Microsoft Program Manager Interview Questions

Updated Oct 16, 2014

3.3

286 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Program Manager Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

Applied through college fair, one on campus round of 1 hour.
Interview:
About project and leadership examples.
Quest:
1. Deisgn a nest generation chat application, how would you test it, what priorities to be kept in mind,
2. To get path in a tree to attain given value as a sum of values of nodes in the path.

Secondly called at redmond: 4 interviews:
1st: Why microsoft etc. Design a rubix cube application for smart phone, how will it interact, what features, etc.. (Complete A-Z on deisgning).
2nd: How will you create an app for controlling blinds in an office, How will you monitor sales of of your app while explaining it to app vendor (quest was un clear and very marketing specific)
3rd: To design Movie Kiosk. and if a string is filled with double (10, 11) or single (1,0) byte values and you are at the end of the string. traverse back and say whether the value is single or double.
3 rd: To devise a GPS system, its services, hardware, technology and user specifications.

Interview Questions
  • To devise a GPS system, its services, hardware, technology and user specifications for a 16 yr old newly driver.   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Program Manager Interview

Microsoft had come to the cornell campus for fall career fair where I went in and dropped my resume. I got a call in a week for the post of program manager. My interview did not go that well and i did not end up with a second round call.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me an algorithm to find the angle between hour hand and minute hand of an analog clock.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft.

I was there for a hiring event. They flew me out to seattle and covered all my expenses. I had interviewed with them a year before (I did not get the position then) and they just called me back for final rounds.
    The interviews started at 8 am. There were many other applicants there and we were all applying for positions in the Office Division.
    Everyone went through a series of 4 interviews back to back. Each interview was 1 hour long. The interviews were over by noon.

I got my results the same day.

Interview Questions
    • Design a GPS for a 16 year old novice driver.
      I started talking about safety features and my interviewers latched on to that idea and followed through with it. I eventually came up with an idea where the parents could set controls through an online account. Then he asked me how would the GPS communicate with the online account.
        Answer Question
    • Design a mobile app that is a rubic's cube game   Answer Question
    • Design an app that controls all the blinds in the building.   Answer Question
    • design a movie ticket kiosk   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft in October 2013.

I was a previous intern in IT for Microsoft and elected to interview on the Products side. I bluffed that I had standing offers with other companies which expedited my interview process. On-site interview was a full day with 6 interviewers who asked many questions and answered any I had.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you see the company and yourself in 5 years?   View Answer
    I negotiated a larger signing bonus of about 150%

Program Manager Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in October 2013.

Applied through University recruiting at a job fair where I was called for an on-campus interview. Spoke to the Microsoft interviewee who seemed very nice and asked general questions about why I wanted to be at Microsoft / what I'm currently taking at school / etc. Took about two weeks from submitting my application to getting notified by email of an interview. After the interview, it took nearly a whole month to hear back via email about the interview verdict. During this time, I emailed my recruiter but never received a response.

Interview Questions
    • Name 5 things you would change about your smartphone
      Name 10 things
      At what point would you have to say 'enough is enough'?
        View Answer

Program Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft in October 2013.

Campus recruiter selected and set up a 30 minute interview with a senior software developer.
    If you are not a programmer then don't apply to Microsoft. When they say they are recruiting for talent they meant only computer science talent.

Interview Questions
    • The interviewer is a seasoned software developer. He asked me to come up with an algorithm for searching Palindrome after I told him in the very beginning that programming is not my strong suit. I am a PhD in mechanical engineering, and I have extensive communication, networking and managing skills from co-founding startup companies to project management. But he seemed less interested in these and only wanted to know how much I can code. In the previous interview workshop, he said Microsoft is interested in communication, customer focus, analytical skills and thinking process. And Microsoft is not looking for a specific skill such as coding. But during the interview, it is really just programming skill he is looking for. So If you are not a programmer, please don't waste your time.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Microsoft in October 2013.

I received an email inviting me to attend an interview at the Grace Hopper Convention. The Interview was 30 minutes and it was all behavioral and situational. It was the equivalent to an on-campus interview, and the interviewer was very nice.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were all standard nothing difficult. But they did ask what is your favorite Microsoft product and is there any improvements that you would make to the product.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Meet with a recruiter at a career fair. 30 min interview asking design question and a coding question at the end. dont mention that you googled something. they don't like that very much.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft in September 2013.

Had an on campus interview, then was flown to Redmond. The on campus one was very simple and just involved how I would change a particular website to make it more user friendly. They then flew me out to Redmond and I had 4 hour long interviewers with current PMs. They were all very friendly, but I realized pretty quickly that my PM knowledge was lacking.

Interview Questions
    • The first interviewer in Redmond asked a very ambiguous question about windows 8 apps, but was expecting a very specific answer. The other questions were design me a thermostat for a hotel chain,and design me an online music store. All in all it wasn't too bad after the first round, that may have just been a weeding round, however.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

interviewed at Microsoft in September 2013.

Contacted university recruiter, she set me up with an on-campus interview. I had an hour-long interview and was setup with an on-site where they asked me PM questions (no coding). Heard back within a few (2 to 3) weeks.