Microsoft Interview Questions in Redmond, WA

Updated Aug 24, 2015

3.4

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

The process took 8+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

The interview process was pretty straight forward asked a lot of question about my experience. Understanding of how to design an application is important. 4 interviews total after the initial phone screen.

Interview Questions

• How would you design a beverage machine application?   4 Answers

STE Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

a- contract position. Single interview, because nobody else on the team had time to interview, that took about 1 hour. Had a connection on the team, so maybe they just gave me the benefit of doubt. Manager interviewing was a great guy, and asked some standard QA questions. He did inform me, as he did know that I knew how to program, that a SDET position would ask more white board questions, then proceeded to ask me one. Lucky me, I had reviewed something very similar, so I might have surprised him at how quickly I was able to come up with a solution while applying for a STE position.

Interview Questions

• List out all the testing methodologies that you can remember; then expect to explain more about them later in detail.   Answer Question

User Experience Researcher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in August 2015.

Interview

First, I had an interview with a recruiter. We set up a time over email. She forgot to call me at the time and so we set up a second time. She was very nice and helpful. The hiring manager then called me a week later. It was a great conversation and we really clicked. About a week after that, someone from the manager's team called me. We agreed on a time. The guy called 15 min late. In addition, he was in a bad mood. The interview more more like an interrogation of my skill set and abilities rather than a two way conversation. Although he called me late, he did not extend the interview and it was over in 15 minutes. He also did not let me ask any questions and was in a rush to get off the phone. Clearly, he was having a bad day. Needless to say, I was not moved to the next phase, which is a shame.

Interview Questions

• Basic statistic questions and quantitative and qualitative data collection techniques.   Answer Question

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in August 2015.

Interview

There were overall 3 interviews as I am an internal candidate. First two were focused on data structures, the third one is about a design. Total 3 hours for interviews. The questions were related to Graph theory and dynamic programming in data structures area. The design question was related to building scalable notification system. Interviewers asked for recent experiences and challenges and also the reason for looking for change. The questions were closely related to the problems the teams are working on.

Interview Questions

• The technical questions are:1. How do you find if a directed graph is a tree and code for it? 2. Dynamic programming - 5 Painters to paint homes at the least cost - given different cost for painting with different colors(3 choice colors). Conditon: No adjacent homes in the 5 houses that are in a row can't have same color. 3. Design a scalable notification system.   1 Answer

Senior Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

Usually there are six rounds of interviews. First round is kind of technical screening and next two rounds of technical problem solving questions. Two more rounds for design questions and finally a discussion with the manager or skip level.

Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in July 2015.

Interview

Had to go through 10 interviews but did not get an offer. Very tough questions. They ask you to put together a 90 day business plan and present in a group format. They ask you about your biggest sales win from previous job and ask for 10 referrals from previous supervisors. They also call each of these previous supervisors. They ask for a written sales proposal and ask you to do it during an interview.

Interview Questions

• Why should we hire you ? What is your biggest sales win thru far ?   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in July 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by a Microsoft recruiter (who by the way gave me one of the worst customer experiences. The response time for each email was minimum of 3 days! ) who found a team for me to interview. I did not know that there was a Microsoft policy (and I was educated of this via my recruiter), that Microsoft does not schedule an interview more than 14 days in advance. So 14 days before I actually wanted to schedule an interview I contacted the recruiter. After being assured that my interview was scheduled, I applied for brief break from work. The interview did not happen when I had taken a leave of absense (so time off wasted!). I feel getting a good recruiter to work with is an important thing with Microsoft. There was a 45 min phone screen. There were 5 onsite interviews. 4 techincal and 1 hiring manager. I did not get an offer because the hiring manager said I had a lot of UI experience and the team had another candidate who had more backend experience. The hiring manager requested the recruiter to help me find another position but I did not pursue as the recruiter was a pain to work with.

Interview Questions

• Graph coloring   Answer Question
    • There is a pixel map with 1's representing land and 0 representing water. Find the number of continents (not connected groups of 1's).   Answer Question
    • Convert integers to roman numerals   Answer Question
    • Write a function to return a list of files (recursively) given the root directory Node. How will you design a many to many relational database ? What are the considerations you have when creating a web service? How would you do load balancing?   Answer Question

Senior Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in July 2015.

Interview

Employee brought me to the attention of the hiring manager. I did a phone screen with the hiring manager and made a good impression. When I cam in for the on-site interview, there were some domain knowledge questions, but mostly behavioral interview questions. I had 6 interviewers plus the HR person. Average difficulty. Pretty friendly.

Senior/Principal Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in July 2015.

Interview

Meet with 4 principal program managers. I had f2f meetings with 4 different principal program managers and each one in different discipline in the OSG. They explored my interest and tested my knowledge in the subject matter. One of the person who i had contacted took me to lunch and talked to me about the process and expectations in the company.

Interview Questions

• technical questions, and hypothetical solutions and my experience. One of the question was if a customer said that their internet browser IE is slow, how I would go about fixing this.   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

Applied through campus recruiting. One telephonic round and then 5 onsite rounds. Interview included solving one coding question, and then testing it. Focused more on how to would I test the code, and debug it.

Interview Questions

• * Merge two sorted linked list. The merged list should also be sorted. * Compact a string. i.e remove spaces * traverse a link list containing char* as data. test cases for the same. * reverse a string. test cases for the same. * remove all the given characters from a string.   Answer Question