Microsoft

Getting the Interview

257 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Program Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details – Applied on campus for the Summer Intern program...was contacted in under a week for an on-campus interview. Interview was scheduled about 2 week later. The interviewer was not too friendly and tried was a bit confrontational. Our personalities just didn't mesh, and I think that hindered my interview. Was informed a few weeks later that they had moved on with other applicants.

Interview Question – Suppose a deadline for a project was just cut in half. As a Program Manager, how do you prioritize the following things?

10% Performance Increase
15% Reliability Increase
Software Developer Feature
User Feature
Competitor Feature

Interviewed at Microsoft

Interview Details – There were two parts as it was through on campus recruiting. First was an in-person screen which since I didn't have a CS degree was a question on designing a better parking pay system in the area. The rest of the interview was some overview on the position and some behavioral questions.

Interview Question – What do engineers want?
This was asked as part of designing a solution, and I wasn't sure how to answer it.

Interviewed at Microsoft

Interview Details – One phone interview with brain teasers and behavioral questions regarding resume.

Interview Question – Design my backyard for me.
DIfference between python and java.

Interviewed at Microsoft

Interview Details – Phone interview, then on campus interview in Redmond. 3 interviews, coding question.

Interview Question – Be prepared to whiteboard algorithm.   Answer Question

Program Manager

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2013.

Interview Details – Campus recruiter selected and set up a 30 minute interview with a senior software developer.
If you are not a programmer then don't apply to Microsoft. When they say they are recruiting for talent they meant only computer science talent.

Interview Question – The interviewer is a seasoned software developer. He asked me to come up with an algorithm for searching Palindrome after I told him in the very beginning that programming is not my strong suit. I am a PhD in mechanical engineering, and I have extensive communication, networking and managing skills from co-founding startup companies to project management. But he seemed less interested in these and only wanted to know how much I can code. In the previous interview workshop, he said Microsoft is interested in communication, customer focus, analytical skills and thinking process. And Microsoft is not looking for a specific skill such as coding. But during the interview, it is really just programming skill he is looking for. So If you are not a programmer, please don't waste your time.   Answer Question

Program Manager

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details – Applied through college fair, one on campus round of 1 hour.
Interview:
About project and leadership examples.
Quest:
1. Deisgn a nest generation chat application, how would you test it, what priorities to be kept in mind,
2. To get path in a tree to attain given value as a sum of values of nodes in the path.

Secondly called at redmond: 4 interviews:
1st: Why microsoft etc. Design a rubix cube application for smart phone, how will it interact, what features, etc.. (Complete A-Z on deisgning).
2nd: How will you create an app for controlling blinds in an office, How will you monitor sales of of your app while explaining it to app vendor (quest was un clear and very marketing specific)
3rd: To design Movie Kiosk. and if a string is filled with double (10, 11) or single (1,0) byte values and you are at the end of the string. traverse back and say whether the value is single or double.
3 rd: To devise a GPS system, its services, hardware, technology and user specifications.

Interview Question – To devise a GPS system, its services, hardware, technology and user specifications for a 16 yr old newly driver.   View Answer

Interviewed at Microsoft

Interview Details – Microsoft had come to the cornell campus for fall career fair where I went in and dropped my resume. I got a call in a week for the post of program manager. My interview did not go that well and i did not end up with a second round call.

Interview Question – Tell me an algorithm to find the angle between hour hand and minute hand of an analog clock.   Answer Question

Program Manager

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2013.

Interview Details – I received an email inviting me to attend an interview at the Grace Hopper Convention. The Interview was 30 minutes and it was all behavioral and situational. It was the equivalent to an on-campus interview, and the interviewer was very nice.

Interview Question – The questions were all standard nothing difficult. But they did ask what is your favorite Microsoft product and is there any improvements that you would make to the product.   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details – I was there for a hiring event. They flew me out to seattle and covered all my expenses. I had interviewed with them a year before (I did not get the position then) and they just called me back for final rounds.
The interviews started at 8 am. There were many other applicants there and we were all applying for positions in the Office Division.
Everyone went through a series of 4 interviews back to back. Each interview was 1 hour long. The interviews were over by noon.

I got my results the same day.

Interview Questions

• Design a GPS for a 16 year old novice driver.
    I started talking about safety features and my interviewers latched on to that idea and followed through with it. I eventually came up with an idea where the parents could set controls through an online account. Then he asked me how would the GPS communicate with the online account.
  • Design a mobile app that is a rubic's cube game   Answer Question
  • Design an app that controls all the blinds in the building.   Answer Question
  • design a movie ticket kiosk   Answer Question

Redmond, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in September 2013.

Interview Details – Had an on campus interview, then was flown to Redmond. The on campus one was very simple and just involved how I would change a particular website to make it more user friendly. They then flew me out to Redmond and I had 4 hour long interviewers with current PMs. They were all very friendly, but I realized pretty quickly that my PM knowledge was lacking.

Interview Question – The first interviewer in Redmond asked a very ambiguous question about windows 8 apps, but was expecting a very specific answer. The other questions were design me a thermostat for a hotel chain,and design me an online music store. All in all it wasn't too bad after the first round, that may have just been a weeding round, however.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Microsoft