Microsoft Interview Questions in Redmond, WA

Updated Apr 16, 2015

3.4

Software Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in February 2015.

Interview

This was a "hiring event" where 10 people were flown in together, met the coordinators as a group, then were each given their own room. Each candidate was interviewed by 4 Microsoft people, for 45 minutes each interview. There was a 15 minute break between interviews. Interviews were a combination of questions about your background/resume and a technical question involving coding and problem solving. At the end there was 5 minutes to ask about the job, but not a lot of detail given.

Interview Questions

• Solve the readers/writers problem. Do it without semaphores. Back up 3 large tables where records in one table reference records in the other two, while adds, deletes and updates are going on. No SQL DB, no referential integrity, no locking.   Answer Question

Executive Producer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in February 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by Aditi (a Microsoft recruiter) about the position and submitted my resume through them. Was scheduled for a phone interview (screen) which was rescheduled last-minute as an in-person. Another candidate was waiting in the lobby with me, and we were escorted in together - which was awkward. Halfway through my interview, the hiring manager said he wanted to send me through the full interview loop.

I came back the next week for back-to-back interviews with the director of management and the project lead. Basically, my first and third interviews went great, but the second was what lost me the job. I was told by Aditi that they had passed in favor of a better candidate. However, I'm aware that MSR has (for now) decided to stop interviewing for the position altogether. I'm also aware that I came off as 'flippant' to interviewer #2. That was a surprise, and though it may be irrelevant, I've only ever heard women referred to as flippant.

Interview Questions

• What's an example of a project you've led that you are particularly proud of?   Answer Question
    • What's your biggest concern or worry about this position?   Answer Question
    • What resources do you use to stay current with industry trends?   Answer Question
    • How would you develop content srrategy and build a strong content team?   Answer Question
    • Why are you leaving your current job?   Answer Question
    • What kind of culture are you seeking in a work environment?   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in January 2015.

Interview

Had a brief 30 minute interview on campus where I was given some coding and design problems. A few months later I was flown out for a final interview in Redmond. The day of interviews went from 9:00AM to 6:00PM and consisted of five interviews (and a lunch interview). I enjoyed talking with my interviewers and Microsoft goes to great lengths to ensure a pleasant experience for candidates.

Interview Questions

• I've been asked to not repeat the interview questions however I will say that they were designed on the spot and tailored to circumstances which we discussed. Some questions were impossible scenarios and didn't have an answer. They are looking to see how you think and your confidence in your answers. Anything on your resume is fair game so ensure you truly know what it says you do.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in January 2015.

Interview

one online round and 4 in house rounds (2 algorithms, 1 straight up coding and 1 behavioral/senior). got a offer confirmation the day of the interview - which was surprisingly fast and delightful ! Team - Azure AD.
    Had a telephonic conversation with team manager in under a week, and was a really good positive overall experience.
    The offer though was slightly lower than what I was currently making but I would have saved more if i moved to seattle - but the benefits were pretty neat. I ended up declining the offer due to a compensation mismatch.

Interview Questions

• the usual algo/coding questions. try careercup / geeksforgeeks.org / etc.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in January 2015.

Interview

Great experience for a university student! Everything started when Microsoft came to campus with some current employees and they explained the roles. Then we had an on-campus interview which determined if you were flown out to Redmond for 3-5 interviews. The entire process was paid for by Microsoft and even if you don't get an offer you still have an amazing all-expenses paid trip to Seattle!

Interview Questions

• Design questions, make sure you are able to determine requirements for a problem   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in January 2015.

Interview

I had a Initial Phone Screen Interview and had five technical rounds , In all interviews i had to talk about my past projects and work on a coding question.
    Just Putting in the onsite interview questions
    Given a array of shares , find when you have to buy and sell shares to get max profit.
    Searching in a sorted array
    Reverse words in a sentence
    Longest Palindrome in a string

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in January 2015.

Interview

CS questions + machine learning + linear regression. Not a CS major so only answered linear regression questions. Focused on computational part rather than mathematical part. I would suggest reviewing the basic data structure & algorithms, machine learning algorithms, and stats. It's purely technical. No behavioral questions at all. I think someone with a CS major/minor would be in better position for this job, instead of someone who studies statistics or math.

Interview Questions

• How to compute an inverse matrix faster by playing around with some computational tricks?   Answer Question

Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in January 2015.

Interview

Phone interview followed by an invitation for an in-person interview in Redmond, WA. The phone interview was a short 15-30 minute session. The interviewer asks very generic questions such as "what was your greatest failure and how did you deal with it". After passing this screening process, the recruiter will ask you to visit Redmond, WA (headquarters). The in-person interview is an all-day interview with managers and directors. It is quite demanding, so expect to talk a ton and keep a smile on all day.

Interview Questions

• Standard behavioral phone interview. In-person interview was more focused on the role.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in January 2015.

Interview

First interview was on-campus. Received an email that I had passed two weeks later but it took nearly two months to schedule the final round interviews.

Trip was planned and paid for by Microsoft. Started the day off lunch on their campus with the other interviewees, then we took a short tour of the campus. We had four interviews back to back and then were given the results within five business days.

SWE Interview

Application

Interview

I applied for the position through a Career Fair at my university, and was given a 30 minute in-person interview on campus. The interview was a little rushed because everything was behind schedule that day, but it was not incredibly difficult. The majority of the interview was based on behavioral questions.
    The reason why the process took a long time was because all of the final round interview slots they were offering conflicted with my exam schedule.
    The final round consisted of four interviews in a row from around 11:00AM to 4:30PM. The interviewers were all incredibly helpful, and although I did not perform very well in the interviews they allowed me to relax and stay calm throughout the whole day.

Interview Questions

• Flip a binary tree upside down and return an array of nodes (which are the new heads)   1 Answer