Microsoft Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA

Updated Jun 23, 2015

2.6

Senior IOS Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Microsoft (San Francisco, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Technical Phone screen and an onsite interview. Was interviewing for the Outlook team. This is a recently acquired company (which i a not sure why microsoft did it).
    The interview was very easy. But, somehow the interviewers had made up their minds in advance not to select me.
    This team, is really weird since they got acquired just 6 months ago. During interview, i felt as if they themselves hated being at Microsoft.

Interview Questions

• How do you find maximum occurrence of word in a string? How do you handle a server error?   1 Answer

3D Artist Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft (San Francisco, CA) in June 2014.

Interview

I had an interview with a member of teams in Microsoft games. I met one of HRs in GDC two years ago. She liked my portfolio and wanted to have me in Seattle. I sent my resume and portfolio through LinkedIn. But she moved to new studio. My case was on hold. New HR helped me out for passing my portfolio to artists. Since my portfolio passed to artists, HR set up the time for interview.
    It was the first time for me to have an interview with artists on phone. I usually had an interview with HR. But I was waiting for one and a half month for phone interview with artists. It delayed a few times because artists had something comes up.
    They were looking for 3D artist for halo game. It took 30 mins on phone. Most of questions were about portfolio workflows and experience. I asked if there is art test . They used to have an art test. not any more. Questions about experience gave me hard time on phone. At that time I was just graduated from school. Eventually I don't have previous experience so that I can't get a chance. But if someone who has experience like AAA game and good portfolio, not hard to get a job in Microsoft. That's how I feel.

Interview Questions

• What kind of games are you published? have you ever experienced about making a real game?   1 Answer
    • Hom many years have you been using Maya Program?   1 Answer
    • What kind of software do you use when you sculpt terrain?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Microsoft (Berkeley, CA) in November 2013.

Interview

I applied to the SDE internship position at my school's career fair and got a response a few weeks later. I spoke to the recruiter about possible graphics related jobs and he made it sound quite promising, even said "yep, we'll interview you." The interview itself was mostly behavioral questions like your greatest achievement, how would you use technology to change the world, etc. Only one technical question.

Microsoft’s Windows Phone Division Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Microsoft (San Francisco, CA) in July 2013.

Interview

I was initially contacted by a Microsoft representative about a few months ago. She wanted to share a couple of opportunities she had at Microsoft’s Windows Phone Division that she felt I would be a good fit for. I was traveling out of country to Kathmandu the very next day, so we couldn’t really schedule anything at that moment. We decided to get back in touch after I was back in the U.S. While I was in Kathmandu, I was approached by another Microsoft Talent Sourcer who had a different set of opportunities based on Mountain View, CA and Redmond, WA. I got back in touch with her when I came back, filled out a brief questionnaire about my work history, skills, academics, and work status and then I got my first interview scheduled

Interview Questions

• What makes you select Microsoft?   1 Answer

Product Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Microsoft (San Francisco, CA) in February 2013.

Interview

The interview was a three step process. First interview was a phone interview and the second interview was a group interview. The last interview was a one on one interview with the store manager.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question I faced was when they asked us why they should hire another candidate. This question was asked during the group interview.   Answer Question

Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

interviewed at Microsoft (San Francisco, CA) in February 2013.

Interview

Pretty selective it seems. Took me months of applying to get an interview. The Interview only lasted about 30 min and was relatively relaxed compared to other companies.

Interview Questions

• Do you have a Microsoft-based computer?   1 Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Microsoft (San Francisco, CA) in October 2012.

Interview

Overall the interview process ran very smoothly and campus recruiter was very easy to contact.

Product Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Corte Madera, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Microsoft (Corte Madera, CA) in July 2012.

Interview

Copies the Apple store. First will be a group interview where they show videos of the fun things that happen. Then 1-1 with an Assistant Manager. If you pass that on to a 1-1 with the store manager.

Interview Questions

• Would you move for the job. Was weird for a regular retail job.   Answer Question

Negotiation

None

Research Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Microsoft (San Francisco, CA) in March 2012.

Interview

I got to know this opportunity from advisor. And then I contact the person who want to hire an intern from our department. We set up a phone interview and chat for a while. Then later they decide to give me the offer.

Interview Questions

• It is all about probability and statistics, since that is the background I have.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Microsoft (Richmond, CA) in November 2011.

Interview

First round interview is not too bad. The interviewer is very very nice.
    The question I was asked was about pointer manipulation and a testing question.
    Was called for second round interview on-site which is two days from now