Microsoft

Updated Mar 1, 2015
Updated Mar 1, 2015

3.3

Program Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

I was an FTE for several years and now an external doing an informational interview. Pretty sad and disappointing to know the process is so broken. Had heard negative stories from others but didn't believe it until I became an external again. They simply do_not respond to you if they aren't moving forward with you. Not even a courtesy email. I wish they put some feedback process in place to check on these vendors-recruiters' work. They leave bad impression, which is totally against their hiring principles.

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft.

Did the interview process for my internship, got an offer, did my internship, and got an offer to join as FTE at the end. The process was clear but dealing with HR folks has been quite cumbersome. Way too many people in the HR process!

Interview Questions
    • Since I was interviewing for a Program Manager role, all the questions rotated around software development management (read the "Mythical Man Month" book!), explaining products that I like and don't like (why I like it, why I don't, how I would change, what is good, etc). People were very nice and the interviewing process was very pleasant.
      Communication and social skills are a must for PMs, so if you like to work alone in front of your computer, that's not for you.

Answer Question
    Since I was coming straight from the internship and college, the HR didn't want to negotiate. I insisted and talked with my hiring manager...doubled my hiring bonus! Don't be shy!

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft in March 2014.

The interview process was a great experience. My initial interview was an on campus interview where we discussed some of the information on my resume as well as the infamous why Microsoft question. We touched a little on coding, basic algorithm and implementation stuff followed by some design talk which is where I think I did the best. The following day I received an email saying I was scheduled to be flown out to Washington for final round interviews. I was asked to provide several options for interviews. My initial onsite interview was cancelled due to a conflict and had to be rescheduled. Over the next few days I was asked to correspond with Microsoft Staffing to reschedule. My interview was then moved to the following week. Microsoft put me up in a really nice hotel and offered me a stipend for food while I was there. On my interview day I met with a recruiter who gave me an overview of what to expect throughout the day. She then placed me on a shuttle to my first interview. I had a series of 4 interviews the last 2 significantly better than the first 2. After completing all of my interviews I was taking back to where I had began the day where I received a parting gift. A few days later I received the email that I would not be getting the offer. The overall experience was really good though no complaints.

Interview Questions
    • I struggle with a technical question during my first interview that asked something along the lines how would you create and implement database that deals with multiple servers?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

-Lots of people to meet with, sometimes feels more like a formality than actually working with them
    -Questions are somewhat random, coming across as "just because we can ask you"

Interview Questions
    Somewhat flexible on base salary and signing bonus

Program Manager Interview

Two rounds interview, first is 30 minutes campus interview and then informed for a onsite interview in Redmond after two weeks. Questions were related to the resume and past experience, not too hard.

Program Manager Interview

The interview was reasonably good. The interviewer first asked some details about me. Then, he proceeded with a design question. The question was design an alarm clock for a laptop. And that was all the interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in December 2013.

I applied through a university recruiter. (but not on campus). I have a CS background, but not even a coding question.

First interview through Skype.
    * design question (firstly ask clarifying questions, then design it!)
    * what is good code?
    * describe a previous project

Same day I found out that I am invited on an on-site interview. (which was scheduled 2 weeks afterwards).

On-site interview
    It was a college hire event, with 12 students all applying for a PM full-time role. Each of us went through 4 interviews. All the interviewers had >15 years experience at Microsoft.

1st interview:
    * we talked about my CV, past projects, current projects (What difficulties I had, Why I took some of the decisions, etc)
    * design question - design a parking lot
    * why I would like to work at Microsoft
    * I had the chance to ask questions

2nd interview:
    * I had to explain something in technology that excites me. I chose a product and then I was asked follow up questions, such as: "What difficulties do you think they had when developing it?", "What's good for the user? What's bad for the user?"
    * I presented a previous project in details (even including prototypes on the white board). I pitched it in the beginning and then dived into details (I had 20 min time for it, so be sure you know the projects in the CV in detail!)
    * again, I asked questions at the end

3rd interview:
    * most difficult one
    * I had to present one of my project in detail - again on the blackboard
    * then, I had to present another project in 90 seconds (the interviewer told me to talk about my project, I asked what's the time limit, and he said 90 seconds - so in the end I gave kind of elevator pitch)
    * a question about elevators: "A CEO complains that the elevator in his building sucks - what would I do?" - I couldn't talk with the CEO to find out what's wrong, everything was normal, the other people weren't complaining. I was focused more on customer interviews to find out what was wrong, in the end I had to test it. I could not figure the question myself, so the interviewer gave me a hint (I had to think about my phone and its parameters and why I chose it)
    * then, I Had to think about 5 things I would improve in the elevators in that building (without knowing what the problem was) and then chose the two most important (HINT: Prioritize the list in the beginning, then it's much easier to cut off)
    * again, I asked questions

4th interview:
    * more technical, I had to explain the architecture of a software project in detail
    * questions to the interviewer again

Tips:
    * be prepared with a "framework" for the design questions: firstly, you have to ask questions (about customer, business context, technology, etc). Then, design & implementation
    * be prepared for asking questions at the end of each interview
    * know each of your project in detail (challenges, technical details, situations, learnings, etc)
    * when you present a project, be sure to pitch it right and to present it nicely (they are not interested about the project, but about how you can present it, what was your role in it, what you learned, etc)

Good luck!

Interview Questions
    • "A CEO complains that the elevator in his building sucks - what would I do?" (I own the elevator company) - I couldn't talk with the CEO to find out what's wrong, everything was normal, the other people weren't complaining. I was focused more on customer interviews to find out what was wrong, in the end I had to test it. I could not figure the question myself, so the interviewer gave me a hint (I had to think about my phone and its parameters and why I chose it)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied online – interviewed at Microsoft.

The process was entertaining but scripted. I found all questions and answers online that allowed me to breeze through their ridiculous questions like "how many bathrooms are in Seattle" and other stupid questions.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever been fired from a position?   View Answer
    I negotiated a 30% salary increase over the offer, moving bonus and signing bonus.

Program Manager Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at Microsoft.

nothing to add at this time that is not a standard industry practice

Program Manager Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Microsoft in January 2014.

Telephonic interview : 1. What position?
    2. Why this position?
    3. why microsoft?
    4. What do you like most about microsoft?
    5. What microsoft product you like? 5 good and bad things about it
    6. 3 fruits in 3 basket apple orange and apple oragne puzzle
    7. Design an alaram for blind

Interview Questions
    • What is your understanding of the position and what are your expectation?   View Answer