Microsoft Interview Questions in Redmond, WA

Updated Apr 16, 2015

3.4

Explore Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in November 2014.

Interview

I talked to the recruiter on our campus job fair. Got a phone interview within two weeks and then was flown to Seattle for the final round. There were three interviews in the onsite/final round. We stayed at a fancy hotel and Microsoft reimbersed everything. The interviews were very good. All the interviewers were encouraging.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to code in all three of my final interviews. In the second one, I didn't check for illegal inputs and the interviewers walked me through some of his test cases and I realized I didn't take care of all the inputs that doesn't look like the example input.   Answer Question

Supply Chain Professional Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in November 2014.

Interview

I had an initial phone screen and then flew to Redmond for final round interviews with about 20 other supply chain candidates. Microsoft spares no expense with making the company seem like a very attractive place to work. You'll have numerous opportunities to network with recent hires and experienced managers. During my scheduled interview time I met with 4 managers back to back. They all asked behavioral and situational questions, with surprisingly few supply chain case questions. I was definitely expecting a more technical interview.

Interview Questions

• Nothing really out of the ordinary: Explain how you would create a logistics plan for expanding the Surface line into new markets, etc.   Answer Question

Explore Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in November 2014.

Interview

I applied online, and then emailed my university recruiter letting him know that I had applied online. He responded to my email saying he would flag it internally. Every other explore intern I talked to had either a phone screen or an on-campus screen. I didn't get screened at all, and just got an email saying they would fly me out for final rounds.

There would be three interviews, which I interpreted as two technical (SDE and SDET), and one PM interview. This is what most other people got. I instead got three technical interviews. My third interviewer was actually the PM, so I expected to get a question like "design a clock for the blind" or something. Instead, he asked me Question #3 (which I found the hardest).

Interview Questions

• Write an algorithm that would take a given string, and permute through all the anagrams of said string. So ABC would generate ABC, ACB, BCA, BAC, CAB, CBA. Now do this in constant space.   1 Answer
    • Given the index of an excel spreadsheet column, generate the column label. So you'd have A, B, C, ... Z, AA, AB, etc.   1 Answer
    • You are given a string and a regex-esque pattern. In the pattern, ? maps to exactly one character, and * maps to 0 to infinite characters that can be any character. The following strings would match the pattern ab*dc?: abdca, abdce, abbbbbdcz, abiokdcp   1 Answer

Wasn't willing to choose Explore over a real SWE offer.

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in November 2014.

Interview

An initial screening interview on campus consisting of a brief (~5 minute) behavioral interview followed by a coding question on string manipulation/character arrays

after the screening interview I had five interviews on the Microsoft campus. All of these were brief (~5 minute behavioral) followed by an easy question and a harder question. Some data structure related questions, and a lot of algorithm design with identification of spacial and time complexity and usually ending with trying to reduce the complexity.

Interview Questions

• find out whether a string is an anagram of another string   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in November 2014.

Interview

I submitted my application online and received a notification for the first round phone interview a few weeks later. It was mainly about my past experience and the typical HR questions. I was notified 5 weeks later for the final round on-site interview at the Redmond campus due to an upcoming deadline from another offer. The on-site interview consisted of one recruiter interview, three technical interviews and one lunch interview. I received an offer after two days.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to implement a queue in C. Parsing and storing a log, etc   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation, offer was good

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in November 2014.

Interview

I got a phone call from their office in Redmond and the interview lasted 45 minutes. The interview included short answer technical questions to behavioural and problem solving questions. No coding questions.

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA).

Interview

Internal transfer request after completing a few stretch assignments on the PM team. Process began with an informational interview where I was encouraged to formally apply. Formal interview loop was a set of 6 back-to-back interviews with members of Dev, PdM, Services, and Test teams (most of whom I knew, one that I didn't know well). The role was for a product I had been working on for a number of years, but had been acquired by Microsoft two years prior to the interview. General consensus from Microsoft leaders was that my product group was inferior in all aspects, and that came out very clearly in the interview process.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to design a network topology for a specific use case. I'm still not sure why since the role was specific to a data analytics engine - why not ask me to propose a design for some improvement to the data platform?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in October 2014.

Interview

I applied online in August and got an phone interview. We talked about my past experience and I was given a simple brain teaser and a design question. Mostly focused on my work/project experience.

Waited 4~5 weeks and then they told me they want to fly me out to Redmond to do onsite interviews.
    Travel + hotel all booked by their travel team. I was attending a conference in a different city the week before my interview but it was no problem for them to adjust my flight for my convenience.

Everything was really nice, they do really take care of their employees and potential ones as well.

On the interview day, I woke up around 6 and went out to the lobby of the hotel around 6:45 am , there were other people who are also waiting to get picked up by Microsoft. We arrived at the building where interviews are held. Breakfast at 7:30, mingle with other interviewees, and then interview started at 8. Each 45 minutes long with 15 min breaks in between. Lunch at noon, we all headed to the "Commons" (or whatever they call it) it's the main area of the campus. Where we ate was giant food court style, all sorts of food available. etc.
    After lunch, we headed back to the interview building and they told us some logistics of what's next. 1.5 days later, I got an email asking when I'll be available to "chat" and the next day, my recruiter called and said I got the position.

One thing I want to say is that, Redmond + Bellevue is dominated by Microsoft buildings and it seems that you get a lot of respect if you are an Microsoft employee. They even have a "Microsoft employee only" counter at the Seattle airport. Blew my mind... Also, these cities or towns....they are brand new and also their environment is really nice, trees and mountains everywhere with fresh air and etc.

Interview Questions

• NDA, but nothing difficult. get ready to talk about every past work experience/projects. They are looking to hire someone innovative and a team player. I didn't get any questions related to any Microsoft products which was surprising. The company is going through a lot of changes (for good I believe) and just show them your logic solving questions...mostly importantly, have fun doing it, get to know the interviewers.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They offered a lot more than the avg stat on this site. the avg here it says $6,600 ~ $6,800/month but I got offered more than that.. (< $7,500 though). I was gonna negotiate considering I had offers from other companies but I heard the number and it was way too good to negotiate.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in October 2014.

Interview

I had one phone screening interview that of 90 minutes length.

After the interview, the recruiter and scheduler contacted me to schedule the onsite interview.

Microsoft took care everything about hotel reservations, ticketing airplanes, airport pickup taxi and etc.

There were three technical interviews and one interview with hiring manager.

Interview Questions

• Mostly string manipulation and array related questions. I got one tree related question that needed to be used with DFS traversals.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in October 2014.

Interview

Applied during university career fair. Got a fast response and had a on-campus interview the next week.
    First-interview:
    -Asked about projects
    -Some behaviour questions
    -How to find the number of occurrences of an integer in a shorted array?
    Got an invitation to the on-site interview the week after. Flew to Seattle about three weeks later. Everyone in my group had 4 interviews, so don't worry if you don't get more in the afternoon.
    -There is a projector that can project images all 4 walls in the room and it is able to recognize gestures. Design an application that can benefit from this.
    -Design a smart watch
    -Implement a function that returns a boolean of whether two rectangles overlap.
    -Implement a function that returns whether two strings are identical. One of the string can have '*' which means 1 to infinite random characters can be in between and '#' means only one character in between. For ex: abcd vs ab#d --> true, abcd vs abcbcd --> true
    -Why do you want to work in Microsoft?
    -What is your favourite product and how will you improve it?
    -Name a time there was a conflict during a group project and how did you resolve it?
    -What do you think about Windows 8? How would you improve it?

Interview Questions

• Implement a function that returns a boolean of whether two rectangles overlap.   Answer Question