Microsoft Project Manager Interview Questions

Updated Feb 27, 2015
Updated Feb 27, 2015

3.2

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Spoke to four different project managers over the course of four hours. In each interview I was asked to design something for a specific problem. I was given lunch at the halfway point between the interviews. When not with a manager I was with a large group of potential interns. We were told they would take as many as they felt performed well. There was no maximum.

Interview Questions

• Redesign a mobile site that you use.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

one round of school interview through recruiter, one phone interview general questions about background, one on-site interview: it included back to back interviews, 1-1, with different group members, each one about one hour. they responded in 1 day. very positive experience with challenging questions, even if you do not get the offer.

Interview Questions

• there are so many challenging questions that you have never heard of. the goal is to check your problem solving skills   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in January 2014.

Interview

Very Smooth, No need to worry about this at all.

Interview Questions

• Microsoft Interview Experience

On-Campus Interview (30 Mins)
      1) Tell me something about yourself
      2) Most difficult project so far?
      Why--- Drilled as much as he can

On-Site Interview at Redmond
      HR- Basically explained me the entire interview process.

Three Rounds of Interview
      Round-1(60 Mins)
      1) Tell me something about yourself:
      2) Any Interesting Project?
       In between Several Question on the project
      3) What was your role?
      4) Overall Impact of the project on the department?
      5) Design a wireless speaker for a home stereo system?
      6) Draw a conceptual Diagram

Round-2(60 Mins) with Principal Lead Program Manager
      1) Tell me something about yourself?
      2) Explained another project?
      3) Drilled down to the lowest possible level
      4) Think out of the box in the project?
      5) Any piece of software that you don't like and why you don't like?
      -- Opened that application in front of me and asked several questions?

Lunch-- Conversation about Phone Apps

Round-3(90 Mins) Group Program Manager
      1) Talked about project and my work
      2) What was your most difficult Project?
      3) Do something with a Grocery Store
      4) Design a Game App? Any Game app?
      5) If you get a chance to do any kind of job in the world. In which job you can have highest impact.
      ------------------------------------------------

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

The first round was behavioral and they asked some basic coding knowledge

Interview Questions

• Some questions asked were:
      what are some technical difficulties you have encountered before?
      what will you takeaway from this internship?

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Applied at a career fair. The representatives were really nice! I told them that I was interested in the Project Manager position.

Interview Questions

• They asked me to write a Linked List class and then right the sort method for that class.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in December 2013.

Interview

On campus interview followed by an on site location interview 2 weeks later

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

The interview was quite calm and smooth. One on one interview trying to assess which role would best fit myself.

Interview Questions

• Explaining various things to older/younger people scenarios   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

The first interview was completely a fit interview. Kind of surprised that they didn't ask anything really substantive. Some PM specific questions, but could be for any position. The interview was initially set up as being for any of Project Management or Software Development positions, but the interviewer asked which positions I was interested in and tailored the rest from there.

Interview Questions

• What about Microsoft are you excited about, and where would you like to work?

Suppose you went on a vacation and the engineers developed several applications. How do you prioritize implementing these developments.

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in June 2013.

Interview

Pretty straight forward. first interview was via phone with HR screener. Next was via phone with hiring manager. Last was a day in the office with 6 different individuals, starting with HR, then several individuals from the department/team, then the hiring manager, and lastly the "as appropriate". Offer came via HR contact, as did all negotiations, however the hiring manager also did contact me via email.

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft (Fort Lauderdale, FL).

Interview

Hiring Interview was a pleasant process in General, not too many Steps. One of the things I like about Microsoft is that they push the use of technology in all fronts specially Microsoft products. Therefore two of the 3 Interviews I had were via Skype. A 3rd Interview was in Person, they were very respectful of the experience I had on my resume. At the end don’t expect a lot of Push back if you are interviewing for a contract position because you are very low risk for them. They will be paying half of whatever that same position pays for an FTE, without benefits, plus they can let you go at any time with very little notice.

Interview Questions

• There was no such thing as difficult question; I did notice FTEs are so in to the Microsoft culture that they tend to dismiss a little bit any prior experience on Non Microsoft tools or products. (I.e. If you are a Project Manager, they expect you to have worked with MPM and SharePoint, period) Not much credit will be given to any other tool outside of that. The hiring manager even made a Joke related to my Android Phone..!   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiation was very limited, since I was offered a Contract position, and it was mainly done by my headhunter. Later I learned there is very little room for negotiations when that is the case.