Microsoft Sales Interview Questions

Updated Aug 16, 2015

3.2

Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Redmond, WA) in July 2015.

Interview

Had to go through 10 interviews but did not get an offer. Very tough questions. They ask you to put together a 90 day business plan and present in a group format. They ask you about your biggest sales win from previous job and ask for 10 referrals from previous supervisors. They also call each of these previous supervisors. They ask for a written sales proposal and ask you to do it during an interview.

Interview Questions

• Why should we hire you ? What is your biggest sales win thru far ?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Microsoft

Sales Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Did not apply directly/specifically, but a friend sent my resume through internally and I was brought in to speak with people about an open role. Really odd and inconvenient interview process. There are three people involved pre interview - two separate recruiters and a staffing company. All 3 got their wires crossed a couple of times leading up to the interview, but they were nice, responsive and helpful. Scheduling process was messy, though. Interview lasted 6 hours - 3 interviews in the morning then a useless two hour break, then one more interview. Could not leave the premises so had to sit alone in a tiny room/wander around an empty lobby for 2 hours. Lunch was provided but no one told me it was there until I asked. Was interviewing for a senior position with mostly very junior folks. They asked silly questions that were irrelevant to the job, and seemed visibly thrown when I started asking them specific questions about the job I was interviewing for. The type of interview where they talk and talk and talk about themselves but are not sure how to react to questions. Probably okay for a lot of people, I didn't like it. You definitely need to go into the room with an insanely eager attitude - at my career level, I'm looking for an educated conversation - not so much the dog and pony show type of interview. This was definitely the latter. Office was dreary and dismal and they stuck me in a tiny room, almost like an interrogation room, for 6 hours. Really uncomfortable, created an uneasy vibe.

Sales Interview

Interview

Straight forward...clearly defined process. Recruiters work diligently to keep you up to date and meeting times are always respected.

Sales Interview

Interview

I went through my interviews at Microsoft during my senior year in college. The first interview was on campus, and the interviewers wanted to know that you had a passion for technology and were smart. It was not too intensive or challenging, as long as you had enough to experience to be able to talk to a few of their questions. The second interview was on the Microsoft campus. It consisted of five, hour-long interviews and I was asked a series of questions about Microsoft products, past work experiences, and improvements that Microsoft could make.

Interview Questions

• We had an evening event the night before the interviews, giving us all the opportunity with the 5-10 people we may be interviewing with the next day. One of the questions I had was, "What were the names of everybody in the room yesterday, and describe them in one word." I luckily remembered all the names, but was expecting more technical questions. Props to the question, given it was for a sales position.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Los Angeles, CA) in September 2011.

Interview

I applied online for the position and was contacted by the hiring manager. We had a telephone interview discussing my qualifications and I was invited to meet with him for a 1:1 onsite. Our 1:1 interview lasted one hour, and it was very clear during our conversation that my professional qualifications exceeded his own work experience. I was also surprised that the manager disclosed that he had received HR training in how to interview and hire the "right candidate" (A good indication of a lack of his management experience). I left the interview knowing that my time and expenses spent were basically a loss. I heard nothing further from this individual. I really expected more of Microsoft. Certainly this is not their normal process in hiring talent .

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Microsoft (Irvine, CA) in May 2010.

Interview

Interviewing at Microsoft requires a commitment to the process which can include multiple interviews and a "finals day" involiving interviews with multiple panelists. In some cases, you'll be required to deliver a presentation or engage in a problem solving session. Role plays may be involved for customer facing roles. The culture at Microsoft is results-oriented and the interview process is designed to determine if people have the necessary job skills and are also a cultural fit. Onboarding and training can be somewhat informal in some groups and the organization rewards "self starters" that can transition quickly into their jobs while relying primarily on peer mentoring through that process.

Interview Questions

• Define accountability and explain how you would demonstrate accountability in your work.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Microsoft (Washington, DC) in May 2008.

Interview

I declined to continue interview process because I received a better job. I thought they were also somewhat arrogant but after all they are Microsoft. They had me wait over an hour to meet with hiring manager while he went out to get coffee at that point I just gave up as I already close to accepting a different position.

Sales Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Horrible!!! They treated me like muck! They said "What's your name" and I replied Jim, he then walked off and told someone "lol, he's called Jim". They both burst into laughter.

Sales Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview

Whole process was crisp and coordinated very well. HR was informing/updating all the time pre and post interview. Post interview updates are very rare, whole experience was really good - thanks MSFT

Sales Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Microsoft in January 2015.

Interview

Internet interview with questions flashed and you have 1 min to prepare and 2 minute to answer. So plan your time carefully and make sure you remain calm. They ask regular questions and you must be an all rounder who is well versed with your personality as well as their company. All the best!