Microsoft

Getting the Interview

18 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details – Did not apply directly/specifically, but a friend sent my resume through internally and I was brought in to speak with people about an open role.

Really odd and inconvenient interview process. There are three people involved pre interview - two separate recruiters and a staffing company. All 3 got their wires crossed a couple of times leading up to the interview, but they were nice, responsive and helpful. Scheduling process was messy, though.

Interview lasted 6 hours - 3 interviews in the morning then a useless two hour break, then one more interview. Could not leave the premises so had to sit alone in a tiny room/wander around an empty lobby for 2 hours. Lunch was provided but no one told me it was there until I asked.

Was interviewing for a senior position with mostly very junior folks. They asked silly questions that were irrelevant to the job, and seemed visibly thrown when I started asking them specific questions about the job I was interviewing for. The type of interview where they talk and talk and talk about themselves but are not sure how to react to questions. Probably okay for a lot of people, I didn't like it. You definitely need to go into the room with an insanely eager attitude - at my career level, I'm looking for an educated conversation - not so much the dog and pony show type of interview. This was definitely the latter.

Office was dreary and dismal and they stuck me in a tiny room, almost like an interrogation room, for 6 hours. Really uncomfortable, created an uneasy vibe.

Interview Question – Questions were typical and bland. Nothing crazy.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Microsoft

Interview Details – Straight forward...clearly defined process. Recruiters work diligently to keep you up to date and meeting times are always respected.

Interview Question – What are you most embarrassed about?   Answer Question

Interviewed at Microsoft

Interview Details – I went through my interviews at Microsoft during my senior year in college. The first interview was on campus, and the interviewers wanted to know that you had a passion for technology and were smart. It was not too intensive or challenging, as long as you had enough to experience to be able to talk to a few of their questions.

The second interview was on the Microsoft campus. It consisted of five, hour-long interviews and I was asked a series of questions about Microsoft products, past work experiences, and improvements that Microsoft could make.

Interview Question – We had an evening event the night before the interviews, giving us all the opportunity with the 5-10 people we may be interviewing with the next day. One of the questions I had was, "What were the names of everybody in the room yesterday, and describe them in one word." I luckily remembered all the names, but was expecting more technical questions. Props to the question, given it was for a sales position.   Answer Question

Irvine, CA

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in May 2010.

Interview Details – Interviewing at Microsoft requires a commitment to the process which can include multiple interviews and a "finals day" involiving interviews with multiple panelists. In some cases, you'll be required to deliver a presentation or engage in a problem solving session. Role plays may be involved for customer facing roles. The culture at Microsoft is results-oriented and the interview process is designed to determine if people have the necessary job skills and are also a cultural fit. Onboarding and training can be somewhat informal in some groups and the organization rewards "self starters" that can transition quickly into their jobs while relying primarily on peer mentoring through that process.

Interview Question – Define accountability and explain how you would demonstrate accountability in your work.   View Answer

Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in September 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online for the position and was contacted by the hiring manager. We had a telephone interview discussing my qualifications and I was invited to meet with him for a 1:1 onsite. Our 1:1 interview lasted one hour, and it was very clear during our conversation that my professional qualifications exceeded his own work experience. I was also surprised that the manager disclosed that he had received HR training in how to interview and hire the "right candidate" (A good indication of a lack of his management experience).

I left the interview knowing that my time and expenses spent were basically a loss. I heard nothing further from this individual. I really expected more of Microsoft. Certainly this is not their normal process in hiring talent .

Washington, DC

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Microsoft in May 2008.

Interview Details – I declined to continue interview process because I received a better job. I thought they were also somewhat arrogant but after all they are Microsoft. They had me wait over an hour to meet with hiring manager while he went out to get coffee at that point I just gave up as I already close to accepting a different position.

Interview Question – does not apply   Answer Question

Sales

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in December 2012.

Interview Details – telephone interview, later in house day

Interview Question – sell this pen   Answer Question

Reading, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Microsoft in July 2009.

Interview Details – Two interviews were held, plus a presentation. The first was with Human Resources and then one with the Hiring Manager. After this a final presentation was held on a separate day to a group of future peers and line of business people, plus the hiring manager,
The interviews and presentations were all very well organised, the only dip was in the actual HR team. HR at MSFT is outsourced and was not that efficient in terms of paperwork.

Interview Question – The main challenge was around market analysis and applying business acumen to specific scenarios relevant to the cloud business market. This involved analysis a number of different industries and potential business scenarios, and identifying routes to market and estimating business growth and turnover.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Fairly straightforward, but not huge flexibility was available. This was probably due to me being near the top of the pay band, and certainly I subsequently found I was earning as much or more than other employees in more senior roles.

Sales

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Microsoft.

Interview Details – Applied online but of course hear nothing at all. Made a connection to a specific posting through an internal contact and got a response right away. Took some time to get schedules coordinated but got to talk directly to the hiring manager with no pre screening by HR. I will find out more but I think you must have to engineer your resume to get a hit from the HR computer which seems improbable

Interview Question – Why do you NOW want to work with MS at this point in your carreer? Most of the questions were about my background BUT their job descriptions were so complex and internal that you have to spend half of the interview (embarrassingly) having them explain it to you.   Answer Question

Sales

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Microsoft in January 2012.

Interview Details – Interviewer was a new manager and was not professional and very inexperienced. She said it was nearly impossible to get into MS as an outsider- during the interview!!

Interview Questions

Interviews for Top Jobs at Microsoft

Worked for Microsoft? Contribute to the Community!

Microsoft Videos

Microsoft – Why Work for Us?

What do you want in a job? Do you want more than a paycheck? At Microsoft, you can discover potential you didn’t know you had, push your limits, turn your ideas into reality and make a real impact on the industry and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Microsoft Sales interview questions and advice. All 18 interview reviews posted anonymously by Microsoft employees and interview candidates.