Microsoft

3.4

835 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Explore Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft.

I had a phone interview, then an on-site interview. All the phone interview questions were non-technical (e.g. tell me about a CS project you are working on, what kind of leadership challenges have you had), and the on-site interview consisted of three technical interviews.

Interview Questions
    • What is the best way to generate the fibonacci sequence.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer (SDE) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in May 2014.

Contacted by recruiter through school. Had a simple HR screening interview before onsite. Onsite had 4 interviews, questions were mostly algorithmic.
    Interview questions:
    1. Given an unsorted array of numbers from 1-n with a number missing, find the missing number.
    2. Given a dictionary and a function that returns if a work is in the dictionary, create a function that takes a non-space delimited string and outputs the same string with words separated by spaces.
    3. I forget the 3rd one.
    4. Given a matrix of 1s and 0s, replace every value in a column or row with 0 if 0 is in it.

Interview Questions
    • Given a dictionary and a function that returns if a work is in the dictionary, create a function that takes a non-space delimited string and outputs the same string with words separated by spaces.   View Answer

Senior Operations Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft in May 2014.

I was previously a consultant with the team that hired me so I did not go through the traditional recruiting process. I submitted my resume directly to the hiring manager after she reached out and then she had the recruiter set up the interview loops.

Interview Questions
    • As a consultant, I was always willing to say "yes" to all the project requests that were thrown my way so I could delight my client. As an FTE, I would be asked to take on work that we are not resourced for or do not align to the overall business strategy - how do you challenge the requesting party, especially when they manage your team's budget?   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate a signing bonus.

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

First, a third party recruiter contacted me and we talked for about 45 minutes. Then a Microsoft employee recruiter interviewed me for about 30 minutes. Then the hiring manager interviewed me. Then they flew both me and my spouse out for a two-day interview process.

Interview Questions
    • Most of the questions were experienced based (tell me about a time when .....) or behavioral based (what would you do if...) Toughest question was when one of the interviewers started out the interview by telling me that he didn't think I was right for the job.   View Answer
    I did not negotiate, the package was more than I asked for.

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Did the interview process for my internship, got an offer, did my internship, and got an offer to join as FTE at the end. The process was clear but dealing with HR folks has been quite cumbersome. Way too many people in the HR process!

Interview Questions
    • Since I was interviewing for a Program Manager role, all the questions rotated around software development management (read the "Mythical Man Month" book!), explaining products that I like and don't like (why I like it, why I don't, how I would change, what is good, etc). People were very nice and the interviewing process was very pleasant.
      Communication and social skills are a must for PMs, so if you like to work alone in front of your computer, that's not for you.

Answer Question
    Since I was coming straight from the internship and college, the HR didn't want to negotiate. I insisted and talked with my hiring manager...doubled my hiring bonus! Don't be shy!

Software Development Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

A phone interview after 3 weeks of applying.

Interview Questions
    • Prepare data structures - array, list, linked list, binary tree, hash maps, etc   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer (SDE) II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

Typical Microsoft interview process. Not very different from Amazon or Google. There are tons of interview questions and tips available in books and online. You usually go through a HR phone call, may be a pre-screening, then a technical screening usually over the phone and finally 4-6 rounds onsite. The onsite interviews is a "biased" interview - interviews share information. If your interview stops at no 3, you probably didn't make it. Even if you make it to the hiring manager interview, it is not a sure thing.

Interview Questions
    I didn't negotiate since I was doing a temp job and simply took whatever was offered.

Software Design Engineer (SDE) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Microsoft in April 2014.

I was contacted by a recruiter through a referral and got a call for the interview in a couple of weeks. It went for about 45 minutes and the interviewer asked me questions about auto scaling, load balancing and a lot of questions on distributed systems. He asked me to implement a queue, which was easy. After a couple of weeks, I was flown to Redmond and had 4 back to back interviews. The range of questions varied a lot in all the interviews. I had to explain in detail about the projects I had worked on and infact 1 of the interviews was solely based on one of my most complicated projects that required a lot of knowledge about distributed systems, nosql, sql, scaling. He asked me issues existing in current system and how to make changes to the current implementation to take care of a huge number of requests made to the database. All in all, the whole process was pretty exciting. I was nervous at first but the moment I met with my first recruiter, I became confidant and composed. If you go for a final round, it indicates that you did pretty well. It was a great experience. Prepare threads well. MS loves that.

Interview Questions
    • I did not expect to be grilled so badly on my projects.   Answer Question

Just a matter of interests. Was more interested in another project from another company. But it was a tough decision.

Software Development Engineer - Contract Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft.

4 rounds of interview for .net developer with algorithms and .net architecture questions.

Software Development Engineer (SDE) II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft.

I almost missed out because they typed my email wrong and they'd been trying to contact me for weeks. I had an on campus interview with some relatively straightforward questions. I was invited to visit on their campus. They had a nice set up with reimbursements etc, but they booked me the worst flight imaginable (I had to sleep on a bench at O'Hare). The interview went okay. I had one interview that was good and I answered questions correctly except for a brain teaser type question that I couldn't get more than a basic answer for. Another interviewer and I had a lot of trouble communicating. He saw I put Java on my resume (which I shouldn't have given how rusty I was) and kept posing his questions in Java despite my request for C/C++. The final interview had a bit manipulation/algorithms question. The interviewer said I had the most concise and efficient answer he'd seen. I also had a nice, long conversation with this guy about the company and how it's grown and other things. He, more than anything else made me want to work there.