Microsoft

Updated Feb 26, 2015
Updated Feb 26, 2015

3.3

Program Manager Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

Initial application and interview through campus recruiting. They do several rounds of recruiting, so be patient, they might not call you up for an interview right away. Onsite interview afterwards which consists of several interviews with different people, and potential teammates and team leads.

Interview Questions
  • Everything was pretty standard for a PM position. Started off with behavioral questions. Mostly asked for implementations of a specific system. They are looking for creative and detailed-oriented people.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Program Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Microsoft in September 2014.

I was contacted through LinkedIn by one of the University Recruiters . Then they set up a short 30 minute interview for me at the university . I felt I did very well in the interview . There was one coding question and about 5 design questions. I was asked to design a chair for the future .

Interview Questions
    • There was not any unexpected question all questions were pretty standard.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in September 2014.

I was recruited by this team (I did not actually apply for the job) and after about 4 phone screens, they flew me out for an onsite. The phone interviews vs in-person are FAR different. I was kept in a tiny meeting room for EIGHT HOURS without a break during the onsite. This was super stressful and after answering virtually the same questions for hours, it is hard to gauge how things are going. I think they could really do with a less intense interview process, particularly if the candidate is one the hiring team actively recruited.

Interview Questions
    • The most unexpected questioning was from a female manager who wanted my specific experiences with sexism and misogyny in the workplace. She asked me many variations along this line of questioning.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft in September 2014.

I applied the position through campus career fair and got a phone interview one week later. The 30-min phone interview went through my previous projects and asked me to design a smart chair.

Program Manager Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in September 2014.

I filled out an online application and a few weeks later was called for an on campus interview. Interviewer asked about my resume and then was asked to complete a design question. They seem to ask about the obscure parts of my resume and that was unexpected. They were interested in creativity in my design and the ability to defend it. I was then asked to interview in Redmond which haven't done yet.

Anonymous Employee in College Station, TX
    Anonymous Employee in College Station, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in August 2014.

Got recommended by a friend. Resume was "shortlisted" and got a phone interview. Really enjoyed the phone interview and thought it went very well, except for the last question. The interview lasted about 45 minutes.

Apart from smalltalk and giving me time to ask questions, the interviewer asked me three "thought experiment" type questions. For PM position, two of these were general critical thinking, and one (the hard one for me) was programming.

Critical thinking questions involved designing a kitchen for a handicapped user and testing a frisbee before releasing it for sale. These were very open ended.

I'll mention the programming question below:

Interview Questions
    • What is the most efficient way to add an element to a circularly indexed array.   View Answer

Program Manager Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft in August 2014.

Applied online through my university website for the software development/program manager position. I was scheduled for an on campus interview. The interview was technical and related to the program manager position since I had to choose between SDE and program manager before the interview. At first the interviewer asked me if I had any questions about him. I asked him three questions about his job at Microsoft. Then he asked me:
    Are you interested in doing an MBA in the future ?
    Why Program Manager ?
    Design an App for a kitchen and how to market the app in the industry.

Interview Questions
    • Marketing the app since as an Engineer I do not have a background in marketing new products   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

Setup through University Recruiting.

One on campus interview. Interviewer asked me what I am passionate about and asked me to design an app for it on paper.

Next Onsite. It will be 8 hours long and 5 rounds. Two junior level PMs, one engineer, and two exec level PMs.

Asked me to design systems on whiteboards and pointed out edge cases, which I had to address in the design. Last interview with the top exec and was very pleasant conversation about why I wanted to be a PM then design a product problem.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really. Even if it comes up. Stay calm and take a moment to think about it. Always think back to the user and you'll be good.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Mostly tested on capability to think through. Hardly evaluate a person on specialized areas (unless that job is meant to be that way). They do ask situational questions to see whether u have the maturity to handle it. There is no right or wrong in many of these questions.

Interview Questions
    no. it is a preset package when I came into Microsoft.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied in-person – interviewed at Microsoft.

None, I had worked on the team before and the hiring manager knew what to expect. He also had very specific tasks in mind and needed help asap. I think my language skills came into play as this was a China project. I speak Mandarin natively.