Microsoft

Updated Dec 9, 2014

3.3

302 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Program Manager Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at Microsoft.

nothing to add at this time that is not a standard industry practice

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Program Manager Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Microsoft in January 2014.

Telephonic interview : 1. What position?
    2. Why this position?
    3. why microsoft?
    4. What do you like most about microsoft?
    5. What microsoft product you like? 5 good and bad things about it
    6. 3 fruits in 3 basket apple orange and apple oragne puzzle
    7. Design an alaram for blind

Interview Questions
    • What is your understanding of the position and what are your expectation?   View Answer

Program Manager Interview

I have a phone interview that went through my resume and asked me some technical question. In the end, asked me do I have any question

Interview Questions
    • Add two integer together and return a integer without using any arithmetic operators   View Answers (4)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Microsoft in January 2014.

Applied Online

Phone screen with outsourced recruiter - Generic questions, and he had no details about the position.

Phone screen with hiring manager - Gave more background about the position, went fine, but I still felt like they had no idea who or what they wanted

Email later that day for in-person, noticed the position title had changed

In-Person - Spent 15 minutes with recruiter and found out I was the last candidate to interview. Awesome. This was followed by 15 minute break, then 3 back to back meetings, all of whom asked the same generic behavioral questions. "Tell me about a time when you had to escalate" or "Tell me about a time you had to ask for more time to deliver a project". First interviewer was on time, next two were 15 minutes late each (no, they weren't meeting, that happened at the conclusion of the block, they were just late). They each spent an inordinate amount of time taking notes, as if that was their bigger focus than the actual interview.

Interview Questions
    • Seriously, none. The behavioral style is great, but it's also predictable.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in January 2014.

I Applied through campus recruiting. Was contacted through a recruiter afterwards who then set up a date for the phone interview. The phone interview was very relaxed and didn't get very technical. The last question was a brain teaser.

Program Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

Frankly, I knew a few people in the department I last worked. The interview process was fairly standard for Microsoft; the usual stumper questions regarding "what would you do if your job went away" and some puzzlers. Though, most of the questions were customer oriented, since it was a Technical Support role.

Interview Questions
    • Not so much a difficult or unexpected question, but you may encounter an interviewer whose job it is to either make you NOT WANT the job or to trip you up so they can say "No Hire".   View Answer
    As an internal candidate, negotiation was fair and brief.

Program Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft.

1st Round: 30 minute on campus interview
    2nd Round: 3-5 interviews on-site (Redmond)

Application:
    I applied online through their career site. I also connected with my campus recruiter and kept my campus recruiter updated throughout the entire process.

~1.5 month wait between applying online and my 1st round interview

1st Round:
    Basic Background Questions (Grad Year, etc)
    Ice-Breaker Questions (non-technical, supposed to be easy and let them get to know you)
    Technical Questions + followups

Results: 1 week wait

~1 month wait between getting the results of 1st interview and setting up my 2nd round

2nd Round:
    Ranges between 3-5 interviews, one of which is a lunch interview
    All of my interviews were non-technical in nature

Results: ~3-5 business days

Attire:
    I wore a suit (business formal) to both rounds. It's totally up to you though, I saw people in t-shirt & jeans at their second round interviews.

Suggestions:
    1. Be Yourself. You got past the first round after all, there must be a reason why. :D
    2. Read the material they send you (for your second round), it helps you better understand the PM position and what they do. Basically, do your homework.

Interview Questions
    • I don't think any of the questions were difficult and neither were they unexpected (they were the types of question a PM candidate would be asked). Strengths and weaknesses regarding being a PM, I was pretty honest and wasn't sure if my honestly would come back to bite me later (yup, I was THAT honest about my weakness).   Answer Question
    It's a competitive offer so I didn't negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in December 2013.

I had my on-campus interview at the end of October. The process was relatively smooth and they kept in contact throughout the process. About 2-3 weeks after that, they told me I made it to the final round. Due to scheduling conflicts, class projects, Thanksgiving etc. I only scheduled my on-site interview for the beginning of December. I had my on-site interview on a Monday, the recruiter called me that Wednesday with an offer. I had 5 interviews during my onsite - 3 were pre-scheduled and 2 additional interviews were tacked on as the day progressed. I would say you have better chances if you had 5 interviews, my 5th interviewer was my 1st interviewer's boss - so I knew it was a good sign.

Don't be discouraged by answering things correctly or needing to have to do a lot of technical things on the spot. Since I myself am a UX/UI designer, they mainly drilled me on design challenges and when I had my more technical interview - I was able to show some of my past projects and code. Not all PM's are super technical, I spoke to other PM candidates and everyone had a really unique background and major - seemed like there was no cookie cut for what a PM has done in the past or what track they are on.

Also, you go to lunch with one of your interviewers, don't mistake that for chit chat - and be strategic about what you get to eat - it is hard to discuss your background while eating pizza for example.

Interview Questions
    • Design a vending machine for an airport. What challenges or considerations are there?   View Answer
    No negotiation, the recruiter said there was no negotiation on the offer, which is understandable as a college hire and I had no other offers that were more than what they were willing to give. It was very competitive and I was pleasantly surprised.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

5 interviews at redmond the same day. Design questions.

Interview Questions
    • 5 interviews at redmond the same day. Design questions.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

Sent in my resume for an internship interview and they got back to me really quickly. Overall, the interview took about 40 minutes and they said they'll get back to me in about 2 weeks. (hasn't been 2 weeks yet)