupid questions.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever been fired from a position?   View Answer
    I negotiated a 30% salary increase over the offer, moving bonus and signing bonus.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

interviewed at Microsoft in December 2010.

Phone screen and then an in-person interview loop with multiple people. Interestingly I found the phone screen the most difficult compared to the in-person interviews as it it was clear they were looking for very specific answers to their questions requiring me to figure out the right answer versus a possible answer. Not a great way to find good people. The actual interview loop itself was quite good. I found out later many of these phone interviewers are external contractors and not actual Microsoft employees.

Interview Questions
    • Didn't find a most difficult question but enjoyed open ended design questions. Be prepared for a few of these.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

I interviewed through other source - interviewed at Microsoft.

nothing to add at this time that is not a standard industry practice

Program Manager Interview

I have a phone interview that went through my resume and asked me some technical question. In the end, asked me do I have any question

Interview Questions
    • Add two integer together and return a integer without using any arithmetic operators   View Answers (4)

Program Manager Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft.

Frankly, I knew a few people in the department I last worked. The interview process was fairly standard for Microsoft; the usual stumper questions regarding "what would you do if your job went away" and some puzzlers. Though, most of the questions were customer oriented, since it was a Technical Support role.

Interview Questions
    • Not so much a difficult or unexpected question, but you may encounter an interviewer whose job it is to either make you NOT WANT the job or to trip you up so they can say "No Hire".   View Answer
    As an internal candidate, negotiation was fair and brief.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in November 2013.

Internal Employee Referral - Phone Screen with HR, Phone Screen with Hiring Manager, and then onsite "Loop" process. Process was smooth and it was a very enjoyable set of conversations with very smart folks about fit for the role and future job/career desires.

Interview Questions
    • If I spoke to coworkers of you over the years, what are the 3 things they would say are positives, and the 3 things they would say are negatives of you?   Answer Question
    Was able to negotiate stock award, salary was above expectations and at the top of the range, so I did not negotiate that.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft in December 2013.

I had my on-campus interview at the end of October. The process was relatively smooth and they kept in contact throughout the process. About 2-3 weeks after that, they told me I made it to the final round. Due to scheduling conflicts, class projects, Thanksgiving etc. I only scheduled my on-site interview for the beginning of December. I had my on-site interview on a Monday, the recruiter called me that Wednesday with an offer. I had 5 interviews during my onsite - 3 were pre-scheduled and 2 additional interviews were tacked on as the day progressed. I would say you have better chances if you had 5 interviews, my 5th interviewer was my 1st interviewer's boss - so I knew it was a good sign.

Don't be discouraged by answering things correctly or needing to have to do a lot of technical things on the spot. Since I myself am a UX/UI designer, they mainly drilled me on design challenges and when I had my more technical interview - I was able to show some of my past projects and code. Not all PM's are super technical, I spoke to other PM candidates and everyone had a really unique background and major - seemed like there was no cookie cut for what a PM has done in the past or what track they are on.

Also, you go to lunch with one of your interviewers, don't mistake that for chit chat - and be strategic about what you get to eat - it is hard to discuss your background while eating pizza for example.

Interview Questions
    • Design a vending machine for an airport. What challenges or considerations are there?   View Answer
    No negotiation, the recruiter said there was no negotiation on the offer, which is understandable as a college hire and I had no other offers that were more than what they were willing to give. It was very competitive and I was pleasantly surprised.

Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in November 2013.

Referred by an employee and met with a university recruiter. On month later they flew me out to Seattle for an interview. I stayed in Marriott not too far from Main Campus, they treat their recruits really well. I got $75 a day just for food, plus other things.

My interview started at 9am, I was then driven by a shuttle to Microsoft's advanta campus (about 20 minutes away). The first person I met with just talked about the position itself and what exactly this Program managing position was like because PM roles vary widely depending on where you're placed. I was hoping to not get a super technical one (since I was interesting in Ux, but I did, it was still really interesting tho). He asked me a basic design question. Then I went on to my second person. It was a bit odd because they had me wait outside the office while they both spoke about me ( I got kicked out of a common area once since a guy wanted to have a meeting there, was odd) . All the interviews were about the same, just design questions, no coding questions. I went through 5 interviews (including the as appropriate) but unfortunately it did not work out for me. I would suggests that when they ask you design questions, of course ask them questions to clarify but don't be afraid to just jump right in a design and ask clarification questions mid way through. I asked too many questions from the start that there were times I was unable to go through the full design process. Also, think out loud but if your mind wanders a bit from use case to use case when you design things, filter your thinking a bit. I always get to a good design but sometimes my thinking process is a bit scattered so be sure to think out loud, but beware of sounding scatter brained!

Interview Questions
    • Pretty easy question but it's one that you can over think by asking a lot of questions!
      You are going to have a showing next week for a new search program your making for enterprise businesses. Unfortunately, you have two large problems- 1) scalability 2) inputted data is getting lost in translation (u don't know where it is, but you can't view it in the end). You only can fix one before the showing, which one and why?
        View Answer

Program Manager Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Microsoft.

1st Round: 30 minute on campus interview
    2nd Round: 3-5 interviews on-site (Redmond)

Application:
    I applied online through their career site. I also connected with my campus recruiter and kept my campus recruiter updated throughout the entire process.

~1.5 month wait between applying online and my 1st round interview

1st Round:
    Basic Background Questions (Grad Year, etc)
    Ice-Breaker Questions (non-technical, supposed to be easy and let them get to know you)
    Technical Questions + followups

Results: 1 week wait

~1 month wait between getting the results of 1st interview and setting up my 2nd round

2nd Round:
    Ranges between 3-5 interviews, one of which is a lunch interview
    All of my interviews were non-technical in nature

Results: ~3-5 business days

Attire:
    I wore a suit (business formal) to both rounds. It's totally up to you though, I saw people in t-shirt & jeans at their second round interviews.

Suggestions:
    1. Be Yourself. You got past the first round after all, there must be a reason why. :D
    2. Read the material they send you (for your second round), it helps you better understand the PM position and what they do. Basically, do your homework.

Interview Questions
    • I don't think any of the questions were difficult and neither were they unexpected (they were the types of question a PM candidate would be asked). Strengths and weaknesses regarding being a PM, I was pretty honest and wasn't sure if my honestly would come back to bite me later (yup, I was THAT honest about my weakness).   Answer Question
    It's a competitive offer so I didn't negotiate.