Microsoft

Getting the Interview

36 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2012.

Interview Details – Applied on campus job fair. Got phone interview on second day. Then got on-site interview opportunity on second day. After three rounds on-site interviews including lunch interview from 8am to 1pm, I was told that there wasn't more interviews in the afternoon.

Interview Question – I didn't prepare for the algorithms, so I failed to write good algorithm. The interview questions weren't difficult.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in December 2013.

Interview Details – On campus interview followed by an on site location interview 2 weeks later

Interview Question – Tell me about a time... Lot's of resume questions   Answer Question

Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Microsoft in January 2014.

Interview Details – Very Smooth, No need to worry about this at all.

Interview Question – Microsoft Interview Experience

On-Campus Interview (30 Mins)
1) Tell me something about yourself
2) Most difficult project so far?
Why--- Drilled as much as he can

On-Site Interview at Redmond
HR- Basically explained me the entire interview process.

Three Rounds of Interview
Round-1(60 Mins)
1) Tell me something about yourself:
2) Any Interesting Project?
 In between Several Question on the project
3) What was your role?
4) Overall Impact of the project on the department?
5) Design a wireless speaker for a home stereo system?
6) Draw a conceptual Diagram

Round-2(60 Mins) with Principal Lead Program Manager
1) Tell me something about yourself?
2) Explained another project?
3) Drilled down to the lowest possible level
4) Think out of the box in the project?
5) Any piece of software that you don't like and why you don't like?
-- Opened that application in front of me and asked several questions?

Lunch-- Conversation about Phone Apps

Round-3(90 Mins) Group Program Manager
1) Talked about project and my work
2) What was your most difficult Project?
3) Do something with a Grocery Store
4) Design a Game App? Any Game app?
5) If you get a chance to do any kind of job in the world. In which job you can have highest impact.
------------------------------------------------

Project Manager

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details – The first round was behavioral and they asked some basic coding knowledge

Interview Question – Some questions asked were:
what are some technical difficulties you have encountered before?
what will you takeaway from this internship?

Project Manager Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details – Applied at a career fair. The representatives were really nice! I told them that I was interested in the Project Manager position.

Interview Question – They asked me to write a Linked List class and then right the sort method for that class.   Answer Question

Project Manager

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details – The interview was quite calm and smooth. One on one interview trying to assess which role would best fit myself.

Interview Question – Explaining various things to older/younger people scenarios   Answer Question

Project Manager

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details – The first interview was completely a fit interview. Kind of surprised that they didn't ask anything really substantive. Some PM specific questions, but could be for any position. The interview was initially set up as being for any of Project Management or Software Development positions, but the interviewer asked which positions I was interested in and tailored the rest from there.

Interview Question – What about Microsoft are you excited about, and where would you like to work?

Suppose you went on a vacation and the engineers developed several applications. How do you prioritize implementing these developments.

Durham, NC

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2012.

Interview Details – I submitted my resume through a recruiter, then got a call for an on campus interview. The interviewer was not what I expected Microsoft to bring. He was quite, barely talkative, asked basic questions and would not look at you while you answer a question. I was asked couple of behavioral questions regarding my resume, followed by a programming question that asked to find the number of a certain character in a string and that was it. The trick was to understand the way you tackle a problem and how you would consider all possible situations.

Interview Question – Why Microsoft? Don't under estimate the power of this question.   Answer Question

Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Microsoft in February 2013.

Interview Details – It's a first round on campus interview, the invitation was sent 1 week in front, you can select one section (30 minutes) in two days. The recruiter is very nice, discussed the resume and ask some general questions. Also ask you to describe a difficult situation you met before and how did you solve it . After that you can select one position you interested, then you will be asked some related questions. I chose project manager, so only one design question was asked.

Interview Question – Describe how you design an elevator.   View Answer

Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in January 2013.

Interview Details – Got an on-campus interview, asked me how to improve user experience for airport security. I talked as I went through several possible solutions and he offered alternate suggestions too. Got an email around a week and half later for an interview round in Seattle. Flied out, got in a nice Dodge Avenger with only 600 miles on it. Be sure to sleep good for your day.

Interview Question – First asked about what services you are excited about. Then he expands on that... and ask other questions like designing a kitchen. For second interview, we had lunch and chatted about random stuff, then went back to his office and he showed me that app some MSFT employees made, connecting letters to make a word or whatever. He asked me to make a Data Flow Diagram (DFD) of that. I think I went in a different direction than he hoped for. For third interview, a guy with unicorns in his office asked me about projects I did and expanded on that. I probably did the best in this interview, finally asking me questions related to my actual areas of expertise (Database design and C# programming).   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Microsoft

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!

Microsoft Videos

Microsoft – Why Work for Us?

What do you want in a job? Do you want more than a paycheck? At Microsoft, you can discover potential you didn’t know you had, push your limits, turn your ideas into reality and make a real impact on the industry and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Microsoft Project Manager interview questions and advice. All 36 interview reviews posted anonymously by Microsoft employees and interview candidates.