Microsoft

3.4

14 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Project Management and Business Consulting Graduate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reading, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in December 2014.

After submitting the online application and the situational judgement test I was invited for a Video Interview. I had to answer 8 questions, having 2 minutes per answer and 30 sec to prepare my answer. The questions were:
    1. What do you do/How do you feel when you receive unexpected new tasks to finish during the day?
    2. How do you respond to someone senior that challenges your opinion?
    3. Do you identify opportunities for improving efficiency regularly?
    4. How do you feel when dealing with negative colleagues?
    5. How do you take the lead in group projects- what do you do and why?
    6. Are you passionate about Microsoft?
    7. Do you find it challenging when working with people who are less like you?
    8. Who will you contact when you have an issue at work?

It took them 2 days to send me an invitation for the Skype Interview. Questions during the interview were such as:
    - Explain some kind of technology to someone who has no knowledge of technology.
    - What does success mean to you?
    - What qualities do you need in order to be successful at this MACH scheme?
    - Why are you passionate about Microsoft, why the Consulting scheme, why technology?
    - How do you handle change, how do you feel when unexpected changes occur?
    - Tell me what current news you know about Microsoft.

Interview Questions
    • Explain some kind of technology to someone who has no knowledge of technology.   Answer Question

Applications Development Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reading, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in February 2014.

One hour technical interview, one hour face to face technical interview, one hour management interview, one hour presentation based on a subject with no prior experience. I was given 4 days to research the subject on my own.

Interview Questions
    • Had to discuss a technical business requirement and then discuss what Microsoft technologies were appropriate solutions and five reasons why this technology was chosen. They are trying to get an idea of your thought process and problem solving abilities.   View Answer

MACH Technical Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reading, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in November 2013.

Applied online. Submitted CV and completed three competency based questions.

Next step was to pass an online, inductive reasoning test. This is a standard sequence test where you have to predict what comes next.

Next step was a video interview which consisted of 8 questions. You have thirty seconds to prepare for each one, and 2 minutes to answer them. You do not have to use all of the time allocated and can stop the recording and move on to the next recording when you are finished.
    The questions were around these subject areas:
    - Vision and impact on customers.
    - Managing a cross-functional team.
    - Making the most of international contacts.
    - Presenting results to peers.
    - Working in a structured environment.
    - Your results and how they make you stand out.
    - Personal goals and how you achieved them.
    - Criticism of an idea and how you would handle it.

Tips: make sure you have specific examples for each of the cases above. Research the company, it's vision and it's products. Appear confident and look directly at the camera instead of yourself on screen. Dress in business attire.

If you pass this stage there is a competency-based Skype interview, but I didn't get this far. After that there is an assessment centre.

Interview Questions
    • How would you communicate results differently to your peers vs. senior management?   Answer Question

Microsoft Intern Scheme Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reading, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in February 2013.

Initial standard online application, online aptitude tests, competancy phone interview, (unexpected/unlisted) technical phone interview.
    Final stage is the assessment centre which consists of a competancy interview followed by a technical one.

Interview Questions
    • (Whiteboard exercise) Implement strcmp using any language of your choice.   View Answer

MACH Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reading, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Microsoft in January 2013.

submitted online cv (standard questions like why do you want to work for microsoft)
    took online non verbal reasoning tests (very easy make sure that you do every single one of the practise papers before you even consider starting.
    had a phone interview the call quality was really bad and i couldnt understand the interviewer

Technical Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reading, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in September 2012.

My CV submission via Internet - there was a form to fill in but no covering letter option.
    Followed up within 2 weeks by a preliminary telephone screening From HR. General competency type questions and passion for IT sort of scenario.
    Next step was a 2nd Telephone Interview with the actual hiring manager, I have gone into more details below.

Interview Questions
    • After getting a good feeling from the first 20 mins of the 2nd Telephone Interview with the hiring manger, including a comment that he was stopping the competency questions as he'd like to continue them face to face at assesment centre, in a passing / closing question the following was proposed to me..
      "Say you were in an Elevator with the CIO of your account and he asks you.. Cloud? What is that all about?" How would you answer him or her?

Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reading, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in February 2011.

Very standard questions from HR, like give me an example of your team work. Give me an example when someone don't agree with you. For the presentation period, it gives two projects to choose and ask your decision and why.

Interview Questions
    This is only an intern job so not too much unexpected, too help you relax, the company has introduction round to keep you calm

Business Manager In Banking and Finance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reading, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in February 2011.

5 Interviews over 6 months. The last 3 interviews all on one day. The usual resume oriented questions as it was for a senior sales role.

The last step was a scenario based role play where I had to "fill in the gaps" in terms of how a sales scenario would run and identify selling opportunities.

Interview Questions
    Very fast, though not a lot of flexibility.

Technical MACH Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reading, England (UK)

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in December 2010.

First of all, each candidate must submit their CV on the recruitment website. They must answer a few standard competency based questions. I.e. "Tell me about a time you have demonstrated..."

If you make it passed the first stage, they arrange for you to do a phone interview. This was conducted by a recruitment agent who does not work in Microsoft. Again, it is competency based.

The final stage is an assessment centre, which consists of a couple of 1-on-1 competency based interviews, a technical case-study/presentation and a group exercise. There is also a technical interview gauge the level of your technical skill (may include a simple programming exercise). This technical interview does not contribute to the final decision to hire you (it was one of the best interviews I'd ever had, and I still did not get the offer).

The reason for why I did not get the offer -- apparently my answers in the competency interviews were not structured enough. This is a poor way to dismiss a candidate, as you can basically do well if you're good at talking (and worse if you're not). Most of the other candidates at the assessment centre were not Science graduates... Some had very little knowledge of the ins and outs of modern technology. It was very surprising for me (as I studied a computing related degree) that they had even got to the final stage of the hiring process.

The MACH hiring managers are not looking for technologically apt people, but more business minded people, EVEN for a technical position!

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reading, England (UK)

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in August 2010.

After HR screening interview, which is really nothing to worry about, was emailed a questionnaire containing a few usual sort of HR questions regarding working in a team, showing initiative etc. plus a few programming specific questions regarding project you have undertaken. It finishes with a couple of C++/C tests fr with you have to time yourself.

Phone interview with a manager was arranged with real time online programming tests.

Finally an onsite day of interviews assessments in Reading.