Microsoft

Updated Dec 15, 2014

3.4

837 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

I initially had a on campus interview at my university. It was short 30 minute interview where they went over my resume and had a quick technical question.
    I heard back around 3 weeks later, mainly b/c I had a offer that was on the verge of expiring. They flew me out to the Redmond campus that same week.
    The day of the interview, I arrived on site around 8am and had a quick chat with HR. They told me which team I was interviewing for and sent me to the building for the interviews. I had 5 interviews and 1 lunch interview. This lasted until around 3PM.
    I received a call the next day and was extended an offer.

The technical questions asked:
    On-campus interview:
        remove duplicates from an unsorted array
    On-site interviews:
        implement strtok
        reverse string(ie. hello world => world hello)
        find lca for bst
        find first non repeating character in string
        given a list of characters and the function toLower, implement toUpper
        check for palindrome in string and singly linked list
        check if binary tree is bst

Interview Questions
    I did not negotiate, the compensation package was good enough

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

The onsite interview was amazing, you first get there and sit in the main lobby for about an hour. Here they want you to play with some of the stuff such as playing video games on their xbox one. They give you free coffee and drinks while you wait. They do this to help your relax. After this you talk to a recruiter for a while and he explains what team you'll be interviewing for and how each interview will happen.

The interviews were pretty nice, they were semi-difficult questions. Most of them were based on strings with a couple of graph theory questions. Some of the questions are based on your resume experience. If you get walked out after lunch the process is over, at the last interview you'll talk to your future potential manager.

Interview Questions
    • Develop a parallel file reader/writer between multiple threads.   Answer Question

Had an offer from Google for a full time position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in December 2014.

I am a mechanical engineer by training with past programming experience for primarily personal projects (video games and such) in multiple languages. I'm currently in a PhD program finishing up the masters portion. I casually chatted with a recruiter at a university career fair who told me that he will pass on my resume and that there "may" be something for me at Microsoft but he doesn't know what. He told me to contact the university recruiter in a few days and she might be able to help me better. They called me for a screening interview for an internship the day after.

I'm not - what I like to call - "classically trained" when it comes to computer science. I prepared for the screening interview by going through the MIT OCW Algorithms and Data Structures course and also reading Miller and Ranum's "Problem Solving with Algorithms and Data Structures." The screening interview went better than expected. Among other things, I was asked to design a parking lot and write code for detecting palindromes.

A few weeks later I got a call for a final round interview. It took a while for them to schedule an interview and they gave me a date which was 3 days after a major deadline with my sponsor and so I requested a later date. The scheduler worked with my availability and got me a date that worked. They flew me to Redmond for an interview with the Bing team (I wasn't given that information until the morning of the interview). I was supposed to get 3 to 5 interviews. My first interviewer was late because he missed an email sent by the receptionist. Everything after that went smoothly. I got through all 5 interviews. The third interview was over lunch (we wrote code after, not during). The fifth interview was with a program manager. The questions seemed relatively easy. The topics were: queue design, common ancestor search in a tree with no underlying structure, mixed uni and multi byte character strings, detection of unique addresses, and linked list scanning and element removal. Some interviewers wanted me to just solve a problem as well as I could. Others were looking for a discussion of the problem (one of which was actually very interesting and have the interviewer some new ideas).

At the very end I asked the hiring manager some subtle questions about my performance and what kind of competition I was facing. It's nice to be told that there is a "high probability" of them making an offer :)

Interview Questions
    • Suppose you have a string which has characters that are either one or two bytes long. A one byte character has 0 as the left most bit. The first byte of a two byte character has 1 as the left most bit but the second byte's left most bit (LMB) could be either 1 or 0. Implement an algorithm for removing 1 character from the end of the string. How would you do it while scanning backwards from the end of the string.

Followup: What if you needed to do this repeatedly? Is there some way you could reduce the time complexity to constant?

View Answer
    This is for an internship. No negotiation permitted.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft in December 2014.

I first applied through college job fair then was interviewed on campus couple weeks later where I was asked two questions one about writing an algorithm to count the height of a binary tree and the other about making an algorithm that spits out the binary of a given number. Then I was interviewed in Redmond about a month later where I was interviewed by four different people each one asked me a technical questions that wasn't that bad. Read the next section for the questions.

Interview Questions
    • Four technical questions:
      1) Given an MxM array make it rotate in a certain way. The rotation was a little complicated and I couldn't answer this question very well. The interviewer did not do a very good job explaining it.

Answer Question
    • 2) Write a new version of strcpy where it will return the null terminator no matter what. Did a better job on this one the guy said he was evaluating for correctness not only for idea.   Answer Question
    • 3) Given a string with many words make a function that would reverse all of the letters in every word. For this one I first wrote a crappy algorithm that takes O(n^2) but then I did a better one that worked in linear time.   Answer Question
    • 4) This guy was more complicated he first asked me different questions about object oriented programming. I did not know what a virtual class was. He then asked me to do some string manipulation and kept making the problem harder until we ran out of time. The problem he started off with was write an algorithm that counts how many repeated letters are in a string and kept going from there.

-- There was very few behavioral questions about my favorite projects.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in December 2014.

Oncampus Initial Screening round followed by 5 onsite rounds and 1 lunch interview. All onsite interviews are based on algorithms, data structures. Expect to write code with minimal errors and make sure all the corner test cases are passed.

Still thinking whether to accept or not as I have other competing offers.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

Applied during campus event at early September and invited to on-campus interview 2 weeks later. I thought I didn't do well on the interview, and didn't expect there would be a next step. However, 3 weeks after on-campus interview, I received an invitation to the final-round on-site interview at Redmond. At on-site interview date, there would be 3~5 interviews. Since I had an offer about to due, I told my recruiter to notify me the decision as soon as possible. At the end of the date, my recruiter told me that all the feedback were positive except for the last one which was not available yet. She promised me she would respond by early next week. I received a call from my recruiter and offer letter next Tuesday.

Interview Questions
    • Prefix tree: insert "cat", "car", "cart" --> ["ca", "t", "r", "rt"]
      How to test your program?

Explore Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in November 2014.

I talked to the recruiter on our campus job fair. Got a phone interview within two weeks and then was flown to Seattle for the final round. There were three interviews in the onsite/final round. We stayed at a fancy hotel and Microsoft reimbersed everything. The interviews were very good. All the interviewers were encouraging.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to code in all three of my final interviews. In the second one, I didn't check for illegal inputs and the interviewers walked me through some of his test cases and I realized I didn't take care of all the inputs that doesn't look like the example input.   Answer Question

Supply Chain Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in November 2014.

I had an initial phone screen and then flew to Redmond for final round interviews with about 20 other supply chain candidates. Microsoft spares no expense with making the company seem like a very attractive place to work. You'll have numerous opportunities to network with recent hires and experienced managers. During my scheduled interview time I met with 4 managers back to back. They all asked behavioral and situational questions, with surprisingly few supply chain case questions. I was definitely expecting a more technical interview.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really out of the ordinary: Explain how you would create a logistics plan for expanding the Surface line into new markets, etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in November 2014.

An initial screening interview on campus consisting of a brief (~5 minute) behavioral interview followed by a coding question on string manipulation/character arrays

after the screening interview I had five interviews on the Microsoft campus. All of these were brief (~5 minute behavioral) followed by an easy question and a harder question. Some data structure related questions, and a lot of algorithm design with identification of spacial and time complexity and usually ending with trying to reduce the complexity.

Interview Questions
    • find out whether a string is an anagram of another string   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied online. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in November 2014.

I submitted my application online and received a notification for the first round phone interview a few weeks later. It was mainly about my past experience and the typical HR questions. I was notified 5 weeks later for the final round on-site interview at the Redmond campus due to an upcoming deadline from another offer. The on-site interview consisted of one recruiter interview, three technical interviews and one lunch interview. I received an offer after two days.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to implement a queue in C. Parsing and storing a log, etc   Answer Question
    No negotiation, offer was good