Microsoft Interview Questions & Reviews in Redmond, WA

3.4

800 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Explore Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Microsoft.

I had a phone interview, then an on-site interview. All the phone interview questions were non-technical (e.g. tell me about a CS project you are working on, what kind of leadership challenges have you had), and the on-site interview consisted of three technical interviews.

Interview Questions
    • What is the best way to generate the fibonacci sequence.   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer In Test/Software Development Engineer In Test Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at Microsoft in March 2014.

Interviewed once on university campus, interviewer seemed bored and distant, asked a question regarding string manipulation that wasn't particularly difficult.

Interview in Redmond was alright, I really enjoyed the algorithm problems.

The team was great, I dressed in business (very) casual; most of my interviewers were in jeans and a t-shirt, one was not.

They didn't care what language I implemented my algorithms in, so I would generally use pseudocode initially and then drop into various languages to see what the interviewers were familiar with.

Very professional overall.

Interview Questions
    • The on-site interview consisted of five technical questions; code was required for four of the five:
      1. Write a small parser for strings that determines whether a string is a sequence of space-separated words
      2. Write an API for working with a specific type of document
      3. Given an undirected cyclic graph, find all paths from A to B without cycles
      4. The delivery of the fourth question was very confusing - basically they wanted me to implement a stack as a means of counting parentheses
      5. Given a function prototype and a return value, hypothesize regarding 'what happened'

The on-campus interview was a single technical question; the interviewer was extremely bored:
      A. I've forgotten this question; it was a relatively trivial string analysis problem
        View Answer

Wanted to work at a startup or two first

Software Design Engineer (SDE) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I interviewed through an employee referral - interviewed at Microsoft in April 2014.

I was contacted by a recruiter through a referral and got a call for the interview in a couple of weeks. It went for about 45 minutes and the interviewer asked me questions about auto scaling, load balancing and a lot of questions on distributed systems. He asked me to implement a queue, which was easy. After a couple of weeks, I was flown to Redmond and had 4 back to back interviews. The range of questions varied a lot in all the interviews. I had to explain in detail about the projects I had worked on and infact 1 of the interviews was solely based on one of my most complicated projects that required a lot of knowledge about distributed systems, nosql, sql, scaling. He asked me issues existing in current system and how to make changes to the current implementation to take care of a huge number of requests made to the database. All in all, the whole process was pretty exciting. I was nervous at first but the moment I met with my first recruiter, I became confidant and composed. If you go for a final round, it indicates that you did pretty well. It was a great experience. Prepare threads well. MS loves that.

Interview Questions
    • I did not expect to be grilled so badly on my projects.   Answer Question

Just a matter of interests. Was more interested in another project from another company. But it was a tough decision.

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in September 2010.

Career Fair --> On Campus Interview --> Fly out to Redmond --> 5 hour long interviews including a lunch interview --> Decision. Communication was prompt and detailed, and any follow up questions were answered in a timely manner.

Interview Questions
    • Abstract technical question: Interviewer draws a blender on the whiteboard and asks how I would test it. We talked about this for a good 25-30 minutes afterwards.   Answer Question

Senior Network Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I interviewed through other source. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Microsoft in October 2013.

They flew me in and put me up in a hotel (not great and not shabby either) and paid for a rental car and reimbursed me for meals etc. -- that was smooth and I appreciate that they have done that before and they did it fairly well compared to other instances. On the day of the interview, I was met by the recruiter, who gave me some background and then sent me with the first of 4 interviewers, all were cordial and gave me their full attention, clearly looking for good technical discussion. I was cut loose after the 4th interview, after lunch, and as I was preparing to get back in the car and drive to the airport, I was called back for another 4 interviews with as many people -- apparently this is par for the course -- the final folks don't waste their time if the first four don't think you are worth it. Makes sense. It was a good, interactive conversation amongst peers and that was better than the stump-the-chump routine some places have.

Interview Questions
    • If you were able to solve any one problem to do with the technical architecture underpinnings of the Internet, which one would you pick and why?   View Answer
    It was done in email, and consisted of some back and forth about relocation benefits and a small increase in base salary after denying a bigger one (traded for a signing bonus).

Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Microsoft in January 2014.

On-campus interview, then called onto Redmond campus for a full day of interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Similar to questions on glassdoor, careercup and cracking the coding interview. How to test a vending machine.   Answer Question

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft.

First, a third party recruiter contacted me and we talked for about 45 minutes. Then a Microsoft employee recruiter interviewed me for about 30 minutes. Then the hiring manager interviewed me. Then they flew both me and my spouse out for a two-day interview process.

Interview Questions
    • Most of the questions were experienced based (tell me about a time when .....) or behavioral based (what would you do if...) Toughest question was when one of the interviewers started out the interview by telling me that he didn't think I was right for the job.   View Answer
    I did not negotiate, the package was more than I asked for.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Microsoft in June 2013.

Interview was fairly technical, There were five rounds of interviews. Each interview was an hour. There was a lunch interview which lasted 90 mins.

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Microsoft in March 2014.

Overall, Microsoft has a great recruiting program, with a seemingly big budget. Overall experience was great and very well organized, but recruiter seemed flaky and standoffish. The big disappointment for me was being turned down after being interviewed by a person that doesn't understand what Denial of Service attack is, and what is the difference between Denial of Service and Distributed Denial of Service Attack.

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

The interview process was a great experience. My initial interview was an on campus interview where we discussed some of the information on my resume as well as the infamous why Microsoft question. We touched a little on coding, basic algorithm and implementation stuff followed by some design talk which is where I think I did the best. The following day I received an email saying I was scheduled to be flown out to Washington for final round interviews. I was asked to provide several options for interviews. My initial onsite interview was cancelled due to a conflict and had to be rescheduled. Over the next few days I was asked to correspond with Microsoft Staffing to reschedule. My interview was then moved to the following week. Microsoft put me up in a really nice hotel and offered me a stipend for food while I was there. On my interview day I met with a recruiter who gave me an overview of what to expect throughout the day. She then placed me on a shuttle to my first interview. I had a series of 4 interviews the last 2 significantly better than the first 2. After completing all of my interviews I was taking back to where I had began the day where I received a parting gift. A few days later I received the email that I would not be getting the offer. The overall experience was really good though no complaints.

Interview Questions
    • I struggle with a technical question during my first interview that asked something along the lines how would you create and implement database that deals with multiple servers?   Answer Question